Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Jonked posted:

Snakes don't have names, therefore Naga.

Hounds have arms and legs, therefore no Ainoks.

If you are an actual snake, or an anthropomorphic snake with arms and legs, your creature type is snake, unless you don't have legs in which case you're a naga? This makes no drat sense. Either make all of the anthropomorphic snakes belong to a single race or start making more distinctions over minor morphological differences with all of the races, e.g. make the vedalken with 4 arms a different race then the ones with 2 arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
And the underwhelming followup to the sweet art of November's Brain Maggot and December's Stoke the Flames FNM Promos is this bad boy:

Looks like they're going for a more Ankle Shanker look for it. I'm still holding out for an Ensoul Artifact promo but they'll probably start in on KtK cards in February.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

Brimaz should be boarded and replaced with Rabblemaster. The only matchups he's good against are the mirror and Sligh. Also 3 digs are too many. It can just sit in your hand a lot of times. I've been playing 1 and it's fine.

I think 3 Digs are too few, play the full 4.

I also like running the more creature light version with just 4 Rabbles, 4 Mantis Rider, maybe 1 Seeker, and more noncreature spells. That way you have 4x Magma Jet and 4x Lightning Strike as your turn 2 plays followed by a host of turn 3 stuff you can choose from.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Madmarker posted:

Well, unless something gives, I find that likely. I mean, even friggin burn decks are splashing blue for the thing, it helps power the Modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck, I will be watching Madrid closely.

It's me, I'm the guy who just put 4 cruises in his modern r/w burn deck yesterday. It's really good. I think I mentioned the other day that I played against a junk deck online that had islands in it just for cruises and it seemed to work. Card might be kinda dumb.

I am really disappointed with how little modern coverage there has been lately. With it being more accessible than legacy you'd think it would get pushed more by cfb and scg.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madmarker posted:

No there hasn't been a big modern event since August. The next one is GP Madrid on November 14.

edit-Which is the same day as GP New Jersey which is a Legacy GP.

There is a huge legacy tourney this weekend in Philly. I'm sure there will be a TON of Cruises being taken.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who just put 4 cruises in his modern r/w burn deck yesterday. It's really good. I think I mentioned the other day that I played against a junk deck online that had islands in it just for cruises and it seemed to work. Card might be kinda dumb.

I am really disappointed with how little modern coverage there has been lately. With it being more accessible than legacy you'd think it would get pushed more by cfb and scg.

CFB doesn't have a weekly tournament circuit to push it on, though they do do plenty of Modern videos and articles. SCG recently added a Modern event to each of their Opens but they haven't put down resources to cover them. I wouldn't be surprised to see that change within a year or so.

mcmagic posted:

There is a huge legacy tourney this weekend in Philly. I'm sure there will be a TON of Cruises being taken.

Oh man that's right, Eternal Weekend is in a couple days. I'm really excited to watch Chris Pikula and Randy Buehler squint at altered Unlimited power and try to figure out what it is.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Attorney at Funk posted:

CFB doesn't have a weekly tournament circuit to push it on, though they do do plenty of Modern videos and articles. SCG recently added a Modern event to each of their Opens but they haven't put down resources to cover them. I wouldn't be surprised to see that change within a year or so.

Yeah most of my comment was regarding scg coverage. Seems like they could at least alternate what they cover on sundays or have a secondary channel to cover modern while legacy is going on. I kinda assumed that people getting fetches for standard right after shocks might increase interest in modern now that manabases aren't so completely unreasonable in price.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Attorney at Funk posted:

I hope to see 4 Treasure Cruises in the winning decks from both tournaments.

I have not gotten out to a modern tournament since Khans hit but I want to Remand a Treasure Cruise so much.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Yeah most of my comment was regarding scg coverage. Seems like they could at least alternate what they cover on sundays or have a secondary channel to cover modern while legacy is going on. I kinda assumed that people getting fetches for standard right after shocks might increase interest in modern now that manabases aren't so completely unreasonable in price.

I'd be surprised if they don't eventually, but their current model's working well enough that it's easy to see why they'd favor gradual change.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think the main speed bump for scg not having a secondary modern channel is that it doesn't look like they have anybody for commentary?

I'm not very up to date on people who play modern who work for SCG, unfortunately.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Elyv posted:

shut up I know it's been errata'd to a lizard :(

I did not know before this moment how much I wanted a Mesozoic-themed set. Give me my fantasy Dinosaurs already, Wizards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

If you are an actual snake, or an anthropomorphic snake with arms and legs, your creature type is snake, unless you don't have legs in which case you're a naga? This makes no drat sense. Either make all of the anthropomorphic snakes belong to a single race or start making more distinctions over minor morphological differences with all of the races, e.g. make the vedalken with 4 arms a different race then the ones with 2 arms.

Don't try to reconcile all the creative stuff in Magic, that way madness lies.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Cedric Philips plays modern, but I'd hate to see him stop commentating legacy (with Patrick Sullivan), since it's the format that's the most fun to watch.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

I think the main speed bump for scg not having a secondary modern channel is that it doesn't look like they have anybody for commentary?

I'm not very up to date on people who play modern who work for SCG, unfortunately.

Around a year ago they fired all their commentators besides Cedric Phillips and Patrick Sullivan (and sometimes Patrick Chapin and that guy with the hat that pronounces all the card names wrong). They've also standardized their Open formats, losing the couple Team Limited Opens there were the year before in exchange for a consistent Saturday Standard/Sunday Legacy format. They only recently stopped streamlining their circuit and coverage offerings and are just beginning to expand from the base they built up over the last year (the one that sees their coverage numbers surpass even same-format simultaneous GPs). SCG is also *the* premier source of Legacy coverage, so cutting back on that is giving up one of their greatest advantages.

They could obviously put down the money to add people and cameras to cover the Modern events, and I expect they will, but their priorities don't seem to quite be there yet.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bonus posted:

Cedric Philips plays modern, but I'd hate to see him stop commentating legacy (with Patrick Sullivan), since it's the format that's the most fun to watch.

I can go for whichever makes him do more cartwheel stunts in the future.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

Don't try to reconcile all the creative stuff in Magic, that way madness lies.

It would be fun to have a pedantic block with taxonomy-changing spells. Mycosynth lattice would be a sweet limited bomb.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Do you mind posting your list? I'm building affinity but need poo poo in the mean time.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

BXCX posted:

And the underwhelming followup to the sweet art of November's Brain Maggot and December's Stoke the Flames FNM Promos is this bad boy:

I imagine it is for cube, as it's considered by many to be a decent one-drop in that environment. Intimidator Initiate isn't bad either: falter effects are decent in a creature-based limited format, even a relatively high powered one.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Do you mind posting your list? I'm building affinity but need poo poo in the mean time.
I like Treasure Cruise so much that it made me build a R/U deck in Modern. The card is super powerful.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 23, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ebethron posted:

I imagine it is for cube, as it's considered by many to be a decent one-drop in that environment. Intimidator Initiate isn't bad either: falter effects are decent in a creature-based limited format, even a relatively high powered one.

I don't play red aggro much, but I've found it to be really good even in this standard. In a world of Coursers and Rhinos, being able to remove a big fatty as a potential blocker every turn is huge.

That said, hate the art.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I think 3 Digs are too few, play the full 4.

I also like running the more creature light version with just 4 Rabbles, 4 Mantis Rider, maybe 1 Seeker, and more noncreature spells. That way you have 4x Magma Jet and 4x Lightning Strike as your turn 2 plays followed by a host of turn 3 stuff you can choose from.

How does the deck not just roll over and die to Carytid/Siege Rhino then?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Watching last week's SCG Open and it's starting to bug me how many people sacrifice fetchlands on their opponent's end-step just because they think that's what you always have to do. I won't even get into non-existent deck thinning, that's a given, but people aren't thinking through their mana. I've seen so many cases of color screw online (especially in draft) because they drew the basic they just fetched for on the next turn and are still missing a color. I see it in Legacy too for some reason....

It only makes sense if you need the shuffle effect before you draw (Courser revealing poop, Top showed you bad things, etc.) or in Modern where you're avoiding taking two damage off a Shockland. THAT'S IT!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

https://deckbox.org/sets/784622

That's what I'm using now and I'm pretty happy with it. Need to make some sideboard adjustments but thats what I have for now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Watching last week's SCG Open and it's starting to bug me how many people sacrifice fetchlands on their opponent's end-step just because they think that's what you always have to do. I won't even get into non-existent deck thinning, that's a given, but people aren't thinking through their mana. I've seen so many cases of color screw online (especially in draft) because they drew the basic they just fetched for on the next turn and are still missing a color. I see it in Legacy too for some reason....

It only makes sense if you need the shuffle effect before you draw (Courser revealing poop, Top showed you bad things, etc.) or in Modern where you're avoiding taking two damage off a Shockland. THAT'S IT!

Yeah it's really weird. I've played miracles for a solid year now and it teaches you when and how to fetch. I can't fathom how people fetch carelessly in legacy unless stifle's been receding. It's still popular where I play so I still play around it like always.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ebethron posted:

It's also seeing play in that red one drops deck, and as the owner of an almost completely foiled monogreen Stompy deck in modern I can appreciate fancying up a budget deck. For whatever reason I had the impression that the FNM promos tended to be bad uncommons, but I was going through the spoiler for them on magiccards.info and they've actually been pretty decent cards for the most part. Maybe I was a little jaded because I started regularly winning them when Encroaching Wastes was the promo, but they've by and large been at least fringe playable cards. I thought having a promo for all the guilds was cool, I'm not sure what they could do for the KtK clans but I imagine they might try to work those in.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That said, hate the art.
:agreed:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it's really weird. I've played miracles for a solid year now and it teaches you when and how to fetch. I can't fathom how people fetch carelessly in legacy unless stifle's been receding. It's still popular where I play so I still play around it like always.

As someone who just started playing Legacy a few months ago, Stifle and Wasteland are scary as poo poo.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Man I hope I can keep up my streak for Khans Draft through December so I can get myself at least 2, if not a whole playset, of those Brain Maggots and Stokes.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

mcmagic posted:

As someone who just started playing Legacy a few months ago, Stifle and Wasteland are scary as poo poo.
As someone who plays stifle and wasteland... I love when opponents play around them and I don't even have it in my hand. Small things like playing a basic and limiting your turn 1 play by not playing a fetch/dual can have a large impact on the end result.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As someone who plays Death and Taxes, it's fantastic to play those basics.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

It would be fun to have a pedantic block with taxonomy-changing spells. Mycosynth lattice would be a sweet limited bomb.

If MTG is currently lacking anything it's pedants.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Vital Signs posted:

As someone who plays stifle and wasteland... I love when opponents play around them and I don't even have it in my hand. Small things like playing a basic and limiting your turn 1 play by not playing a fetch/dual can have a large impact on the end result.

This is the absolute truth. Google "Troll RUG Delver." It's probably the greatest MtG video ever produced, but one match (I think it's match 3 game 2?) will teach you why fetching basics against a Wasteland deck is a bad idea. The opponent is playing Deathblade and spends his first 3 fetches on his Esper colored basics. He ends up with 3 lands and the inability to cast none of his threats which all cost CC (Jace, Lili, etc.)

Treasure Cruise talk: It needs to be banned. I'm 16/19 in modern matches with my new deck playing against Treasure Cruise decks (13 UR Delver, 1 UR Solitaire, and the same UWR Delver guy twice, the others being Zoo, GR Tron and Scapeshift playing Dig.) I used to play against other decks. Now I just beat down on Delver. It's nice because free packs, but it's so boring. I was at the point last night where if I played 1 more Delver deck I was quitting modern until Cruise was banned. Which segues nicely into..

An interesting dilemma I ran into last night. My last match of the night was against Scapeshift. Game 3, he has enough Valakut triggers to kill me. But he only had 10 seconds left with half a dozen yet to be added to the stack plus 7 Courser triggers. He's so low on time because MTGO had apparently crashed twice in the first game. Given MTGO's blazing speed, obviously if I F6, I win. What do you do? Probably the best thing in terms of value is to F6, let him lose and tell him to file for reimbursement because of the crash. I ended up conceding with 5 seconds left once I counted 11 Valakut triggers, which was enough to kill me after the Lightning Helix in my hand.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I kind of want an alter of Treasure Cruise with the Duck Faygo Im-on-a-boat art

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm streaming 8-4 drafts at the moment, come see if my incredible run of bad luck continues! Getting mana flooded g3 of every set is the current goal.

https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

Looks like numot is in this draft too so watch him instead if that's your thing.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 23, 2014

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I kind of want an alter of Treasure Cruise with the Duck Faygo Im-on-a-boat art

Ironically, they used that art on the IDW version of High Tide, so you'd almost certainly never be able to play with it. I can't imagine altering the artwork of a card to be the artwork of another card would be tournament legal.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am still not convinced Treasure Cruise needs to be banned, basing anything off MTGO is going to skew results towards cheap decks, and U/R decks running it tend to be very cheap for Modern decks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

Treasure Cruise talk: It needs to be banned. I'm 16/19 in modern matches with my new deck playing against Treasure Cruise decks (13 UR Delver, 1 UR Solitaire, and the same UWR Delver guy twice, the others being Zoo, GR Tron and Scapeshift playing Dig.) I used to play against other decks. Now I just beat down on Delver. It's nice because free packs, but it's so boring. I was at the point last night where if I played 1 more Delver deck I was quitting modern until Cruise was banned. Which segues nicely into..

Unless Modern Cruise is actually overly strong--which your experiences seem to suggest is not the case, though on the other hand LSV just basically clowns on everyone with it in his videos--I'd rather not see the card banned in Modern soon, or at all. It seems like it might just be everyone jumping on a bandwagon, which is a problem that can solve itself.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Wow that was very thorough! Thanks, I'll definitely check those out.

Out of curiosity, have they ever printed a vampire card that lets you turn an enemy's creature into a vampire (in addition to its current creature types) and then gives you control of it? It seems like a thing that is bound to see print at some point.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

xeose4 posted:

Out of curiosity, have they ever printed a vampire card that lets you turn an enemy's creature into a vampire (in addition to its current creature types) and then gives you control of it? It seems like a thing that is bound to see print at some point.

Olivia Voldaren

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

xeose4 posted:

Olivia Voldaren
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=247235

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Maybe parallectric feedback/ignite memories storm will see a comeback vs. Cruise decks

I thought there was an essence backlash type counter spell for non creature spells but I couldn't find one

• Locked thread