Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

pixie delights posted:

I'm calling it, Henry is Mickey Mouse.

Mickey Mouse is the wizards apprentice from this very episode! He even got turned into a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Best episode of the series, bar none. Anna and Rumple were adorable together.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

que?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Brilliant episode. I wonder how far they think ahead, because that seemed set up a few season ago.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Okay, Anna's adorable and she plays off Rumple's grumpiness well.

Not proposing The Dark Sister or whatever their slash pairing will be.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Here is the sneak preview of the end of this season in my brain:

Emma: Hey, kid, I need your help with something.
Henry: (Poorly acted) Do you now, dearie? Well my help comes at a price, and it so happens... (giggling insanely, poorly acted) I need a Playstation 4!
*whips out endlessly long contract, written in crayon*
Rumpelstiltskin: :rolleyes:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
It's getting weird now that Henry looks like a 16 year old.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kelly posted:

Looks like less of a chump.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

GreenNight posted:

Looks like less of a chump.

Pretty soon him and Emma are going to look the same age.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Henry will start getting pissed off once he realizes there isn't anyone in town he can date.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kelly posted:

And sounds like one. That kid got hit with the awkward end of puberty in between seasons 2 and 3. It should be fine, because he sounds and looks like a goofy kid just hitting his teens which can make up for some of his acting inexperience. They just have to start writing him that way instead of writing him like a 10 year old.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Am I the only one sick of Rumple being a dick? I was really hoping he'd go the way of Regina this season. Also why can't Hook just tell Emma Rumple magicked the whole tape. If he can erase his presence on it why can't he just create a fake tape of Hook murdering a bunch of children or something and why would anyone trust such a tape.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bamhand posted:

Am I the only one sick of Rumple being a dick? I was really hoping he'd go the way of Regina this season. Also why can't Hook just tell Emma Rumple magicked the whole tape. If he can erase his presence on it why can't he just create a fake tape of Hook murdering a bunch of children or something and why would anyone trust such a tape.

One of the main complaints Roger Ebert always seemed to have about bad romantic comedies was that specific version of the Idiot Plot where everything could be solved by one character just telling another character the truth, but it's kind of just a staple for this show. There was a lot of it in the first season with David and Mary Margaret and half of the Regina v. Emma plots were "You wouldn't want Henry to know about this, would you?! Ha ha ha!!"

One of the requirements for living in the Enchanted Kingdom is apparently that you have to be insecure enough that you believe your loved ones will not trust you about anything, so you must keep everything in your life a dark secret from them.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Bicyclops posted:

One of the requirements for living in the Enchanted Kingdom is apparently that you have to be insecure enough that you believe your loved ones will not trust you about anything, so you must keep everything in your life a dark secret from them.

True loooooove~

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Henry will start getting pissed off once he realizes there isn't anyone in town he can date.

Gretel is his age I suppose. Wendy was physically near his age at least. Pretty slim pickings for that kid though. Although the way this show is insane, 3 years from now he might be dating a Jedi.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I really liked this episode. Except for the premiere, I think the actress playing Anna continues to nail the role. And I said it before, but I can't wait to find out how the Knave and the Red Queen got separated. Poor Will. :(

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ashez2ashes posted:

Gretel is his age I suppose. Wendy was physically near his age at least. Pretty slim pickings for that kid though. Although the way this show is insane, 3 years from now he might be dating a Jedi.

The bigger test is, who can he date who's not a relative? poo poo odds for the kid on that score, too...Storybrooke's worse than Iceland.

(Seriously, Iceland's population is so insular, it's created a need for anti-incest apps for bar-hopping, so you don't inadvertantly bang your cousin. Storybrooke could use it.)

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Xealot posted:

The bigger test is, who can he date who's not a relative? poo poo odds for the kid on that score, too...Storybrooke's worse than Iceland.

(Seriously, Iceland's population is so insular, it's created a need for anti-incest apps for bar-hopping, so you don't inadvertantly bang your cousin. Storybrooke could use it.)

I did laugh when Henry was like, "No, my other grandfather." I mean, obviously everyone has 2 grandpas but it was just a reminder how convoluted his family tree is.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Tupping Liberty posted:

I really liked this episode. Except for the premiere, I think the actress playing Anna continues to nail the role. And I said it before, but I can't wait to find out how the Knave and the Red Queen got separated. Poor Will. :(

Isn't the biggest guess that they didn't and that Once in Wonderful was after? If not, I'd love to see more Emma Rigby. I loved her acting.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Gnossiennes posted:

Isn't the biggest guess that they didn't and that Once in Wonderful was after?

If that were true he wouldn't have his heart back yet and therefore wouldn't give enough of a gently caress to be getting drunk and breaking in to librarys to get a picture of her.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Maybe Emma's time fuckery did something to ruin their happy ending.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Parlett316 posted:

Maybe Emma's time fuckery did something to ruin their happy ending.

Goddammit, Emma.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Flatscan posted:

If that were true he wouldn't have his heart back yet and therefore wouldn't give enough of a gently caress to be getting drunk and breaking in to librarys to get a picture of her.

When did he lose his heart in the first place? I only watched the first few episodes and don't remember when that happened (if it was even in those episodes). Is it possible it's before that as well?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Cora takes his heart, but that's way before OUAT Wonderland starts in the present, so I'm sure that still makes the when of that series a little murky vs. this season.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This is such a good episode so far, i'm really impressed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That was a surprise. Wasn't expecting the flashback to be super important to the present in typical Lost-style that I've gotten used to. I was really just expecting it was a one-off anthology story that kinda tied into Emma and Regina. Did really like the young girl they got for young Emma, wasn't sure what to expect since I don't think she had more than one line from the finale last year that she had in that one scene.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
I was really confused with where they were going with the flashback for the first 3/4 of the episode. After they tied it to the present with the "I don't want to lose a friend" speech from Emma, I was thinking ok fine, lame but it was at least relevant. After they tied the video to Snow Queen, I was much more :staredog:.

When was the flashback supposed to have taken place? I'm pretty sure the time was before Harry Potter, yet Lily made a Harry Potter comparison with the scar on her hand (that's going to come up again, by the way. Calling it now).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Merlinicus posted:

I'm pretty sure the time was before Harry Potter, yet Lily made a Harry Potter comparison with the scar on her hand

Well then I'm gonna go out a limb here and say it WASN'T before Harry Potter :v:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Merlinicus posted:

I was really confused with where they were going with the flashback for the first 3/4 of the episode. After they tied it to the present with the "I don't want to lose a friend" speech from Emma, I was thinking ok fine, lame but it was at least relevant. After they tied the video to Snow Queen, I was much more :staredog:.

When was the flashback supposed to have taken place? I'm pretty sure the time was before Harry Potter, yet Lily made a Harry Potter comparison with the scar on her hand (that's going to come up again, by the way. Calling it now).
Wikipedia says HP is '97, which is about right. They dated the flashback '98 and it's super basic research anyway.

That being said I never minded the flashbacks being loosely-related like most of Lost's were as well (since the showrunners are former Lost writers), but they've been on point with them pretty well considering, probably because they've also gotta write for the audience that didn't watch 3 seasons before but tuned it because Frozen so you can't just confuse them with flashbacks that don't spell it out hard for you.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
The childhood friend tangent was the most random and also gayest thing this show has ever done

It's a shame gay people only vaguely exist until they are written off the show never to be seen again

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I loved the way Regina admitted that she doesn't want to kill Emma.

What the heck was Will Scarlet digging for?

Sober posted:

That was a surprise. Wasn't expecting the flashback to be super important to the present in typical Lost-style that I've gotten used to.

Yeah that end scene was a good surprise. I never actually finished Lost but it's hard for me to see the Snow Queen as anyone else than Juliet.

Have any of y'all read The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson? I reread it a few weeks ago to prep for the Frozen season. The biggest story points is one child searching for the other (Frozen plot, reversed in OUAT). In the story the catalyst is an evil mirror that distorts everything breaking and slivers of the mirror infect people, making them only see or act the worst. Seems kinda counter intuitive to the Snow Queen piecing her mirror back together.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Kelly posted:

This phenomenon happens so often there's a term for it, SORAS: Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome.

fork bomb posted:

I loved the way Regina admitted that she doesn't want to kill Emma.

Lana Parrilla delivers that line (and most of her dialog) with a great balance between serious and cheesy. Speaking of line delivery, the young Emma was pretty good at imitating Jennifer Morrison's way of talking.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Troposphere posted:

The childhood friend tangent was the most random and also gayest thing this show has ever done

It's a shame gay people only vaguely exist until they are written off the show never to be seen again

Seriously. That plot was so gay. I can't believe they possibly intended for it to be a platonic friendship.

And yeah, revealing Mulan to be gay and then completely writing her off the show is insane to me. Why would they even introduce that plot concept if they weren't going to go somewhere with it? Or is it just shelved until they blast through the Frozen poo poo?

Though, the inorganic star-birthmark poo poo tells me that character will return. Maybe she'll come back just in time for Mulan to re-enter the mix and they can pair up. Confine the gay characters to one plot.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 27, 2014

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Xealot posted:

And yeah, revealing Mulan to be gay and then completely writing her off the show is insane to me. Why would they even introduce that plot concept if they weren't going to go somewhere with it? Or is it just shelved until they blast through the Frozen poo poo?

It probably has something to do with the actress getting a better job on another show.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Sober posted:

Wikipedia says HP is '97, which is about right. They dated the flashback '98 and it's super basic research anyway.

Well that makes more sense then. For some reason I was thinking the flashback had said '91.

Xealot posted:

Though, the inorganic star-birthmark poo poo tells me that character will return. Maybe she'll come back just in time for Mulan to re-enter the mix and they can pair up. Confine the gay characters to one plot.

Mulan is supposed to be with Robin Hood now, right? If they're in Storybrooke, she should be around somewhere.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Xealot posted:

I am, to be honest, shocked that Disney allowed them to do it at all. The Disney princesses are their bread and butter right now and "family friendly," with all of the dogwhistle homophobic bigotry that is unfortunately sometimes packaged with the phrase, is sort of important for their market base.

I'm pretty sure Mulan got put on a bus from the plot mostly because Jamie Chung is extremely busy though, including being a regular in another show and having an extensive film career (she was in four movies this year alone!).

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I am, to be honest, shocked that Disney allowed them to do it at all. The Disney princesses are their bread and butter right now and "family friendly," with all of the dogwhistle homophobic bigotry that is unfortunately sometimes packaged with the phrase, is sort of important for their market base.

I'm pretty sure Mulan got put on a bus from the plot mostly because Jamie Chung is extremely busy though, including being a regular in another show and having an extensive film career (she was in four movies this year alone!).

You know, most people haven't watched the movie closely enough to realize this, but there is a gay character in Frozen (number 5). So it's not that much of a stretch to me that they would okay a gay subplot in OUAT, but it would probably have to be similarly subtle. (Edit: I realized this comes across as me agreeing that the thing with Emma and the other girl seemed gay, but I actually don't. I've been in similar situations with totally platonic friends and been annoyed that other people assumed it was a gay thing before, so that's worth considering. It could go there maybe, but as it stands... not that gay, imo.)

I do hope the actress for Mulan finds time to come back and do a proper story for her character later on, though. I loved where they were going with it.

Jithendra fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 28, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jithendra posted:

You know, most people haven't watched the movie closely enough to realize this, but there is a gay character in Frozen (number 5). So it's not that much of a stretch to me that they would okay a gay subplot in OUAT, but it would probably have to be similarly subtle.

Pretty sure the woman on the right is his wife.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Pretty sure the woman on the right is his wife.

To me, that looks like a kid, and if you look at her(?) chest in a larger picture, there's not really anything there. I'm saying it's gay based on the way the guy is centered, larger than everyone else, and if you look really close (you may have to go look at the actual movie to see it), you can see that he's making a kissy face. What grown adult man makes a kissy face at his father? It'd be one thing if that guy was a kid, but...

Either way, it's at least ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Disney is actually about as gay friendly as they come. They've been holding gay days at Disney World and have had equal benefits for LGBT employees since way before it was in vogue to do so and have consistently told everyone who has a problem with it to piss off. Also, while many of their movies aren't explicitly "gay friendly", it is perfectly possible for a few of them to be read as sort of gay allegories. For instance, there's Frozen with its message of "respect & love people even if they are different from you" and Beauty & the Beast with its whole theme of people wanting to rip Belle & the Beast apart so she can have a "normal" relationship.

I'm thrilled they made Mulan into a lesbian and do hope she comes back and gets together with Aurora.

• Locked thread