Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think I've bought the Gundam X eight times at this point, so you're not the only one with an obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Why is it that its so hard to find a 1/100 Over Flag in stock anywhere that's not overpriced. Amazon has the cheapest around 50 dollars but I do remember it being only around 30 or so before.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Supply and demand. v:shobon:v It's the unfortunate part of buying older kits, they're not in production anymore (or at least not for a while) so resellers can freely raise the price.

I actually have a friend who's been dying to get a 1/100 Kyrios to complete his set of S1 00 gundams, but he can't find anything cheaper than $45.

EDIT: I have 1050 posts in this thread. :stare:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 21, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Supply and demand. v:shobon:v It's the unfortunate part of buying older kits, they're not in production anymore (or at least not for a while) so resellers can freely raise the price.

I actually have a friend who's been dying to get a 1/100 Kyrios to complete his set of S1 00 gundams, but he can't find anything cheaper than $45.

Isn't that cheap for a 1/100 kit though? The cheapest I've ever seen an MG kit is $55, and I'd presume the 1/100 00 kits would surely be at least near that mark?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
No Grade 1/100s however tend to be cheaper than that due to the lack of engineering and such. They're kinda just...big HGs but not quite?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't that cheap for a 1/100 kit though? The cheapest I've ever seen an MG kit is $55, and I'd presume the 1/100 00 kits would surely be at least near that mark?

I've seen MGs for as cheap as $40 with free shipping pretty regularly on Amazon, you should keep an eye on them there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How are the Victory and Victory-2 as kits? I've always loved that show's mecha designs.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

How are the Victory and Victory-2 as kits? I've always loved that show's mecha designs.

I've got the Victory and it has decent articulation, but wonky proportions. If you can score them for $13-15, I'd say go for it, they're fun cheap kits.

BlitzBlast posted:

Some of the stuff that I want from AGE is just horrible, namely the G-Bouncer (Probably because it was piloted by the best character) and Farsia (Probably because it's super pink and therefore the greatest one). Dammit Bandai I want my magical flower funnel kit. :argh:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Since it has been almost a decade since I assembled my last gunpla(I miss you poor stolen mg hi-nu gundam!) I am kind of out of touch in the quality of kits except for people in this thread saying some kits are better than others. So, how are the MG gundam wing version EW kits, in particular the proto zero and epyon kits?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pretty good. Epyon is a bit wiggly since it's a transformable type but I'd say it's more solid than the zeta 2.0.

Protozero is supposed to be really solid iirc.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Khisanth Magus posted:

So, how are the MG gundam wing version EW kits, in particular the proto zero and epyon kits?

All the MG Wing EW kits are great. You can't go wrong with any of them, especially Epyon and Wing Proto Zero.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Koopa Kid posted:

Man, you're making me want to get a Delta Plus. Where'd you buy the metal detail parts from?

Found 'em on Ebay from the sellers below.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/zi9720?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2754

http://www.ebay.com/usr/abby.lc?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2754

Zi9720 is located in Florida so you'll get stuff fast, but their selection isn't as broad as abby.lc, which is in Hong Kong, but they use the faster HK shipping. I got my stuff in five working days.

The A size photo-etch sheets cover most any circular spots on an HG kit, with some of the larger ones on A working for small circle spots on MG kits. B size has more or less everything for MG and larger.

Application is simple in theory but tricky. The photo-etch sheets are packed in a sandwich of adhesive plastic. Peel off the top to expose the detail bits. Use an Xacto knife to gently lift them off the bottom adhesive, which holds them in place. Use tweezers to maneuver them into position. Put a dollop - just a very bare dollop - of 15-20 second superglue on the spot that's getting the detail. Don't put it on the detail part itself.

Put the detail part on the glue, let the tweezers go, but since the tweezers are ridged, it'll probably want to stay on. Tap it gently into place with a toothpick.

It sounds tougher than it is, it just takes focus and patience, but you gotta work quick.

If you're using the minus molds/screw heads/screw head rivets, it's way easier. Use a pin vise to drill a good sized hole, put superglue in the hole, and push it in with your fingers.

To be honest, I like the look of the mech form of the Delta Plus more than the Waverider form, and it's very clear that there's liberties taken in the construction of the frame to make it transformable. Some parts pop out a little easily. Don't let this deter you if you like the Delta Plus or plan to transform it - just be wary that it's meant to transform, and the degree of flex it has at some parts is normal and expected.

It's a bit back-heavy, though, and the foot/ankle joint is a bit loose. It needs an action base to stand up properly.

BlitzBlast posted:

This. I'm holding out for HLJ to come across some 1/100 Lunamaria Gunner Zaku Warriors. I ain't paying $50 for one on Ebay without a fight.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Ugh I'm going to shell out 50 bucks for it then probably... I might just wait until I finish exia up but I'd much rather buy the MG X Gundam for that price instead.

TARDISman posted:

Some of the stuff that I want from AGE is just horrible, namely the G-Bouncer (Probably because it was piloted by the best character) and Farsia (Probably because it's super pink and therefore the greatest one). Dammit Bandai I want my magical flower funnel kit. :argh:

I have the Farsia! It's a pretty sweet kit and I picked it up when I was in Korea for like 13 dollars so that was cool.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

MJP posted:

-good stuff-

Thanks for this! Yeah I'd read that the Delta basically needs an action base to stand up without joint strengthening, I'm no stranger to either so it doesn't bug me much. Now I just need to work through my backlog before I go on another buying spree...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Koopa Kid posted:

Thanks for this! Yeah I'd read that the Delta basically needs an action base to stand up without joint strengthening, I'm no stranger to either so it doesn't bug me much. Now I just need to work through my backlog before I go on another buying spree...

Yeah, no worries. If you look on HLJ you can find many more option parts - Kotobukiya and Wave make a bunch. Adler's Nest is out of Japan and makes good-looking stuff, too, including airliner-style thrusters. Ever want your Tallgeese to look like it was the offspring of a Leo and a 787? Now you can!

Definitely can't recommend getting into Alclad if you have an airbrush, though. The piston on the Delta Plus looks real, and I did the external tubing on my Zaku I Sniper in Alclad since it was a separate part. You gotta go easy on the metallizer when it's time to put it on, and you really gotta use their gloss black base - thinned Tamiya just doesn't give the same luster - but your reward is something that looks like it's actual metal.

Edit: here's the Zaku I Sniper. http://i.imgur.com/QK9vFJ5.jpg

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

How good are the robot damashii line with their posability compared to like the hg model counterpart version?

Was thinking of buying maybe one.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Sharkopath posted:

How good are the robot damashii line with their posability compared to like the hg model counterpart version?

Was thinking of buying maybe one.

Leaps and bounds better articulation and posability than an HGUC. They're really awesome toys.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

Leaps and bounds better articulation and posability than an HGUC. They're really awesome toys.

Would you say comparable or better than a master grade then, ignoring that I don't think fingers are individually modeled.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Sharkopath posted:

Would you say comparable or better than a master grade then, ignoring that I don't think fingers are individually modeled.

Generally on par, but sometimes superior depending on the Gundam.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Just starting out I simply picked what looked cool to me and I've been satisfied. I dunno what better criteria there is than whether or not you'll be happy with it on your shelf.

I guess whether or not it'll hold the pose you put it in is a good one.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Just starting out I simply picked what looked cool to me and I've been satisfied. I dunno what better criteria there is than whether or not you'll be happy with it on your shelf.

I guess whether or not it'll hold the pose you put it in is a good one.

Even if it doesn't pose well you can always buy one of those 'hanger' stands so that even just standing with arms at the sides sans weapons it doesn't look out of place with your other robo-mans.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I like Robot Damashiis and Super Robot Chogokins and I generally mess around with them instead of my models. The models sit on the shelf and look pretty.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Finished my Alex (need to panel line but w/e). Behold my garbage rear end dry transfer attempt:

Moving ontooo.... F91!

F91 has the coolest looking torso bit. It's teeny tiny but every part is ridiculously detailed.

The armor parts are very thin which is where I imagine lots of people have trouble. Some precarious holds to shave down plastic nubs without snapping anything. Not terribly far but I am super diggering it so far. It's sooo small!

Not far yet buy having a lot of fun so far (put together the stand first).

EDIT: there is like a special coat on the blue armor it is sick as hell:

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 22, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Enjoy it while it's intact.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Haters gonna hate

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Well, built my first ever Gunpla, a HGUC 1/144 Zaku II.

Next step is to see if I can fix up some of those seams and get to painting.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hi5 fellow zaku first timer!
I need to touch up the primer and then finish painting mine.

Razzled fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 22, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Finished my Alex (need to panel line but w/e). Behold my garbage rear end dry transfer attempt:

gently caress dry transfers forever.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

DamnGlitch posted:

Moving ontooo.... F91!

F91 has the coolest looking torso bit. It's teeny tiny but every part is ridiculously detailed.

Im starting my F91 as well, its a far cry from the Beargguy I finished last week, so I can't wait to get started

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

gently caress dry transfers forever.

After seeing what Samueldecal sells for their MG Delta Plus waterslides, I took to the dry transfers with gusto. They're amazing to work with but the lettering, kerning, borders of the letters - everything I never really noticed - was really, really, noticeably poor.

Nthing "gently caress dry tranfers" but damned if they didn't work fine so long as I erred on the side of rubbing more than necessary. Maybe it also helps that I put down a decent coat of Future beforehand? I mean, it felt really, really polished and had serious gloss. Probably the best Futuring I've done.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MJP posted:

After seeing what Samueldecal sells for their MG Delta Plus waterslides, I took to the dry transfers with gusto. They're amazing to work with but the lettering, kerning, borders of the letters - everything I never really noticed - was really, really, noticeably poor.

Nthing "gently caress dry tranfers" but damned if they didn't work fine so long as I erred on the side of rubbing more than necessary. Maybe it also helps that I put down a decent coat of Future beforehand? I mean, it felt really, really polished and had serious gloss. Probably the best Futuring I've done.

The waterslides on my Nu ver. ka were pretty decent, it's just that there's a metric fuckton of them so I didn't bother putting them all on.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Pyronic posted:

Im starting my F91 as well, its a far cry from the Beargguy I finished last week, so I can't wait to get started

Why's there two sets of eye stickers?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Because it has two faces!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

John Carstairs posted:

Because it has two faces!

Delta Plus does this too - one for straight black a la Hyaku Shiki, one for black with red eyes a la Delta Plus.

I hosed up the placement and just painted it over with metallic-medium black ;_;

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It totally blows that the only 1/100 0 Gundam around is the ridiculously overpriced Metal Composite. I'm not paying $270 for a god drat RX-78-2 Bandai.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My action bases came in (alongside 2/3rds of my impending Kitbash). So I took a group shot!

The Kampfer's not keeping that base, the Abigor just hasn't arrived yet. It's going to be hard not working on these mobile suits while I wait for it to show up.

I really need to go over the Grape-Flavored GM Sniper and Ninja Spallow with another spray of matte varnish topcoat. The first one seems like it didn't take and they're both still way too glossy (and since my gloss varnish is brush-on, it shows every brushstroke).

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

Test-fitting the arms and upper torso. The instructions actually call for you to glue the two torso halves together, and then use rubber bands to secure them-- makes sense, as attaching the head/neck causes the two halves to split apart at the bottom.

Just sitting around.

Showing how the arm will connect to the body. The gray square on the arm will be glued into that recessed area of the torso. It'll be immobile, of course, but the cylindrical area won't glue to anything-- that allows the arm to move up and down. Not the most secure...

The lower leg halves are glued together; the waist is not yet. I hope I can get rid of that gap in the left leg.

More test-fitting. Almost there...!

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

So am I nuts for making my first RG the Zeta? I have run out of HG's and its the last one in my pile.

Should I just go for it, or go and get a non-transforming one to do first (note I haven't done any MG's either).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wibbleman posted:

So am I nuts for making my first RG the Zeta? I have run out of HG's and its the last one in my pile.

Should I just go for it, or go and get a non-transforming one to do first (note I haven't done any MG's either).

Just gonna give you fair warning now: If you want RG Zeta to be a model kit you can play with occasionally and transform, don't bother. It's a kit that you literally build, pose, and then never touch again cause it's a fragile mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Shinde posted:

I hope I can get rid of that gap in the left leg.

Shave or grind some of the sprue the parts came on, mix well with liquid cement, and you've got yourself body-colored filler "putty" that should make for an undetectable repair once it's sanded. Just be sure to let it cure thoroughly first.

• Locked thread