Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bolind posted:

I'm 95% certain that with my appetite I'd be 400 pounds had I been born and raised in the U. S. of A.

Probably.

We deep fry everything in the US. Preferably in lard and bacon fat.

And where I work, we don't bother changing the oil nearly often enough. Once it's turned dark, started smoking, or started foaming, it's supposed to be changed. It was doing all 3 (and has been for over a week). The baskets are also supposed to be washed daily; I see them get washed maybe once a week.

Since I was the one to mention how overdue it was, I got to change it. Had never done it before. :argh: Figured it out easily enough, but I was dry heaving while hauling the oil out to the oil bin. It was that disgusting.

This is definitely not at the pizza place I don't work at, this is a sample random photo from the internet. Honest. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
loving bomb squad, 10 police cars, ambulances and gently caress knows what else in the street today.

Turns out a bomb was reported, it was a bin full of chemicals, remains of a fire and a beeping fire alarm. I *really* dont know what to think.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you have self control, most American meals can be 2 meals.

If you don't, hey, you just ate 4 pounds of spaghetti!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

It counts as retail therapy when you get broken up with and buy a Lexus, right?

What kind of Lexus?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cat Terrist posted:

loving bomb squad, 10 police cars, ambulances and gently caress knows what else in the street today.

Turns out a bomb was reported, it was a bin full of chemicals, remains of a fire and a beeping fire alarm. I *really* dont know what to think.

Awww, Australia is becoming more like our l'il 'murica every day.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Apropos all the computerchat, I recommend looking at http://www.logicalincrements.com/ when trying to figure out what you should buy next. All of the equipment is vetted by computernerds and the list is updated pretty darn regularly.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Bomb threats must be in this fall, the refinery was ablaze with flashing lights this morning when I got here due to a bomb threat. Cops are mostly gone now tho

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's because Lenovo laptops are the poo poo

Word. I had a t series previously that was drat near bulletproof then I upgraded to a yoga a couple years ago. 2 years in, it still boots faster than my wifes ipad and to a full featured OS. That poo poo is still bananas.

Powershift posted:

Truth. My wife and I get a dinner and split it when we go out to eat.

keykey fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 23, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What kind of Lexus?

SC300. Going in with a few friends to make a Chump car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

That should be a halfway decent chump car. We're building up yet another E30 this winter because they're cheap, fast, reliable and easy to work on.

Completely unrelated note...puppies are awesome and I want a dog again. On the other hand when they decide 5am is a good time to wake up and start barking it sucks. Oh well I didn't want to sleep an extra hour anyways.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

That should be a halfway decent chump car. We're building up yet another E30 this winter because they're cheap, fast, reliable and easy to work on.

Completely unrelated note...puppies are awesome and I want a dog again. On the other hand when they decide 5am is a good time to wake up and start barking it sucks. Oh well I didn't want to sleep an extra hour anyways.

Maybe we just got lu my but our puppies never did that. Otoh, we would be up until 2am and that usually meant so was the puppy

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Managed to fit a pallet in the back of the 107 despite being told by many that it could not be done.
Think I might use it to build a tiny wine rack that I saw a while back.

Anyone else made anything neat out of pallets?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tusen Takk posted:

Maybe we just got lu my but our puppies never did that. Otoh, we would be up until 2am and that usually meant so was the puppy
My Mom's dogs are good and won't wake anyone up unless we ignore them until 9am or so. We're babysitting two 5 month old puppies, one is fine but the other is used to being up by 4:30am everyday. Once one is up and whining the other starts and it goes downhill from there.

Looks like my trip is extended again and I got bumped from helping with the install to leading it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

freelop posted:

Managed to fit a pallet in the back of the 107 despite being told by many that it could not be done.
Think I might use it to build a tiny wine rack that I saw a while back.

Anyone else made anything neat out of pallets?

Yeah, I've made a bunch of really big bonfires out of them. Works great.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I've been getting emails, texts, phone calls, and mailings from T-Mobile, asking me to convert to a postpaid account.

They list a benefit as being able to use Jump! to finance phones.

I spoked to them last night. I'd lose my grandfathered plan, which means I'd pay an extra :10bux: for what I already have. My current plan includes all taxes (except sales taxes on refills, but I buy those online); I'd be paying all taxes/fees/etc on top of the extra :10bux: which will quickly multiply into at least :20bux:

The only benefit would be being able to use Jump. And I'm still drat happy with my Nexus 5.

So uh.. why exactly should I switch to postpaid, aside from the benefit of the phone not being shut off if I'm 5 minutes late paying the bill? :stare:

Thinking about jumping ship back to MetroPCS - the exact same plan is $10 less ($60/mo), and they run on T-Mobile towers here. I just need to find someone in DFW to run some speed tests to see if they cap speeds, or if it's 50+mbit like on T-Mobile.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Phone posted:

It counts as retail therapy when you get broken up with and buy a Lexus, right?

What kind of Lexus?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

We deep fry everything in the US. Preferably in lard and bacon fat.

We were given a deep fryer as a wedding gift. We loved that goddamn thing. We fried everything. Potatoes, chicken, pork, cheese, okra, whatever. This was for about six months, and then we realized the steam from the fryer had left a thin film of oil all over our kitchen. We were so grossed out that we tossed it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

We were given a deep fryer as a wedding gift. We loved that goddamn thing. We fried everything. Potatoes, chicken, pork, cheese, okra, whatever. This was for about six months, and then we realized the steam from the fryer had left a thin film of oil all over our kitchen. We were so grossed out that we tossed it.

This is why I had to replace my hood fan vent in my kitchen when I moved in. Previous owners apparently liked to make a lotta stirfries with a lotta oil, and the vent piping looked like one of those cautionary commercials about cholesterol where they squeeze it out of a heart valve.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Powershift posted:

Or you can go to actually good restaurants and stop eating at lovely chain places. Pretty much everywhere I go to eat does not have insane portions, but if you go to olive garden or some poo poo place like that you end up with a giant plate of terrible food.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

What kind of Lexus?

LX570.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryhampster posted:

You should see the ceilings where I work.

And vents. We have 3 deep fryers with a vent hood that barely works (with no makeup), and up until a couple of months ago, I had no idea there were even lights in the hood (old boss got one working, but it burned out pretty quick).

My last "cleaning duty" was scrubbing the ceilings and vents. The paint just peeled right off of the vents, and the coating was peeling off of the ceiling tiles. My (now former) boss saw that, and just told me to flip the return air vent ducts upside down to hide it and swap the ugly tiles with ones from the (now closed) call center.

Did I mention they don't run any filters on the return air ducts in the entire building? It's a :barf: moment for the first few days that the furnaces get fired up, and I'm just waiting for one of them to go up in flames from all the grease. They run filters on all of the stand-alone refrigeration equipment, but not the HVAC, which costs far more to repair/replace. :stare: We have 4 rooftop units, all 3 phase gas fired with a/c. I'd guess tonnage to be at least 7 per unit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 23, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoa, lots of replies.

I have this Lenovo laptop I bought like 3 years ago, a V570. The fan whines so loving loud I have to turn up music to drown it out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy a T or X series Lenovo and buy your own SSD. It's not hard to get a 20 or 25% coupon, or you can buy second hand.

If you're using a Windows or Linux laptop, Lenovo business laptops are pretty solid. Dell makes nice hardware, but you need to make sure that you're buying a business/enterprise laptop. If you're dealing with consumer poo poo, it's a mess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Buy a T or X series Lenovo and buy your own SSD. It's not hard to get a 20 or 25% coupon, or you can buy second hand.

If you're using a Windows or Linux laptop, Lenovo business laptops are pretty solid. Dell makes nice hardware, but you need to make sure that you're buying a business/enterprise laptop. If you're dealing with consumer poo poo, it's a mess.

Exactly. People poo poo on Dell a lot, but thats because their consumer model stuff generally is trash.

Their business/enterprise stuff is grade A awesome, and is generally easy to repair yourself and upgrade with ease.

Lenovo seems to be doing good stuff with the Think series at least.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phone posted:

Yeah pretty much the ones labeled "Thinkpad" are pretty decent, and the X series in particular is my favorite. I still use an X61 as my work laptop because it's small, light, has a good keyboard, has a 64-bit CPU and 4GB of RAM, and sports one of the last 4:3 screens you could get on a laptop. If I need more power, that's what my desktop (or one of the clusters) is for.

So where do you guys buy your used laptops? I'd like a personal laptop (maybe an X61 with one of the higher-resolution screens?) and my wife needs something too (T-series?).

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Devyl posted:

This breaking up thing has become a lot harder to deal with than I was expecting.

:smith:

Sorry to hear about that, dude. I'm coming to terms with the inevitable end of my marriage of 7 years and what it will mean for me, her, and our two kids. I'm hopeful we can manage to work together and get along well enough to not gently caress up the kids.

Goddamn, that was tough to write. I guess I still don't want to accept that it's over, even though I can't imaging living with, much less being intimate with, someone that has treated me the way she has. Well, I suppose this is what therapy is for, eh? :smith:

On a more positive note, I have a phone interview for a job I really want (and that I'm super qualified for) in an hour. Wish me luck!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

I'm 95% certain that with my appetite I'd be 400 pounds had I been born and raised in the U. S. of A.

Likewise. 215 is plenty for my height, 400 would be deadly.

I just got my cholesterol info back from the doctor. Apparently my numbers are pretty drat good, even for 28. And it's not like I deliberately try to eat healthy, other than having pretty much cut out all soda and candy and other empty carbs from my diet, and I still gobble down cake occasionally. It seems to have worked, though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

Yeah that's retail therapy. That's a pretty kick rear end motor too, plenty of guts. Plus with all the weight ripped out that should really help it scoot.

:getin:

Also, stay off miata.net

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bandman posted:

Sorry to hear about that, dude. I'm coming to terms with the inevitable end of my marriage of 7 years and what it will mean for me, her, and our two kids. I'm hopeful we can manage to work together and get along well enough to not gently caress up the kids.

Goddamn, that was tough to write. I guess I still don't want to accept that it's over, even though I can't imaging living with, much less being intimate with, someone that has treated me the way she has. Well, I suppose this is what therapy is for, eh? :smith:

On a more positive note, I have a phone interview for a job I really want (and that I'm super qualified for) in an hour. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I'm still waiting to hear back about the job I applied for last week

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bandman posted:

I got mine on Zenni Optical. $35 shipped and they're at least as good as anything I've ever gotten from the local optometrist or chain store. They can manage anything from +12.00 to -20.00 sphere and +6.00 to -6.00 cylinder for astigmatism. As long as you don't have a scary-bad astigmatism (like my wife, with her -10.00 cylinder), you can't really beat them for price.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. For the record, I'm:
sphere cyl axis
R: -10.50 -2.50 030
L: -7.00 -2.50 164

And the right eye doesn't really matter, because I have a cataract. Hoping to get that covered under medical insurance now that we've met the max out of pocket for the year. At which point, I should have 20/20 in that eye.

I'm grateful that glasses exist, so I can see, but I really hate the loving things. Really annoying when trying to work on stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e/n warning :siren:

So I had asked four friends to visit me while I was in the hospital.

One of them has since unfriended me on the facebooks thing, and seems to have blocked my phone number - someone I considered a close friend for about 5 years. Another won't respond to messages, texts, or phone calls, so I assume he'll soon disappear from the facebooks too. I've known him for 17 years.

Two friends showed up - one I've known for 15 years (we're close enough that we usually wind up at each other's homes during e/n family poo poo, he's one of the only people who's ever seen me cry), the other is actually a regular customer of mine.

It'd be nice to know what the gently caress I did to piss them off. I'm very much an rear end in a top hat online, and in person I tend to give a bit of poo poo to people I like, as long as I know they can return it just as well. I completely ignore people I don't like, but I'd give my friends the clothes off of my back.

I feel like Rhyno now. :smith:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

I found a place with both a 2 car garage AND an external workshop.

Throw that on at least an acre, and it sounds good. Oh, I guess the house has to be decent to please the wife.

optical4less.com - based in China, but goon supported (they have a thread in SA-Mart - Viggen has ordered from them too). They charge in Hong Kong dollars instead of USD, even though the prices quoted are USD, so you may get hit with a conversion fee. Their website is..... not pretty, but it's functional.

zennioptical.com - US based customer service (now), but still made in China. Difference is they get them from China, then ship them from California by parcel post, so it takes a few days longer. They charge in USD. Much better website.

The first pair I got from Zenni had completely hosed frames - one of the hinges was cast at an angle. It took some back and forth of "no, they CAN'T be adjusted, the hinge itself is hosed" before they shipped new frames (which took 3 weeks to arrive).

The high index lenses will obviously add a bit. I have pretty basic single vision lenses, and my sphere is only -0.50 and -1.00. I don't bother wearing them at home unless I'm watching TV in the living room (no need in my room since I use one of my monitors for TV). I have to wear them to drive (as per my license), and once I'm out and about, they stay on until I get home.

With Zenni, it took about 3 1/2 weeks for my order to show up. optical4less was a little under 3 weeks. I plan to order a couple more pairs from both sites; it's nice to have different styles to wear.

Cool, thanks for the comparison. I've looked at optical4less (cost is about the same as goggle4u, but o4l has sunglasses). Haven't trued zenni.
I should mention that $100 is way less than pretty much anywhere else. I've been using target the last few years, and that's around $300-400, of which my insurance will pay $200. So as long as I got my PD right, and they grind the lenses properly, it's still a deal.

e: Dang, STR, it's bad enough when they take their ball and go home for a reason. Sucks when you don't even know why they went.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 23, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PD is really easy to measure, if you can see within 18 inches. You can print a PDF (scaled to 100%) from Zenni and use a mirror - if your vision isn't good enough, have a friend measure it. You measure from the center of both pupils, centering the 0 on one pupil.

https://pd.warbyparker.com/ is pretty decent to verify using a credit card and webcam. Credit card because it's a standard size to compare to (show the mag stripe side, no risk of showing the CC # that way).

For single vision, 1-2mm off isn't a big deal. For you it would probably make a huge difference. If you're between numbers, round up to the next nearest whole number.

I got these for sunglasses. Here's a list of the tinting options, I went with grey3, which is incredibly dark (the darkest sunglasses I've ever owned). Slightly purple tint when looking through them, but they are dark enough that the moment the sun starts to go down, they're useless. You can add mirror tinting if you feel like being in the 90s, but mirror tint really doesn't work with that style of frame - they're hipster enough already.

Coupon code "goonsrookie" knocks $5 off. IIRC An order over $50 gets free shipping.

Darchangel posted:

e: Dang, STR, it's bad enough when they take their ball and go home for a reason. Sucks when you don't even know why they went.

Well uh, there were kind of some 3 ways mixed in over a few years, but it's never been an issue before. And always started by them, not me. :blush: It's been nearly a year since we did anything, so this was kind of out of the blue when we've always regularly talked.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 23, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

So where do you guys buy your used laptops? I'd like a personal laptop (maybe an X61 with one of the higher-resolution screens?) and my wife needs something too (T-series?).

There's a small chain of shops in town that buys factory refurbs and old corporate laptops on wholesale and resells them retail. They're kind of skeezy in that they love to sell warranty and financing options but if you opt out of all that it's a great place. They've always got a few 2 or 3 year old Toshiba or Lenovo business class laptops around in good shape as well as some of the more interesting consumer level poo poo. I imagine there's a bunch of places like that in different cities.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Why not message them or send another friend request and just figure out why they did it? If they want to be passive aggressive about it that's cool and you can drop it. Seems like you deserve some kind of explanation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I feel like Rhyno now. :smith:

If you lived within 100 miles my rear end would've been at the hospital bro.

Devyl, we are all here bud, just reach out if you need anything.

Laptop talk, here's what I need:
1. Quiet
2. FAST
3. USB 3.0 ports
4. QUIET
5. Affordable.

What are we looking at price wise for a Dell business or Lenovo X series? Can I get that with the SSD pre installed or is it cheaper to do myself?

Wheel noise chat: Looks like I'm missing all the wheel weights on that back wheel. Gonna swap the winters over and see if I have the sound.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Well, the phone interview went as well as it possibly could. I have a ton of experience doing every part of the job and I was able to clearly articulate just how well I knew the subject matter. I was asked about salary and I told them "I was making <number> before, and I'd like at least that much", to which she replied "Well...that's a bit under the range for this position, which is <number*1.5>." :toot:

Gonna be sweating bullets until the hiring manager gets back from vacation on the 3rd, because I really want this job.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Rhyno posted:

1. Quiet
2. FAST
3. USB 3.0 ports
4. QUIET
5. Affordable.

I use a dell latitude 3540 at work and it is pretty decent. i5, switchable graphics card, 5 hours or so of battery life. I think it was around $1100. I put my own SSD in it. The only thing that is terrible and this is true for any laptop that isn't an Apple is that the trackpad is awful. I cannot stand using it after using my air for so long at home. Other than that though it has been good to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stealth Like posted:

I use a dell latitude 3540 at work and it is pretty decent. i5, switchable graphics card, 5 hours or so of battery life. I think it was around $1100. I put my own SSD in it. The only thing that is terrible and this is true for any laptop that isn't an Apple is that the trackpad is awful. I cannot stand using it after using my air for so long at home. Other than that though it has been good to me.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

1. Quiet
2. FAST
3. USB 3.0 ports
4. QUIET
5. Affordable.

What are we looking at price wise for a Dell business or Lenovo X series? Can I get that with the SSD pre installed or is it cheaper to do myself?

Wheel noise chat: Looks like I'm missing all the wheel weights on that back wheel. Gonna swap the winters over and see if I have the sound.

What price is 'Affordable' for you?

• Locked thread