Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I rewatched Battle of Gods last night...I'm continued to be impressed by the voice work of Beerus. What a perfect blend of posh and malevolent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Reinanigans posted:

So what's the best/cheapest way to own all of the Dragon Ball manga? Amazon has a ton of options.

There's individual volumes, 3-in-1 editions, VizBIG editions and the colored editions.

The colored ones look amazing, but only start with Raditz, and seems to stop at Cell. Also, they seem pricey.

I'm thinking of asking for these for Christmas, but I'd like the price to be reasonable.

edit: Does Viz have the whole series on their online reader or something?

Double edit: All these releases seem to be censored? That sucks.

My friend has been buying up the colored version of Dragonball starting from #1. Then again, he's buying it somewhere locally in Spanish. So there should be DB Colored somewhere out there.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
As far as I know, Viz never did a re-translation of the manga, so you still have weird stylistic choices like Piccolo speaking notably regally for a volume or two, and I think some names might change from volume to volume as well.

The only censorship I'm aware of are edits for nudity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So does Battle of Z seriously not just have a versus mode of some kind where I can just set up a battle of a character of my choice against a CPU enemy? Is it all pre-selected character mission modes?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

So does Battle of Z seriously not just have a versus mode of some kind where I can just set up a battle of a character of my choice against a CPU enemy? Is it all pre-selected character mission modes?

I might be mis-remembering this, but you unlock it after the tutorial, I think?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mordaedil posted:

I might be mis-remembering this, but you unlock it after the tutorial, I think?

Did all the tutorial stuff; I can battle online, but there's no offline modes other than missions. Googleing a bit corroborates...I really wasted my $20

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Well im glad DBM didn't leave that point ambiguous. DK Piccolo is getting more interesting.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

jivjov posted:

So I rewatched Battle of Gods last night...I'm continued to be impressed by the voice work of Beerus. What a perfect blend of posh and malevolent.

Seriously. Can't wait to see what they do with the 2015 movie, whatever that ends up being about.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Thyrork posted:

Well im glad DBM didn't leave that point ambiguous. DK Piccolo is getting more interesting.

Yeah I wanted to comment on this too. I still don't see Gast losing though.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

jivjov posted:

It's really good, yeah, but I have to say that the big Goku v. Beerus battle left me underwhelmed. The visual style is so different from the original anime that it's jarring and feels like I'm watching a video game instead of DBZ. It's cool in its own way, I just have trouble getting into it because I find the difference so distracting.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

surf rock posted:

It's really good, yeah, but I have to say that the big Goku v. Beerus battle left me underwhelmed. The visual style is so different from the original anime that it's jarring and feels like I'm watching a video game instead of DBZ. It's cool in its own way, I just have trouble getting into it because I find the difference so distracting.

Pretty much everyone I've heard feels the same way, so maybe they'll address that complaint in the next one.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
It's better animated than whatever concentration camp produced the original animations for Z.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

dogs named Charlie posted:

It's better animated than whatever concentration camp produced the original animations for Z.

Some of the episodes are actually remarkably well animated for a TV show at the time. Others... not so much.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-styles/ this goes over the various animation teams they had on Dragonball and DBZ, you can really see the shift in quality between the various teams.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Masunaga's team in particular is my absolute favorite. It deviates heavily from Toriyama's style but is just so beautifully animated.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Some of the episodes are actually remarkably well animated for a TV show at the time. Others... not so much.

They had a good chance to start over with Kai, but decided to just clean up the originals and cut the filler, but still had loving Gregory in it.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Annnddd I just discovered that DBM got Latin as a language option. So far only 95 pages but still. Latin.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Supeerme posted:

Annnddd I just discovered that DBM got Latin as a language option. So far only 95 pages but still. Latin.

Honestly, the amount of translations is a testament to the series, that the fandom is still going strong after 20+ years. I mean, everybody, rightfully, nags about the story and the repetitive fights, but there still is something very endearing about it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Supeerme posted:

Hoc est a gradu ultra Super Saiyan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Supeerme posted:

Call me when there's an Al Bhed translation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bufan majamc yna pimmcred!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well, the new page of DBM took it in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

facebook jihad posted:

Well, the new page of DBM took it in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Certainly looks like Gast is about to win handily.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Certainly looks like Gast is about to win handily.

Too handily... Nothing is that easy in DBZ.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
King Piccolo tears off his ears and declares "This is how I defeated Kami!" He begins to whistle and Gast, with hearing one million times greater than the average Namekian, is utterly incapacitated.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 25, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
That would be the best victory. :allears:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

King Piccolo tears off his ears and declares "This is how I defeated Kami!" He begins to whistle and Gast, with hearing one million times greater than the average Namekian, is utterly incapacitated.

Which Malaysian dub video is the one from Lord Slug where King Kai says something to the effect of "Yes! Black people hate whistling!"?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

StrifeHira posted:

That would be the best victory. :allears:

Agreed. Speaking of, did Goku ever know about that particular weakness of Namekians? Because it could've really helped him a few times as a kid.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

VanSandman posted:

Agreed. Speaking of, did Goku ever know about that particular weakness of Namekians? Because it could've really helped him a few times as a kid.

No, it was just from that stupid movie, that was the only time it came up.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

facebook jihad posted:

No, it was just from that stupid movie, that was the only time it came up.

Considering Piccolo could hear Trunks and Goku's conversation from like 200 yards away it's not like it's an unrealistic weakness to have.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Szmitten posted:

Which Malaysian dub video is the one from Lord Slug where King Kai says something to the effect of "Yes! Black people hate whistling!"?

http://youtu.be/Upy2SEnP9MU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Yesss, loving giant hovering racist nonsensical King Kai out of nowhere.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Holy poo poo, the whistling thing is canon to the movie? I thought it was so dumb that TFS must've made it up as a joke.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Brony Hunter posted:

Holy poo poo, the whistling thing is canon to the movie? I thought it was so dumb that TFS must've made it up as a joke.

Why did you think Piccolo tore his ears off?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Brony Hunter posted:

Turns out anime filler writers are loving morons, who knew?!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Out of curiosity, how is the Infinite World game for the PS2? I was just looking up to see what games Pan was playable in since I thougth she was only in the BT games. But IW, from the video I saw on YouTube, looks more like the regular Budokai games from what I played of them years and years ago

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WickedHate posted:

Why did you think Piccolo tore his ears off?

That was so badass. I was like "hell yeah".

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, how is the Infinite World game for the PS2? I was just looking up to see what games Pan was playable in since I thougth she was only in the BT games. But IW, from the video I saw on YouTube, looks more like the regular Budokai games from what I played of them years and years ago

Infinite World is basically the lovechild of Budokai 3 and Burst Limit, with a much higher base AI difficulty level (possibly accidentally so?). It's... decent enough and fun if you like the Budokai series, but kinda also clearly a budget title. Story mode is, well... it will give you Superman 64 flashbacks at times. Yeah. Decent combat, and you can probably still get it for cheap.

Attacks still look pretty good for PS2-era graphics, and combos are pretty fluid from what I can recall. Also movesets are more customizable than before, so you don't have to chuck the Breakthrough capsules on the multi-transformation characters like Goku.

Oh, also a number of new attacks look pretty cool. GT Goku, for example, actually gets young Goku's finisher from the last Dragon Ball movie, Path to Power, for his non-SS4 Ultimate.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 25, 2014

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes, it's essentially the fourth Budokai game. It's automatically better than 3 just because they got rid of that dragon rush crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hm, sounds good then. Thanks for the responses.

It does seem a lot cheaper than BT3 though which is a good incentive for me to buy it.

• Locked thread