Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4726202005.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

My dad has been looking, albeit mostly half-assed, for specifically another pre-76 260z because of CA smog laws and all. When I was growing up my parents had a '74 260z orange with black louvers on the back window. I use to sit on the rear shelf, this was obviously before seat belt laws. Aaaaah the days of learning to count on the manual, sitting in the passenger seat shifting for him and listening to Jethro Tull on cassette.

1974 was the only year they sold the 260z here. Anything earlier is a 240 and anything newer is a 280.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's a coincidence, I was just looking at this ad:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4725255830.html

Dispensation from the wife to check it out and buy it if I like, because it's sufficiently cheap that we could still buy a little convertible too.

How familiar are you with 1970s fuel injection? Because if anything goes wrong you're gonna need to become an expert.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

How familiar are you with 1970s fuel injection? Because if anything goes wrong you're gonna need to become an expert.

:getin:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I was under impression that body panels were mostly fiberglass on those? Do some research, it may be worth it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nitrox posted:

I was under impression that body panels were mostly fiberglass on those? Do some research, it may be worth it.

And fiberglass is an absolute pain in the rear end to do bodywork on. Can't weld, if a section needs replacing you're looking at learning resin work to bond it in place. And that poo poo gets brittle over time, especially if it's neglected like that one appears to have been.

Now add in the standard issues of dealing with a (relatively) high-end car that's 30 years old. 80s GM EFI, ancient suspension, all rubber seals are probably worn out and rotting away, who knows if any of the cabin electronics still function properly, and ugh those wheels.

And to top it all off, it's an auto.

Even for $2 grand, I'd look elsewhere.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VideoTapir posted:

There are also roughly eleven billion points in that setup where a fuel leak or a vacuum leak will occur. You will eventually discover all of them.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/4726271218.html

Clean XFi Metro, is it wrong to want this?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's only wrong if you don't plan on ebay-turbocharging the piss out of it and loling all day at stoplights.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fucknag posted:

And to top it all off, it's an auto.

The only other option was the 4+3. Meh.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There are also roughly eleven billion points in that setup where a fuel leak or a vacuum leak will occur. You will eventually discover all of them.

First thing you do should probably be to replace all of the vacuum lines, which should be easy as long as no one went and mixed them up before you got it.

someone did.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Get that poo poo and enjoy your street legal death trap go kart. It will be hilarious and terrifying. Hilarifying if you will. (I stole that from somewheres)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Buy it, replace the timing belt, drive it forever.

(I'm assuming at 77k miles it needs a new timing belt and that the existing one has not been replaced because.)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4728168367.html

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ugh where were these when I was buying a truck? Oddly enough there aren't any good IH Pickups up now, and they were easy to find when I was looking. I would have bought this one since it has the headlights I love and is 4x4.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bucephalus posted:

The only other option was the 4+3. Meh.

I've heard that the 4+3 was pretty awful, but what is so crappy about it?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slidebite posted:

I've heard that the 4+3 was pretty awful, but what is so crappy about it?

4-speed manual with an overdrive unit that engages automatically in 4th for a 5th gear, but can also be engaged manually in 2nd and 3d (so gear order goes 1 - 2 - 2OD - 3 - 3OD - 4 - 4OD/5).

Apparently it was real picky about fluids, which also had to be changed every 15k miles. It was a slapdash solution to early CAFE standards, and apparently was prone to failure under full power, even with 80s engines that were just starting to come out of the malaise era in terms of power. And even then, it had worse upper gear ratios than the 6-speed that eventually replaced it, so economy wasn't that great anyway.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Ugh where were these when I was buying a truck?

One of us! One of us! Gooble-gobble! Gooble-gobble!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Something terrible is lurking in that "unfinished project" or that is the steal of the month.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

Something terrible is lurking in that "unfinished project" or that is the steal of the month.

It's right there in the URL http://pittsburgh

Rust belt

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is pretty neat and I may try to see it tomorrow, it's nearby:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4718569129.html

I saw this tonight. As he said, there was some moderate bubbling on the passenger front fender, and a bit of obvious bondo on the passenger rocker panel. The underside had mild surface rust in most places; as he said, there did appear to be plenty of metal.

When started, the choked engine threw a good bit of soot onto his white garage door via the tailpipe. The engine was also rather shaky when on the choke, but once it warmed up and he turned off the choke, it settled into a nice quiet idle. I did detect a high pitched component, hard to catch but sort of a regular metallic clinking. Could only hear it with the hood open.

It drove nice. Didn't like going into 2nd in either direction if you were over about 20mph. Felt responsive to steer, clutch was nice, brakes worked but pulled a little to the right. Seats had pretty flat cushions but the upholstery was decent. Carpets a little faded but not bad. Dash decent and the toggles for the lights and wipers were AWESOME.

I told him it was nice but 8k was too much for me, but that I'd probably be all over it if it were 5k. He pretty much immediately was ready to let it go for 5.5k. I told him I'd think about it, look at parts availability, and maybe get back to him.

So yeah, my wife and I both like it but we also see a lot of nice old MGBs for less and in probably better shape. I could probably get it for 5k. Still might.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just get a Miata if you want a roadster dude, all the fun with none of the headaches.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

Just get a Miata if you want a roadster dude, all the fun with none of the headaches.

Wife doesn't care for Miatas, we both agree on the old Datsuns and MGs, though.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

leica posted:

Booooooring.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of MG, she just found a 71 Midget for $3500, looks decent except some bugger scraped up the rear quarter panel in a lot or something, comes with a spare engine and transmission. We're going to see it on Saturday.

Edit: I'd post a pic but I'm phoneposting right now.

Edit 2: Ah, here we go:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4729018941.html

I've texted the owner, it's hard to resist what is one of the best craigslist ads I've ever seen and from his texting he seems like a good guy to deal with. We'll see what it's like in person and if the "no rust except this one small spot" is true. Also look at his loving shop, goddamn.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 24, 2014

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Fortunately the forum is called Automotive Insanity not Automotive Ehh I dunno I guess I'll just buy a Miata and actually drive it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Booooooring.

Lol. Yeah dependable roadsters are boring as hell, it's more interesting when they're not running!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
We like wagons here, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's always the Toyota MR-S, you were posting stuff around 6-8k before weren't you?

I mean, not to discourage you if you really want an MG or datsun, just giving another option for a reliable roadster.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's always the Toyota MR-S, you were posting stuff around 6-8k before weren't you?

I mean, not to discourage you if you really want an MG or datsun, just giving another option for a reliable roadster.

I'd totally just get an MR2 if I were single, but we're looking for a roadster and our tastes mostly converge around the 1960s.

I'm honestly not sure what she'll do if we get one, she seems to loving love browsing craigslist cars.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of MG, she just found a 71 Midget for $3500, looks decent except some bugger scraped up the rear quarter panel in a lot or something, comes with a spare engine and transmission. We're going to see it on Saturday.

<AD>

I've texted the owner, it's hard to resist what is one of the best craigslist ads I've ever seen and from his texting he seems like a good guy to deal with. We'll see what it's like in person and if the "no rust except this one small spot" is true. Also look at his loving shop, goddamn.

:swoon:

Buy this fuckin car. That is a holy-god amazing deal.

If you have the time and energy to keep it running that is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

:swoon:

Buy this fuckin car. That is a holy-god amazing deal.

If you have the time and energy to keep it running that is.

Time? Probably. Energy? Maybe. Skill? Quite possibly not, but I'm willing to try.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
E30 fever isn't this high - I hope.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/saskatoon/1989-bmw-325i/1020475617?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

EDIT - WRONG TAB

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 24, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Time? Probably. Energy? Maybe. Skill? Quite possibly not, but I'm willing to try.

Do not buy an MG then unless you're like 14" and like the abuse.

Every MG owner I've ever known rarely drove them, they were always in the garage/driveway collecting dirt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stop taunting me.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Stop taunting me.

Are you anywhere near that thing?
If so, go check out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tai-Pan posted:

Are you anywhere near that thing?
If so, go check out.

I have a buddy pretty drat close.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Dude buy it.

at the worst you'd have to bribe me with beers. I've worked on those fuckers all too often.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

I googled for the XFi to see what that trim level entailed, and came across... this: http://metroxfi.com/

It starts out sort of normal in the first couple paragraphs and then takes a hard left into bat country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

este posted:

I googled for the XFi to see what that trim level entailed, and came across... this: http://metroxfi.com/

It starts out sort of normal in the first couple paragraphs and then takes a hard left into bat country.

Lolwut, holy poo poo. Such a hard left he spins out of bat country and straight into meth-addled fever dream territory.