Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lelandjs posted:

In an unrelated note, apparently AdBlock works on nick.com, because I've never seen an ad while watching Korra.

It works so well that I've never seen one either and I don't even use AdBlock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JohnSherman posted:

Or, and I know this may be shocking, they want to make money when you stream segments from their show.

It's great to see that the goalposts have moved from "Entertainment company x won't let me stream their stuff legally :qqsay:" to "Entertainment company X will let me stream literally every clip from the 11 year history of the Daily Show in HD for free but I have to watch an ad first! :qqsay:"

The goalpost has always been "don't make legal paid versions of products inferior to :filez: and then complain when people choose the superior product", poo poo like the ad-filled Simpsons app are the television equivalent of the pre-iTunes era of digital music when individual record labels released lovely overpriced proprietary digital music services and then stomped their feet when it didn't magically end piracy.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

In much the same way that all cable networks are commercial free, right?

but cable networks aren't streaming services, which is the point. the more companies who erode the distinction with poo poo like tv-style ads (Simpsons World is pretty much an exact replica of a live cable network in my experience), the more pointless they're going to make the streaming service in the first place. Netflix and HBO Go pretty much crush every other streaming service because they realize that ads do not belong in a streaming app that you can only access by paying.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The goalpost has always been "don't make legal paid versions of products inferior to :filez: and then complain when people choose the superior product", poo poo like the ad-filled Simpsons app are the television equivalent of the pre-iTunes era of digital music when individual record labels released lovely overpriced proprietary digital music services and then stomped their feet when it didn't magically end piracy.

A supplement to your ad-filled cable subscription has ads? Color me shocked.

I'm not exactly sure what you think you're owed by these networks. If you standard of an acceptable product is one that delivers HD content to you without ads, than you might as well keep stealing/pirating your poo poo, because the networks are never going to give that to you. It's ridiculous to expect that they would.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

but cable networks aren't streaming services, which is the point. the more companies who erode the distinction with poo poo like tv-style ads (Simpsons World is pretty much an exact replica of a live cable network in my experience), the more pointless they're going to make the streaming service in the first place. Netflix and HBO Go pretty much crush every other streaming service because they realize that ads do not belong in a streaming app that you can only access by paying.

Exactly. I'm willing to accept ads in things that are free, or in things I have to prove I pay for but offer it live along with tv. If I'm trying to stream an episode that has already aired and I have to prove I'm paying money, don't show me ads.

Hell, I'll pay money for live access to channels (with ads) that also gives me ad free on-demand access to stuff that's already aired. Comcast looked like they were going that way, but their on-demand stuff is really limited and most of it has unskippable ads in it.

I guess if there's a "watch live" option I'm willing to accept ads. If it's not live and I'm paying, no ads.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 23, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

Streaming is just television on the Internet, there's no rule stating it has to be ad-free. Honestly, unless you purchased a cable plan solely for Simpson's World, I'm not sure why you're complaining about a value added feature. If you want an ad-free experience, you can always buy the episodes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Enough Simpsons chat, more talk on terrible network shows.

holy poo poo, Stalker was bad before, but they topped themselves this week with a "serial terror stalker" who's just like a serial killer! Some weirdo would basically stalk women then expose them to their greatest fear while taping it.

This show wants so badly to be some extremely compelling police procedural when its all about women who get a creepy feeling that they're being followed, ignore it for months, then get attacked and berate the police for not doing a better job.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 23, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

Streaming is just television on the Internet, there's no rule stating it has to be ad-free. Honestly, unless you purchased a cable plan solely for Simpson's World, I'm not sure why you're complaining about a value added feature. If you want an ad-free experience, you can always buy the episodes.

It's not "just television on the internet" more than watching Breaking Bad on netflix is "just television on the internet".

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fateo McMurray posted:

It's not "just television on the internet" more than watching Breaking Bad on netflix is "just television on the internet".

That's exactly what Breaking Bad on Netflix is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Talking Bad was such a bad show

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

That's exactly what Breaking Bad on Netflix is.

So you've proven my point. TV has ads cause it's live. Whether I watch the show or not, I'm still paying for it with my cable subscription. After it's aired, watching it ad free should be a thing I'm able to do as long as I'm still paying for my cable subscription.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^ You totally can watch something ad-free, just pirate it, jiminy cricket.

:stare: I wish I lived in a world where 30-45 second commercial breaks on an $8/month streaming service that has hundreds of shows and films, including shows that get put up the day after they air on broadcast, was actually something that made me upset enough to take a moral stance on.

Maybe I'm old, but goddamn, what's the big deal? And Hulu+ doesn't have ads during most/all of its films anyway!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just because you're willing to be hosed in the rear end doesn't mean the rest of us are

precision posted:

e: ^^^ You totally can watch something ad-free, just pirate it, jiminy cricket.

That's illegal. I want to pay money to not see some actor try to sell me a device to remove wax from my ears.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fateo McMurray posted:

So you've proven my point. TV has ads cause it's live. Whether I watch the show or not, I'm still paying for it with my cable subscription. After it's aired, watching it ad free should be a thing I'm able to do as long as I'm still paying for my cable subscription.

It wasn't ad-free the first time around, why would it be ad-free the second?

Fateo McMurray posted:

I want to pay money to not see some actor try to sell me a device to remove wax from my ears.
They solved this problem already. Buy the show on iTunes/Amazon/DVD

Fateo McMurray posted:

Just because you're willing to be hosed in the rear end doesn't mean the rest of us are

This is a great post/av combo.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

I'm complaining because its the first in what will be the next wave of streaming television services and its the most anti-viewer streaming service I've ever seen. even if my posts here aren't going to have much reach to sway opinions, awful business practices should be complained about and everything done to express displeasure with them so that they get cut off at the knees. If this is what FX is doing, then CBS and whoever else gets into the streaming game is probably going to be even worse, and why would I ever want that to happen as a consumer of streaming services?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
There's also no reason to not expect an ad-free experience from all pay-to-stream services when that's exactly what you get with Netflix/Amazon Prime/HBO Go. Precedent in the market exists on both sides of the coin, and people should be demanding enough to tip the scales in favor of a more viewer-friendly experience.

The Xfinity app is weird about commercials anyway. I'll fire up a sitcom, 22 minutes long, and the first thing that'll play is "3" minutes of the same ad for another show on loop. "3" is in quotes because the screen SAYS 3 minutes remaining, but sometimes it'll start/resume playing the episode itself after only one minute, or two. And sometimes it'll play down to 1 minute remaining and suddenly shoot back up to 3 minutes remaining when the ad cycles again.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pentyne posted:

Enough Simpsons chat, more talk on terrible network shows.

holy poo poo, Stalker was bad before, but they topped themselves this week with a "serial terror stalker" who's just like a serial killer! Some weirdo would basically stalk women then expose them to their greatest fear while taping it.

This show wants so badly to be some extremely compelling police procedural when its all about women who get a creepy feeling that they're being followed, ignore it for months, then get attacked and berate the police for not doing a better job.

Stalker is awesome. It's like a trashy slasher novel from the 80s in classic procedural TV show format, featuring Maggie Q. It's great.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

JohnSherman posted:

Streaming is just television on the Internet, there's no rule stating it has to be ad-free.

There's no rule, but it's the market that the networks are entering by offering streaming services. Whether you think the complaints are fair or not, the reality is that networks are competing with Netflix and piracy, both of which tend to be more convenient and user-friendly then dealing with different networks' websites and repetitive ads that sometimes don't work, get stuck, or play over parts of a show. If they want to stop bleeding ratings and losing more and more customers who are getting increasingly tired of the old TV model and are cutting the cord then maybe their online streaming solution should strive to be a little better then "just television on the Internet".

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Which cable company do you work for/been brainwashed by?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yeah, look, I get annoyed by commercials on Hulu+ and cable streaming services as well, but let's back our poo poo down. 45-60 second ad breaks is not tantamount to the unwanted internal bruising of your colon by a foreign invader. As nice as an ad-free streaming experience would be, FX still has to recoup their investment, and sadly it's not doing that by sticking to television. So suck it up or pay for your ad-free privilege; FX has to make money too.

Now, if the ad breaks maybe feel too long, like 3-6 minutes, that's another story. But given that the app just launched, let's pay a little respect to the realities of app development at this high level -- limited QA, pressure to make deadlines -- and wait to see if it's a bug or a feature.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Simpsons World is apparently even worse than I thought because people eon twitter and reviews in the app store say it can even run a string of commercials mid-punchline or ten seconds into a scene. poo poo like that shouldn't be acceptable from any decent streaming service, and that's not including the ton of other problems it has like playing the actual show while an ad plays over top or the stretched out aspect ratios on all the SD episodes or the fact that it launched with no Chromecast support and not being usable by Verizon and Dish and DirecTV customers. They hosed up very thoroughly.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, look, I get annoyed by commercials on Hulu+ and cable streaming services as well, but let's back our poo poo down. 45-60 second ad breaks is not tantamount to the unwanted internal bruising of your colon by a foreign invader. As nice as an ad-free streaming experience would be, FX still has to recoup their investment, and sadly it's not doing that by sticking to television. So suck it up or pay for your ad-free privilege; FX has to make money too.

Now, if the ad breaks maybe feel too long, like 3-6 minutes, that's another story. But given that the app just launched, let's pay a little respect to the realities of app development at this high level -- limited QA, pressure to make deadlines -- and wait to see if it's a bug or a feature.

The app didn't just launch. They just updated their current app with a link to a website.

If you want to recoup your investment, charge more. Offer $2.99/mo with ads experience or $5.99/mo ad free and I guarantee you people will pay more for ad free.

I wish they had just gone barebones to netflix. Not like the quote search to find an episode is working yet. But I guess they make more money by agreeing to be shown with ads. And if The Simpsons has proven anything, it's that at the end of the day, $$$ comes first. Can't wait for the streaming themed episode

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 23, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xeria posted:

There's also no reason to not expect an ad-free experience from all pay-to-stream services when that's exactly what you get with Netflix/Amazon Prime/HBO Go. Precedent in the market exists on both sides of the coin, and people should be demanding enough to tip the scales in favor of a more viewer-friendly experience.

Sure there is. Netflix and Prime are services you buy separate from cable, getting their shows months after they finish a season. HBO GO isn't ad-supported and never will be. As a cable subscriber you get access to the streams of ad-supported cable networks, and those ad-supported networks still want to make money for the shows they produce, so they run ads. The money you're paying for that login doesn't go directly to the networks you watch, it goes to your provider. Ergo, "I pay money for my cable login" is not the same as "I pay money for Netflix."

It's worth pointing out that Hulu is a different, obnoxious story; owned by the networks, doesn't necessarily require a provider login, STILL runs ads. And most people you talk to who subscribe to Plus, including me, do so out of weary frustration because it's still technically the cheapest legal way to watch certain shows you can't get anywhere else, on your TV as opposed to your computer screen. Frankly, I'm not sure they sustain over the next 15, 20 years (maybe even quicker).

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Anyone who subscribes to hulu+ is a dummy, or doesn't know how/is too old to torrent.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

Sure there is. Netflix and Prime are services you buy separate from cable, getting their shows months after they finish a season. HBO GO isn't ad-supported and never will be. As a cable subscriber you get access to the streams of ad-supported cable networks, and those ad-supported networks still want to make money for the shows they produce, so they run ads. The money you're paying for that login doesn't go directly to the networks you watch, it goes to your provider. Ergo, "I pay money for my cable login" is not the same as "I pay money for Netflix."

It's worth pointing out that Hulu is a different, obnoxious story; owned by the networks, doesn't necessarily require a provider login, STILL runs ads. And most people you talk to who subscribe to Plus, including me, do so out of weary frustration because it's still technically the cheapest legal way to watch certain shows you can't get anywhere else, on your TV as opposed to your computer screen. Frankly, I'm not sure they sustain over the next 15, 20 years (maybe even quicker).

Certainly there's a difference between Hulu (which is obnoxious at best) and "Network-specific streaming service that requires a cable subscription to even use", but I still don't see a point in just throwing your hands up and going "welp" because "that's the way it is". Doubly so when the apps themselves (see - Simpsons thing, my experience in using Comcast's Xfinity app) don't even work well to begin with, ads aside. And triply so for any network-specific service that would charge its own subscription fee separate from a base cable subscription (eg. CBS).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fateo McMurray posted:

Anyone who subscribes to hulu+ is a dummy, or doesn't know how/is too old to torrent.

An episode of a show will take as long to pirate as it would to just sit through 3 30-second commercial breaks.

I mean yo dogg I would even understand if Hulu+ had longer commercial blocks but for all the shows I've watched it's literally like three thirty second ads. Getting mad about 90 seconds of your life being stolen when what you're already doing is watching a television show seems like the most First World Problems thing ever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't play the same drat ad over and over

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't play the same drat ad over and over

Help us improve your ad experience

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As someone without a dog in this fight (I DVR everything I watch) I find this conversation very interesting. I very rarely use on demand from my cable but the ads have never been intrusive there on the rare occasion when I do. Some shows on say Comedy Central show episodes a week early on their app but usually there's only one or two short ads there. I don't subscribe to Hulu or Netflix because I have no need and I've gotten to the point where I rarely use Amazon Prime except for Amazon shows. So it's interesting to hear what these other services are turning into. I feel eventually we will get to a point where for TV content Hulu and Netlix will only be useful for much older shows or shows that are no longer tied to a certain network and the networks will start keeping all their stuff for their own services. Basically you'll have to have all kinds of different services if you want certain content.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

precision posted:

An episode of a show will take as long to pirate as it would to just sit through 3 30-second commercial breaks.

I mean yo dogg I would even understand if Hulu+ had longer commercial blocks but for all the shows I've watched it's literally like three thirty second ads. Getting mad about 90 seconds of your life being stolen when what you're already doing is watching a television show seems like the most First World Problems thing ever.

I love this argument. People in Africa can't even get clean drinking water stop whining about tv.

I will gladly stare at 60 seconds of nothing to not watch a 30sec ad for beezid or waxvac

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fateo McMurray posted:

I love this argument. People in Africa can't even get clean drinking water stop whining about tv.

I will gladly stare at 60 seconds of nothing to not watch a 30sec ad for beezid or waxvac

And that's your right as a pirate and a consumer, my only issue is that you seem to bizarrely think you're taking some kind of moral high road. It's just television, man. Also it's not really helping me sympathize with your points when you directly insult people for the sin of being capable of going to the bathroom or getting a drink or playing with my phone or whatever during a 30 second Hulu ad. Dial it back a little, sparky. Or don't, I guess, and keep sounding like an entitled brat?

e: Let me be clear, I am totally not against :filez: I may or may not torrent TV shows or movies, I really don't think I'm supposed to say in here. That's really not the point.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Deadpool posted:

As someone without a dog in this fight (I DVR everything I watch) I find this conversation very interesting. I very rarely use on demand from my cable but the ads have never been intrusive there on the rare occasion when I do. Some shows on say Comedy Central show episodes a week early on their app but usually there's only one or two short ads there. I don't subscribe to Hulu or Netflix because I have no need and I've gotten to the point where I rarely use Amazon Prime except for Amazon shows. So it's interesting to hear what these other services are turning into. I feel eventually we will get to a point where for TV content Hulu and Netlix will only be useful for much older shows or shows that are no longer tied to a certain network and the networks will start keeping all their stuff for their own services. Basically you'll have to have all kinds of different services if you want certain content.

I think that that is a good portion of why the networks have been hesitant to put things up on services that work great and don't have incredibly intrusive ads, the end game of cutting cable is people having to be more proactive with their media consumption, which just isn't going to happen--"because it's on" has been the reason countless people tuned into the radio or watched something they didn't particularly care about one way or the other on TV, and the average person isn't going to spend the time curating their monthly subscriptions that a cable or satellite provider already does for you, and that more than likely means less money moving around in the industry overall.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Deadpool posted:

the networks will start keeping all their stuff for their own services. Basically you'll have to have all kinds of different services if you want certain content.

and its going to suck so bad when it happens. I don't mind one 30 second ad per thing I watch, but just by making the concession of being okay with that, CBS and whoever else are going to try to push it farther and see what the max amount of commercials is that they can shove down my throat before I choke. Unless consumers push back aggressively, commercials on the upcoming one network streaming services are going to get brutal.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

precision posted:

I may or may not torrent TV shows or movies, I really don't think I'm supposed to say in here.

On an unrelated note to Simpsons-chat, this has always struck me as one of the weirder things about SA. Is there any major reason why admitting to pirating stuff gets you probated/banned, or is it just because gently caress pirates?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know how other mods do it but I don't care if you admit it or not as long as you don't post links or instructions on how to get stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SALT CURES HAM posted:

On an unrelated note to Simpsons-chat, this has always struck me as one of the weirder things about SA. Is there any major reason why admitting to pirating stuff gets you probated/banned, or is it just because gently caress pirates?

As said above you only get in trouble if you ask for filez or provide links or instructions on how to get them. I always figured it was just because Lowtax didn't want any legal hassle over it, which is understandable.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

Which cable company do you work for/been brainwashed by?

Haven't read this argument in a while. Maybe he's getting paid by Big Cable to sway your opinion on The Official Simpsons on FX App. Or maybe some people have different opinions.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Deadpool posted:

I don't know how other mods do it but I don't care if you admit it or not as long as you don't post links or instructions on how to get stuff.

Guys.

Guys!

All this TV that I talk about that comes from America which takes months to come out in the UK? I pirate it.

Whew, so glad I got that off my chest!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Guys.

Guys!

All this TV that I talk about that comes from America which takes months to come out in the UK? I pirate it.

Well there's no need to be an exhibitionist about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

Guys.

Guys!

Well, since we're all coming out of the closet here, I don't have a tv, so...

• Locked thread