Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I wasn't paying super close attention but I could have sworn she was supposed to be 16. Now I'm really confused.

What's it like being too stupid to follow the plot of a show aimed at teenage girls? I'm genuinely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sex and the City was about a sex columnist for a newspaper not an editor. It's pretty weird how public she is about her and her friend's sex lives considering the narration is meant to be what she writes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

I remember watching that show but I'd never bother re-watching. It was just a generic sitcom that probably doesn't age well.

And I think that Friends crossover was a big gimmick think Must See TV did one time where all of its shows crossed over in totally insignificant ways. I think Jonathan Silverman's The Single Guy was in on it too and a fourth show. Maybe Suddenly Susan?

ABC did it all the time with their TGIF block, by the time that block ended all their shows were in the same universe.

To be fair, you show me that graphic with no context and I would want to cancel it too.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 22, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cheers had two crossover episodes with Wings.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

raditts posted:

To be fair, you show me that graphic with no context and I would want to cancel it too.

But it has Krysten Ritter AND Phil & Lem! It should be on the air for at least a decade based on that (along with the awesome premise) alone.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

There's an AV Club article about Snuff Box which goes into how such a weird and beautiful(ly ugly) show got made. Basically BBC3 needed a show for a timeslot and didn't really care about what it was letting Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher do whatever the hell they wanted.

Matt Berry is the handsome doctor from Garth Merenge, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

savinhill posted:

Matt Berry is the handsome doctor from Garth Merenge, right?

Yes. He also has that beautiful voice.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fooz posted:

I watched the Marry Me pilot, and the challenger joke was one of my favorite one-liners ever.

The second episode is even better.

"I've never lived with a woman before. Well, except for Danielle. But she was Daniel when I lived with her. Hey, you remember Danny? Always putting money in that jar labeled VAGINA? He bought a vagina."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has anyone checked out the FX Simpsons app yet? I wanna know how many commercials per episode you have to deal with.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Has anyone checked out the FX Simpsons app yet? I wanna know how many commercials per episode you have to deal with.

I started watching s1e1 on the android app and it had a 10 second commercial before the episode started. after the first act break, it played three straight commercials about 30-45 seconds a piece, and the episode started playing in the background sometime during the second commercial so I could hear Homer talking about Christmas while some dude from The Evil Within got strapped into an electric chair. combining that with the no Chromecast support, gently caress this awful app

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You all laughed at me for buying the DVDs. You called me old fashioned. "Everything's will be streaming," you said. But who's laughing now, huh? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I want to say you are laughing Irish Joe, but it really depends on which seasons dvd box set you are currently watching.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

I started watching s1e1 on the android app and it had a 10 second commercial before the episode started. after the first act break, it played three straight commercials about 30-45 seconds a piece, and the episode started playing in the background sometime during the second commercial so I could hear Homer talking about Christmas while some dude from The Evil Within got strapped into an electric chair. combining that with the no Chromecast support, gently caress this awful app

Yeah that's about what I expected.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The website has 4 or so ad breaks that were anywhere between 1 or 2 minutes.

Oh and if you have adblock running the episode won't even load.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aye Doc posted:

Isn't it online too? Does adblock work or did they get around it?

e: well that answers that. Why would anyone use that service then?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

IRQ posted:

Isn't it online too? Does adblock work or did they get around it?

e: well that answers that. Why would anyone use that service then?

Because you're at work without access to your dvds

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

its basically the most out of touch app I could imagine a company releasing. having to watch 6 minutes of ads per episode is exactly what everyone wanted when they asked for streaming Simpsons!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The amount of ads you watch is based on which cable subscriber you have and the level of subscription you have with them

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

Because you're at work without access to your dvds

That's what Plex is for.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Modern problems: A ten minute power outage just screwed me out of this week's Arrow. So a hearty gently caress you to whoever skidded through the rain-slick streets and into a pole.

Unless he or she died or was paralyzed or something, I'm not a total rear end in a top hat.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cool, I'm going to have to check out Snuff Box then, that guy's great.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6bd6P24uLQ

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fateo McMurray posted:

The amount of ads you watch is based on which cable subscriber you have and the level of subscription you have with them

So if I "have" the highest tier of directv which I "do," I will get no ads? I doubt that.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

IRQ posted:

So if I "have" the highest tier of directv which I "do," I will get no ads? I doubt that.

Nah I just thought up the most evil, pro money way to deliver ads I could so it's probably what the cable companies already do or are working on implementing

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Nah I just thought up the most evil, pro money way to deliver ads I could so it's probably what the cable companies already do or are working on implementing

Haha, that would just be them keepig on as they do. TDS/Colbert recently managed to gently caress adblock and now run like 8 loving 30 second ads between segments and nothing but the first segent loads if you have adblock on. It's like they want you to watch it somewhere else. I liked streaming it, but now I DVR it instead (this sucks because CC is too retarded to flag new episodes as new and flags all reruns as new too).

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

IRQ posted:

Haha, that would just be them keepig on as they do. TDS/Colbert recently managed to gently caress adblock and now run like 8 loving 30 second ads between segments and nothing but the first segent loads if you have adblock on. It's like they want you to watch it somewhere else. I liked streaming it, but now I DVR it instead (this sucks because CC is too retarded to flag new episodes as new and flags all reruns as new too).

I watch TDS/Colbert daily on their respective sites with adblock (in america, latest firefox, adblock 2.6.5) and get no ads and no stopping after the first segment?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

I have Dish and it records all new episodes as new and doesn't record old episodes. I don't think CC is loving you.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

IRQ posted:

Or, and I know this may be shocking, they want to make money when you stream segments from their show.

It's great to see that the goalposts have moved from "Entertainment company x won't let me stream their stuff legally :qqsay:" to "Entertainment company X will let me stream literally every clip from the 11 year history of the Daily Show in HD for free but I have to watch an ad first! :qqsay:"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

An ad is fine. 8 though?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I wouldn't mind if TDS/Colbert forced ads on me because they offer it for free. But streaming the Simpsons isn't free. Just like I have no problem with ads on hulu but will never buy hulu+ because you still see the drat ads.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

GreenNight posted:

An ad is fine. 8 though?

I just got two 30 second ads during the break of a full episode. I think 8 might be a bit of an exaggeration.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah two is fine.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Irish Joe posted:

You all laughed at me for buying the DVDs. You called me old fashioned. "Everything's will be streaming," you said. But who's laughing now, huh? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?

I read this in my head like you were the peanut factory owner who trained his employees for the time a runaway elephant came to the plant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Fateo McMurray posted:

I wouldn't mind if TDS/Colbert forced ads on me because they offer it for free. But streaming the Simpsons isn't free.

It is, though? You have to have a cable plan with the right channels but it's not like Hulu +.

That said the aspect ratio business is some bullshit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of online ads, it's kind of annoying when I'm watching Korra on Nick's website and during the ad break you get a little thing telling you how many ads you're going to get and it goes "1 of 4" "2 of 4" "3 of 4" "4 of 4" then "5 of 4" and "6 of 4" before the show actually comes back.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Speaking of online ads, it's kind of annoying when I'm watching Korra on Nick's website and during the ad break you get a little thing telling you how many ads you're going to get and it goes "1 of 4" "2 of 4" "3 of 4" "4 of 4" then "5 of 4" and "6 of 4" before the show actually comes back.

Surely that's not the worst part of watching Korra.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I guess it depends on your program guide, the one through Windows Media Center always has them marked as reruns when they are.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

It is, though? You have to have a cable plan with the right channels but it's not like Hulu +.

That said the aspect ratio business is some bullshit.

paying for the cable plan means the Simpsons world has a cost. and as an extended point, that cost should mean I don't need to choke down 10 ads an episode

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In an unrelated note, apparently AdBlock works on nick.com, because I've never seen an ad while watching Korra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

paying for the cable plan means the Simpsons world has a cost. and as an extended point, that cost should mean I don't need to choke down 10 ads an episode

In much the same way that all cable networks are commercial free, right?

• Locked thread