Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Latour's Wolverine & The X-Men got off to a really shaky start, but I liked issue 9 and then this week's was great. I didn't bother reading Death of Wolverine itself but seeing all the characters at the school reacting to his death in a bunch of art styles was nice and I thought it worked well. And 9, for anyone who dropped the book because of the nonsense future poo poo, was just a solid issue with Wolvie going to visit Quire, and Quire loving with him - I like QQ a lot so that probably factors into why I liked the ish, but I'd say those two issues are worth a look even if you've been "meh" on Latour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I really liked what Cornell was going for with his Wolverine run, honestly; I thought the themes he was playing with, even some of the character beats like Wolverine being nervous about shaving, were fantastic. But the stories themselves just didn't... ever seem to click. The characters he introduced with the renumbered relaunch never felt like more than cardboard cutouts to me, which didn't help.

I mean, I get that I'm in the minority by actually enjoying Cornell's Wolverine for the most part, but it just... never seemed to really hang together the way I was hoping it might. I think he's just plain better at writing more optimistic characters, honestly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I really liked what Cornell was going for with his Wolverine run, honestly; I thought the themes he was playing with, even some of the character beats like Wolverine being nervous about shaving, were fantastic. But the stories themselves just didn't... ever seem to click. The characters he introduced with the renumbered relaunch never felt like more than cardboard cutouts to me, which didn't help.

I mean, I get that I'm in the minority by actually enjoying Cornell's Wolverine for the most part, but it just... never seemed to really hang together the way I was hoping it might. I think he's just plain better at writing more optimistic characters, honestly.

Yeah it was just boring which is not what I expected a Cornell Wolverine book to be. We got no batshit insanity like Dracula shooting Vampires out of cannons on the moon,instead we got nanotech that stopped his healing factor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wasnt the nanotech actually tiny spaceships from the microverse, or am I misremembering?

Also good job freezing Wolverine in carboniteadamantium, he should be quite safe in there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Wasnt the nanotech actually tiny spaceships from the microverse, or am I misremembering?

Also good job freezing Wolverine in carboniteadamantium, he should be quite safe in there.

It was something stupid like that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Even stupider, it was a sentient virus. SHIELD recruited Z-list villain The Host to shut it down and prevent all of humanity from being taken over by it.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
In which issue do people react to the Wolverine statue?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

In which issue do people react to the Wolverine statue?

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Fantastic.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fryclops was right.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If it taaaakes forever, I will wait for you, bub.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Seriously, when do we see Scott and the other Jean Grey school chums react to Logans death? I figure it would be soon, but the Xmen plotline seems to be still on the Original Sin one.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

twistedmentat posted:

Seriously, when do we see Scott and the other Jean Grey school chums react to Logans death? I figure it would be soon, but the Xmen plotline seems to be still on the Original Sin one.

It's an event Bendis didn't write so don't expect him to give a poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
At the rate Bendis writes, about two months before Logan comes back heyooooo I'll be here all week tip your waitresses

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TwoPair posted:

At the rate Bendis writes, about two months before Logan comes back heyooooo I'll be here all week tip your waitresses

So, next month?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
This new X-Force, god drat. I even felt bad for Fantomex as he was having the mother of all murderous meltdowns. It was just so loving cold. Man. And the payoff on the Domino thing. This is a great loving book more people should be reading.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Logan Legacy #2 was weird, from the incredibly obscure characters used to Seely using X-23's old characterization (not that I'm complaining about that last one).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Blockhouse posted:

Logan Legacy #2 was weird, from the incredibly obscure characters used to Seely using X-23's old characterization (not that I'm complaining about that last one).

That actually was the most reasonable part of the issue for me, Laura's characterization; it makes sense that, in trying to deal with Logan's death, she'd revert back to the persona she had before she met the guy - and then realize that, no, that doesn't work out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ElNarez posted:

This new X-Force, god drat. I even felt bad for Fantomex as he was having the mother of all murderous meltdowns. It was just so loving cold. Man. And the payoff on the Domino thing. This is a great loving book more people should be reading.

I was mad at myself for that reveal. I even thought to myself, "Who has luck based powers? Longshot? Nah, he wouldn't be here. Scarlet Witch? Probably not...".

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

So when is the event where the X-men have to gather some magic orbs to get Fin Fang Foom to bring Logan back

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Lord of Pie posted:

So when is the event where the X-men have to gather some magic orbs to get Fin Fang Foom to bring Logan back

I'd read that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I recall most people hating Amazing, but 11 has lots of my favorite stuff. I like the team lineup and Alpha Flight and Windigo. I thought Puck was dead but whatever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Amazing has consistent Rockslide in it thus making it the best X-book.

Also like all of Alpha Flight was dead but they came back at the end of Chaos War.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yost and Kyle are pretty good writers and they were responsible for Rockslide in the first place, so Amazing has been pretty good since they took over.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Yost and Kyle are pretty good writers and they were responsible for Rockslide in the first place, so Amazing has been pretty good since they took over.

I have enjoyed Amazing more then the other two big X titles since the beginning of its run. The only bad issue has been 7.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I started listening to the first couple episodes of Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men. Does it ever get...not so stilted and scripted? It sounds like just two people reading a Wikipedia entry with lame rehearsed "jokes" inserted and not an actual discussion.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Brocktoon posted:

I started listening to the first couple episodes of Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men. Does it ever get...not so stilted and scripted? It sounds like just two people reading a Wikipedia entry with lame rehearsed "jokes" inserted and not an actual discussion.

I'm not sure where this style of reporting started, probably Entertainment Tonight or E! or maybe kind of like Talk Soup, Anyway it's really loving annoying, stupid and I wish they'd just cut out that canned phony garbage and just talk like a normal person and report the news.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They actually answered that in a Q&A episode and said while the intros are obviously heavily scripted, and they do have notes and bulletpoints, the actual discussion is off-the-cuff, albeit edited when they get to rambling.

I never got the sense that the body of episodes were rehearsed, as much as well... it's a married couple who have known each other since they were kids. They know each other really well, so that might be why their in-jokes seem 'scripted'?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I generally haven't liked Latour's WatXM but the sequence in today's issue, with Storm and Wolverine in Japan may be one of my favorite comics sequences ever. I really dig that art style.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Codependent Poster posted:

to be fair(ish) whatshername and that one guy created Rockslide but Kyle/Yost elevated him to a level beyond "Hellion's flunky"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dreqqus posted:

I generally haven't liked Latour's WatXM but the sequence in today's issue, with Storm and Wolverine in Japan may be one of my favorite comics sequences ever. I really dig that art style.

Also the credit at the beginning. X-men created by Stan Lee and JACK KIRBY

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I started listening to Rachael and Miles Xplaine the Xmen, and yea, Professer X is a jerk.

And Gambit is super mega creepy.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Brocktoon posted:

It gets better when they have a guest, like the Chris Sims, Greg Rucka and NYCC episodes. The normal episodes are as stilted as always. I wouldn't mind the "reading Wikipedia" narration (since some history podcast use that same style), but the lame jokes and dumb voices are the thing that make me groan and enjoy this podcast less.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Yeah, I think I'm done with Rachel and Miles. The Greg Rucka episode was an improvement, but it's just not entertaining, and seems redundant when I'm already reading through the X-Books (I'm up to Secret Wars).

And if I have to hear Rachel call someone's art "superlative" one more time, my head is going to explode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

Yeah, I think I'm done with Rachel and Miles. The Greg Rucka episode was an improvement, but it's just not entertaining, and seems redundant when I'm already reading through the X-Books (I'm up to Secret Wars).

And if I have to hear Rachel call someone's art "superlative" one more time, my head is going to explode.

I still like them, but 'delightful' is the adjective that bugs me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy the podcast but there's one thing that I do have a hard time with (or at least that I foresee having a hard time with the further along they get) about their podcast, and it's that I think they sometimes come across as inordinately in awe of Claremont.

I appreciate that they're still in the part of his run that's actually good, and that these are obviously formative comics for them, but I feel like, however many years down the line, they're going to defend really naff stuff he did like X-Treme X-Men or his Excalibur issues without Alan Davis.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They already pointed out his weird fetish stuff, so they don't portray him as a saint.

Anyways, maybe because I've listened to a ton of podcasts, but their banter is pretty much what I've come to expect from podcasts. Some stuff does get over used but do people get pissed off when someone on How did this get made says "BONKERS"? Nope.

I love how they hate Wolverine, but are not afraid to point out he is everywhere because in the early years he was a really interesting character that evolved beyond gruff loner.

I'm looking forward to them talking about the Rogue/Ms Marvel stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was going to start listening but how often is the Wolverine bagging? If I want to hear people complaining about him I'll just. Y'know. Look at a message board.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So when's the funeral with the awkwardly shaped ridiculously heavy coffin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Better be a sweet funeral cover.

• Locked thread