Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just found the best skill ever. "Defenseless - Cannot block, but attacks do more damage." :stare:

And it's on Midna. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I just found the best skill ever. "Defenseless - Cannot block, but attacks do more damage." :stare:

And it's on Midna. :getin:

Have fun when you go up against Zant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Have fun when you go up against Zant.

Yeah the extra damage would definitely make him less of a pain to fight (though it is Midna so no one is ever really much of a pain anyway.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah the extra damage would definitely make him less of a pain to fight (though it is Midna so no one is ever really much of a pain anyway.)

I just meant more that the most effective way to do Zant's weak point stuff is to block. :smith:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The things we remember.

Ghirahim licks his lips when opening treasure chests, it's kinda his thing. That and his heart being filled with rainbows.

It took a while until it clicked, but I'm glad I gave Ghirahim a chance because he might be my favorite character to play as so far. I found his tethered YYXXX works pretty great since combo starts before most enemies block and it's his only combo that has tether attacks for every X input. For large groups of enemies and keeps his YYYX works pretty well, a bit like a bit weaker, lower range version of Ruto's X attack as long as you make sure not to spam X like a maniac and lock yourself into the next attack of the combo.

Honestly though I just love the guy because he's just too fabulous to stick to mere fighting and has to dance enemies into submission. His YYYXXX may be poo poo but I love the animation, gently caress the haters.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I have lana for all my dance-fighting needs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Ghirahim licks his lips when opening treasure chests, it's kinda his thing. That and his heart being filled with rainbows.

It took a while until it clicked, but I'm glad I gave Ghirahim a chance because he might be my favorite character to play as so far. I found his tethered YYXXX works pretty great since combo starts before most enemies block and it's his only combo that has tether attacks for every X input. For large groups of enemies and keeps his YYYX works pretty well, a bit like a bit weaker, lower range version of Ruto's X attack as long as you make sure not to spam X like a maniac and lock yourself into the next attack of the combo.

Honestly though I just love the guy because he's just too fabulous to stick to mere fighting and has to dance enemies into submission. His YYYXXX may be poo poo but I love the animation, gently caress the haters.

Girahim is really one of the best characters once you understand the tether system. Every single one of his combos has a good use, the only bad attack being the bokoblin summon if you're careless and don't dodge out of it. Summoning those giant orange blades always does a ton of damage and he destroys all enemy captains and giant bosses and groups of enemies.

I just finished getting his and Fi's 8-Bit weapons (both of which you have to do with him) and it was a blast.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ImpAtom posted:

I just meant more that the most effective way to do Zant's weak point stuff is to block. :smith:

I'm pretty sure you can still bait out attacks by blocking, you just have to be sure to dodge anything that's going to hit you because the block won't do anything.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

This was last page, but as someone who exclusively plays 2-player I can say the Great Fairy is exactly as fast as every other character in the game.

Also about Sheik OP talk: The water shield lets you 100% ignore Poe attacks too. It's just dumb and awesome and I've loved her since Melee. :allears:

Can you confirm how this works for the ranking system? Like do you need a combined 1200 kills, does the damage both of you take count toward the total, etc? I don't want to stress my fiance out too much but enlisting her help for the hard missions might be nice.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Kills are combined, but so is damage.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hm. Okay. Maybe I'll just have her play as Sheik :haw:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
My fiancee hates Sheik with a burning passion because she played as her once before we knew how her harp worked or even any badges for her. Even after I explained and showed her how broken she is, she refuses to ever pick Sheik again.

:shrug:

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
To anyone who hasn't unlocked the Great Fairy yet, do it right away. Her special (A Button) can 100% clear a keep in one swoop. She is even more overpowered than Sheik and Epona. She seems drat nearly invincible. :stare:

I am really surprised they made such an insanely strong fighter. It is awesome. The Great Fairy is like bringing a machine gun to a fist fight.

edit: I didn't see anyone mention this yet but supposedly on Twitter NOA said that Hyrule Warriors will have Amiibo Support. Here's a quick link:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-spinoff-hyrule-warriors-adding-link-amiibo-s/1100-6423090/

They better make a Lana, Cia, and Ganondorf Amiibo :colbert:

But, it will probably be limited to just Link and maybe Zelda Amiibos. I wonder what functionality it could possibly have? An extra game mode maybe?

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 23, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spectacle Rock posted:

To anyone who hasn't unlocked the Great Fairy yet, do it right away. Her special (A Button) can 100% clear a keep in one swoop. She is even more overpowered than Sheik and Epona. She seems drat nearly invincible. :stare:

I am really surprised they made such an insanely strong fighter. It is awesome. The Great Fairy is like bringing a machine gun to a fist fight.

In all honesty I don't think the great fairy is that good. Sure she's invincible the majority of the time, but her combo enders hit unreliably or don't do great damage, not to mention that they take forever to finish and don't particularly combo. Clearing a keep with a special also isn't really anything remarkable since basically everyone can do that except Zant. She's designed around being powered up constantly, but everything she does takes so long that you're liable to run out halfway through a combo (also her powerup really needs a timer bar since the extra glow is hard to notice during action). I'd put her in the lower middle of the pack, really. She's not Zant, but she's not a Dorf, Cia, or gauntlet Link, and definitely not Shiek tier. Nobody is Shiek tier. Also tier lists are a stupid concept anyway for a game like this, but making them can't be avoided.

She's totally an awesome concept for a character though, and I love that they included her. She just needs to be faster and flow better.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The best character in this game is, I think, Lana.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Great Fairy's problem is that her attacks are very, very slow to execute. So, it's great that you can clear out a keep in two attacks, but when each attack takes 15 seconds to clear off, you're not actually up any time. Not to mention the attacks have kind of a random pattern to them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wonder how possible it is to look under the hood of the game and get damage numbers and how much things are affected by skills and the like? Sometimes I wonder about these things.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I cannot stand playing as the Great Fairy. She is constantly swiveling your camera all over the place, half her combos point in the opposite of the direction you're facing, and all of her attacks take forever and they're just so slow. Sure, she'll blow up the world, but I can't even see it or aim it and she's awful.

I much prefer Ruto or Zelda for my mass-destruction needs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

gnome7 posted:

She is constantly swiveling your camera all over the place

Yeah it bears mentioning that the camera in this game is loving garbage, I'm constantly fighting against it and I hate it. I hate that it snaps forward when you start moving, it doesn't move quickly enough, and the lock on sucks my rear end. If there's a giant boss somewhere within the next four levels, it will lock on to that rather than the Moblin trying to fall on my poo poo in front of me.

If there's any fight that has three or more captains, I'm usually spending a good quarter of my time struggling to get the camera to stay in a position where I can monitor at least two of them simultaneously.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I recently realized that flicking the right stick changes target so that plus quick recentering via blocking goes a long way to making the camera only kind of a bag of asses instead of fully one for me at least.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah but whether or not it will actually snap to a new target is wildly inconsistent. If I try to enter a keep and there's a Stalmaster and two Deku Babas, it'll be by the grace of God that I can actually shoot either Baba with my bow.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, the camera and targeting is pretty bad, and what makes it even worse is you have to retarget after every time you use a special attack or weakness attack!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The targeting in this game is rear end at the best of times.

Speaking of Deku Babas, in a quiz level with the "don't get hit" Master Quest rule. Supreme dick move of the game to wait until I entered the keep to spawn Deku Babas right on top of me. :mad:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Wild Knight posted:

Speaking of Deku Babas, in a quiz level with the "don't get hit" Master Quest rule. Supreme dick move of the game to wait until I entered the keep to spawn Deku Babas right on top of me. :mad:

I think this is a loading glitch, because when I died and reloaded to the exact same Deku Baba, it was there right away on my second attempt.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Nothing is more frustrating than fulfilling the requirements for a hard mode Skulltula, only to have the drat thing run away before I can find it. :argh:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Wild Knight posted:

Same thing happened to me, I think I actually laughed when that happened.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now that I actually have her YYYYYX I can see why Sheik is considered so powerful, but god drat if that isn't a boring rear end way to play the game. :shrug:

Gonna have to try Ruto again tomorrow, too, I could not make heads or tails of some of her combo attacks.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Do you mean boring difficulty-wise? Because holy balls I use all of her combos and subsequent element songs all the time, weaving poo poo together and seeing how it goes. Dark into Water Spout, Fire Trap then immediate Special so they don't walk out of it, Dark then Fire Trap, Water Spout into Meteors, it's all so different! Hell, even her standard basic attack combo is great for clearing keeps if you don't want to burn a special or something.

EDIT: Also I wish her lightning aura didn't knock back. It does poo poo for damage and the knockback means it precludes any basic attacks, so I only use it for Devastating maps.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 23, 2014

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Nothing is more frustrating than fulfilling the requirements for a hard mode Skulltula, only to have the drat thing run away before I can find it. :argh:

You don't know pain until one disappears right as you begin swinging at it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So where is the Heart Container in the first level of Adventure mode? I've taken all the keeps and gotten the Heart Piece but there is nowhere else for the heart piece to hide.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So where is the Heart Container in the first level of Adventure mode? I've taken all the keeps and gotten the Heart Piece but there is nowhere else for the heart piece to hide.

I don't know specifically, but try blowing up rocks and poo poo, chests can be hidden in item-specific areas.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Pretty sure there's a full health container inside a rock in the northwestern part of the map, near that gate that's closed. So you'll need to run past King Dodongo when he breaks through near the end and opens up that area.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Bicyclops posted:

I hope the thing which the Amiibos do is basically cheating and making things easier so I can beat the hard tiles with swarms of Sheild Moblins, like my friend Link, who is strong, will show up and help me out when the going gets tough.

I'm reminded of Dynasty Warriors 4, which had a hidden Relationship system. You fight alongside people, you build up hidden points. Like or hate, depending on whether you're their ally or enemy. Build up the enemy, they'd show up as random enemy forces if there was room. Build up the like, and if there was room and you got badly, hurt, they'd show up as a max morale ally, following you about.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Black Mage Knight posted:

You don't know pain until one disappears right as you begin swinging at it.

My favorite is when you say "Ah ha! I found you, you collectible bug!" and triumphantly mash the attack button only to discover that your Allied Keep has already been taken and the game just has to catch up in letting you know that you've lost. :(

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Wild Knight posted:

I think that the Baba's spawn is timed for X seconds, where X 'just happens' to be how long it takes to run to the first keep if you start moving immediately. If you stop right outside the doors for two seconds, they pop in and can often be killed (or at least targetted) before you step into the keep proper to spawn quiz enemies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neraren posted:

I think that the Baba's spawn is timed for X seconds, where X 'just happens' to be how long it takes to run to the first keep if you start moving immediately. If you stop right outside the doors for two seconds, they pop in and can often be killed (or at least targetted) before you step into the keep proper to spawn quiz enemies.

Yeah, that's been my experience. You basically just have to already know they're there, which is annoying, but what can you do?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I have noticed that some missions are repeated in Master Quest, only with a different character requirement and a Master Quest rule. For example, that awful "defeat all enemies" Fi mission in vanilla adventure where the last keep has Imprisoned and two Imprisoned Juniors is repeated, only you are limited to Volga instead and there's a no healing rule.

Incidentally, Volga completely dominates the Imprisoned. BBY and BBBY both have enough range and damage to completely wreck his toes without getting hurt by the shockwaves.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I have noticed that some missions are repeated in Master Quest, only with a different character requirement and a Master Quest rule. For example, that awful "defeat all enemies" Fi mission in vanilla adventure where the last keep has Imprisoned and two Imprisoned Juniors is repeated, only you are limited to Volga instead and there's a no healing rule.

Incidentally, Volga completely dominates the Imprisoned. BBY and BBBY both have enough range and damage to completely wreck his toes without getting hurt by the shockwaves.

Yeah, a lot of missions are similar but with a twist, which is pretty much the original Master Quest in a nutshell.

I'm not to deep into Master Quest yet but I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of maps that don't seem to have any reward. I kinda hope for the later DLC adventure maps they maybe make a smaller map in favour of having most maps have a reward.

On that subject, I'm still hoping the new weapon is Link's Spinner. Give it dark element so link can have access to every element.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, a lot of missions are similar but with a twist, which is pretty much the original Master Quest in a nutshell.

I'm not to deep into Master Quest yet but I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of maps that don't seem to have any reward. I kinda hope for the later DLC adventure maps they maybe make a smaller map in favour of having most maps have a reward.

On that subject, I'm still hoping the new weapon is Link's Spinner. Give it dark element so link can have access to every element.

I'm actually sort of glad to hear that, because I will feel less like screaming at my screen when I miss the A rank by three seconds or because, at the very end, Volga got one really good hit in on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah there's just a lot more drat heart containers, which I really couldn't give two squirts of piss about because all of my characters have 20-25 hearts each. Most of the time I don't even bother searching for them.

Granted that's because I usually need to save my loving compasses for another tile that arbitrarily needs a flute to continue. :argh:

• Locked thread