Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cheekio posted:

It's not like accupunture and herbal medicine are equivalent to homeopathy. They hold up to double blind clinical trials; they're not scientifically derived but they're not a waste of tree bark either.

I'd very much like you to link or cite some of these double-blind clinical trials that acupuncture and herbal medicine hold up to; something printed in a reliable and significant medical journal.

Acupuncture itself, I can assure you that it does nothing but have some very vague pain relief effects, but the same effects can be measured by random needle insertion; it's nothing more than the well-recorded phenomenon that one source of pain will distract from another source of pain combined with a degree of placebo effect.

As for herbal medicine, some herbs might have some medicinal effect, but in a completely unpredictable manner because there's no way to control dosage of the active ingredients or the effects of other compounds present alongside whatever active ingredients are found in the herbs. It's like was mentioned earlier: some herbal medicinal treatments might indeed have some effect, but there's a reason we don't drink willow bark tea anymore in lieu of aspirin (because it will literally destroy your stomach lining, something that was well-reduced by turning willow bark into actual medicine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yes, when alternative medicine is effective there's a word for it: Medicine.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Green party is a loving joke. It's basically just Hippies: the Political Party. If you want to talk about "real" or at least somewhat effective environmentalists you need to look to the Sierra Club, Conservation International, National Audobon Society, et al.

This is absolutely true. While anti-GMO views are common among environmentalists (including ones I've worked with), anti-vaccine views are not, though anti-nuclear power beliefs are also common. I suppose it depends on how you want to define environmentalists. As things like conservation, "eco-friendly" stuff and generally respecting the environment become more widespread, what we think of as environmentalists will probably become more extreme, even though it's not really accurate.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's worth noting that the California Greens don't explicitly endorse anti-vaccine attitudes, but they do allude to it (on the same page I linked before):

quote:

The right to informed consent for any individual without force and without coercion relative to his/her own body for any medical, dental, pharmaceutical, or other procedure that involves body tissue/organ extraction, insertion, injection, sampling, or imaging. The informed consent must be verifiable, and neither forced nor coerced.

Mandatory vaccinations might fall under "injection under force/coercion", although this is probably not the intent of the above clause in the platform. Cultural competence of care (also mentioned) might also allude to it, however.

On the other hand, if we want something more concrete from the hippy side of things, there's always their plank to tax all media which features gratuitous violence with a 50% surtax.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Yes, when alternative medicine is effective there's a word for it: Medicine.

Alternative medicine is by definition either not proven to work, or proven not to work. As ReindeerF so astutely pointed out, when alternative medicine is proven to work, we call it medicine.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's worth noting that the California Greens don't explicitly endorse anti-vaccine attitudes, but they do allude to it (on the same page I linked before):

Mandatory vaccinations might fall under "injection under force/coercion", although this is probably not the intent of the above clause in the platform. Cultural competence of care (also mentioned) might also allude to it, however.

"Mandatory" vaccinations aren't actually mandatory though, and the paragraph you quoted just sounds like a very detailed version of informed consent, which is already pretty much sacrosanct in modern medicine.

e: the paragraph could certainly be a dog whistle for vaccine and conspiracy nuts, though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Jeanne Shaheen is only 2.5 points over carpet bagging moron Scott Brown in the RCP avg of polls. If that isn't a sign of a miserable election day for dems than nothing is. That should be a 15 point race in that state.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

A 15 point race in a state that Obama only won by 5 in 2012?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

A 15 point race in a state that Obama only won by 5 in 2012?

She's a non relatively controversial senator who's approval ratings in the state were around 60% at the beginning of the year and Scott Brown is a carpet bagging moron. Maybe it shouldn't be 15% but it shouldn't be close.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
http://www.news4jax.com/politics/rick-scott-to-write-check-for-reelection-bid/29296068

quote:

Gov. Rick Scott, who reportedly spent about $73 million of his own money to get elected in 2010, will soon dip into his personal wealth in an effort to retain the Governor's Mansion.

Scott will write a check to the Republican Party of Florida to assist his re-election effort against Democratic challenger Charlie Crist, Jackie Schutz, a spokeswoman for Scott's campaign, confirmed Wednesday.

The Miami Herald reported earlier Wednesday that Scott told WFOR-TV news reporter Jim DeFede that he "will be investing" in the campaign. DeFede's report is scheduled to air Sunday. Schutz wouldn't say how much the check would total. But Schutz added in an email that the governor told DeFede that the money is "a small fraction of our total campaign" and will be used to "counteract the smear campaign from Charlie's radical left-wing guy from California."

NextGen Climate Action Committee-Florida, founded by California billionaire Tom Steyer, has spent at least $9.44 million on such things as advertising, mail pieces and grassroots efforts that target Scott because of the governor's views on climate change.

Scott was worth $132.7 million as of Dec. 13, 2013, according to his annual financial disclosure filed with the Department of State.

The amount of Scott's check may not be known until Oct. 31, when the Republican Party is next required to file a finance report. The Crowley Political Report last week posted that Republican Party sources claimed Scott would put about $20 million into the campaign.

Sweet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Scott using the money he stole from Medicaid to try to buy another term. Isn't US democracy grand?

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
In another article he was whining about Crist's "billionaire backer."

It's not surprising in light of his latest ad, where Scott pretends Crist is running tons of attack ads while Scott is playing nice.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mcmagic posted:

She's a non relatively controversial senator who's approval ratings in the state were around 60% at the beginning of the year and Scott Brown is a carpet bagging moron. Maybe it shouldn't be 15% but it shouldn't be close.

From what I have read (and heard) is that congress's approval is so bad that everyone is hurting for it. Also, Scott Brown dropped the pretense and went full racist in NH because it's NH and seeing anyone other than white outside of Manchester is like finding a unicorn.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

mcmagic posted:

But he isn't a moron, he's a boring moderate NE Republican who became infamous for winning an unwinnable special election with a pickup truck-based campaign. Shaheen's an incumbent, who are not having fun this cycle. See also: McConnell only being up by 3 in Kentucky. And nobody will give a poo poo that he lived in Massachusetts, just like nobody here would if the Super-Leftist moved from an adjacent state and ran for their Senate seat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

But he isn't a moron, he's a boring moderate NE Republican who became infamous for winning an unwinnable special election with a pickup truck-based campaign. Shaheen's an incumbent, who are not having fun this cycle. See also: McConnell only being up by 3 in Kentucky. And nobody will give a poo poo that he lived in Massachusetts, just like nobody here would if the Super-Leftist moved from an adjacent state and ran for their Senate seat.

Have you actually watched him speak for more than 1 second? He's one of the emptyest suits in public life. His election in MA was a perfect storm of political climate and incompetent opponent so i wouldn't read much into that. And if you think that no one gives a poo poo that he's carpet bagging you're just wrong. It's been a huge issue in the race.

The Shaheen/McConnell comparison isn't a good one. Shaheen isn't 15 points underwater in popularity in her state the way McConnell is.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Jeanne Shaheen is only 2.5 points over carpet bagging moron Scott Brown in the RCP avg of polls. If that isn't a sign of a miserable election day for dems than nothing is. That should be a 15 point race in that state.

Welp a new poll just posted so now it's down to 1.6

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The guy won in Massachusetts. He's a carpet-bagger yes, but he's also quite skilled at playing a reasonable republican. Don't underestimate him (despite Coakley busily proving that no, it wasn't a fluke she lost).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

The guy won in Massachusetts. He's a carpet-bagger yes, but he's also quite skilled at playing a reasonable republican. Don't underestimate him (despite Coakley busily proving that no, it wasn't a fluke she lost).

I think I'm perfectly fine in underestimating him. I just try to make sure that I don't underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Idran posted:

I'd very much like you to link or cite some of these double-blind clinical trials that acupuncture and herbal medicine hold up to; something printed in a reliable and significant medical journal.

Sure, here's a couple of studies where accupuncture is tested vs fake needling and appears to have effects against chronic lower back pain, tension headaches, and here's a study testing echenecea vs cold symptoms. All show statistically significant improvements vs their control groups.

Idran posted:

Acupuncture itself, I can assure you that it does nothing but have some very vague pain relief effects, but the same effects can be measured by random needle insertion; it's nothing more than the well-recorded phenomenon that one source of pain will distract from another source of pain combined with a degree of placebo effect.

If you could drum up some evidence to substantiate the well-recorded phenomena you're talking about, that would help me understand your point.

Idran posted:

As for herbal medicine, some herbs might have some medicinal effect, but in a completely unpredictable manner because there's no way to control dosage of the active ingredients or the effects of other compounds present alongside whatever active ingredients are found in the herbs. It's like was mentioned earlier: some herbal medicinal treatments might indeed have some effect, but there's a reason we don't drink willow bark tea anymore in lieu of aspirin (because it will literally destroy your stomach lining, something that was well-reduced by turning willow bark into actual medicine).

The most herbal of herbal medicines: Smoking pot has a number of positive health effects, and I don't think there's a dosage, or active ingredient, or predictability issue.

Edit: My point is, again, herbal medicine != homeopathy. People aren't idiots for taking echenecea.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 23, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Cheekio posted:

Sure, here's a couple of studies where accupuncture is tested vs fake needling and appears to have effects against chronic lower back pain, tension headaches,

Oh dear. First, acupuncture's publication bias is strong and well-known. These meta-analyses (both of which only find tiny positive results) also pool together studies using different types of sham acupuncture as the controls. Some did needle insertion at the "wrong" points, while others did superficial needle poking. The latter (besides making it impossible to blind the caregiver) also only shows efficacy of sticking needles in, not "meridians." Finally, both meta-analyses had experienced acupuncturists rate how good the technique was of the studies, and they disagreed with each other quite a bit.

quote:

and here's a study testing echenecea vs cold symptoms. All show statistically significant improvements vs their control groups.

Which disappears in the meta-analysis: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000530.pub3/abstract

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

To explain why the "alternative medicine" can find statistically significant results - statistically significant simply means that, assuming the null hypothesis (that the thing is worthless compared to a placebo) you'd get the result you got by chance only one out of 20-100 times (depending on the confidence interval used). But when you've got something with as much quacks believing in it as this, you're going to have 20-100 studies, and therefore one, by chance, will appear statistically significant. You pick that one, ignore the rest, and it seems proven. You notice the other failed tests, and you can figure out what happened.

That said, this is a better subject for a different thread.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Sam Wang is listing possible governor changes (most of which are to Dems): http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119926/2014-midterm-elections-republican-wave-wont-include-governorships

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

New Hampshire is ground zero for carpetbagging morons though. Brown's found his natural constituency.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

evilweasel posted:

That said, this is a better subject for a different thread.

Here's a thread destined to be abandoned:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675600

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Isn't Oregon down by a lot now too?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

computer parts posted:

Isn't Oregon down by a lot now too?

No, the poll that was released today asked a sub-sample of 407 people who said they had been following the news about the Governor's wife whether that news would change the way they voted and 18% of those people said they'd flip to voting Republican over it, but the sample wasn't a likely, or even registered, voter screen and the sample is too small to be representative of public opinion.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeff McCormick, independent candidate for MA governor, is basically Nelson Mandela, according to Morgan Freeman impersonator hired to narrate Jeff's ad.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Not really important to anything, but I found the following funny. So CT is also voting on an amendment to the state constitution to expand absentee voting(basically to make it so anyone can mail in a ballot if they feel like it. So, how's the Republican take on this? Let's check out the party's chairmen from New Haven, where about 9 Republicans live in a city of 130,000.

quote:

Republican Town Chair Richter Elser (who did not attend the forum) said he too is unconcerned about increased fraud. He noted that “everything seems to work fine” in early-voting mail-in states like Oregon. He worries more about opportunities for fraud under the current law allowing same-day voter registration on Election Day, he said. “We depend on older, retired individuals who are putting in very long hours and have very good intentions” to run the polls. Question #1’s passage would offer a better alternative for enabling more people to vote, he said. “In general, anything that increases participation is good,” Elser said.

Alright, I mean I still think he's spouting BS about same-day registration but he's being practical. What about the state party chairman, a guy who doesn't have to deal with a city that voted 9-1 for Obama.

quote:

The state’s Republican Party chairman, Jerry Labriola, said in an interview that he sees no reason to “tinker with the Constitution” in this case.

“The best way to ensure open and fair elections is to have an election day with polling places. It ensures the proper checks and balances. It’s extraordinarily easy to register to vote and vote during a 14-hour election day,” Labriola said. “It takes a few minutes. We allow fairly easy absentee ballots already.”

Labriola noted that “certainly New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford have very dubious records regarding the enforcement of election laws,” Labriola observed. He said he believes Democrats have an “ulterior motive” with this amendment: “to eliminate the traditional election day as we know it. The Democrats believe that by changing the system, they will make one-party Democrat rule permanent.”

Our sacred constitutional election day! Voter Fraud! Democrats! Urban places!(weird how voter fraud only seems to happen in places that are less than 40% white)! :byodood:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Has Dick "Toejam" Morris weighed in with any hilarious 2014 Senate/Governor predictions?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FMguru posted:

Has Dick "Toejam" Morris weighed in with any hilarious 2014 Senate/Governor predictions?

None that I know of, but about a month ago I saw a CNBC ad advertising his book on how Obama's trying to destroy the Republican Party or some poo poo like that.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

FMguru posted:

Mitt Romney will win by 6 points

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FMguru posted:

He's too busy shilling his new book about how Obama and Hillary are tag teaming the very foundations of the two party system by trying to destroy the republicans and establish themselves as tyrants.

Dick "literally lost his job because he couldn't keep his foot fetish in check, there's no glib nickname that captures this right" Morris is saying that because the right reacts so horribly to the mere thought of calling a black man 'sir' or taking orders from a woman, it's the fault of the black man and woman for putting themselves in public.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Dick "literally lost his job because he couldn't keep his foot fetish in check, there's no glib nickname that captures this right" Morris
He lost his job because he couldn't stop blabbing confidential White House secrets to a prostitute to impress her.

Again: he blew up his career in order to impress a hooker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FMguru posted:

He lost his job because he couldn't stop blabbing confidential White House secrets to a prostitute to impress her.

Again: he blew up his career in order to impress a hooker.

God drat I forgot that he didn't lose his job because he wouldn't stop going to foot hookers, but because he couldn't stop trying to impress them with his insider knowledge. Literally every post about Morris makes him sadder and sadder.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

For CT goons, if you want more in the saga of Tom Foley being such an empty suit he makes Mitt Romney look principled.....

http://ctmirror.org/foley-struggles-on-a-deep-dive-into-housing-policy/

Christ, the guy didn't even know in CT unlike most states public housing is in good part a state responsibility.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

While you can find idiots behind every issue, there are of course actual reasons not to expand this specific pipeline. Particularly the environmental risk of this particular kind of crude crossing wilderness and American complicity in the consequences of the oil sands being the biggest. But I imagine that since we can't get a carbon tax and our other pipelines are leaking, we might as well do nothing right?

Which leaks less? Old, sometimes half a century old, pipelines with little opportunity for full shutdown and refit + rail and road transport or new pipelines which will allow rerouting around the existing ones?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Nintendo Kid posted:

Which leaks less? Old, sometimes half a century old, pipelines with little opportunity for full shutdown and refit + rail and road transport or new pipelines which will allow rerouting around the existing ones?

Dunno, were the old ones made well and the new one designed-by and built-by people like the ones behind the F-35? Its not like new is always better when design and work are going to the lowest bidder.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's a false dichotomy since pipelines don't magically all go the same places and pipeline companies can repair their current ones if they wanted to spend the money. And its not like Chevron will get to shut down their old pipelines just because Transcanada has a new pipeline, instead they'll both get used.

So to answer your question: old pipe will leak less than old pipe and new pipe both operating together. [.1 < .1 + .0001, QED]

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well, seeing as how TransCanada already does its best to cut corners when building pipelines, the new ones probably leak at least as much or more.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-30/the-real-reason-keystone-xl-might-fail

BusinessWeek posted:

During one week in September, 72 percent, or almost three-quarters, of the welds on the “safest pipeline in the world” required redoing. (TransCanada, for its part, says it has addressed the PHMSA’s concerns, and you can read its response in writing here [PDF].) Throughout the Keystone XL fight, TransCanada has maintained that the chance of a spill is remote, and that its pipelines are state-of-the-art. But the implications of TransCanada’s inferior welding on its Southern leg are precisely why the Keystone XL has met with such fierce resistance on the ground in Nebraska. It’s there the planned pipe will pass over the Ogallala aquifer, which irrigates much of the Great Plains, and directly and indirectly supports millions of American jobs—and that’s not counting all the drinking water.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

That's a false dichotomy since pipelines don't magically all go the same places and pipeline companies can repair their current ones if they wanted to spend the money. And its not like Chevron will get to shut down their old pipelines just because Transcanada has a new pipeline, instead they'll both get used.

So to answer your question: old pipe will leak less than old pipe and new pipe both operating together. [.1 < .1 + .0001, QED]

It's not a false dichotomy, the Keystone XL project is explicitly about providing an alternate route to the Keystone Pipeline that already exists.

You are wrong.

• Locked thread