Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wormil posted:

Yeah, the developer preview breaks wifi calling and texting on tmobile so I will have to roll back. It's a shame but T-Mobile has poor building penetration and lackluster coverage so I depend on wifi.

Makes sense. TMo has to make those changes to the image and the developer preview is directly from MS without the TMo work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think this is the right thread:

I was going to get my mom either a Lumia 520 or Lumia 521 (I just noticed the 635 and this question may be moot) and I'm pretty confused at what the differences are. Comparing them on MS's website says that the 520 has Bluetooth 4.0 vs. 3.0 and the 521 has some WCDMA radios, everything else functionally identical.

This would be for using on T-Mobile's network and most likely without any cellular data turned on (she's on a voice only plan at the moment). I'll be buying direct from Amazon without any contract, if that makes a difference.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Uthor posted:

I think this is the right thread:

I was going to get my mom either a Lumia 520 or Lumia 521 (I just noticed the 635 and this question may be moot) and I'm pretty confused at what the differences are. Comparing them on MS's website says that the 520 has Bluetooth 4.0 vs. 3.0 and the 521 has some WCDMA radios, everything else functionally identical.

This would be for using on T-Mobile's network and most likely without any cellular data turned on (she's on a voice only plan at the moment). I'll be buying direct from Amazon without any contract, if that makes a difference.

Get her the 635, it's better in almost every way. The 521 is just the 520 with support for TMobile bands.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Maneki Neko posted:

Get her the 635, it's better in almost every way. The 521 is just the 520 with support for TMobile bands.

It's stupid, but I like the dedicated camera button on the 521. :/ But now that I see it, I think I'll be going that route. Thanks.

EDIT: Cases? Don't know if she'll want one, but she watches my sister's toddlers a few times a week and could probably use the extra protection. Or use her flip phone as a decoy, I guess.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is funny because I never thought that a dedicated camera button was awesome until I got my 925, now I hate to take pics with my S4 and just do all of them with the superior design of the Lumia.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Uthor posted:

It's stupid, but I like the dedicated camera button on the 521. :/ But now that I see it, I think I'll be going that route. Thanks.

EDIT: Cases? Don't know if she'll want one, but she watches my sister's toddlers a few times a week and could probably use the extra protection. Or use her flip phone as a decoy, I guess.

Yeah, I really hate the lack of a dedicated camera button on the newer phones, that's the one real advantage the 520/521 has over the 635. :(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well I'll be damned. I turned off wi-fi calling and have been getting a signal all day. I never get a signal inside my house. It has to be a fluke right? 8.1 couldn't improve cell reception?

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy

wormil posted:

Well I'll be damned. I turned off wi-fi calling and have been getting a signal all day. I never get a signal inside my house. It has to be a fluke right? 8.1 couldn't improve cell reception?

No but it's possible that in the time you've been using WiFi calling because of poor signal, that T-Mobile has upgraded their network in your area :)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Charles Martel posted:

In MixRadio, XBox Music, or Awful Music on WP 8.1, how do I stop multi-disc albums from showing up all in one list? It will look like this:

Disc 1 - Track 1
Disc 2 - Track 1
Disc 1 - Track 2
Disc 2 - Track 2
etc
etc

I tried retagging all of the albums with Mp3Tag which assigned disc number tags to the mp3s, but no dice. Am I missing something or is it just more Windows Phone hijinks?

Edit: Figured it out. I had to go back and literally put Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, etc. in the Album title in Mp3Tag for the Windows apps to separate them. I guess it completely ignores the disc number tag. That was driving me crazy.

Weird, it's worked fine for me ever since I went to 8.1 with only the disc # tag.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

clandestine cactus posted:

No but it's possible that in the time you've been using WiFi calling because of poor signal, that T-Mobile has upgraded their network in your area :)

That would be wonderful. My house is a dead zone, if I walk 10 feet in any direction I get a signal but the immediate area of the house has always been a black hole.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Hey my contract is ending soon on my Lumia 920, and I heard about the Straight Talk for 45 bucks a month. Right now I'm paying 90 bucks for 1 gig of data, and that's with an employer discount??? Well anyway my question is, which card do I need to get to do the Straight Talk and also does it affect my ability to get future updates for the phone? Like do updates come from carrier or some other magic I don't know about.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If cricket is near you I would use them for unlimited talk text and 3gbs data for $45 after the auto pay credit. I did that for my wife's Windows phone coming from at&t

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If cricket is near you I would use them for unlimited talk text and 3gbs data for $45 after the auto pay credit. I did that for my wife's Windows phone coming from at&t

quote:

Auto Pay Credit

Cricket is now offering a $5 credit at the end of each month for customers enrolled in Auto Pay and on one of the following plans:

New Basic Plan ($40)
New Smart Plan ($50)
New Pro Plan ($60)
Grandfathered Pro Plan ($70)

Heck thats a great deal. I could get what ATT is selling me now (1g) for 35 bucks. loving ripoff jerks.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Hey my contract is ending soon on my Lumia 920, and I heard about the Straight Talk for 45 bucks a month. Right now I'm paying 90 bucks for 1 gig of data, and that's with an employer discount??? Well anyway my question is, which card do I need to get to do the Straight Talk and also does it affect my ability to get future updates for the phone? Like do updates come from carrier or some other magic I don't know about.

Straighttalk is ATT network mostly, unless you explicitly want t-mobile or something else if it gets better poo poo in your area.

Get an ATT-compatible StraightTalk card, and put it into an ATT branded phone and you'll get ATT's update. My SO did that and got 8.1 perfectly fine through her 820.

I still need to get picture MMS working on her phone though through ST. It works fine via my ancient Nokia E71 but not on her Lumia 820.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

jeeves posted:

I still need to get picture MMS working on her phone though through ST. It works fine via my ancient Nokia E71 but not on her Lumia 820.

I don't know if I understood your problem correctly?

But have you tried to open Messaging, then start at new message (SMS) and then click on the paperclip icon, select what you need to attach and send off?

AT least that's the way I've understood MMS works on my Lumia 1020.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Podcasts app will not automatically download podcasts over wifi for me anymore, so I am trying to manually download them. The app keeps crashing and starting my downloads over. I have restarted the phone. :allears:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This is a nifty lockscreen app, yay Microsoft interns:

quote:

Tetra Lockscreen, a Microsoft Garage project, brings functionality to the forefront of your Windows Phone 8.1 device. Focused on fast, fluid, and frequent interactions, the simple tools it provides are always on hand when you need them.

Widgets included in this release:

Agenda
+Displays upcoming calendar events
+Visualizes the pace of your day with a simple timeline

Current Location
+Shows your current location on a street map
+Displays nearby calendar events with identifiable locations
+Pan and zoom in the top area of the screen, the bottom is reserved for unlocking

Activity Tracker*
+Displays activity in steps, distance or approximate number of calories burned
+Compare by hour in the daily view, or by day in the weekly view

Stopwatch
+Keeps time even when your screen is off
+Lap functionality

*Activity Tracker requires a Nokia SensorCore enabled device.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/tetra-lockscreen/11076e3b-6a9e-46e5-a563-d1f6b32a5df3

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kidney Stone posted:

I don't know if I understood your problem correctly?

But have you tried to open Messaging, then start at new message (SMS) and then click on the paperclip icon, select what you need to attach and send off?

AT least that's the way I've understood MMS works on my Lumia 1020.

No I was talking about the SIM card MMS settings for StraightTalk on the 820.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

US Store only, it seems. :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That lockscreen is really cool but I've become so dependent on WeatherFlow taking up that real estate that I can't use it :negative:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's a cool idea, but it still falters with the same poo poo as other non-system lockscreens. Takes a bit to unlock and it clearly takes a screenshot of the screen you were on so when you "resume"...it goes to a lovely artifacted screenshot for a second or two then to the actual screen. Weird.

Nice idea though...love the "pacing" calendar.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BonoMan posted:

It's a cool idea, but it still falters with the same poo poo as other non-system lockscreens. Takes a bit to unlock and it clearly takes a screenshot of the screen you were on so when you "resume"...it goes to a lovely artifacted screenshot for a second or two then to the actual screen. Weird.

Nice idea though...love the "pacing" calendar.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was just because I was on a 512MB device or what. After playing around with this in Android, the state of the windows phone lock screen makes me pretty sad. Not so much in the capabilities as the implementation. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So catching up in here, I see a ton of Lumia talk but has anyone else here gotten their hands on the HTC ONE M8 for Windows? Currently it sits as the top hardware for Windows Phone right now, and HTC has been good about its updates (and Verizon surprisingly) that it has gotten most of the Cyan updates ahead of the Lumia Icon my mom has.

The only complaint I have gotten so far about it is the lack of a dedicated camera button. Otherwise BlueTooth works great in a 2013 Kia Sorento, The DotView case got a upgrade showing a background on the dot screen, and I have not heard of any crashes, lockups, or weird WiFi issues yet. The 8X previous to this had the same random shutoff issue due to the sim card, but since that was fixed (scotch tape fix yay) it also has been a rather good device, now with the Cyan update from the Dev Preview pushed out, it got much better battery life too.

My guess is unless Microsoft has some Flagships cooking up in house, it will be the next HTC Flagship device that ships in both an Android and Windows Phone flavor.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Otherwise BlueTooth works great in a 2013 Kia Sorento,

Have you used Here Drive? On my car (Sony head unit, Lumia 925), driving instructions sound like phone calls. It's awful and I just leave it unpaired all the time. How is it on the M8?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

Have you used Here Drive? On my car (Sony head unit, Lumia 925), driving instructions sound like phone calls. It's awful and I just leave it unpaired all the time. How is it on the M8?

I'll have to check on that and report back.

Phone calls are clear as a bell though and users on the other end say its like they are talking to you in the seat next to you, so that's a plus.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I know nothing about Windows phones but my wife is having an issue with her 8.1 1020. She pins recipes from websites and they show up as tiles. After a few days the tiles go black. She can click them but she can't see which tiles she is clicking. Any ideas?

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Maneki Neko posted:

This is a nifty lockscreen app, yay Microsoft interns and employees working on side projects:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/tetra-lockscreen/11076e3b-6a9e-46e5-a563-d1f6b32a5df3

Small correction.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I was wondering if it was just because I was on a 512MB device or what. After playing around with this in Android, the state of the windows phone lock screen makes me pretty sad. Not so much in the capabilities as the implementation. :(

Had a "critical update" on my HTC 8X (developer preview program) this morning that seems to have fixed this weird delay issue. Maybe I'm crazy, but seems like they actually resolved it :dance:. Can anyone else confirm? I had stopped using custom lock screens because of the weird lag, but just happed to have Tetra enabled when it did the update this morning.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm on a 1020 and you seem to be right. Exciting! Now if only that app could use the daily Bing wallpapers and had weather integration.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My WeatherFlow lock-screen had to be re-setup post-update and there was a "lock-screen assistant" app I had to install too. Bit of a hassle, but it looks much better now. Must have been a pretty big lock-screen API shakeup, and not a moment too soon from the sound of it :toot:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

So catching up in here, I see a ton of Lumia talk but has anyone else here gotten their hands on the HTC ONE M8 for Windows? Currently it sits as the top hardware for Windows Phone right now, and HTC has been good about its updates (and Verizon surprisingly) that it has gotten most of the Cyan updates ahead of the Lumia Icon my mom has.

The more I thought about the M8 the more I realized that I don't care all that terribly much about WP and just rather love Nokia camera tech, and the software stack that goes with it on WP. I probably could find another phone on another platform that could compete (iPhone obviously, but avoiding that for other reasons), but overall my 920 started out great and has actually steadily improved over its lifetime, so I am going Lumia again next phone just because I trust that I will get decent photos out of it.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I love my 920 and as crazy as it sounds I loved my surface rt. All I use my rt for is word processing, light web browsing and watching movies on the go. Anyway I am due for an upgrade and want to stick with a Lumina. But I don't want anything much bigger than then 920. Any recommendations?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

joebuddah posted:

I love my 920 and as crazy as it sounds I loved my surface rt. All I use my rt for is word processing, light web browsing and watching movies on the go. Anyway I am due for an upgrade and want to stick with a Lumina. But I don't want anything much bigger than then 920. Any recommendations?

Is the 930 available where you are? That may be your best bet, or you can see what the next few weeks/months brings as Microsoft is supposed to launch phone "soon".

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I am looking into buying a used 1020 to use on T-Mobile. I was under the impression I could just pay someone on ebay for an unlock code, but I have seen some conversations stating that the 1020 is more difficult to unlock. Has anyone bought an AT&T copy and unlocked it while not being an AT&T customer?

Nevermind, I just bought an unlocked one.

daspope fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 25, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Is the 930 available where you are? That may be your best bet, or you can see what the next few weeks/months brings as Microsoft is supposed to launch phone "soon".

I wouldn't trust anything launched pre-Windows 10 unless there was an ironclad statement saying that it would be upgradable to 10.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

benitocereno posted:

Had a "critical update" on my HTC 8X (developer preview program) this morning that seems to have fixed this weird delay issue. Maybe I'm crazy, but seems like they actually resolved it :dance:. Can anyone else confirm?
Certainly not on my 635. Using the Tetra lockscreen, unlocking it still takes 2-3 seconds after the update. Not really usable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sick of my 1020, mulling over whats on the market now, do I go get the 930 and kill myself next month when they release something MS branded that's better?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

codo27 posted:

Sick of my 1020

Careful, you will miss that camera and recording audio quality. I just bought a 1020 after owning and selling a 1020 like 9 months ago because nothing else measures up. Not even close ($339 at the Microsoft store and I had a $100 MSFT gift certificate).

But to semi-answer your question, there's always something new in the works. Microsoft is teasing something soon, so who knows if it will be a 1528 or 1028.

In other news, a 2020 will arrive sometime in the next 3 years.

There's nothing wrong with the 1020. Why are you sick of it again? Just want new shiny?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've just always found it slow. And lately I can't seem to get a decent shot out of the camera, don't know if I've hosed something up where I dropped it a few times. I dont like the feel of it either, I know the 930 is bulky as well but at least its symmetrical at both ends. Plus I want a removable back/battery again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So I turned on my 1020 to update it and check out some new apps. I got a free Rdio subscription thanks to work, so I checked out the app on Windows Phone. On Android and iOS, it's really great; the interface is quite good and playback is excellent (They also look and operate very similar, mostly because they are all written in C# and use most of the same code).

Windows Phone? The code behind might be the same, but man they did not give two shits about the interface. Also, it has not been updated in a year. :(