Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Agent Boogeyman posted:

I can only read this to translate as "d20 was made the status quo to deliberately and purposefully undermine the creative design process of tabletop gaming, thus purposefully and deliberately stagnating it for nearly a decade". Because that is totally what it loving DID. Am I so embittered by what the OGL did to gaming that I'm reading this wrong? I seriously cannot interpret this in any other way. This is not a good thing yet he is talking about it in glowing terms.
I don't have anything nice to say about Dancey, but there's another way to look at it: At that time, it was common for companies to create a "new" system for their game just for the sake of having an in-house system. It still happens. D20 encouraged designers to at least consider whether or not there was any point in publishing a game with a system that was just a slightly-modified ripoff of another popular universal engine.

Now, there's a big contradiction in this, because the other thing the OGL made possible was to publish your D&D houserules as a game. I know somebody will say that that's been happening since the 70s, but there are some OSR games that are really just "a copypaste of AD&D, minus the rules my group didn't use, plus some houserules." These books could have been more usefully and honestly published as supplements for the author's retroclone of choice.

Dancey is, of course, spinning history and doing what he's best at: marketing Ryan Dancey. Remember that the tagline for D20 was "reducing the demand for other systems to zero." Him disavowing responsibility for the Great D20 Glut is pretty rich.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey, my play group just learned that D&D 5th is A Thing and they want to know how it is. I stopped following the thread like four thousand posts ago. :v: They played 3.5 a bit, but enjoyed the poo poo out of the tactical gameplay of 4th. Did this end up being a better 3.5?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Azran posted:

Hey, my play group just learned that D&D 5th is A Thing and they want to know how it is. I stopped following the thread like four thousand posts ago. :v: They played 3.5 a bit, but enjoyed the poo poo out of the tactical gameplay of 4th. Did this end up being a better 3.5?

Not really, no. There's a good chance they won't like it if they enjoyed the tactical 4e gameplay.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
To be fair, it is better than 3.5 if only because the fiddly bullshit isn't out yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

To be fair, it is better than 3.5 if only because the fiddly bullshit isn't out yet.

Yeah, that's fair. I would still wait for the DMG regardless, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Right, it's better than 3.PF, but if Azran's group already does like 4E then Next is probably going to be a step backwards for them. Next has a particular appeal.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Absolutely. The tactical depth is nowhere near 4e's.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Azran posted:

Are you looking at 5 because it's D&D and new (which is fine) or is there something in specific you're looking to change from 4th? Because yes, D&D 5th is better than 3rd but it basically pretends 4th never happens and the combat is, not 4th's.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Welp, feared as much. Thanks guys.

30.5 Days posted:

Are you looking at 5 because it's D&D and new (which is fine) or is there something in specific you're looking to change from 4th? Because yes, D&D 5th is better than 3rd but it basically pretends 4th never happens and the combat is, not 4th's.

Not really, no. I honestly think 13th Age is a really good middle point for my group if they ever want something closer to 3.5 while keeping some of the "flavour" of 4th, just wondering how it had turned out. RIP Warlord.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So what's the current build for a wizard at level 4? Crossbow fighter is something I'm losing interest in and want to go back to warping reality.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Azran posted:

Not really, no. I honestly think 13th Age is a really good middle point for my group if they ever want something closer to 3.5 while keeping some of the "flavour" of 4th, just wondering how it had turned out. RIP Warlord.
Having played both, 5e more than 13th Age, I agree with the statement that 13th Age is the intellectually honest version of 5e. I think both have features the other is missing, 13th Age more than 5e but that's probably because in both the Barbarian plays similar and feels like half a class. Just read the free basic rules, if anything strikes your fancy, steal it.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

theparag0n posted:

This is already way better than dungeonscape. Nicely done kassoon.

Dahbadu posted:

This is great. Thank you!

Thanks! I may do some basic class/level stuff in the future, but I also wanted to keep it open for things like homebrew. We'll see.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Agent Boogeyman posted:

I can only read this to translate as "d20 was made the status quo to deliberately and purposefully undermine the creative design process of tabletop gaming, thus purposefully and deliberately stagnating it for nearly a decade". Because that is totally what it loving DID. Am I so embittered by what the OGL did to gaming that I'm reading this wrong? I seriously cannot interpret this in any other way. This is not a good thing yet he is talking about it in glowing terms.

Just think of it as Leto's plan from God Emperor of Dune. Sure Ryan Dancey is a horrible worm-person and caused a decade of stagnation, but that oppression caused the scattering of the indie games movement and the new flourishing of RPGs.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
What advantages are there to playing a warlock past 10th level? Our two warlocks are now considering multi classing due to the lack of spell selection. They never aquire, naturally, level 6 spells and higher.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kortel posted:

They never aquire, naturally, level 6 spells and higher.

Isn't that what Mystic Arcanum does?

11th level: 1 6th level spell/day.
13th level: 1 7th level spell/day.
15th level: 1 8th level spell/day.
17th level: 1 9th level spell/day.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

AlphaDog posted:

Isn't that what Mystic Arcanum does?

11th level: 1 6th level spell/day.
13th level: 1 7th level spell/day.
15th level: 1 8th level spell/day.
17th level: 1 9th level spell/day.

Was not aware of this. Not personally knowledgable about warlock mechanics. They made it sound like they have no versatility after level 10 compared to other casters. That still seems kind of crappy.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, Warlock's not one of the classes I've read deeply yet, but it sure doesn't look very flexible after level ~10. Maybe the pact or patron stuff gets better? I'm really not sure. I just remembered them getting higher level spells than you said.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Kassoon posted:

Thanks! I may do some basic class/level stuff in the future, but I also wanted to keep it open for things like homebrew. We'll see.

Yeah good stuff.

I used that drat 4e crib sheet you made for years, ended up making one for 5e.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
I think my Half-Orc Fighter is going to multiclass into Paladin of Vengeance (GWF build). I don't know how long Expeditions/Adventuer's League is supposed to go for in terms of levels, and I honestly don't know if I should multiclass at Fighter 3 (so I get fifth-level spells at Paladin 17) or if I should wait until I hit Fighter 4 so I get the ability boost (but then not get the 17th level Paladin stuff). What do you guys think?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kortel posted:

What advantages are there to playing a warlock past 10th level? Our two warlocks are now considering multi classing due to the lack of spell selection. They never aquire, naturally, level 6 spells and higher.

There are three important things to remember about Warlocks and versatility.

1: At will spells through their Invocations. Which include Levitation (or Jump), Alter Self, and Silent Image. All of which get ridiculously much better when you can do them at will.
2: Pact of the Book warlocks can cast any ritual spell from any class with the right invocation. This is unique.
3: They have forced movement and as many attacks as fighters on Eldritch Blast. So in combat it's shenanigans.

And no one gets an amazing L11-20. The Warlock is low down but on the high track.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
To touch back on the Ryan Dancey/Pathfinder MMO/D20 thing for a moment, let me share an anecdote with you all. The points will become clear later.

Back in the day, I ran the Warcraft d20 game for some of my friends. They were really into the whole Warcraft thing, and so was I must admit, so why not? (Note: we're talking about the Warcraft d20 RPG, not the later World of Warcraft d20 RPG.) This game really is just D&D 3.5 with some of the names changed and a couple of custom feats and spells thrown in.

In one of the supplements, the world is described in greater detail. To give an example, the city of Goldshire is described as having 7000 inhabitants and possessing enough trade to have some goblin merchants amongst them.

So what are my points?

First, the D&D/d20 engine is terrible for running certain (most?) kinds of fiction. It played nothing like Warcraft should. System matters. It determines things that can or can't happen within the game's progress.

Second, about that Pathfinder MMO. That's going to be awful for those poor guys who genuinely like the Golarion world. Anybody who is familiar with Goldshire in the World of Warcraft MMO can tell you that it's not a city, it doesn't have 7000 inhabitants, and there's no goblin merchants. In truth it's one inn, one blacksmith, and maybe like two houses. Oh, and a cart at the side of the road. Of course, few people knew about what Goldshire was really intended to be like, so nobody cares. With Golarion things are different. There is no way for them to make a world large enough to support cities with thousands upon thousands of inhabitants. Any MMO on a realistic scale would be preposterously huge and would require its own server for each individual city on the planet. Anybody who expects to see a 3d version of Golarion is in for some serious disappointment. At best you'll get to see a miniaturized parody.

And that will lead to some odd flamewars down the line. New fans of (digital) Golarion will meet the fans of the old (paper) Golarion and they'll get to argue about whether this place or that is a city or not, how tough certain things are, how long it takes to run from Sandpoint to Magnimar, and so on. They'll do it. If you think they won't, you must be new to the internet.

I think D&D did things smart. When they went with Eberron, they only did Stormreach. When they went with the Forgotten Realms, only Neverwinter. The entire campaign setting all at once? Yeah good luck with that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sage Genesis posted:

Any MMO on a realistic scale would be preposterously huge and would require its own server for each individual city on the planet. Anybody who expects to see a 3d version of Golarion is in for some serious disappointment. At best you'll get to see a miniaturized parody.

And that will lead to some odd flamewars down the line. New fans of (digital) Golarion will meet the fans of the old (paper) Golarion and they'll get to argue about whether this place or that is a city or not, how tough certain things are, how long it takes to run from Sandpoint to Magnimar, and so on. They'll do it. If you think they won't, you must be new to the internet.
The Pathfinder MMO is in a really weird place because frankly, most of its touted features were just Dancey slinging bull because he was scrambling to explain how this game was going to compete with major MMOs. Last I heard, Pathfinder was going to port the EVE engine somehow, and this was amidst Pathfinder fans saying they wanted the MMO to perfectly emulate the Pathfinder rules. Some go so far as to demand extreme, unmanageable realism ("it breaks verisimilitude if you can't just steal someone's tied-up mount") or things that aren't even logically possible ("Time Stop and divination spells must be included!").

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I honestly think the Pathfinder MMO is going to be vaporware. Having played Pathfinder for awhile, I was never impressed with Paizo design and especially their technical expertise. I don't think they're going to be able to hire the programmers and technology people to pull it off.

However, I hope they do pull it off, because there's a bunch of people (not me) that Kickstarted it and I'd hate to see those people get burned.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm pretty sure my 4e battlemat is a paizo one. Certainly I have a couple of their minis. It's like 'what the gently caress Wizards, accessories for your games will bring you in MASSES OF loving MONEY'. I should have been able to buy a 4e battlemat and 4e pens and 4e marker magnets and 4e dice sets and and and etc to go with my minis and books. But for some reason they just... let Paizo and Chessex and Alea Tools have those profits despite, you know, being an arm of Hasbro, one of the biggest loving manufacturers of that kind of poo poo in the loving world.

And 5e looks like they're doing exactly the same thing.

Well they did release an official dice set, loads of packs of tiles, the minis etc.
Everyone just accused them of "money grabbing".
Most of the accessories for playing elfgames are really low margin and are probably not worth it for a large company and only a small portion of your audience buys them.

Dahbadu posted:

I honestly think the Pathfinder MMO is going to be vaporware. Having played Pathfinder for awhile, I was never impressed with Paizo design and especially their technical expertise. I don't think they're going to be able to hire the programmers and technology people to pull it off.

However, I hope they do pull it off, because there's a bunch of people (not me) that Kickstarted it and I'd hate to see those people get burned.

For an example of "paper rpg company tries to make an MMO" and how it will gently caress up see WoD and White Wolf/CCP
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 23, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Beens posted:

For an example of "paper rpg company tries to make an MMO" and how it will gently caress up see WoD and White Wolf/CCP
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf
You'll never guess who was a big shot at CCP when the WoD MMO project crashed and burned.

Go ahead, guess.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

please say ryan dancey

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

S.J. posted:

please say ryan dancey
Got it in one.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

ritorix posted:

Yeah good stuff.

I used that drat 4e crib sheet you made for years, ended up making one for 5e.

Oh awesome, that was also on my list. That was always necessary equipment whenever I played.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

neonchameleon posted:

There are three important things to remember about Warlocks and versatility.

1: At will spells through their Invocations. Which include Levitation (or Jump), Alter Self, and Silent Image. All of which get ridiculously much better when you can do them at will.
2: Pact of the Book warlocks can cast any ritual spell from any class with the right invocation. This is unique.
3: They have forced movement and as many attacks as fighters on Eldritch Blast. So in combat it's shenanigans.

And no one gets an amazing L11-20. The Warlock is low down but on the high track.

Would you say out of the casters it can keep up? From what I can gather they seem like they have a huge selection of spells but just a small usage pool. Isn't that some what detrimental in comparison to say Sorcerer and Wizard? Just trying to get more information about how they function. Right now our party is level 4 but either the two warlock player aren't reading in to the class deeper or are getting caster envy from the wizard.

I kinda like the whole casting spells at flat levels thing. Seems neat and they tend to lock down encounters with CC and AoE abilities.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Warlock have better at-will damage than wizards, and their "always cast at highest level" design will matter as wizard spell slots get spread pretty thin at higher levels. A 5th level wizard will have 2 3rd level spells per day, a warlock has 2 per short rest.

The real thing holding warlocks back is short rests, and the solution to that is only available to wizards (or lore bards, I suppose). Get Rope Trick, take a short rest wherever and whenever you need.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Halloween Jack posted:

The Pathfinder MMO is in a really weird place because frankly, most of its touted features were just Dancey slinging bull because he was scrambling to explain how this game was going to compete with major MMOs.

Oh, yeah. I heard all kinds of crazy things like having a alignment system that would effect PVP and spell effects, and also be influenced by RP- that is, if you run around killing people 'for the lulz!', you'll end up Chaotic Evil and thus be locked out of shops and doomed to getting ganked to oblivion, but if you run around killing people 'in the name of the Night Emperor!' or some poo poo you'll end up Lawful Evil and be able to get decent gear so you can continue your crusade of killing lowbies for sport.

Also, he declared that he'd instantly ban any Goon guilds. :jerkbag:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So after running a level 3 valorous bard last night in a 5E game I can see no reason to play any other class. Skills, tanking, buffing, spells, and healing in a single package. Makes the eldritch knight in particular look like a moron and is significantly more versatile than the cleric.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Azran posted:

The expansion book has a class called Commander... I've heard its decent but have yet to actually see it in play

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Ratoslov posted:

Seriously, I can't believe this -- do you have a link? Although by all accounts the guy sounds incompetent, this is just so unprofessional. With a lead designer/manager making comments like that, I'm 100% assured it's going to turn into vaporware.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So after running a level 3 valorous bard last night in a 5E game I can see no reason to play any other class. Skills, tanking, buffing, spells, and healing in a single package. Makes the eldritch knight in particular look like a moron and is significantly more versatile than the cleric.
so... What are you're saying is that 5e is the perfect system to run the Brutal Legend game I've always wanted to do...

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

Oh, yeah. I heard all kinds of crazy things like having a alignment system that would effect PVP and spell effects, and also be influenced by RP- that is, if you run around killing people 'for the lulz!', you'll end up Chaotic Evil and thus be locked out of shops and doomed to getting ganked to oblivion, but if you run around killing people 'in the name of the Night Emperor!' or some poo poo you'll end up Lawful Evil and be able to get decent gear so you can continue your crusade of killing lowbies for sport.

maybe its a marketing gimmick. He's hoping that by calling out Goons in this way, hundreds will sign up.

But oh wait, that assumes competence in Ryan Dancey.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember that, It was to assure prospective backers that mean goons wouldn't troll them.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

moths posted:

I remember that, It was to assure prospective backers that mean goons wouldn't troll them.
I think that he doesn't want people telling backers that they are most likely backing vaporware.

Edit: Or point out his proven track record of success with things like in game $80 hats

ascendance fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 23, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It does make you wonder if he expects a game to actually happen, if he's already thinking about who to blanket ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dahbadu posted:

Seriously, I can't believe this -- do you have a link? Although by all accounts the guy sounds incompetent, this is just so unprofessional. With a lead designer/manager making comments like that, I'm 100% assured it's going to turn into vaporware.

Nah, I can't remember where I heard the stuff about Goons, but here's some crazy stuff about Alignment Dancey wrote last year. It's pretty stupid.