Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
With a varying amount of success, I've been All Criticaling the daily top pick songs on Expert in Curtain Call as a fun way to waste an hour or so. I guess it was inevitable for Dancing Mad to be one of them someday.

274 notes to critical with no mistakes :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So speaking of "worst in the series", French speakers are getting a Final Fantasy thing that currently isn't planned in English.

It's this, though, so no big loss:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

iOS version is literally the PSP version with the slowdown fixed, but no online/post game super battles (that I could find) so their respective gear is just dumped into the fur shop.

Unfortunately, I could never find anyone else who ALSO had FFT for the PSP, so I never have gotten to do the online battles sadly. I know about Xlink Kai, now, but at this point I doubt there is a community for it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
FF2 is such a bad, bad game.

I can't bring myself to finish it on my PSP. I'm up to the Deist cave, and the slog finally got to me. Every fight is an ambush, the mechanics are just so broken. There is zero fun. All my dudes have 4kish HP, wreck things with their fists, but its just so bad.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yuna is up there when it comes to best FF girls. Her line "your plan sucks" has yet to be beaten.

univbee posted:

So speaking of "worst in the series", French speakers are getting a Final Fantasy thing that currently isn't planned in English.

FFX confirmed to be part of the XIII universe.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All three of the Gullwings are the best FF girls followed closely by Aerith and Yuffie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Krad posted:

Yuna is up there when it comes to best FF girls. Her line "your plan sucks" has yet to be beaten.

It really is amazing (and surprising) just how great her character became in the sequel.

quote:

How convenient, X was already retconned as being part of the FFVII universe. So that means FF7, 10 and 13 all take place in the same universe. Throw FF4 in there somewhere and we can call it The Most Popular Multiverse.

Beef Waifu posted:

All three of the Gullwings are the best FF girls followed closely by Aerith and Yuffie.

I can see that except for Rikku. X-2 Rikku is as much a downgrade ax X-2 Yuna is an upgrade. Paine is great though because she's like if Squall and Lulu had a child. Said child is better than either of them as she has both the dry wit factor and the interesting backstory/personal issues.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 22, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

It really is amazing (and surprising) just how great her character became in the sequel.

How convenient, X was already retconned as being part of the FFVII universe. So that means FF7, 10 and 13 all take place in the same universe. Throw FF4 in there somewhere and we can call it The Most Popular Multiverse.

FF1-6 are all in the same universe too, thanks to The After Years.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

FF1-6 are all in the same universe too, thanks to The After Years.

TAY can just be collectively ignored

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

univbee posted:

Je suis désolé mes amis Français.

I liked the article P4R came out with, in response to the contents of the book.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 22, 2014

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
All the talk of Tidus' outfit from a few pages back inspired me to dig out this old Fashion SWAT entry from the front page: http://www.somethingawful.com/fashion-swat/game-swat/2/

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

The second moon was a fal'Cie that died and then the lunars colonized it before giving up on it and it got summoned by Sephiroth as Meteor. something something Tidus moon farplane something something

Done, done, and done.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is it worth waiting to play FFX the HD version at some point, or will a PCSX2 gussied up with a version containing the Expert Sphere grid be enough? I played through FFX at release so its not new.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Krad posted:

Is it sad that I legitimately can't tell if this is a joke, real-talk, or somewhere in between anymore?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
My last playthrough of FFT was the PSP version and its great, the translation is great. There's a certain charm to the old translation though and i would have enjoyed the option to have both somehow. I would understand complaints about the slowdown if the game was literally anything other than a turn based tactical rpg, it's not a twitch shooter or anything. I would love to see a pc version or at least a non-ipad version in future though, for all the likelihood of that happening, maybe when they release IZJS on pc... right? Right??

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Is it sad that I legitimately can't tell if this is a joke, real-talk, or somewhere in between anymore?
Hint: It's a joke.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

fruitpunch posted:

My last playthrough of FFT was the PSP version and its great, the translation is great. There's a certain charm to the old translation though and i would have enjoyed the option to have both somehow. I would understand complaints about the slowdown if the game was literally anything other than a turn based tactical rpg, it's not a twitch shooter or anything. I would love to see a pc version or at least a non-ipad version in future though, for all the likelihood of that happening, maybe when they release IZJS on pc... right? Right??

Did they take out the shouts for spells/skills in the PSP FFT? It has been so long since I played I can't remember. I loved those.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I'm reasonably certain they did, yes

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Ragequit posted:

Did they take out the shouts for spells/skills in the PSP FFT? It has been so long since I played I can't remember. I loved those.

I think they cut them for the US release because they were a culprit for the much worse slowdown of the JP release.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Rebochan posted:

I think they cut them for the US release because they were a culprit for the much worse slowdown of the JP release.

I'm pretty sure the slowdown was hard-coded in for some boneheaded reason; hence why the patch can just remove it. It wasn't a performance thing, so I don't see why text boxes popping up would cause horrible slowdown.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is it worth waiting to play FFX the HD version at some point, or will a PCSX2 gussied up with a version containing the Expert Sphere grid be enough? I played through FFX at release so its not new.

If you have access to the international version its identical to that with some mildly better graphics maybe and some very questionable music remixes. How much that's worth to you is up to you but don't go in thinking they like, added anything.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

fruitpunch posted:

I would understand complaints about the slowdown if the game was literally anything other than a turn based tactical rpg

Yeah but maybe you should Holy everybody with Calculator and get back to me. There's also the fact that not only is it slow but the sound and animation is desynced and what were quick flashy attacks are now slow plodding pieces of poo poo. If you can stand being force-fed a subpar, lovely product just like the guy who bought SAO on the Vita and thinks what they did with it is okay, then more power to you friend.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The PSP version made the game less breakable. You can't steal Elmdore's equipment and the Chantage accessory from Meliadoul isn't one use so I can't have an infinite self resurrecting female unit.

I dunno if it also fixed the scroll glitch but I hope it didn't.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

fruitpunch posted:

I would understand complaints about the slowdown if the game was literally anything other than a turn based tactical rpg, it's not a twitch shooter or anything.

The game had great sound and music. The slowdown actually hinders at least the sound. From my point of view, its a tactical rpg, so there shouldn't be any slowdown. On top of that, as stated earlier, there is a patch that fixes it if you do some homebrew on the original psp. Note that I said fix. So basically, it is a real error, the game was made and sold incomplete/faulty. It is what it is and it shouldn't take anything away if anyone already enjoyed it.

I didn't mind the psx version until trying to play it after the PSP version. I agree with the Tactics Ogre suggestion. That game is all kinds of great.

Edit: FFX had some incredible music. What is crazy? FFX-HD had some incredible music. Are you a audio snob? Playing FFX HD and having the soundtrack just saturate the room around you is very nice. The original FFX sounded more melodic to me but had some weird things going on during most songs that I missed when playing with TV speakers or hooking it up to whatever speakers I could find at the time.

Here is what I mean by they are both incredible in their own ways:

FFX Besaid Island
Some of the sounds in this mix don't gel. Hard to explain but there is a metal clanging noise that comes and goes, usually it is hidden but it just bugged me either way. However there is a percussion like noise that just keeps the song chugging along and was very distinctive to my memories of it. It sounded really good at the time and I was kind of down that the remix really pushed the sound to the back.

FFX HD Besaid Island
This is way more ambient. As would be expected with so much more space on the disc. I swear it almost seems like the music is swelling around the room as you play. After turning off the game...everything seems very quiet.

So it is odd because I love both soundtracks and I got so used to the beat and structure of the first one I disliked the HD version until cranking it up and was blown away by what was coming out of a video game.

In short: Nice system/headphones and play loud? HD. Don't like playing loud or just have a standard system? The original will sound better imo. FFX-HD is an audiophile's wet dream.

Bonus:

Here are 2 songs that kept the same structure.

Tidus' Theme

Tidus' Theme HD Remix

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 23, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Barudak posted:

If you have access to the international version its identical to that with some mildly better graphics maybe and some very questionable music remixes. How much that's worth to you is up to you but don't go in thinking they like, added anything.

HD also comes with X-2 International which is impossible to play in English in any other way so, overall HD is better.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Here are 2 songs that kept the same structure.

Tidus' Theme

Tidus' Theme HD Remix

Except the HD Remaster version killed the harmonica in this song, which was all the emotion in it :shrug:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Every remix of Seymour Battle I have heard fails to live up to the greatness of the original. HDRemaster is not alone in this, I didn't like The Black Mags' version either.

Still, HDRemaster is worth it for X-2 International. I never asked this before but they dubbed Last Mission, right? That alone is a good incentive for me to play it. I just need to wait for it to get here....

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Has anyone tried out the FF6 Randomizer yet? Wondering what it's like and how balanced it is since I probably won't get around to trying it anytime soon.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I can agree about the harmonica, I am surprised they didn't add it back. It is just interesting that both versions sound good in their own way. Maybe it is because the PS2 was capable of much better music and it ages really well.

The Black Mages version of the Seymour battle is the best one. They should just have those guys redo a game's soundtrack.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 23, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NikkolasKing posted:

I can see that except for Rikku. X-2 Rikku is as much a downgrade ax X-2 Yuna is an upgrade. Paine is great though because she's like if Squall and Lulu had a child. Said child is better than either of them as she has both the dry wit factor and the interesting backstory/personal issues.

I was always bummed that they felt like they had to replace Lulu. She was really cool, in a non-traditional FF strong woman kinda way. And then they cut her out of Wakka's Angels and replaced her with a teenager.

Yeah Paine's not terrible though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Paine is much better than Lulu in almost every way

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

Paine is much better than Lulu in almost every way

Lulu's romantic history and her marriage to another country bumpkin sports superstar would get her a show on TLC so fast your head would spin. Paine is at best interview material.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Eh she's more of a VH1 girl anyway

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Looper posted:

Eh she's more of a VH1 girl anyway

Behind the Music with the Crimson Squad. After they broke up, the three male members of the Crimson Squad went on to tale positions as the leaders of the world. Paine, their ever-faithful Recorder, got sidelined playing second fiddle as part of a ragtag bunch of misfits.

Does she regret it? Not for an instant. None of the others have a bitchin' airship.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I was always bummed that they felt like they had to replace Lulu. She was really cool, in a non-traditional FF strong woman kinda way. And then they cut her out of Wakka's Angels and replaced her with a teenager.

Yeah Paine's not terrible though.

I thought Lulu hooking up with Wakka and having a baby was a perfect way to show that life has moved on. A late 30 something lady wouldn't fit the whole Yu-Ri-Pa style anyway.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

I thought Lulu hooking up with Wakka and having a baby was a perfect way to show that life has moved on. A late 30 something lady wouldn't fit the whole Yu-Ri-Pa style anyway.

Agreed. Also Paine is better than Lulu in every way :colbert:
I fully expected to hate her coming into the game, but she won me over. Paine's the best.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I like X Lulu, but her marrying Wakka in the sequel always weirded me out. Please don't marry the brother of your dead fiances.

Paine was good too, but her being friends with Nooj just didn't sit well with me. I never really bought it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Momomo posted:

Paine was good too, but her being friends with Nooj just didn't sit well with me. I never really bought it.

Why? It's pretty clear from the game, with what all of them went through.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

PhilippAchtel posted:

Uh, she was 22 in X, and 24 in X-2. She's not that old, she just seems like it next to crack-head Rikku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

Uh, she was 22 in X, and 24 in X-2. She's not that old, she just seems like it next to crack-head Rikku.

In spira that's basically middle aged.

Or was. Space Whale's actual death changes things quite a bit.