Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
So I just got a shiny as heck new (refurbished) Wii U in today, and I'm going to pick up some actual games for it tomorrow. I've already got Bayonetta 2 pre-ordered and ready, but I can't decide between Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and The Wonderful 101. I've only got about $100 after Bayonetta, so I can only get MK8/HW and MH3U/W101.

I've enjoyed what little I've played of Dynasty Warriors 8 so far, and I'm a pretty big Zelda fan, so I'd probably enjoy Hyrule Warriors. On the other hand, I have never really played much Mario Kart before, and people tell me it's the bees knees.

Help me decide what to get, goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
All of those are really solid game choices, but if I had to pick 2, it would have to be Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors. Especially if you have people in your living room with you. Mario Kart supports 4 players (or 2 if you want to be online), and HW supports 2.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

jivjov posted:

All of those are really solid game choices, but if I had to pick 2, it would have to be Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors. Especially if you have people in your living room with you. Mario Kart supports 4 players (or 2 if you want to be online), and HW supports 2.

Well, I don't have people over very often at all. Also, I can't get both MK8 and HW, that's just a bit over my budget!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I think you are confused about something. All the DLC is still available. It hasn't even come out yet.

I was very confused and am now enlightened.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I would suggest getting MK8 and TW101, just for a little bit of variety in the games you will have, if you don't mind having just fighting/action games, go for HW and TW101. I am personally not the biggest fan of Monster Hunter, and would suggest getting the other three first.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I played through both Mario 3D World and Rayman with a bunch of people and Rayman was by and far the less frustrating experience. Rayman doesn't have lives + better checkpointing like modern video games probably should so even if everyone dies a bunch it's no big deal.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

3d world is great. If you liked Galaxy you'll like this. It's engaging and fun and pretty much every level has a new gimmick without feeling forced. Plus both the visuals and the music are outstanding. And it's probably the best multiplayer Mario ever. My girlfriend and I are almost done with it, it's her first game ever. When she said "I love this, are there any other games like this?" I was very sad to have to reply "... No... :smith: "

That bundle comes with nintendoland too, doesn't it? That's surprisingly fun to play with other people.

This story inspired me to try and play 3D world with my girlfriend. She sort of glared at me and halfheartedly plucked at the Wii Mote. We beat the first level and I looked at her and asked if she thought it was fun and she rolled her eyes and said "Maybe if I was like...five."

I was very sad.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This story inspired me to try and play 3D world with my girlfriend. She sort of glared at me and halfheartedly plucked at the Wii Mote. We beat the first level and I looked at her and asked if she thought it was fun and she rolled her eyes and said "Maybe if I was like...five."

I was very sad.

Maybe you should try something she enjoys, like shuffleboard or doing your taxes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yoshi Accountant is my favorite mario tax game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Maybe you should try something she enjoys, like shuffleboard or doing your taxes.

Perhaps some sewing?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I was very sad.

end it immediately

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I was very sad.

She sounds mean dude :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I was very sad.

Your girlfriend sounds like kind of a shithead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I was very sad.

...what DOES she find fun then, if she can't even enjoy a video game that is literally the essence of fun?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I was very sad.

Harsh.

I tried playing this with my boyfriend and at one point he (playing as Luigi) was just running straight into a wall. I was laughing saying "what are you doing?". He just fell asleep sitting up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was very sad.

Get to the penultimate or final world, then have her play again. She might change her tone when she is dying horribly every five seconds!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

...what DOES she find fun then, if she can't even enjoy a video game that is literally the essence of fun?

Impersonating an old Jewish couple and having walking stick swordfights on the sidewalk and singing renditions from show tunes.

She just hates video games 'cause she dated a WoW addict back in the day and she has some sort of weird video game PTSD or some poo poo.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You're a real hero to me now BBodhi

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

I was very sad.

I would like to shake her hand. We will then go to a business meeting somewhere.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

I was very sad.

Sever

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

I was very sad.

Unreal. I've yet to meet anyone who disliked 3D World.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

She just hates video games 'cause she dated a WoW addict back in the day and she has some sort of weird video game PTSD or some poo poo.
My first girlfriend had a pretty serious distaste for video games, as well, so I can understand the sentiment. Of course, since I was in high school and still played video games as a form of escapism rather than for enjoyment, it meant I was "addicted" to certain games and sometimes wasn't very good about making conversation with her, and, well, one might be able to see where that could create an even greater distaste for video games (or the people who play them).

It was pretty harsh having a partner who felt that video game music isn't real music, though, since I compose video game music.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 23, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
There's time yet. She may warm up to it. I still have Kirby's Epic Yarn, my ace in the hole. NOBODY can dislike Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That's rough, Bodhisvata. I had an edge in that she loves cats and immediately decided Toad is the cutest thing ever. But in hindsight a 3d game was a tough place to start, we had to clear a few worlds before she got the hang of it enough to really enjoy it and not like I was carrying her.

AzureRequiem posted:

Well, I don't have people over very often at all. Also, I can't get both MK8 and HW, that's just a bit over my budget!

Pricematch is your friend if you're on a budget. Mario Kart 8 is 48 instead of 60 on Amazon and all the major retailers will match that. As for HW vs MK8, I would go to the store and play demos of both. They're both pretty repetitive games where you can get a good feel for the core gameplay up front, so finding out if one doesn't really click with you would help.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 23, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

There's time yet. She may warm up to it. I still have Kirby's Epic Yarn, my ace in the hole. NOBODY can dislike Kirby's Epic Yarn.
Unfortunately, that's not remotely true. It's probably even more for five-year-olds.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

If she found 3D World too kid-like, she's gonna be like "what the gently caress is this baby trash" with Epic Yarn. Even though Epic Yarn is charming as gently caress

AzureRequiem posted:

So I just got a shiny as heck new (refurbished) Wii U in today, and I'm going to pick up some actual games for it tomorrow. I've already got Bayonetta 2 pre-ordered and ready, but I can't decide between Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and The Wonderful 101. I've only got about $100 after Bayonetta, so I can only get MK8/HW and MH3U/W101.

I've enjoyed what little I've played of Dynasty Warriors 8 so far, and I'm a pretty big Zelda fan, so I'd probably enjoy Hyrule Warriors. On the other hand, I have never really played much Mario Kart before, and people tell me it's the bees knees.

Help me decide what to get, goons!

Dude, I highly advice trying the Wonderful 101 demo before you go after the MH + W101 combo. It's not a game that works for everyone (I didn't like it personally, but plenty of people will rave about it) so do that first.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 23, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, maybe Bayonetta 2 then...

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Macaluso posted:

Dude, I highly advice trying the Wonderful 101 demo before you go after the MH + W101 combo. It's not a game that works for everyone (I didn't like it personally, but plenty of people will rave about it) so do that first.
It should be noted that if you do try the Wonderful 101 demo, you should play it more than once, to the point that you actually have any clue what's going on. It's a game that needs a little bit of warm-up to get into, not because the game starts out really slow or anything, but just because of how much is there from the get-go.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I was very sad.

Jump straight to Grumblump Inferno :catbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Polo-Rican posted:

Jump straight to Grumblump Inferno :catbert:

No. Skip to the level where the platforms switch every time a character jumps

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Well, maybe Bayonetta 2 then...

That will likely be even less mature than Epic Yarn.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Macaluso posted:

No. Skip to the level where the platforms switch every time a character jumps

I've been married just over a month and that fucker in two player almost led to divorce.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Real talk tho, "girlfriend games" are a tricky thing because the games we may like to play that have couch co-op may not be accessible enough to our partners. You'd think something like 3D World would be perfect for it, but the mere fact that everyone has the same life pool stresses my fiancee out no matter how many times I tell her that it's okay, and since she didn't grow up playing video games she doesn't have the kind of reflexes or muscle memory to get through even the early parts of the game.

It wasn't that she thought it was for dumb kids, though, that's just silly, what is she a teenager or something?

I was lucky in that she was already playing the Lego games before we met, but those are pretty much perfect "girlfriend games" because they don't demand much in the way of skill, they have some good puzzles that become easier in co-op, and they're always hilarious if you don't immediately dismiss things that are for kids. Lego Batman 2 and City Undercover were big steps for us because those were bigger steps into what the rest of video games is like (also they were loving awesome and hilarious, especially City), then we did the recent Kirby games (Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland) and now she's willingly playing Hyrule Warriors with me and having a blast.

Impersonating an old Jewish couple and having walking stick swordfights on the sidewalk and singing renditions from show tunes.

I can also kind of sympathize with this, because mine also dated a video game addict who apparently got incredibly pissy at her whenever she came over to do something non-video-game-related and loudly told her that it was called "just Brawl" and "Smash" shouldn't be used as shorthand because that was incorrect (???). It can be overcome, though! I'm optimistic!

Alternatively...

okay that's enough words about my relationship wrt vidja gaemz that everyone totally asked to hear

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've got a pretty solid group of co-op friends, and they're generally more on the "PC GAMING ELITE" side of the video game divide. Lots of RPGs and shoot em ups for them.

They loving loved Mario Kart 8. Might be the most fun I've had with couch multiplayer in years - cannot recommend it highly enough.

NintendoLand gets some good love too - though some of the modes function awkwardly with three players. The zelda quest mode has taken WAY more attention than I could've guessed - with a friend addicted to slinging arrows with the gamepad.

We tried New Super mario Bros Wii, and you could actually hear the fun sucking out of the room. I imagine that if you can wrangle people at the same skill level it might be fun, but differing skill levels really wrecked the experience. There's me, who has been binging on 2d mario games for the past two months, Friend #1 who played mario as a kid, and Friend #2 who has never played a Mario game and kept yelling WHY DO YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN TO RUN? BAD DESIGN over and over again.

I might try and spring 3d world on them later, but I think they're still bitter about the lack of fun with NSMBWii.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

We tried New Super mario Bros Wii, and you could actually hear the fun sucking out of the room. I imagine that if you can wrangle people at the same skill level it might be fun, but differing skill levels really wrecked the experience. There's me, who has been binging on 2d mario games for the past two months, Friend #1 who played mario as a kid, and Friend #2 who has never played a Mario game and kept yelling WHY DO YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN TO RUN? BAD DESIGN over and over again.

People like this exist?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Narcissus1916 posted:

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN TO RUN? BAD DESIGN

I mean, he's not exactly wrong. You do want to run instead of walk 99% of the time, so why not just make it a Walk button instead?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I should clarify. Never played a 2D Mario game. Consoles were forbidden in his house, even though he grew up on a host of PC games like wolfenstein and tie fighter.
I asked him if he's played Rogue Leader and he shook his head and mentioned that he played the original Rogue Squadron on the PC. I am seriously tempted to stop at a thrift shop and pick up a used copy of Rogue Leader. Stupid me and my stupid "Hey I'm graduating college let me be mature by selling my gamecube games!" phase.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

I should clarify. Never played a 2D Mario game. Consoles were forbidden in his house, even though he grew up on a host of PC games like wolfenstein and tie fighter.
I asked him if he's played Rogue Leader and he shook his head and mentioned that he played the original Rogue Squadron on the PC. I am seriously tempted to stop at a thrift shop and pick up a used copy of Rogue Leader. Stupid me and my stupid "Hey I'm graduating college let me be mature by selling my gamecube games!" phase.

I did that exact same thing, but it was when I graduated high school. My wallet is regretting it now.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

How did I not know that this game existed? I didn't have a Wii, and I must have been confusing it with canvas curse, because I thought it was a "draw on the screen" Kirby game. I had no idea it was an awesome platformer with Kirby and a whip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fremry posted:

How did I not know that this game existed? I didn't have a Wii, and I must have been confusing it with canvas curse, because I thought it was a "draw on the screen" Kirby game. I had no idea it was an awesome platformer with Kirby and a whip.

It's absolutely adorable and, like it's been said, charming as gently caress. My ladyfriend just got it for us and I can't wait to play it with her, since we've been playing through Kirby Superstar.

• Locked thread