Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The Pigmasks are everywhere now. They've apparently taken over the town and are recruiting from the townsfolk, who are too full of Happy Box to question being ruled by a bunch of obese thugs that make pig noises as they charge into battle.

They also burned down Sunshine Forest, almost killing Lighter and Fuel, and turned a caribou and a Drago into murderous cyborgs. A journal they left behind showed plans to do the same to more animals, for the sake of making them cooler.

I miss when they were just cowards running away at the first sight of Flint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

No Gravitas posted:

I'm in Canada. We don't treat our elderly too great from what I have seen.

The thing is a glorified prison, smells like poo poo and vinegar and has crazy people shrieking at the top of their lungs as if it were an asylum. "I want my husband! You cannot keep me here! I want my husband!". For days on end, this continuing for what is now month #4. Can't say I blame her though. I would not want to stay there for too long either.

You do get whipped cream and pancakes with your massive doses of anti-depressants and Seroquil though. That has to count for something.

And this was the best of the three places that I have seen...

:negative:

Nursing homes are often depressing and awful, but a big part of that is that, well, when people get older they start breaking down. My grandmother passed away a few years back, and she went through a slow and steady decline until then. We kept her at home as long as we could, but eventually we had to send her to board and care and then finally to a home. There's not much you can do when people at the home are going senile, losing their minds, don't have the ability to care for themselves, lose control of their basic bodily functions, etc. etc. etc.

There were people there who screamed constantly (and that's what made the family send them to the home in the first place), people who couldn't function without the assistance of nurses (like my grandmother), and then the saddest cases, people who could function, but whose families were unable or unwilling to help care for them. Visiting my grandmother was always a bit bittersweet, since I could see her slowly slipping away over time, and it was always depressing to see all of the other elderly people that were jealous that she was getting visitors and how much they wanted to see their families.

At least the facilities were clean though, that place in the game is a travesty, and really shows how far the town has declined if that's how they're treating the elderly who are able-bodied and sound of mind.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

frozentreasure posted:

The town was modernised (not necessarily a bad thing as we know it, but the village had thrived perfectly fine up to that point the way it had, and, as mentioned, one of the big themes of the game is nature vs. technology, so the encroach of civilisation is a bad thing as far as the story is concerned).

I don't really agree on this point. The part that's treated as evil isn't the technology, but rather the loss of empathy within the community. The happy boxes aren't bad because they're made of metal and shine weirdly, they're bad because everyone's sitting at home doing nothing but watching the boxes.

The theme that's relevant is a lot deeper than a basic environmentalist message. You have the elderly being shoved into a old folks home while they're perfectly sane (and likely still able to care for themselves,) you have the policeman's throwaway line about Flint, you have the tourists...it's not that technology is evil, it's that people use that technology to shut themselves away from each other.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GeneX posted:

I don't really agree on this point. The part that's treated as evil isn't the technology, but rather the loss of empathy within the community. The happy boxes aren't bad because they're made of metal and shine weirdly, they're bad because everyone's sitting at home doing nothing but watching the boxes.

The theme that's relevant is a lot deeper than a basic environmentalist message. You have the elderly being shoved into a old folks home while they're perfectly sane (and likely still able to care for themselves,) you have the policeman's throwaway line about Flint, you have the tourists...it's not that technology is evil, it's that people use that technology to shut themselves away from each other.

It has a strong gentrification message as well. It's not necessarily bad if people want to get all this new modern junk, but anyone who's not getting right on board with the Happy Boxes is getting pushed away. From the "convenient" lightning striking repeatedly in certain locations, to the little insults like the "no comedy routines here" sign, there's this new level of control over the town to shove you out or stomp right over you if you don't fall in line.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the big take-away from this game is that televisions prevent lightning strikes. How is that a bad thing?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordAba posted:

I think the big take-away from this game is that televisions prevent lightning strikes. How is that a bad thing?

I have a TV at home and my home has never been hit by lightning! :aaa: Are you here to lead like our very own Fassad?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

The music here is a broadcast radio version of the Pigmask theme, but I could not find it in the song pack I downloaded. If anyone has the proper name for it, I'll find it and edit it in later.

I have it as "424 Right Left Right Heft (Pigmen's Anthem III)", all the way over in the Chapter Seven songs, but yours are obviously translated differently and may not be organized in the same manner.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dareon posted:

I have it as "424 Right Left Right Heft (Pigmen's Anthem III)", all the way over in the Chapter Seven songs, but yours are obviously translated differently and may not be organized in the same manner.

I have "Right Left Left Right" under the same section, but hilariously it's only one second long.

Think I'll have to rip the drat thing myself then.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
There's a good chance that it's on its own as its own sound sample as far as rom data is concerned, though. Not a high one, but I might bet on it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rather than dig through the many various unmarked sound samples, I just went ahead and ripped it from the game myself. Of course, since it's from the game, it's not cleaned up like the rest of the music, but it's supposed to be low-qualityish anyway so it'll do.

Thanks for everyone who checked, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This apparently being the 'true beginning of the game' reminds me of my first playthrough of Link to the Past. You do the three dungeons, then you travel to the dark world, enter the first dark world dungeon, and the screen says: Level 1. First thing I thought was "what do you think I've done up till now? Nothing?"

Just saying it's a bit weird if they consider such a big part (in this case three chapters) as 'just the prologue'.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think it's more a fan perception than the game's, but it makes sense to me for several reasons. We don't really get the familiar "Mother" setting of modern cities and kids dealing with town/world-threatening problems until Chapter 4. Until then, the game is wildly different from the first two games as far as setting goes. Another big thing is that, other than briefly at the beginning of the game, we don't play as the game's main protagonist until Chapter 4, seeing the game from three other characters' perspective instead. And finally, the first three chapters serve more as backstory for why things are the way they are in Chapter 4 on while establishing the tone of the game before we officially see Lucas start his adventure.

That's not to say the first three chapters are meaningless, as without them the player wouldn't have nearly as much investment in the setting and characters, but especially Chapter 3 feels more like busy work while you wade through the set-up stuff.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

That's not to say the first three chapters are meaningless, as without them the player wouldn't have nearly as much investment in the setting and characters, but especially Chapter 3 feels more like busy work while you wade through the set-up stuff.

The alternative is setting up the game in Media Res, which means DataLogs, perky Australian teens, and... wait wrong game.

Still, they'd have to explain Luca's backstory, why Fassad is around, and all that junk if it wasn't shown.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

This apparently being the 'true beginning of the game' reminds me of my first playthrough of Link to the Past. You do the three dungeons, then you travel to the dark world, enter the first dark world dungeon, and the screen says: Level 1. First thing I thought was "what do you think I've done up till now? Nothing?"

Just saying it's a bit weird if they consider such a big part (in this case three chapters) as 'just the prologue'.
Isn't that just the game telling you it's the first dark world dungeon?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Isn't that just the game telling you it's the first dark world dungeon?

It is, but light world dungeons aren't numbered at all (they are named, though, just like all dungeons). So it feels like it doesn't consider light world dungeons "actual levels".

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mother 3 does an odd way of story telling for video games. Usually you get thrown in the middle of the climax of a conflict, with a character that has no knowledge of the political climate. That way the gameplay starts strong and then intetuptions in the action give you the back story. Or they make the backstory optional side content.

Mother 3 and other mostly storyline focused games give you the back story first and then build the story on that. This makes the early gameplay slower and a little more dull. But when the story gets going you don't need constant pauses while people explain to Lucas why fassad is a bas guy and how the pig army destroyed his family. We are invested in the story when the game finally gets to the adventures of Lucas.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 23, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So this is happening:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2014/10/a-mother-3-script-rewrite-project-attacks/

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Carbon dioxide posted:

It is, but light world dungeons aren't numbered at all (they are named, though, just like all dungeons). So it feels like it doesn't consider light world dungeons "actual levels".
There's a clear prologue when you are running around trying to save Zelda from the castle dungeon; once tasked with getting the three MacGuffins and kicked out into the overworld with the traditional Zelda theme playing, that seems to be an obvious herald of the game "really" starting. Act 1 is getting the Master Sword, Act 2 is the Dark World.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that Kumatora is using South African slang for some reason.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm excited for this translation patch! The exclamation points add unbounded excitement! Who is doing this and why!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I'm excited for this translation patch! The exclamation points add unbounded excitement! Who is doing this and why!
I don't know what's funnier, that or the guy in the comments who's really mad about 'This way's a nope,' even though that's a thing someone would say.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

I don't know what's funnier, that or the guy in the comments who's really mad about 'This way's a nope,' even though that's a thing someone would say.

It sounds more like something you'd hear from neptunia, but my experience with Mother is limited to this thread so I don't know if that matches Earthbound's style or not.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

frozentreasure posted:

From a gameplay standpoint, the changes are nice and it kicks the game into gear properly.

From a narrative standpoint, this is why Fassad is so eminently detestable; he did awful things in chapter three, had nothing to worry about, and then even after our heroes did everything they could to stop him and appeared to have done so, the next time we get to see things, it's clear that he won.

The system of money has been instated. Happy Boxes™ were set up. The town was modernised (not necessarily a bad thing as we know it, but the village had thrived perfectly fine up to that point the way it had, and, as mentioned, one of the big themes of the game is nature vs. technology, so the encroach of civilisation is a bad thing as far as the story is concerned). People are working in some factory; even children. Strangers are all about and everything carries an undertone that this is not a world that Lucas and family are comfortable with, not one that they belong in.

The strongest touch for all of this is that we can now talk to the Pigmasks like regular NPCs. Even though we know that they were and are evil, the mass public are convinced that they're just regular guys, or perhaps even that it's like a volunteer military and that it's okay to join up. So we're left being one of a handful of people who know that things aren't right in this place, and to the rest of the town we'd just come off as the crazy guy yelling on the corner of the street if we ever tried to speak up about it.

It's a really well-done slap in the face to the player, suggesting that their actions are utterly futile, simultaneously strengthening their resolve to get out there, stop these assholes, and save everyone, whether they even realise they need saving or not.

Definitely agree with most of this. Modernization isn't evil on its own, but it's a gradual thing that people and communities embrace on their own schedules. To see it happen so quickly and under the thumb of Fassad is really irritating.

Also Flint spending all his time looking for Claus is really :smith:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

Yeah, I kind of was okay with the changes myself. Also Wes was miserable and that makes me happy.

Wess is an interesting character. While Tazmily existed without greed, the concept of a thief -- other than as some kind of sneaky weirdo -- was alien to all of the townsfolk except Wess. It was Wess who kept isolated from Tazmily and endlessly trained Duster to become a thief, while hoping Tazmily would never actually need one.

The feeling I'm getting is that Wess had some kind of idea that something like this could happen to the village, but he didn't know when. I want to see where he's coming from, if the game ever gets to that.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Endorph posted:

He's also mad at "useful as caramel", which makes more sense. "A caramel" is something prepared for you to eat. Caramel is just the substance.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Wess is an interesting character. While Tazmily existed without greed, the concept of a thief -- other than as some kind of sneaky weirdo -- was alien to all of the townsfolk except Wess.
They at least knew that a thief takes things, and they were a bit nervous about Duster being up and about because of it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

CrashScreen posted:

It sounds more like something you'd hear from neptunia, but my experience with Mother is limited to this thread so I don't know if that matches Earthbound's style or not.

Mother is Earthbound's original name. Earthbound is pretty much the translated name.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Cheez posted:

He's also mad at "useful as caramel", which makes more sense. "A caramel" is something prepared for you to eat. Caramel is just the substance.

Since there's no caramel items in-game for you to eat and gain positive effects from, "a caramel" makes just as much sense for how useful something is in battle, but that's neither here nor there. At no point during the game when I play it do I stop and think "there really needs to be a better translation of this", and I don't know why this person is making another one, unless they just want to practice translation.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

You're right, let's never refine or smooth out anything. The closer to first draft, the better. My scheme for world domination has faild.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

Erm... I'm not sure how a thing people would actually say is specific to one style or another? "____'s a nope" or "____'s a no go." is a thing I have heard people say, in real life. If it fits the character and their style of speaking, then it makes as much sense as anything else.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Cheez posted:

They at least knew that a thief takes things, and they were a bit nervous about Duster being up and about because of it.

Where they really nervous about it until money came into the picture?

Also, retranslating Mother 3 sounds like a waste of time to me, tomatos translation writing was pretty much spot on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm not a big fan of what I've seen so far, but it may not be that bad. I remember people talking poo poo about FF6: Brave New World's retranslation, but other than the (later removed) excessive swearing and a couple of really crappy sections, I enjoyed it.

So maybe it'll actually be pretty good. At the very least, it's at least trying to keep with the spirit of the series with lighthearted banter. That, and it doesn't seem to be replacing Boney or whoever with a self-insert character named Iscar Matthias.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Kemix posted:

Mother is Earthbound's original name. Earthbound is pretty much the translated name.

Ah, yeah, I know that. I was using Earthbound to refer specifically to the localized version. My bad if I wasn't clear enough.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Pretty sure they're just editing the English script, not retranslating anything, not that that alters the discussion much.

I'm not personally interested but unless a prior translation is outright bad I'm unlikely to be bothered.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."

Carbon dioxide posted:

This whole section actually really reminds me of Dragon Quest 4. They had four distinct shorter chapters leading up to one REALLY LONG 5th chapter, where each Chapter starred a different character as your main PC. You got to learn their backstories and motivations and meet a few of the people in their lives and even have those guys in your party for a while. Then Chapter 5 starts with your blank Dragon Quest protagonist and you're off to Save The World(tm) and you end up collecting the heroes from the prologue chapters along the way. It's probably the most story-driven thing in a Dragon Quest game until DQ8...

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, it does seem like a kind of pointless project, but drat that was some petty griping in those comments. It's not like the dude's making an official release that'll seriously compete with the preferred Tomato version or anything, what crawled up their butts?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, it does seem like a kind of pointless project, but drat that was some petty griping in those comments. It's not like the dude's making an official release that'll seriously compete with the preferred Tomato version or anything, what crawled up their butts?

Nerds + new thing + change to something they like.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

RaspberryCommie posted:

Nerds + new thing + change to something they like.

+ How dare someone insinuate their ultra translator Tomato is less than perfect?! Those comments really annoyed me. Blind praise from rabid fans improves no one.

I understand where Tomato is coming from when he's self-critical of his localizations. He admitted that the script didn't get a final polishing phase, so I'm interested in what this other person has in store for the script. The "Howzit" struck me as odd at first, but I don't mind Kumatora saying that as long as her style of slang is consistent, and not just throwing in whatever sounds cool.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mega64 posted:

I'm not a big fan of what I've seen so far, but it may not be that bad. I remember people talking poo poo about FF6: Brave New World's retranslation, but other than the (later removed) excessive swearing and a couple of really crappy sections, I enjoyed it.

So maybe it'll actually be pretty good. At the very least, it's at least trying to keep with the spirit of the series with lighthearted banter. That, and it doesn't seem to be replacing Boney or whoever with a self-insert character named Iscar Matthias.

That dude is super mad about Cait Sith.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Kai Tave posted:

That dude is super mad about Cait Sith.

He's probably a dog person. Maybe he should replace Cait Sith with Boney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

That, and it doesn't seem to be replacing Boney or whoever with a self-insert character named Iscar Matthias.

Someone here, and I won't say who, is going to have to LP this mod. We must know that saga of Iscar Matthias.

• Locked thread