Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The BL2 cast are a collection of amoral mercenaries who got caught up in something bigger than themselves and wanted to avenge a betrayal an attempt on their own lives. The BL1 cast are a collection of amoral mercenaries who got caught up in something bigger than themselves and (in BL2) wanted to avenge a betrayal and an attempt on their own lives.

Among them: a psycho (and the only one of them who has any moral qualms about killing innocent people), a handful of people who just kill for fun, a girl who sees all of Pandora as one big lab to test out her murderbot (and canonically, Gaige has the highest bounty on her head of any of the Vault Hunters), and Lilith, who I think is actually more autistic than Tannis.

These are not good people. This is GTA. It's a tale of criminals betraying each other in a mad race for power and purple loot. Okay, blue loot. They'd settle for green.
A mad race for incredibly disappointing wet loot farts that the gods of their universe somehow have decided qualify as "explosions".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

A mad race for incredibly disappointing wet loot farts that the gods of their universe somehow have decided qualify as "explosions".
Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode serves as a lesson of the folly of immortality and the lust for power. As you grow stronger, the game just keeps getting worse.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The final bosses in Borderlands 2 and this have great loot-splosions. As does Iwajira.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I never got a single orange in Borderlands that was worth equipping. Not one. Every single one was outclassed by all four weapons I had equipped, including the greens. And by "every single one" I mean all three.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

WickedHate posted:

Do you mean Ellie? I forgot about the Zaffords.

No I mean the one that kills herself after we bring her Scooter's poem.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The final bosses in Borderlands 2 and this have great loot-splosions. As does Iwajira.

Pretty sure he was talking about the final reward for the Torgue DLC, which I have to agree was pretty disappointing. It'd be nice if more bosses were like the end-of-act bosses in Diablo 3, where you would pretty much be guaranteed a legendary or two and a ton of rares.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

WickedHate posted:

When have Roland or Lilith killed completely innocent people, though? That's the big issue here. It doesn't make their gently caress up any less of a gently caress up, but they had justified reasoning

Lilith has no problem trying to blow up the pre-sequel vault hunters alongside Jack, and ordering Athena's execution despite the pleas of Brick/Mordecai

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vargs posted:

Lilith has no problem trying to blow up the pre-sequel vault hunters alongside Jack, and ordering Athena's execution despite the pleas of Brick/Mordecai

I wouldn't really call any of them innocent, except Athena. That the pre-sequel vault hunters were Jack's minions anyway, so taking them out with him isn't that big of a stretch. and the execution thing was extreme emotional duress, which ended up not happening anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's a lot of evidence for my "Lilith is more autistic than Tannis" theory: look at how she's unable to read Roland in the ECHO recordings in a BL2 sidequest, or how she completely doesn't understand Tina in the Tiny Tina DLC.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got an incredible oz kit called arctic oxidizer with the red text "kill it with fire"
Its amazing because it adds freeze to all my guns and it adds +60% ignite chance. At least i think it causes my weapons to freeze. im playing nisha and none of my weapons have that element

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 23, 2014

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Do you have the talent that adds a massive burn dot on a critical hit? That one might add the burning thing.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Fauxtool posted:

i got an incredible oz kit called arctic oxidizer with the red text "kill it with fire"
Its amazing because it adds freeze to all my guns and it adds +60% ignite chance. At least i think it causes my weapons to freeze. im playing nisha and none of my weapons have that element

I don't think it should be adding freeze to your weapons... The "kill it with fire" text makes explosions happen whenever you light someone on fire, and the usual Oxidizer stats are +regen in vacuum, and +ignite chance & damage. The Arctic one should just be doing arctic damage on buttslams.

WickedHate posted:

I wouldn't really call any of them innocent, except Athena. That the pre-sequel vault hunters were Jack's minions anyway, so taking them out with him isn't that big of a stretch. and the execution thing was extreme emotional duress, which ended up not happening anyway.

They are as innocent as any other Vault Hunter at that point. They have been doing the same sorts of quests, and haven't killed anyone 'innocent'.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BombiTheZombie posted:

Do you have the talent that adds a massive burn dot on a critical hit? That one might add the burning thing.

the + ignite chance is clearly spelled out on the oz kit and i have the talent. they definitely stack, but im trying to figure out where the freeze is coming from. I think ill chalk it up to being a bug

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I like how Krieg ends up being the least evil vault hunter in the franchise :allears:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Dr.Smasher posted:

So... the fight with Zorpedon. Zarpedon. whatever. After you blow up her armored suit.

Either I suck, or that's some bullshit right there.

Here's what I did:

After killing the suit and losing all my cash from respawning to her bullshit OHKO attack wave, I went back to the lunar launch module map (the one right before her arena where the fast travel station is.) I was level 22 at the time so I spent a few hours grinding cash and XP till level 24. I stopped when I found a good purple Torgue Shotgun that can one-shot almost everything at close range. Surprisingly, I took her down in 3 rounds.

There are 6 chests to farm on this map. First go to the big room opposite Jack's cabin and take the stairs either left or right. Head down into the purple levels and back to where you knocked out the power cells for the mission to lower the shield. One one side, there is a storage room with a Hyperion gun closet chest in the purple room before the coolant corridor. In each coolant corridor there are 2 Dahl chests: 1 small and 1 large. Go all the way up and go out side. You should be in the outdoor area where the gate to the Zarpedon arena is. Go down the stairs and you will find another Hyperion gun closet chest and an ammo and health vendor to sell off the crap. If you run out of room, just remember to go right after coming back out to go back into the complex and go to the other side.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

mastersord posted:

Here's what I did:

I was level 22 at the time so I spent a few hours grinding cash and XP till level 24.

This is the only bit that probably mattered.

I'm getting bored of people saying "X fight is too hard!" and then revealing they are 2 or 3 levels under the boss. The scaling isn't as severe as BL2 but you still really need to be no more than a level below boss fights or you'll be badly outclassed.

The level scaling of the main quest seems to take into account you hoovering most if not all of the side quests up. Some side quests give ludicrous XP too. For instance that race quest in triton flats. If you complete it in TVHM it'll give you 10k XP, but if you beat it first time and keep the optional objective checked you get 30k XP. Optional objectives do sometimes affect quest rewards now, heads up.

That race quest is a dick though because the route markers are terrible and you'll get lost first time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Are the weapon slot upgrades missable in this one or something? I'm apparently halfway through the story (getting the robot AI) and I've still only got two weapon slots. :confused:

EDIT: Apparently they just give them out way later for some stupid reason! I'm getting really really tired of having to open my inventory in the middle of a fight to switch elemental damage.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

Are the weapon slot upgrades missable in this one or something? I'm apparently halfway through the story (getting the robot AI) and I've still only got two weapon slots. :confused:

they are coming up soon. both are from main quest stuff. just save edit if its really bothering out

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I beat the raid boss at 4 levels beneath their level without going down a single time so v:shobon:v

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

CJacobs posted:

I beat the raid boss at 4 levels beneath their level without going down a single time so v:shobon:v

To be fair, the raid boss is pretty forgiving. Plenty of adds to resurrect from and it's attacks are all very dodgeable.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Have anyone here tried to run the game in Nvidia surround?. Is it hard to drive/looks good with the menus?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is it me or is the music in this game completely negligible? Like, I cannot think of a single piece of music in this entire game that stands out to me or that I know the melody of.

edit: I take it back, I know the dubstep/dance music that the mini claptrap does by heart because I have heard it hundreds of times in the past 20 hours.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 23, 2014

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

CJacobs posted:

Is it me or is the music in this game completely negligible? Like, I cannot think of a single piece of music in this entire game that stands out to me or that I know the melody of.

I like the music in the laser part of helios and the one in tychos ribs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In other news, holy poo poo the Tannis riding a fish easter egg is back again and it's even activated the same way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ahx2gy_Kdw

At least some things never change.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

CJacobs posted:

A lot of the moon ambient music reminded me oddly of Star Control 2.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

xiw posted:

Pretty sure Zarpedon was just heavily warped by the Eridian vault - similar to all the lost legion Ascended dudes you meet in the last area. She had the same visual eye effect that Jack does while using the Eridian throne just before being facepunched.

Lilith, Maya, Angel, the Atlas woman from BL1 are 4.

I think Jack says something about knowing 3-4 of the 6 sirens in BL2.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CJacobs posted:

The only one that stood out to me was the music from the stalker habitat on Helios. It's probably the biggest step down from BL2.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dyz posted:

Lilith, Maya, Angel, the Atlas woman from BL1 are 4.

I think Jack says something about knowing 3-4 of the 6 sirens in BL2.

Commendant Steele is never confirmed to be a siren and she's dead anyway so it doesn't matter.

From last page.

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of things that happened before the sequel existed, it will always bother me that now instead of Angel lying to the vault hunters about the vault in BL1 to save the universe (revealed at the end of BL1), she lied about the vault so that Jack could come into power (revealed in the middle of BL2).

They retconned the only reason I liked the ending of Borderlands 1! :negative:
I agree fully except for one thing. Angel never lied about the vault. She never says that it's full of treasure or anything like that. She doesn't even mention what it contains or what it is, just how to open it and that it can only be opened once every 300(?) years. She also implies that she has a longer lifetime than that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AirRaid posted:

This is the only bit that probably mattered.

I'm getting bored of people saying "X fight is too hard!" and then revealing they are 2 or 3 levels under the boss. The scaling isn't as severe as BL2 but you still really need to be no more than a level below boss fights or you'll be badly outclassed.

Being 2 levels under the boss is what the game expects; pretty much every boss is 2 levels above the recommended level of the quest itself. Also doesn't matter to Nisha I'll say; I was ~5 levels under Zarpdeon and I wrecked her. Nisha OP as gently caress

quote:

The level scaling of the main quest seems to take into account you hoovering most if not all of the side quests up. Some side quests give ludicrous XP too. For instance that race quest in triton flats. If you complete it in TVHM it'll give you 10k XP, but if you beat it first time and keep the optional objective checked you get 30k XP. Optional objectives do sometimes affect quest rewards now, heads up.

This is one thing about the game I really like. Much better than BL2 where even doing a few sidequests would make you massively overleveled for the story content.

quote:

That race quest is a dick though because the route markers are terrible and you'll get lost first time.
I had no trouble with it. Took a bit slow the first time and still had ~10 seconds left on the clock.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Alteisen posted:

The funny thing about this is they could have easily set it up within the game world.

Hyperion owns all the new U's, when you're about to go fight angel have Jack go on some crazy rant about how he's done playing games and he deletes the profiles of all the vault hunters, then angel chimes in and says she only managed to save the profiles of the new hunters and voila, the old hunters are now "mortal" and you can keep dying and respawning like normal. Thus when Roland gets shot it has more impact.

In Borderlands 2, there's cut dialogue from Angel, explaining that she's hacked the New-U machines so they'll respawn you and that Jack can't shut you out. Also, originally the New-U dialogue was going to consist of taunts from Jack himself, but it was changed over to the the generic female Hyperion announcer instead.

Of interest to Wilhelm players is also the cut dialogue that Wilhelm was poisoned by Jack before the fight in Borderlands 2, to ensure the vault hunters steal the power core. I always found it disappointing that he was built up as a boss that could take on the original vault hunters at their prime and turns out to be an easily beaten chump, myself.

Skandranon posted:

It wasn't exactly no reason, it was just a poor reason. I also don't buy Lilith's 'horrified' reaction, considering everything they've done and for what reasons (money/loot). And they could have just punched him to death while they were alone in his office.

Not really, since they needed Jack's help to shut down the cannon. Once the cannon and Zarpedon were dealt with, then they could take care of Jack. Zarpedon was the more immediate threat to deal with. Granted, she probably had smarter opportunities to take care of Jack, but there you have it.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

FactsAreUseless posted:

The BL2 cast are a collection of amoral mercenaries who got caught up in something bigger than themselves and wanted to avenge a betrayal an attempt on their own lives. The BL1 cast are a collection of amoral mercenaries who got caught up in something bigger than themselves and (in BL2) wanted to avenge a betrayal and an attempt on their own lives.

Among them: a psycho (and the only one of them who has any moral qualms about killing innocent people), a handful of people who just kill for fun, a girl who sees all of Pandora as one big lab to test out her murderbot (and canonically, Gaige has the highest bounty on her head of any of the Vault Hunters), and Lilith, who I think is actually more autistic than Tannis.

These are not good people. This is GTA. It's a tale of criminals betraying each other in a mad race for power and purple loot. Okay, blue loot. They'd settle for green.

It kinda sounds like you're taking this out of context, the BL games have their own flavor to them and "killing = fun" is a big part of that.

The protagonists are always on the more "decent" side of the wheel though, even if you look at Brick's story in BL2 where he's genuinely the leader of a group that makes new members kill existing ones (again this falls in the context of BL though since they needed to make a mission to create context for metting Brick and since all BL missions involve killing things that's what they did) and is generally a blood thirsty maniac he's still seen as that "friendly Hulk like guy who just loses control but is on the right side".

That said you can assert that some characters are "morally" better than others, for example Maya is a "better" person compared to say Zero since she was innocent to begin with (i.e. she was manipulated by a monastic order to scare the population of a planet and when she discovers this she kills the main perpetrator and escapes to find out more about sirens) compared to someone who kills people looking for a challenge. Or Salvador being the killing maniac in a similar fashion to Brick but who generally kills when threatened (i.e. killing the people who tried to hurt his grandmother, killing Hyperion guys who attacked his village DESPITE his village wanting to execute Salvador, etc) compared to Axton who was just a military guy obsessed with glory and who ignored the costs of his decisions.

It's all flavor though, BL games are p much hacknslash with guns so as killing is basically the only thing you do throughout the whole game it's bound for stuff to be built around it.

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's a lot of evidence for my "Lilith is more autistic than Tannis" theory: look at how she's unable to read Roland in the ECHO recordings in a BL2 sidequest, or how she completely doesn't understand Tina in the Tiny Tina DLC.

They made her more emotionally retarded on purpose to make the whole Lilith-Roland romance thing more amusing, again that was just a flavor thing. Sure Lilith cared generally less about life than Roland (see how excited she was the first time she melted someone) but that didn't prevent her from making you stop that cult that was about to kill innocent people in her sake did it D:

Idk it seems kinda dumb to talk about story-line poo poo with BL games because that's not what they're about and everything is again done in the devs' dark'ish humour since the game is about killing poo poo non-stop and you don't want to read TOO much into it.

I mean i genuinely enjoyed some of the plot quirks and how well Jack and the poo poo he did was done in BL2 and a few other things but it's not like story and character development are BL's strong points.

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 23, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
There's a 20 page thread on exactly the stuff you guys are talking about on the Borderlands forum. The posts aren't as bad as the usual game forum affair (at least they're only as bad as anything anyone is posting here).

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Supradog posted:

Have anyone here tried to run the game in Nvidia surround?. Is it hard to drive/looks good with the menus?

Some of the main menus don't work properly (the Borderlands logo menu screen before the main menu too) such as the Shift rewards screen. The game itself is absolutely fine at 5760x1080 though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Some of the main menus don't work properly (the Borderlands logo menu screen before the main menu too) such as the Shift rewards screen. The game itself is absolutely fine at 5760x1080 though.

I can't wait to see someone try to run it at 5120x2880 on the new iMac. Even in bootcamp that's going to be a mess.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

CJacobs posted:

In other news, holy poo poo the Tannis riding a fish easter egg is back again and it's even activated the same way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ahx2gy_Kdw

At least some things never change.

I watched a Twitch stream a couple days back where a fellow spotted the area and just knew what was there, but he wasn't able to figure out the right combination to trigger it. If I happen into his stream again, I'll tell him the correct order.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Since people here are spergin' out over canon minutiae, I guess it bears mentioning that Gearbox released an official timeline that, in classic Gearbox fashion, is vague and poorly formatted.

Of note is this entry:

quote:

Claptrap helps the vault hunters avoid death at the hands of Jack, while Wilhelm realizes he may have gone too far in turning himself into a cyborg.
- which is plotted as having happened around the time Roland was killed.

Which kinda furthers my suspicions that Krieg is either Wilhelm, or at least has his conscience.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Father Wendigo posted:

Which kinda furthers my suspicions that Krieg is either Wilhelm, or at least has his conscience.

Krieg is Tina's father. That was probably just a joke about how unrecognizable Wilhelm is between games.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Krieg being Wilhelm doesn't make any sense, and Krieg being Tina's father was never officially confirmed by Gearbox.

The credits at the end of TPS show Wilhelm going full bald-guy cyborg and fighting alongside Jack looking just like he did in BL2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Father Wendigo posted:

- which is plotted as having happened around the time Roland was killed.

Sounds more like a retcon to have him show up in future games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Father Wendigo posted:

Since people here are spergin' out over canon minutiae, I guess it bears mentioning that Gearbox released an official timeline that, in classic Gearbox fashion, is vague and poorly formatted.

Wow, yeah, that's really badly done. It doesn't explain much of anything, just throws out random factoids, particularly if they're about Claptrap or Jack.

Is that the true struggle for Pandora? Claptrap vs. Jack? :raise:

• Locked thread