Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Even the most serious bits have stuff like Pip being a massive goonlord regarding Seras, Integra making Anderson's cronies light her cigar despite ostensibly being their prisoner, and Schrödinger appearing out of nowhere in Seras' mind to cheerily tell Zorin she hosed up. Ultimate is actually the sillier of the two by a wide margin.

e: actually, you can pretty much count the times it goes full grimdark on one hand. The only things coming to mind are Alucard killing Rip in that super creepy, rapey way and Zorin making Seras relive her parents getting brutally murdered. Every other major story beat I can think of is at least mildly silly.

On further thought, yeah you're right. I guess I just never considered them to be "wacky comedy bits" since they're only as wacky as the general insane and crazy tone of most of the show. I can't believe I forgot about Integra getting her enemies to light her cigar though, that was freaking great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hellsing TV was botched. It focused way too much on Seras before remembering "oh poo poo we still have like half the loving manga left!" I love its OP to loving bits, but it was a mediocre show and a poo poo adaptation. Oh well, Gonzo clause and so on.

Hellsing Ultimate is SO MUCH BETTER. Like if you at all enjoyed the TV show, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The best part of the original Hellsing anime was the music. That soundtrack ruled. :allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

EP 3 of Gundam Build Fighters Try had a really good 3v3 match with some pretty cool animation. It has me totally psyched about what they are going to do with the format. It also has a great cast of protagonists and supporting characters that just plain fun interactions.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

One of my favorite parts of Hellsing Ultimate is just how god drat happy these dudes are to get the chance to try to murder each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgCLouENn-A

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

SSNeoman posted:

Hellsing TV was botched. It focused way too much on Seras before remembering "oh poo poo we still have like half the loving manga left!" I love its OP to loving bits, but it was a mediocre show and a poo poo adaptation. Oh well, Gonzo clause and so on.

Hellsing TV had already finished airing months before volume 5 [of an eventual 10] of the manga was released, so there wasn't really much Gonzo could do at that point other than throw together some half-hearted ending.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Made an Inou Battle thread

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SSNeoman posted:

On the other hand Seras is the only person in any version of Hellsing who undergoes character development, so really it's just making the best of a hot mess.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deep, meaningful character development is not the reason why anyone would want to watch Hellsing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

Deep, meaningful character development is not the reason why anyone would want to watch Hellsing

Which would be fine if it were any good at style, either.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't really understand what could be so wrong with a person as to make them not like Hellsing but :shrug:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I basically see Hellsing as the same thing as Black Lagoon, except with more Nazis and vampires, and less of everything that makes Black Lagoon good.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
You might also enjoy Hellsing Abridged, which is one of the best of the abridged genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgnIjJexut4

It's about as crude and offensive as the source material, but it's a lot faster and funnier.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Which would be fine if it were any good at style, either.

I guess this is where we disagree because I think Hellsing is stylish as hell.
The characters are all super cool, even the muggles without super powers. The dialogue is sharp and snappy (Integra verbally kicking everyone's rear end, the Major's war speech, Alucard being thrilled at humans and murder, etc). The anime uses dark colours, but manages to be really colourful and does an amazing job with contrast. The fight scenes are cool and brutal (although kinda short). And it's my gold-standard for stories with a Mary Sue protagonist.

It's like if Tarantino did anime Dracula murders Nazis.

VV Don't forget glasses that are shiny as gently caress! :v:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 23, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They have awesome as hell toothy grins and there's blood everywhere

I dunno what else you need to be stylish really

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Steins;Gate IMB commercial slice of life thingy #2 now with English subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJSwHry6n2o
I love these characters, so even seeing them in an ad is pretty fun. Gimme a new series of silly science lab shorts, damnit.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Redcrimson posted:

I basically see Hellsing as the same thing as Black Lagoon, except with more Nazis and vampires, and less of everything that makes Black Lagoon good.

I was kind of expecting more character development with Black Lagoon. It culminated in the protag's face-off with the girl and simply ended there. If it had less action and more character development it could have been great, I think. As it is, I don't think it's that impressive or new to someone who has already seen their share of action flicks. I guess it was pretty innovative back in 2008? I sure wasn't very impressed with it in 2014 (still - a decent way to pass time).

Could never get into Hellsing. It's hard for me to enjoy gratuitous killing these days, I guess.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Kubla Khan posted:

I was kind of expecting more character development with Black Lagoon. It culminated in the protag's face-off with the girl and simply ended there.

Black Lagoon isn't so much about character development(though Revy and Rock certainly get plenty, IMO) as it just using established characters for variations on a central theme. Black Lagoon's worldview(that only the cruel and merciless can survive in a cruel and merciless world) is the centerpiece of the whole show. Also, did you watch the Roberta's Blood Trail OVAs?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hellsing was the kind of thing that seemed just supremely cool when you were like 15

e: this may apply to all anime

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

Steins;Gate IMB commercial slice of life thingy #2 now with English subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJSwHry6n2o
I love these characters, so even seeing them in an ad is pretty fun. Gimme a new series of silly science lab shorts, damnit.
Yessss, I'm absolutely loving these. Need more..

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Even the most serious bits have stuff like Pip being a massive goonlord regarding Seras, Integra making Anderson's cronies light her cigar despite ostensibly being their prisoner, and Schrödinger appearing out of nowhere in Seras' mind to cheerily tell Zorin she hosed up. Ultimate is actually the sillier of the two by a wide margin.

e: actually, you can pretty much count the times it goes full grimdark on one hand. The only things coming to mind are Alucard killing Rip in that super creepy, rapey way and Zorin making Seras relive her parents getting brutally murdered. Every other major story beat I can think of is at least mildly silly.

Seras' anti-tank rifle "Harkonnen" is inhabited by the spirit of Baron Harkonnen of David Lynch's Dune movie. I really don't think you're supposed to take any of the show seriously.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Zorak posted:

Hellsing was the kind of thing that seemed just supremely cool when you were like 15

e: this may apply to all anime

One of the few things 15 year old me got right it seems!

Anyway, back to this season, what're people's recommendations for comedies? Besides Twintail.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Amagi Brilliant Park is pretty funny. I think.

Shirobako too, though that's more like in-jokey nudge nudge wink wink humour.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Zorak posted:

I will admit that nostalgia from being like 12 and discovering anime is probably a pretty large chunk of why I still dig Hellsing. That said, for how dumb it is, it's impressively entertaining, and the voice acting (at least in English) elevates the material quite a bit.

Also, my phone tried to autocorrect "chunk" to "chuuni" for some reason.

e: also, Parasyte still owns, in case anyone was somehow on the fence. It's basically a more grounded take on Devilman's concept, with a bit of JoJo tossed in for good measure.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 23, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Akatsuki no Yona is basically Cross Ange but actually interesting and filled with subtle character interactions and not loving retarded.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I will admit that nostalgia from being like 12 and discovering anime is probably a pretty large chunk of why I still dig Hellsing. That said, for how dumb it is, it's impressively entertaining, and the voice acting (at least in English) elevates the material quite a bit.

Also, my phone tried to autocorrect "chunk" to "chuuni" for some reason.

e: also, Parasyte still owns, in case anyone was somehow on the fence. It's basically a more grounded take on Devilman's concept, with a bit of JoJo tossed in for good measure.
Could probably blame the discussion on the origin of the word 'chuuni' everyone was having the other day.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Akatsuki no Yona is basically Cross Ange but actually interesting and filled with subtle character interactions and not loving retarded.

also dreamy anime studs

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

So, uh, what's left, then?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

So, uh, what's left, then?

D.R.A.G.O.N.S. obviously

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

The only thing good about Cross Ange is how bad it is. If you took that away, you would literally have Mahouka with a female protag.

Shukaro posted:

D.R.A.G.O.N.S. obviously

Sad to say they're more of a plot device than a threat. Their animation is fuckawful to boot.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

The only thing good about Cross Ange is how bad it is. If you took that away, you would literally have Mahouka with a female protag.
Don't you dare compare Mahouka to that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

KaneTW posted:

Don't you dare compare Mahouka to that.

Yeah I think 'how much rape is there' is a pretty objective measure of bad-ness, regardless of any other factors

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah I think 'how much rape is there' is a pretty objective measure of bad-ness, regardless of any other factors

Shakespeare: objectively bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

icantfindaname posted:

Someone's never read Berserk.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Phobophilia posted:

So nothing like it okay thanks for the update.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Isn't cross ange just a cynical piece of garbage that does things purely to shock and titillate its subhuman target audience (I haven't actually watched it)? I don't see how you can compare that to mahouka, which is an earnest attempt at great literature by a talentless hack who is sexually aroused by oligarchies. It is like comparing a pile of poo poo to an incredibly realistic, painstakingly carved statue of a pile of poo poo. Neither is very appealing to have around, but at least one required some effort to produce.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I thought we agreed to not mention Cross Ange anymore. Watch Shirobako instead.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Shakespeare: objectively bad.

agreed

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Isn't cross ange just a cynical piece of garbage that does things purely to shock and titillate its subhuman target audience (I haven't actually watched it)? I don't see how you can compare that to mahouka, which is an earnest attempt at great literature by a talentless hack who is sexually aroused by oligarchies. It is like comparing a pile of poo poo to an incredibly realistic, painstakingly carved statue of a pile of poo poo. Neither is very appealing to have around, but at least one required some effort to produce.

Both have the main character with Randian as gently caress ideas. Every side character worships the ground said character walks on (Ange lost the motorcycle lacrosse and yet the other team gushed about her anyway) and the character uses their status and power to put others down. The difference is that Angey loses her status and power while THE SAVIOR OF NIPPON does not. Both shows are poo poo, on this we agree on.
Oh, and they both get superpowers due to asspull backstories, but I'm reaching with that one.

nuru posted:

I thought we agreed to not mention Cross Ange anymore. Watch Shirobako instead.

And Chaika. S2 is still kicking serious rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Isn't cross ange just a cynical piece of garbage that does things purely to shock and titillate its subhuman target audience (I haven't actually watched it)?

Given that this is Sunrise, there's a very good chance that the people behind it genuinely believe this lovely show is actually good.

• Locked thread