Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Dungeon World dot txt

Dungeon World stories!

The session before last, my Dungeon World group visited the Upper Air, home of a group of fae who are anthropomorphic personifications of outer space. They ended up messing with the garden where stars are reborn, getting into a fight with the Moon, and riding it home in exchange for helping pull its bad tooth.

This session they unleashed a magical superweapon on part of the afterlife as part of their plan to murder the Grollub, an enormous Suriname Toad that had seized one of the Gates of Death and was eating all the souls that were coming through instead of ushering them to their rest.

Next session they are attending a shareholder's meeting in Hell for the infernal corporation some of them have shares in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Triskelli posted:

Would love to see the rules for Nanosystem, I'm actually trying to bring my group of friends into roleplay.

All rules were designed with one goal: simplicity for the player, and speed of math. To that end, the PCs stat block is SPECIAL (stolen from Fallout, since my nerd group are all Fallout-ers) plus N for Nanotech. Stats range from -2 to 2 and are added to skills, which range from -1 to 4.

All stats have 3 skills associated with them. To check a skill, you roll 2d10 and evaluate them separately, 1d10+Stat+Skill. 7+ hits once, 11+ hits twice, etc. Rolling doubles is a crit: if the rolls would hit, +1 hit per die, if they would miss, critical failure.

Lastly, there are a dozen different nanotech breeds that grant a variety of powers, and players choose two.

You can buy more dice by
-Spending the stat, one die per point, "straining yourself" or "pulling a muscle" such as it were. Spent stats recover after a calm night of sleep.
-Spending the Luck stat in the same way (applies to any skill)
-Spending nanotech energy, if their nanite breed allows it. (IE, the Poseidon breed allows buying dice for strength, endurance or agility) Energy comes back hourly to a max of ~10, so this is the main source of cheap dice. Players also carry spare batteries, used similarly to mana potions.
-Burning a stat (or luck), permanently lowering it one point, and rerolling the whole dice pool for more hits.

-------

A quick story for the story god thread:
I also run a homebrew fantasy-setting RPG [with a more-traditional 100-page rulebook].

The players come across an ancient tome, hidden deep in a defeated foes' vault, and said foe had made great effort to translate it, believing it would lead to treasure or power, yadda yadda. Of course the group takes the tome, and sets out to find a translator to finish the job.

After a long journey to a far corner of the world, they speak with the expert on this dead language, who says she will need some books from libraries around the world to translate it, since the book is not only in a long-dead language, but coded, riddled, and magic.

GM Intended Solution: travel around, acquire books, mail them to translator (or gather them all and bring them at once, maybe come up with a teleportation spell or something, lots of fun options)

Player Solution: Kidnap the translator, bring her to the books.

They did try to reason with her, but she ended up being agoraphobic (in my last-ditch attempt to get them to leave). So, she ended up taking over their loot wagon, locking them out of it and turning it into a study. Win/win for everyone! :toot:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'd say I'd be worried about them getting the translator killed, but they're in the loot wagon, the PC's would probably give up their lives to protect them now.

I also like your game system. It's not the simplest I've heard by far, but it definitely combines a lot of good ideas from other systems into a surprisingly coherent system that sounds quite fast.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evilreaver posted:

Player Solution: Kidnap the translator, bring her to the books.

That's historically ended poorly for the translators in question

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Sometimes, very poorly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

To that end, the PCs stat block is SPECIAL (stolen from Fallout, since my nerd group are all Fallout-ers) plus N for Nanotech.

PELICANS

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Surely there has to be something better.

Edit: NICE PALS :3:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I think PELICANS is pretty optimal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
AS PENCIL. For the office supplies RPG you've always been afraid of admitting you've wanted.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Party O' Heroes passes through a town on their way to a foe's evil lair. While there, they accidentally kickstart a prophecy that foretells the end of the world, they trigger a solar eclipse, death, mayhem, this isn't the interesting part of the story.

On the way back, they notice that some bad poo poo has happened in the town since they've been gone (about a week), once they enter the town gates. There's blood in the streets, people skinned and nailed to the walls of the town houses and buildings... but oddly enough, the city is calm, people are smiling (and covered in blood), and business appears to be carrying on as usual. They deduce that the town has been taken over by a doomsday cult, typically held in check by the law (laws hate citizens being flayed, and that's a pretty core tradition), but emboldened by the sudden eclipse. One of the party (the rogue) is of this cult, so they decide to put him in the lead, and pretend everyone else is a slave/mercenary for him as appropriate.

They're out of supplies and dead tired from the earlier foe-slaying, so they have little choice but to stay in the inn. Everyone's friendly enough, their story seems to work, so the party gets comfortable.

Late at night, a group of three people approach the party. They don't believe the party are cultists, and want to flay the lot of them. The PCs talk them down, and they relent: "Fine," they say, "Prove you're one of us, and sacrifice one of your slaves."

GM thought-of solutions: Kill the three idiots, they're nobodies and would die easy. Distract them and run, the party has stun bombs and sleep spells that would allow them to sneak out of town if they need to- heck, they have an illusionist on staff. One of the PCs has a demon possessing him, and if threatened will hulk out and make a mess of the villagers easy enough. Maybe make some noise and summon help, they could convince other villagers to intercede on their behalf. There's a shitload of possibilities here.

Player solution: "Sure, sacrifice me!" :v: The PC in question had no particular reason to die, so I'm just left :psyduck:ing, and welp, one knife through a heart later, sure enough the villagers are satisfied and leave peaceably. I guess he just wanted to re-roll.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I haven't played much tabletop, but I got into it for a little while after college. I was hanging with some townie friends for about 2 years after graduating, working for the college and generally living the college life without pesky classes and grades getting in the way. Anyway, one of my friends decides he's going to GM some D&D for us and we loved it.

I rolled an elven...umm...what are they called? Not hunter...ah, ranger. Yeh. Marksman, basically, with some sneak. So, Josh gathers us together and we go hunting up an adventure. He leads us to a cave and we merrily make our way underground. At a particularly spooky junction, we are given a choice, with Josh giving us some serious hints that we should take the right-handed path. The cave on the left was "very dark, not even your torches can cast away the shadows; seriously, it's loving DARK, go the other way!"

We chose the darkness. We wander aimlessly, losing reflex saves left and right as we stub our toes and bang our heads on outcrops. Finally we reach a wide cavern bisected by a river. On the other side is a sort-of island with a prominent stalagmite. Glad to have some rest from the darkness, we all sit down beside this river and patch ourselves up.

Within a minute, something grabs our rogue and drags him into the river, which sweeps him away. Half of the party sprints downstream to try to fish him out, while the other half is also pulled in by some sort of tentacle coming out of the water. Our mage passes a spot check and notices the tentacles coming out of the stalagmite on the island. I break off of my attempts to fish the party out of the river to shoot a few arrows at the stalagmite, which prompts the monster to wrap me up in several tentacles and drag me across the river.

I'm struggling, shooting arrows as best as I can (nailing some very strong rolls in the process). Our melee players are pretty much helpless, so they busy themselves rescuing the other ranged players when they are inevitably dragged in and swept away, while the stalagmite monster continues to try to drag me over to chew off my head.

Shooting. Running. Rescuing. Healing. Shooting Running Rescuing Healing. ShootingRunningRescuingHealing. It's an epic battle. There were grenades involved. I'm not sure what else; this was 10 years ago.

It ends with the last charge from our mage's wand , my ranger inches from decapitation and almost the entire party incapacitated (half-drowned or spraying arterial blood). Josh tallied up the damage by saying, "You little pissants just fought a level 20 [or something equally ridiculous for single-digit level characters] monster. Good job, you all level 4 times. Tonight's game is over."

----

My most memorable experience was playing a human paladin and gate-crashing a mob of skeletons in an abandoned temple. I forget the mechanics but I cast Turn Undead (natural 20, maybe?) and turned about 2 dozen skeletons into a patch of ash on the temple wall.

----

Reading other posts in this thread, I'm reminded of exploiting the bag of holding and size alteration so that one of our party members basically lived in the barbarian's backpack. She kept what amounted to an English cottage in there, while riding around in Hodor-style and taking potshots at our enemies from the opening.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 28, 2014

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

anonumos posted:

It ends with the last charge from our mage's wand , my ranger inches from decapitation and almost the entire party incapacitated (half-drowned or spraying arterial blood). Josh tallied up the damage by saying, "You little pissants just fought a level 20 [or something equally ridiculous for single-digit level characters] monster. Good job, you all level 4 times. Tonight's game is over."

You guys are awesome. The GM is a pissant for giving you a choice and then trying to TPK you for making the choice he didn't like.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

LuiCypher posted:

You guys are awesome. The GM is a pissant for giving you a choice and then trying to TPK you for making the choice he didn't like.

If it's the kind of monster I think it is, the GM pulled a lot of punches and wanted them to win, he really wanted to use a super-strong monster but also wanted to signpost it so that they wouldn't just blunder in and get murdered.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

bathroomrage posted:

If it's the kind of monster I think it is, the GM pulled a lot of punches and wanted them to win, he really wanted to use a super-strong monster but also wanted to signpost it so that they wouldn't just blunder in and get murdered.
Yeah if it's the thing I'm thinking of, the DM could have just murdered them all in like 2 rounds with little effort.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah if it's the thing I'm thinking of, the DM could have just murdered them all in like 2 rounds with little effort.

Ah. I just saw the term "pissant" and took it the wrong way.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
MtG chat

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Usually the answer is vast amounts of land destruction and counter spells.
The power of a single Twiddle cannot be underestimated. I have no idea if that's still valid, stopped playing over 10 years ago.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I recently asked one of my players what his favorite moment of our 2 year ACKS game was, and it was apparently "The horrible charnel house fight for the Fountain of Life."

I had offhandedly mentioned some sort of Fountian of Youth style legend early in the campaign, which they interperated as "Can bring people back to life". Sure, why not. For a solid year, they went about other adventures, including founding a number of towns, reenacting "The Haunted Mansion" and fighting a war with Frost Giants. But a tragedy occured in the last days of the war. The beloved mascot of the party; a Dragon hatchling known as Snake, was killed by a mammoth while saving the party Shaman. Utterly inconsolable, the party immediately set out for the fabled fountain, a continent away.

After a few sessions of dickwaving, playing "who's shiny velvet pillowbed is bigger" and "gently caress him, now his airship has rats in the furniture" with a Sultan, the search was on (my players are ADD personified).

The trip through the jungle was uneventful, aside from a player argument about whether or not Cyclopses lived in the jungle. One insisted (a Bard) that they lived in mountainous areas, and herded sheep or somesuch. The dwarven cleric instead insisted that they could live anywhere they wanted, and besides, "what if they're like, savage tribal Cyclops?" (Sure, why not?)

The temple of life stood under the weight of a million snaking vines. Snake men defended it vainly against such accomplished adventurers, and fell one at a time. The center of the temple however, was blocked off. Wards, warnings in snake language, broken stone and bronze furniture were stacked up against the doorways. A horrible stink could be detected from their side of the door. Low chuckling could be heard from the other side as well.

On clearing the rubble and picking the locks, they discovered a horrible truth. Two massive, savage tribal cyclopses were stuck in the chamber, using the Fountain of Life to bring their victims back to life again, and again, and again. For food. For fun. For centuries upon centuries, guarding the fountain. It's how they survived in a chamber too small to escape. Wall to wall piled with rotting remains and bloodstains in some areas.
The fight involved massive harpoons crafted from their own femurs, tethered to their wrists by ligaments torn free of their own legs, and regenerated by the fountain. The fight was the worst kind of attrition, but was ended by the Dwarven Fury luring the cyclops away from the fountain, to the corner of the room and then hacking at its legs, preventing it from crawling back for more regeneration. Eventually, exhausted and battered, they prevailed and burned the cyclopian remains. The Fountain of Life, was theirs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Never underestimate how far a party will go to protect/save/resurrect the Team Mascot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yawgmoth posted:

Never underestimate how far a party will go to protect/save/resurrect the Team Mascot.

When I first ran Dark Heresy, the party wanted an Adept but no-one wanted to play the terrified scholar dragged along on horrifying adventures, so they asked for an NPC one to tag along. They would later go on to attack an Inquisitor Lord himself to get their terrified nerd back, as well as defending and dragging the poor man through a daemonic incursion (on three separate occasions), an underhive, and multiple outright warzones. They thought it was hilarious that they were able to keep this bookish, frightened university professor alive the entire campaign.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Night10194 posted:

When I first ran Dark Heresy, the party wanted an Adept but no-one wanted to play the terrified scholar dragged along on horrifying adventures, so they asked for an NPC one to tag along. They would later go on to attack an Inquisitor Lord himself to get their terrified nerd back, as well as defending and dragging the poor man through a daemonic incursion (on three separate occasions), an underhive, and multiple outright warzones. They thought it was hilarious that they were able to keep this bookish, frightened university professor alive the entire campaign.

In my DH campaign, the players recruited an underhive drunken hobo as an informant, paying him in booze. They grew really fond of the dude, so I fleshed him out to have a sort of "good, smart guy if only he'd clean up" personality.In their inquisitorial reports, the players constantly lavished praise on this homeless alcoholic as an "invaluable asset, paragon of the common man and a true unsung hero of the Imperium", going so far as to edit Administratum documents to improve his social status, and as they cleaned up and improved the area, they raised him up to be a community leader. They did this before cleaning out gang activity though, and I'm a dick, so there was an assassination attempt that they failed to stop.

The fervor with which they pursued ruthless fiery Exterminatus in revenge was spectacular.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the DH campaigns I ran (I think DH has produced the best stories of any of the 40k RPGs, for me, maybe rivaled by Black Crusade) featured a party of explorers going into the Underhive to look for relics of technology. The party's Techpriestess was a former ganger herself, who had paid the 'sinner's toll' by bringing something valuable to Mechanicus explorers and been allowed back into the real Hive and into tech-Seminary. They worked with Trauma's old gang a lot, as they were settled near the Great Elevator that led from the Upper Hive down to the hellhole below and the party used the Kitbash Kutters as their sort of Mechanicus basecamp. One day, a Spyrer (Rich fuckers who put on incredibly advanced gear and go slaughter underhivers for fun) came through and killed a couple of the Kutter NPCs, including the previous Gang Lord and an old merchant the party was fond of. Trauma followed her up, confronted her in the Spyre of the Hive, and politely told her 'I know what you did and it got in the way of the Mechanicus, I will find a way to make you pay for it.' The Spyrer woman laughed it off and kept walking. Trauma used Ferric Lure to pull the pins on all the Spyrer's grenades surreptitiously and walked off praising the Machine Spirits for bringing justice to such a heretic as horrified nobles watched an 'equipment failure' reduce the Spyrer to a greasy smear.

The party later worked to get that Noble House excommunicated on suspicion that their Spyrer tradition was Khorne worship by deceiving an Acolyte team, leading to the downfall of the entire house. Players can get really, really mad when you mess with their home base and 'their' NPCs.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yawgmoth posted:

So long as it's one of their own choosing. Back during my first, high-school DMing phase I went through an unhealthy obsession with the Wild Magic rules (I also had the encyclopedia magica, so I had access to all the random effect tables). The PCs were hired to deal with a terrifying giant monster in some woods and discovered it was the permanently enlarged pet chicken of a hermetic wild mage out there, named Clucker.

In addition to the fact that he was now as tall as a person, Clucker had been exposed to such a large amount of wild magic "fallout" that he could (when frightened or angered) produce a wild surge effect targeted at everyone within about 15 feet of him. For a while the party tolerated Clucker as a tagalong, but no one regretted it too much when he was startled by some orcs, rolled multiple surge results on himself and simultaneously fireballed and magic-missiled himself to death while spewing butterflies and semi-precious gemstones.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

oriongates posted:

So long as it's one of their own choosing. Back during my first, high-school DMing phase I went through an unhealthy obsession with the Wild Magic rules (I also had the encyclopedia magica, so I had access to all the random effect tables). The PCs were hired to deal with a terrifying giant monster in some woods and discovered it was the permanently enlarged pet chicken of a hermetic wild mage out there, named Clucker.

In addition to the fact that he was now as tall as a person, Clucker had been exposed to such a large amount of wild magic "fallout" that he could (when frightened or angered) produce a wild surge effect targeted at everyone within about 15 feet of him. For a while the party tolerated Clucker as a tagalong, but no one regretted it too much when he was startled by some orcs, rolled multiple surge results on himself and simultaneously fireballed and magic-missiled himself to death while spewing butterflies and semi-precious gemstones.

Self-roasting and -garnishing. My kind of walking meal.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

oriongates posted:

So long as it's one of their own choosing.

Sometimes they choose one of your baddies. I'm reading a load of Shadowrun stuff in preparation for a new campaign, and this has reminded me of a story.

One of my old Shadowrun groups was hired to take out a gang that was roughing up some nice mom & pop stores. The Orc leading this gang (I forgot what terrible name I gave him) rolled terribly all through the fight, and then came on the business end of the Street Samurai's Katana. I role-played it out that his forearm was chopped off, then he did his standard "so you think you've beaten me" routine.

The group replied "yup" then let him crawl out of there. So of course, a few weeks later I brought him back with a new cyber arm, a new gang and a healthy lust for revenge - Shame my dice rolling for him didn't improve. This time the Street Sam decided to hack off a leg. He rolled well, and once more the orc was sent off into the world missing a limb.

This continued across the campaign. He got more and more powerful to try and keep him a threat, but every time, a bit of him would be taken - at one point, he was knocked out before the combat could begin, but the group tied him up and told him he knew what had to happen now - despite his pleading, they took an eye.

In the end I decided sod it, he was running out of essence for all this 'ware, so I just full on Cyberzombied him. That was the only fight he actually gave the runners any hassle in. they were actually sad to have to kill off their pet Ganger.

They were basically playing the Shadow of Mordor Nemesis system ten years ago.....

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Grey Hunter posted:

Sometimes they choose one of your baddies.

When a couple of friends and I played a quick make it up as you go one off to get a feel for eclipse phase, the friend who was DMing threw some ego slaved soldiers at us for a bit of a combat test. After a quick combat where he realised he had seriously underestimated the strength of the prebuilt characters and several lucky persuade or diplomacy rolls I'd convinced them to come with us and was absolutely determined to rescue them and start a revolution in this ego slave army. he blew them out an airlock three rooms later and I almost died trying to pull freefall checks in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to save my newfound friends as the other mate who was playing laughed himself half to death at my determination

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder what a half-serious mental/personality diagnostic of the average adventurer actually would look like. probably hilariously hosed up

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tollymain posted:

i wonder what a half-serious mental/personality diagnostic of the average adventurer actually would look like. probably hilariously hosed up

Sociopaths with radical political and religious ideologies (or a pathological disregard for social structures, where they can be said to have an ideology at all). Above average or even genius-level intelligence, but unable to maintain human relationships--pathologically manipulative, no capacity for empathy, and emotionally unstable. Vagrants incapable of holding a job, with a history of violent crime and gang membership.

Given past incidents, the board recommends that subjects fitting the psychological profile are to be kept under constant sedation and otherwise be interacted with as little as possible. Isolating the subjects from other patients and non-critical staff will reduce incident rates across the facility. Avoid physical contact at all costs. In the event of a breach, evacuate and sterilize the facility.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Sociopaths with radical political and religious ideologies (or a pathological disregard for social structures, where they can be said to have an ideology at all). Above average or even genius-level intelligence, but unable to maintain human relationships--pathologically manipulative, no capacity for empathy, and emotionally unstable. Vagrants incapable of holding a job, with a history of violent crime and gang membership.

Given past incidents, the board recommends that subjects fitting the psychological profile are to be kept under constant sedation and otherwise be interacted with as little as possible. Isolating the subjects from other patients and non-critical staff will reduce incident rates across the facility. Avoid physical contact at all costs. In the event of a breach, evacuate and sterilize the facility.

Note: All security measures should have no controls at point of deployment. Nor should indigenous wildlife be employed in sterilization procedure.

...Essentially any facility actually designed to contain adventurers would have to be an unholy blend of Alcatraz and Arkham Asylum. And they'd still escape.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 31, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They occupy a spot on the wide ranging spread of 'action hero'. A James Bond. A Rambo. A Liam Neeson character with a "certain set of skills".

Entertaining to hear about as fiction. Worrying to think about critically. Outright scary to be in the locality of.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

You'd probably also need to mount a campaign to murder the manifestation of Fate/Chance/Luck in the setting, otherwise something outside of the adventurers themselves would coincidentally happen to free them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hopefully you can trick some adventurers into doing it for you

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

You'd probably also need to mount a campaign to murder the manifestation of Fate/Chance/Luck in the setting, otherwise something outside of the adventurers themselves would coincidentally happen to free them.

I would imagine that locking up the favoured paladin of an active god would be a quick way to having your state overrun by religious fundamentalists.

This may have already happened.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Really, the best way to restrain a party would be to open a portal to the most bureaucratic hell, where they get thrown into a grey box for the rest of eternity. Even if they manage to bust out of their prison into the plane of infinite cubicles, they sure as hell aren't getting anywhere without the right paperwork, with their birth certificate, death certificate, damnation security number, three forms of photo ID, and the appropriate transferral consideration forms. If you get all that, and you're lucky, it will be a few short millennia before you're mailed instructions on how to continue the process to have your soul moved to purgatory for another chance at judgement.

What, you're actually trying to get back to the mortal plane? Not my department, you'll want Reaper Relations, which is about 2-3 circles from here, I always forget. Shouldn't take more than fifty years to get there though, I know that much.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Towards the end of my "communist Poland paranormal investigators" campaign I actually did have the players uncover their characters' secret service psych profiles (used as handouts). I tried to keep it an objective assessment of their actions by their superiors, and a sort of recap of the campaign before the final showdown.

They were so insulted they defected to the West.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Guildencrantz posted:

Towards the end of my "communist Poland paranormal investigators" campaign I actually did have the players uncover their characters' secret service psych profiles (used as handouts). I tried to keep it an objective assessment of their actions by their superiors, and a sort of recap of the campaign before the final showdown.

They were so insulted they defected to the West.

Amazing. I don't suppose you have a write up of this? I'd love to read it.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

VanSandman posted:

Amazing. I don't suppose you have a write up of this? I'd love to read it.

I have it somewhere on an old hard drive, but unless you know Polish it wouldn't be very helpful. Plus I tried to emulate communist-era bureaucratic newspeak, which is really hard to convey in translation.

I'll try to do some writeups of that campaign in this thread though, it was good times. The plot got insanely convoluted though, and involved a conspiracy of interdimensional Stalinist blood mages.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 1, 2014

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, currently in a game of FATE. The GM decided he wanted to have a game of low-level superpowers, and basically let us decide what sort of game we wanted to play. We started off with a teleporting Russian mobster, an electrokinetic hacker on the run, and me, a shapeshifting grifter. Because of our backgrounds, we just kind of gravitated towards organized crime.

A few sessions back, our contact in the Russian mob asked us to take out an Irish-run casino. Using some of our contacts, we got me an invite to the casino as a new persona. With a half-formed plan, I told the Russian mob I required sixty thousand dollars and a pound of heroin. Chump change for them, but they still hesitated. "This plan of yours... Will I be reading it in the newspaper?"

"You will," I promised. "And you will laugh."

"I had better."

I went in, hobnobbed with the Irish mobsters, and acted like a high roller. Ended up winning about ten grand at the tables. Got to know the pit boss. He gave me a bit of trouble at first, thinking I wasn't really a high roller until I showed him the color of my money. Got a really good look at the pit boss, and I knew I'd found the bag man.

The next day, taking the face of the pit boss, I showed up at the police station, and talked to a super strong, but not terribly bright lieutenant. I convince him that I've had a change of heart about working for the Irish mob after finding out that they're going to sell drugs! To children! Oh, sure and it's a terrible thing, sir, I couldn't face Father McNulty at St. Mary's. I told the cops that I'd show them where the drugs were hidden, and gave them a day when the drugs would be in the casino.

The night before the raid, the teleporting Russian mobster sneaks into the pit boss's home and chloroforms him. An hour before the raid, I sneak in as the pit boss and tell all the employees that we have to hide this heroin. Orders from higher up. I hide about a half a pound of it under the table and have the rest hidden elsewhere.

The raid occurs. The cops storm the place. "Oh, thank goodness you're here, officers," I say. "I'll show you to the drugs at once. They're a bad lot here, faith and begorrah." Everyone in the casino but the cops glares daggers at the "pit boss." I make a show of taking the lieutenant to every drug stash in the casino, culminating in the table. He thanks me for my work, and tells me it's time to head to the station. I ask to use the bathroom really quickly before we go.

The window's too small, but as a shapeshifter, I'm pretty flexible. I'm out in a trice, wearing the clothes I stashed there, and whistling as I walk away. Later in the morning, the pit boss finally wakes up, wondering what happened to him and completely unaware that the Irish mob is terribly unthrilled with him at the moment.

Since then, we've started a gang war with a superhuman supremacist group, gotten calls from the FBI, and become involved in that blackest of crimes, corporate espionage. We've also picked up a couple of other players, one is an CEO who basically has Suggestion as a power, and the other is his company's head auditor with the ability to control air currents. Next session is tomorrow, and will likely involve us figuring out how to tell the apparently omniscient information broker the teleporter works for that we're not willing to just spike metahuman-boosting chemicals into the city's water supply, no matter how much useful data it might bring him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was thinking about the X-COM Spycraft game I was in once, and I remembered a character who lives in infamy among my friends: Shifter, the Faceman. Shifter was a deep-cover operative with a chameleon-like personality, able to make himself at ease in almost any social situation. His player couldn't make the first couple sessions, so he and the DM came up with an idea; Shifter would play one-on-one makeup sessions as he worked his way into the auction of a stolen plasma pistol by a shady arms dealer to an IRA boss and other organizations. We only later found out any of this was going on; Shifter's efforts turned our hilariously failed first infiltration (we rolled terribly, planned badly, and basically made every rookie mistake possible for a fresh group of agents) into slander he was able to turn against one of the potential buyers, blaming our bungled infiltration on another faction involved. We then learned from our mistakes and did a lot better with the rest of the operation, leading up to attacking the convoy carrying the plasma pistol in an attempt to kill or arrest the buyer and recover the weapon. This was the first session Shifter's player could make. By this point, he had the guy we were after convinced he was his best friend and closest advisor, to the point that our target, who had gotten free of the wreckage of his car and had a clean line of escape, came back to rescue Shifter and try to get him to safety, only to get tazed for his trouble and brought in by our team.

I've always liked the Faceman class since.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Night10194 posted:

By this point, he had the guy we were after convinced he was his best friend and closest advisor, to the point that our target, who had gotten free of the wreckage of his car and had a clean line of escape, came back to rescue Shifter and try to get him to safety, only to get tazed for his trouble and brought in by our team.

I've always liked the Faceman class since.

It's always so satisfying when a character gets to pull something off like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Guildencrantz posted:

I have it somewhere on an old hard drive, but unless you know Polish it wouldn't be very helpful. Plus I tried to emulate communist-era bureaucratic newspeak, which is really hard to convey in translation.

I'll try to do some writeups of that campaign in this thread though, it was good times. The plot got insanely convoluted though, and involved a conspiracy of interdimensional Stalinist blood mages.

You should read Tim Powers' Declare if you haven't.