Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope he has Wolverine on display.

And uses the frozen open mouth as a beer opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

PelvicNerve posted:

The Reed/Susan bits made me happy as honestly, Susan's behavior was the part that hit the hardest for me so far.

I found the initial reaction of the previous issues with Sue to be more believable honestly. Reed is always pulling this poo poo and she's been rightly seemingly justified in wanting to find him and bring him in. If it gets hand waved with an unseen panel or two of Reed telling Sue everything that was happening during the initial NA run then I feel like it's a cop out. And it also feels more and more like its sticking Steve in that super stubborn role he gets chucked into for events like these. More so now because he's a kinda jacked old man.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I believe Sue would go just as far as Reed to protect their children.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

I believe Sue would go just as far as Reed to protect their children.

Yeah this kinda threat is the poo poo Susan and the F4/FF deal with every other month. She has told mad celestials to go to hell and protected Reed. I imagine she was mad realizing she was out of the loop again but like she said, that's basically what Reed always does.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Jiro posted:

I found the initial reaction of the previous issues with Sue to be more believable honestly. Reed is always pulling this poo poo and she's been rightly seemingly justified in wanting to find him and bring him in. If it gets hand waved with an unseen panel or two of Reed telling Sue everything that was happening during the initial NA run then I feel like it's a cop out. And it also feels more and more like its sticking Steve in that super stubborn role he gets chucked into for events like these. More so now because he's a kinda jacked old man.

That's boring and predictable though, if there's one thing more overused then Cap being stubborn it's the Fantastic Four splitting up. Like you said he does this all the time and it works out all the time her trust isn't misplaced.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Thought on Val's message at the end of the issue? My initial idea was that it was something like don't worry about destroying the other worlds, just make it so Earth will dodge all future incursions while the rest of the universes destroy each other.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GraPar posted:

Thought on Val's message at the end of the issue? My initial idea was that it was something like don't worry about destroying the other worlds, just make it so Earth will dodge all future incursions while the rest of the universes destroy each other.

I don't think Val would be so short-sighted. I bet it's something more pessimistic like "it's ok to let it all end, time to figure out how to make it through that". Kinda like Galactus. Universes die and start again. Galen made it through. Why not let incursions run their course and have the multi-verse restart?

ShiftyEyedRaccoon
Jun 4, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Hickman is making me question if the Crisis callers are right and I'm pretty sure he trying to. The 616 destroyed? Never going to happen but the threat of a reboot? That's a possibility. A consolidation of universes with the 616 as the lifeboat of the multiuniverse, that's the real threat in a very meta way.

This makes me wonder about something. Apparently we've (somehow) gone from an infinite number of universes to a finite number. What happens when/if 616 is the only one left? There'd be no more Earths to collide with that one.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just remember Val saying she's smarter than her dad and if she says we're all hosed, I don't know if Thor and Hyperion punching the incursions in the face are going to help nor will anyone else's plan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just remember Val saying she's smarter than her dad and if she says we're all hosed, I don't know if Thor and Hyperion punching the incursions in the face are going to help nor will anyone else's plan.

I see people continuing to not take into account the beard factor in this equation.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

ShiftyEyedRaccoon posted:

This makes me wonder about something. Apparently we've (somehow) gone from an infinite number of universes to a finite number. What happens when/if 616 is the only one left? There'd be no more Earths to collide with that one.

The big reveal was that the universe itself is dying. The incursions are just speeding up the deaths of other universes. Even if all the other universe were destroyed 616 would still die out just not from inclusions.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know if Thor and Hyperion punching the incursions in the face are going to help nor will anyone else's plan.

It's a comic, face punching is the only answer. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't think Val would be so short-sighted. I bet it's something more pessimistic like "it's ok to let it all end, time to figure out how to make it through that". Kinda like Galactus. Universes die and start again. Galen made it through. Why not let incursions run their course and have the multi-verse restart?

I am pretty sure its like in chess, Reed can not win but the key is finding a way to make it a draw.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hope and vaseline posted:

I love the mention of the FF kids working on the problem. I fell off the FF run around the time that Allred took up wrapping up Fraction's run, have they been featured in anything recently?

They are still in Fantastic Four, but mainly in the background, since they have been put in "protective custody" by SHIELD. I do like the interactions with Jim Hammond, who is the best thing from Robinson's average Invaders/Fantastic Four.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Sue being a double agent seemed too predictable. I kinda want to see her turn out to be a triple agent.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GraPar posted:

"Dear Dad, stay the hell out of Uncle Doom's way and everything'll be just fine."

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Really good issue this week. At least one mcguffin is off the table as a solution. Reed seems to have asked Franklin to stop an incursion, and Franklin failed.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
^ The Franklin thing was awesome. They've done a good job dismissing all the obvious "deus ex machinas" (rogue planet, moving population off-planet).

quote:

Also, I guess there's a new mutant status quo 8 months from now. I approve that Scott is (or could be) their apparent leader, just to piss Cap.

They've pretty much made up and hanging out again at the end of Axis #3.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Web Jew.0 posted:

They've pretty much made up and hanging out again at the end of Axis #3.

Considering that "people acting oddly out of character" is kind of a main plot point of SIXIS, I wouldn't put much stock in that.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I really wish we could have seen old man Cap try and beat down Terrax with just his cane.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Very excited that Dr. Voodoo is coming back, I know Remender has been trying to bring him back for awhile now but couldn't cus Bendis killed him.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Considering that "people acting oddly out of character" is kind of a main plot point of SIXIS, I wouldn't put much stock in that.

They were pretty chummy even before the inversion though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"Dear Dad, stay the hell out of Uncle Doom's way and everything'll be just fine."

I think that was the point of the letter.

The letter says "Dear Dad, You can't win"
I think the point is that Reed and the Illuminati can't solve this problem, not that there is no solution.

Like all of Reed's gizmo's would just fail.
But Dr. Doom's plan of getting the Molecule Man and the Beyonder to do the Fusion Dance before blasting the Super Big Bad in the face will save everyone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just to double check, there hasn't been any follow up whatsoever on The Watcher showing Tony Stark a dead Living Tribunal, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Just to double check, there hasn't been any follow up whatsoever on The Watcher showing Tony Stark a dead Living Tribunal, right?

Negative.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DrPaper posted:

Very excited that Dr. Voodoo is coming back, I know Remender has been trying to bring him back for awhile now but couldn't cus Bendis killed him.

Okay between Havok's speech and wanting to bring back Brother Voodoo I am comfortable calling Remender a racist that thinks he's progressive.

"No see he's got a giant tiki mask, a grassskirt and a magic spear because it's his culture, he's reclaiming it go drown in hobo piss!"

radlum
May 13, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

Okay between Havok's speech and wanting to bring back Brother Voodoo I am comfortable calling Remender a racist that thinks he's progressive.

"No see he's got a giant tiki mask, a grassskirt and a magic spear because it's his culture, he's reclaiming it go drown in hobo piss!"

I hate to admit it, but I kind of like the idea of Brother Voodoo (or a Voodoo based character). I wish it wasn't such a problematic concept.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

radlum posted:

I hate to admit it, but I kind of like the idea of Brother Voodoo (or a Voodoo based character). I wish it wasn't such a problematic concept.

They will bring him back as a stereotypical pimp.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

They will bring him back as a stereotypical pimp.

Okay, how about making him Sorceror Supreme and calling him Doctor Voodoo rather than Brother Voodoo?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What about Falcon? Is this comic going to have two pimps?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone interested in a voodoo superhero should read look up Shadowman.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Okay, how about making him Sorceror Supreme and calling him Doctor Voodoo rather than Brother Voodoo?

I never understood that name change. Doctor Strange was called that because he's an actual Doctor. It's not like becoming Sorcerer Supreme comes with an honorary doctorate.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dacap posted:

I never understood that name change. Doctor Strange was called that because he's an actual Doctor. It's not like becoming Sorcerer Supreme comes with an honorary doctorate.

They thought making him a Doctor would help distance the character from it's incredibly stupid roots apparently unaware it would make his name Doctor Voodoo.

"He's old-ish and therefore worth revamping and keeping around", said stupid people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well the in-comic explanation was that he was, you know, a doctor. With a practice and everything.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SirDan3k posted:

With Avenger's Manifold Hickman shows that you can do the whole heritage-thing without resorting into cringeworthy well-meaning racism (let alone the other kind). I'd wait and see how it turns out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Maybe it should. I mean, you gotta study those ancient tomes like craaaazy. "I'm Doctor Stephen Strange, MD, with a PhD in wizardry"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Decius posted:

With Avenger's Manifold Hickman shows that you can do the whole heritage-thing without resorting into cringeworthy well-meaning racism (let alone the other kind). I'd wait and see how it turns out.

Manifold is the result of writers realizing that Gateway was a lost cause though, Brother Voodoo for some reason people think they can save.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't get his loving costume. The Baron Samedi top-hat-and-no-shoes thing seems like what you'd take if you went the obvious route.

Also I think he has a Ph.D. in psychiatry?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think Brother Voodoo is fine if you just use the outfit he wore as Sorcerer Supreme/ the outfit they use for him in Avenger's Alliance.

http://avengersalliance.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Voodoo

Just change some of the colours, make it look distinctive enough so it doesn't look like he has Dr. Strange's mantle and he's good to go.

Like when you break it down he's got a lot of great story hooks (he's a magic user and a doctor. He's tied in with Voodun lore and regularly communicates and deals with spirits and possessions. He has a cool rear end magic stick to smash demons over the head with. Plus he has his Ghost Brother as a backup character to provide a different outlook and things. How does it feel to be a hero when you are literally haunted by your brother?)

I think he's a great character with a lot of potential and could really work if Marvel distinguished him from other spell casters. Particularly if you want to do some magic based stories, but don't want to trot out Dr. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward with regard to the incursions, I am calling it now that things will eventually come down to 616 and one other universe (but which one?! Ultimate is my early guess.) since the seed has already been...seeded that we're actually down to a finite number of universes. Something is going to happen to (dammit) reseed the multiverse and this is where Secret Wars kicks in.

• Locked thread