Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Real talk tho, "girlfriend games" are a tricky thing because the games we may like to play that have couch co-op may not be accessible enough to our partners. You'd think something like 3D World would be perfect for it, but the mere fact that everyone has the same life pool stresses my fiancee out no matter how many times I tell her that it's okay, and since she didn't grow up playing video games she doesn't have the kind of reflexes or muscle memory to get through even the early parts of the game.

smh if you don't have triple crown lives after the second level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I mean, he's not exactly wrong. You do want to run instead of walk 99% of the time, so why not just make it a Walk button instead?

It's also not super intuitive that the run button also doubles as fireball/iceball/pick up. In one of my classes, we're programming an AI to play a randomly generated Mario level and my friend was baffled when she found out that Run and Shoot were on the same key because she hasn't played Mario either, I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got Bayonetta 2 a day early, killed some angels, s'okay I guess.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
GF games chat:

The worst part about NSMBWU is that everyone's got a different life pool and it's easy to accidentally kill each other. My gf dies quickly, gets disheartened, and when she uses the gamepad for boost mode she just feels like an accessory. Tropical Freeze was even worse for her because of the difficulty. She doesn't feel the same about Galaxy 2 because she can actually interact and help defeat enemies.

She likes Mario Kart 8 in theory, but she ends up in the middle of the pack which is the Item Overload Zone. She'll get frustrated with that one fast.

She loved 3D World and 3D Land though. And just about any multiplayer game on the 3DS. Get a 3DS.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My gf will play Dr. Mario with me. And very occasionally, Kart or Wii Sports. She played GTA and Mario 3 growing up, but VGs never did much for her. She doesn't dislike them or mind that I play them, she just plain has no interest aside from occasionally saying some games like Uncharted or Last of Us look cool graphically. It's like when she watches HGTV... it doesn't bother me, but it just doesn't tickle my brain's pleasure sensors.

Probably good though, if she played VGs like me I might be at risk of tumbling too far down that rabbit hole.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Looper posted:

smh if you don't have triple crown lives after the second level

Didn't matter! I said "we have literally-not-figuratively over a thousand lives you are never going to be a detriment by dying too much" but some people get neurotic for reasons. :shrug:

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 23, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Electromax posted:

My gf will play Dr. Mario with me. And very occasionally, Kart or Wii Sports. She played GTA and Mario 3 growing up, but VGs never did much for her. She doesn't dislike them or mind that I play them, she just plain has no interest aside from occasionally saying some games like Uncharted or Last of Us look cool graphically. It's like when she watches HGTV... it doesn't bother me, but it just doesn't tickle my brain's pleasure sensors.

This is pretty much describes my relationship down to the HGTV.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Huh. I never considered, like, any of this stuff. I guess I'm just lucky that my girlfriend and I have similar-ish tastes in video games? It never struck me as something that might be a problem. :shrug:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Donkey Kong Country Returns almost ended my relationship with my last girlfriend. New Super Mario Bros had its moments but we got through it; DKCR was too much. I'm playing it alone now and enjoying it a lot more.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My Girlfriend really liked Muscle March so I married her and got stupid buff, true story.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

SRM posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns almost ended my relationship with my last girlfriend. New Super Mario Bros had its moments but we got through it; DKCR was too much. I'm playing it alone now and enjoying it a lot more.

DKCR and DKC:TF co-op are a stone-cold bitch. Had a lot more fun just taking turns playing them and heckling each other over the number of lives we lost. I think the only place that co-op was actually helpful and fun was the boss fights.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Surlaw posted:

My Girlfriend really liked Muscle March so I married her and got stupid buff, true story.

I hope your marriage was a live action muscle march. I also want Muscle March in glorious HD

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My girlfriend loves Mario Kart 8, plays it more often than me, and is better than me at it at this point. She also really likes playing Princess Peach in SM3DW and as Sheik in Hyrule Warriors, and doing the Murphy stuff in Rayman Legends. What I'm saying is, she's cooler than your girlfriend.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My girlfriend loves Mario Kart 8

It's the best game ever for co-op. My wife apparently played the hell out of n64 Mario kart in college and ended up taking to 8 like a fish to water. She even worked up to like 2500 points online. Online multiplayer with your so is the poo poo.

Disenfranchising goons, itt

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I don't think I'm gonna get Bayonetta 2. I'm not good at action games like this. Trying to finally sit down and play Bayo 1 on 360, and I could not beat the Chapter 2 boss fight at all.

Does 2 have an easy mode that doesn't move the character for you like how Bayo 1 apparently does? I don't wanna do the babby touchscreen controls either. I enjoyed the demo, but...

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

You couldn't beat chapter 2's boss on the easiest mode? How did you post this message? I'm not being sarcastic, I mean I'm not sure you're not invulnerable on the lowest setting.

Is there an insta-death QTE that I forgot about? Are you sure you're not on the Normal mode and not Very Easy(automatic)?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Roflan posted:

You couldn't beat chapter 2's boss on the easiest mode? How did you post this message? I'm not being sarcastic, I mean I'm not sure you're not invulnerable on the lowest setting.

Is there an insta-death QTE that I forgot about? Are you sure you're not on the Normal mode and not Very Easy(automatic)?

I'm playing Bayo 1 on Normal because I don't want an automatic mode. That was my question about 2, if there is a mode that lets you play normally but maybe with damage adjusted or a bigger window for Witch Time.

Gonna try the boss again later, but I just could not get WT to trigger. :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As far as I know in Bayonetta 2, easy is just easy the touch screen controls are the equivalent of Easy Automatic.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Ohh, I thought you said you were playing Bayo 1 on the easiest mode. Well, I have good news, then. You can play on Very Easy while not being on automatic. When you start the game on Very Easy, you are given an accessory called... I forget. But it goes in a special accessory slot in which you can only equip that accessory. Simply unequip it and you can play Very Easy but without automatic. You can also use that accessory in higher difficulties, but it halves your points.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I really wish they would out out a hyrule warriors demo out. Is the Bayonetta one still around?

Edit: the bayo 2 demo is 17 gigs :toot:

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 23, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Neat, thanks.

I'm fine with difficulty in games, which makes it all the more frustrating. This year I've finished Dark Souls 2, beaten Yama twice in Spelunky and 100%ed The Binding of Isaac. I'm just terrible at character action games.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

I'm playing Bayo 1 on Normal because I don't want an automatic mode. That was my question about 2, if there is a mode that lets you play normally but maybe with damage adjusted or a bigger window for Witch Time.

Gonna try the boss again later, but I just could not get WT to trigger. :argh:

In Easy/Very Easy there's an accessory (Immortal Marrionette) that makes the gameplay automatic. Unequip it to disable the auto.

Also the boss (I'm assuming this is Jeanne) won't give you Witch Time on Normal. Sorry.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

davey4283 posted:

I really wish they would out out a hyrule warriors demo out. Is the Bayonetta one still around?

Edit: the bayo 2 demo is 17 gigs :toot:

The game is 17. The demo is something like 900MB, which you've likely already figured out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

yoshesque posted:

In Easy/Very Easy there's an accessory (Immortal Marrionette) that makes the gameplay automatic. Unequip it to disable the auto.

Also the boss (I'm assuming this is Jeanne) won't give you Witch Time on Normal. Sorry.

Nah, it's the dragon at the end of the chapter. I'll give it another go this weekend.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I know you are supposed to dodge at the very last moment to get witch time, but I was getting it almost every time I dodged. I don't think I ever dodged in the demo without getting witch time(I did get hit sometimes by dodging too late or not recognizing something was an attack). Is it a lot more lenient than it says it is, or was I just good at it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Nah, it's the dragon at the end of the chapter. I'll give it another go this weekend.

IIRC, the trick is to use your guns and only Melee when you trigger the slow motion dodge. It is one of those sharp difficulty spikes early in the game.

Much like Wonderful 101, Bayonetta has a lot of tricks that you have to learn to really be able to play the game.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

If you stay about halfway between his head and the end of the building you can trigger his easiest attacks to get witch time off: a bite attack and a fireball attack, both which have very obvious tells. When you're not in witch time hold down the punch/kick/shoot buttons to shoot him.

greatn posted:

I know you are supposed to dodge at the very last moment to get witch time, but I was getting it almost every time I dodged. I don't think I ever dodged in the demo without getting witch time(I did get hit sometimes by dodging too late or not recognizing something was an attack). Is it a lot more lenient than it says it is, or was I just good at it?

I felt like the dodging window was really lenient in the demo, but I think the demo is set to 2nd Climax, which means it's going to be easier in general. Then again, the enemies have really obvious tells, so it's possible that you have good reactions/are good at games. :toot:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

She also really likes playing Princess Peach in SM3DW and as Sheik in Hyrule Warriors, and doing the Murphy stuff in Rayman Legends. What I'm saying is, she's cooler than your girlfriend.

Your girlfriend is cooler than everyone.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Traded in W101 for Super Mario Galaxy. This Gamestop didn't have the second one. It's a lot of fun so far.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Soul Glo posted:

I've been playing it on my PS3 recently since it was on sale and yeah that dragon fight is such a difficulty spike. In my experience in that fight the head chomps don't trigger Witch Time but the fireballs do. Also be ready for a QTE after the fight that can kill you (you start right back at the QTE if you fail but it sucks to die like that after a fight like that).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ooh, partner/video-game chat!

My boyfriend is slowly coming around to gaming. Our first date (over 2 years ago) was at some hipster bar that had a N64, and I could tell he was just humouring me by playing some Mario Kart. These days he thinks Mario Kart 8 is really fun and he wants to get his own Wii U for that and Pikmin, which he played at our mutual friend's house and instantly adored. I can't wait to get him interested in Smash Bros too :D

Talking of which, only 30 minutes until the Smash Wii U Nintendo Direct! :toot:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Ooh, partner/video-game chat!

My boyfriend is slowly coming around to gaming. Our first date (over 2 years ago) was at some hipster bar that had a N64, and I could tell he was just humouring me by playing some Mario Kart. These days he thinks Mario Kart 8 is really fun and he wants to get his own Wii U for that and Pikmin, which he played at our mutual friend's house and instantly adored. I can't wait to get him interested in Smash Bros too :D

Huh, I thought it was 7, not 6. Welp, guess I'm gonna miss it then. :smith:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

James Woods Fan posted:

Traded in W101

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PDP announced a few more GC-style Wii Classic Controllers, just in case you didn't think the last ones were ugly enough:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hedrigall posted:

I forget. Are these immediately accessible through the WiiU, or just the website?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PDP announced a few more GC-style Wii Classic Controllers, just in case you didn't think the last ones were ugly enough:

Whoa, I like the Mario one and Peach one since they go so nicely with the Wiimotes. But these look kinda... hm. Uh, I'd have to see more photos of the actual controllers instead of just renders I guess.

I guess their first batch was successful enough to warrant a new color set?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can watch 'em on Wii U, can't remember if you can watch them through the normal browser or if it forces you to watch on the eShop, though. They'll post it online once it's done (~40 minutes from now).

Here's a link to the youtube stream, there's a twitch stream too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0dIeddVGZU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8 PLAYER SMASH!?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Metal Face and Ridley confirmed to both come gently caress you up. Ridley confirmed mercenary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

I do feel like a punk. I can't help it though. I simply wasn't invested enough to truly nail down the proper way to play. I may revisit in the future.

• Locked thread