Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Lexicon posted:

Really? I don't see how that's possible. It's a far bigger, more awkward device with much greater travel per keystroke.

I do the same on full-sized iPads and type faster than on my iPhone… Way less errors too.

Perhaps people have different sized hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

tuyop posted:

I don't think I have huge hands or whatever, but here:

As for speed, I don't know. Maybe thumbs don't take much time to travel an extra inch or whatever?

Fair enough. I've always been of the opinion I could best most Mini typers at typing speed on my iPhone, but probably not most full-size users. Alas, this lives in the realm of my own conjecture for now.

ddogflex posted:

Perhaps people have different sized hands.

:mad:

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I just sold my iPad 2 and bought the Mini 2. But I'm finding the volume is not very loud when it's on max. I have an iPhone 5 and 6 here and they are considerably louder. Is that normal? Other than the volume I'm loving the Mini 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

iLikeMidgets posted:

I just sold my iPad 2 and bought the Mini 2. But I'm finding the volume is not very loud when it's on max. I have an iPhone 5 and 6 here and they are considerably louder. Is that normal? Other than the volume I'm loving the Mini 2.

I had one that I had to return for a power button issue and it was much quieter than the replacement they gave me. There may be some variation within models here. I usually use a UE Boombox Mini for sound if I care about the quality or volume anyway, I recommend doing that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Holy poo poo. This is looking like a hell of an upgrade. Now we just need some GPU benchmarks.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Yeah, the Air series really does beat the pants off the minis in almost every way now (did before too).

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, the Air series really does beat the pants off the minis in almost every way now (did before too).

Weren't they exactly the same before?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

bvoid posted:

Weren't they exactly the same before?

The mini is underclocked and has a less vibrant screen. I have a mini but I never use it once I inherited someones Air, the original iPad size is just so much more enjoyable.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

unlawfulsoup posted:

The mini is underclocked and has a less vibrant screen. I have a mini but I never use it once I inherited someones Air, the original iPad size is just so much more enjoyable.

Look how wrong this post is.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If I'm fine with the storage space on my 16GB iPad 3, will I be fine with the 16GB Air 2? I'm wondering if the move to 64 bit or some other mumbo jumbo means the same apps will take up more space on the Air 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

If I'm fine with the storage space on my 16GB iPad 3, will I be fine with the 16GB Air 2? I'm wondering if the move to 64 bit or some other mumbo jumbo means the same apps will take up more space on the Air 2.

It depends. IPad only games are quite large and very good - XCOM is 3gb, for instance.

I have a 32gb and it's almost full with just games and productivity media and photo stream poo poo, no music or video at all.

If you're more like my parents and all you'll use it for is to browse the Internet and hold recipes, then 16gig will be fine, otherwise you'll regret it.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
drat, I have a perfectly good 128GB iPad Air, but the Air 2 sounds awesome. How much could I get for my Air, do you suppose? What's the best place to sell it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Giraffe posted:

drat, I have a perfectly good 128GB iPad Air, but the Air 2 sounds awesome. How much could I get for my Air, do you suppose? What's the best place to sell it?

They're going for about $675 on eBay. eBay is the best (price wise) and least convenient place to sell in my experience. You might be good with Craigslist or kijiji depending on where you live, as well.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Residency Evil posted:

Look how wrong this post is.

Pretty sure even Apple agrees, notice how much of a boost your mini 3 got this year. :flame:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OldSenileGuy posted:

Spend the extra $100 and get the 64gb model. With the power of the a8x and 2gb of ram it should be good for at least three years.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Giraffe posted:

I just ebayed my 64gb for $620, so I suspect you could probably get pretty close to $700. If you're not in a super rush, or if you don't need the money from your current iPad to fund your new one, just list with a high starting bid and relist as needed. You'll get a bite at a high price sooner or later.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I gave my old iPod Touch (2010) to a friend who needed something to check e-mails with on the road, and I want to replace said iPod with an iPad. I'm looking at the iPad Air and the Mini 2. I would mainly use it to read magazines and newspapers online (which was kinda painful on the iPod), browse the web, listen to music, and watch some NBA on the couch. I'm not much of a gamer. I'm leaning towards the Mini 2 with 32gb. Any reason why I should go for the Air instead?

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 22, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

I gave my old iPod Touch (2010) to a friend who needed something to check e-mails with on the road, and I want to replace said iPod with an iPad. I'm looking at the iPad Air and the Mini 2. I would mainly use it to read magazines and newspapers online (which was kinda painful on the iPod), browse the web, listen to music, and watch some NBA on the couch. I'm not much of a gamer. I'm leaning towards the Mini 2 with 32gb. Any reason why I should go for the Air instead?
Bigger screen pretty much (slightly better color but not that big a deal). In terms of usability the size makes it easier to touch type on, kinda like a regular keyboard vs a shrunken netbook keyboard. Resolution wise they're the same and show the same content, so again it's just a matter of size. Check them out in store if possible to see if the text size for reading stuff is ok on the iPad mini vs the Air for you.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I didn't realize they had shrunk the battery for the Air 2. I guess I can't rightfully complain since it's still an improvement over my iPad 2 and bests nearly all the android competition.

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
Does anyone have problems enabling continuity on iPad? I have an iPad 3rd gen (wifi) and an iPhone 5s, I can make cellular phone calls from ipad, send and receive texts (I had to enter a code on the phone), but for the love of God I cannot receive any phone call on my iPad.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Ordered a refurb 32GB Mini 2 today. $299 feels like exactly the right price point for something that I'll do some gaming and web browsing on. The form factor seems just right as well based on my experience with my wife's Mini 1. Looking forward to picking it up next week.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tacier posted:

I didn't realize they had shrunk the battery for the Air 2. I guess I can't rightfully complain since it's still an improvement over my iPad 2 and bests nearly all the android competition.
The battery life is the same. What does "shrunk" mean?

revengeanceful posted:

Ordered a refurb 32GB Mini 2 today. $299 feels like exactly the right price point for something that I'll do some gaming and web browsing on. The form factor seems just right as well based on my experience with my wife's Mini 1. Looking forward to picking it up next week.
OK!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

randyest posted:

Based on one review I read (maybe... Engadget? I forget which), the iPad Air had about 13:30 hours and the iPad Air 2 had about 11 hours. The battery capacity number was listed as less as well.

As long as tablets get 10 hours of real-world use, I'm happy. This way I usually estimate remaining life at 10% per hour, which is easy to gauge.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

eric posted:

Spend the extra $100 and get the 64gb model. With the power of the a8x and 2gb of ram it should be good for at least three years.

This is pretty much correct - this is a substantially powerful upgrade, you don't want to be hamstrung by storage with components that likely have plenty of longevity. Especially when iOS 10 (iOS X?) is asking for 8+ gigs free to update.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
If anyone in the UK is ordering, you can currently save 5% on any iPad from Currys/PC World via a voucher code. Worked for me.

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

wooger posted:

If anyone in the UK is ordering, you can currently save 5% on any iPad from Currys/PC World via a voucher code. Worked for me.

I was just about to share that. Plus I ordered my Air 2 yesterday and it arrived today.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

randyest posted:

OK!

The battery is physically smaller, as confirmed by multiple tear downs. Real world battery tests are showing shorter battery life as well (duh). It's still great, but not as great as the air. I'm pretty sure we're all in universal agreement that we'd prefer better batteries as opposed to even thinner devices now?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I just got my iPad in the mail, but it only says "iPad" and "iPad Air" on it; nowhere does it say "iPad Air 2": box, receipt, whatever. Did I get the wrong product, or how do I tell whether it's the Air 2?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ufarn posted:

I just got my iPad in the mail, but it only says "iPad" and "iPad Air" on it; nowhere does it say "iPad Air 2": box, receipt, whatever. Did I get the wrong product, or how do I tell whether it's the Air 2?

Well, the easiest way would be to look at the side of the iPad and see if it has the orientation lock/silence switch. Or, you could Google for the model number and check the back of the box.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Bottom Liner posted:

The battery is physically smaller, as confirmed by multiple tear downs. Real world battery tests are showing shorter battery life as well (duh). It's still great, but not as great as the air. I'm pretty sure we're all in universal agreement that we'd prefer better batteries as opposed to even thinner devices now?

Yeah, it is not a deal breaker or anything but I am not sure who at Apple was like "drat it, this thing is still so bloody thick, maybe we can shave some unnecessary battery off."

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Good call on the orientation lock. It doesn't have one, so it looks like I'm good.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, it is not a deal breaker or anything but I am not sure who at Apple was like "drat it, this thing is still so bloody thick, maybe we can shave some unnecessary battery off."

I'm utterly certain that in the anonymous usage stats that get sent to Apple, they report that only a very, very small minority of users deplete their iPad battery on a regular basis. In fact, I'm not sure if my iPad ever falls below 60% on any given day.

So given a choice between 10% less battery and 17% less thickness, or identical thickness and battery to the Air 1, the more sensible reduction won.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Why did they remove the orientation lock? I use that all the time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Why did they remove the orientation lock? I use that all the time.
The default mode of operation was as a mute switch, and both controls are in Control Center anyway.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

bobfather posted:

I'm utterly certain that in the anonymous usage stats that get sent to Apple, they report that only a very, very small minority of users deplete their iPad battery on a regular basis. In fact, I'm not sure if my iPad ever falls below 60% on any given day.

So given a choice between 10% less battery and 17% less thickness, or identical thickness and battery to the Air 1, the more sensible reduction won.

It is less that people drain it every day, and more to the fact that it is nice to have to charge devices less often. Like I said, did the Air really need to get thinner this generation? Most reviewers do not really think it makes that much of a difference. I guess it is where you put your priorities.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The thinness is nice but definitely wasn't necessary. The added horse power from the processor and ram are noticeable even coming from the original iPad Air. I used mine last night for a few hours and a little this morning. Not seeing tabs reload is quite nice.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

serebralassazin posted:

The thinness is nice but definitely wasn't necessary. The added horse power from the processor and ram are noticeable even coming from the original iPad Air. I used mine last night for a few hours and a little this morning. Not seeing tabs reload is quite nice.

Oh definitely, I think it is a worthwhile upgrade this is just nitpicking.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Any word when the Cellular iPad Air 2's will be in stock at the Apple Store? Looks like only wifi models are available.

I was thinking of maybe picking up a Wifi model today and swapping it for a celluar model within the return period. Or is that a dick move?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Anyone on iOS 8 noticing issues playing videos on the web? Weird buffering issues, glitchy playback, etc?

It even happens in the YouTube app. It'll start to play an HD video, but then stop and display the "buffering" animation, then begin playing after a while, then do it again, over and over until it refuses to play at all. I just tested this with the new Avengers trailer, which is only 2 minutes long, and it stops every 10 drat seconds to buffer.

iPad 4, iOS 8.1, latest YouTube app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dutchbstrd posted:

Any word when the Cellular iPad Air 2's will be in stock at the Apple Store? Looks like only wifi models are available.

I was thinking of maybe picking up a Wifi model today and swapping it for a celluar model within the return period. Or is that a dick move?

You can order the cellular models online and pick them up in store.