Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Joementum posted:

Reagan's American Confederacy of Individual States in a Theocratic Society

This is the perfect name for a glorious new union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Will my guns get the suffrage in RACIST?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

zoux posted:

Lol at this former Reagan aide.

To summarize, this guy who was presumably vetted and employed by the most powerful man in the world and participated in high level meetings regarding the welfare of literally every person on the planet believes the South should secede over gay rights and create a new nation named Reagan.

Forums poster Third World [Reagan] would have a truly visionary name in this fantasy future.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Will my guns get the suffrage in RACIST?

You get one vote per gun and the total amount gained is unlimited.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hey Joementum, I think we got an early favorite for quote of the day?

You know, we say things like "jaw dropping" a lot. It's hyperbole, of course. Except this time, my jaw literally dropped. Like, I'm sitting there at work in my cube, mouth hanging open like I just had a stroke and can't control it. He hand-waved suicide away as the fault of welfare.

I just... how. How do these people get involved in politics. How.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Chokes McGee posted:

You know, we say things like "jaw dropping" a lot. It's hyperbole, of course. Except this time, my jaw literally dropped. Like, I'm sitting there at work in my cube, mouth hanging open like I just had a stroke and can't control it. He hand-waved suicide away as the fault of welfare.

Because a ridiculous amount of Americans actually share his viewpoint? We Americans don't really deal well with mental health issues at all.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Antti posted:

Well we call it a "travel document" when it's a not-really-a-passport but this is a dumb derail.

Regardless the passport card is bona fide ID within the US so yes you should be able to vote with it. You might not be able to vote in EU elections with it (if you are living in an EU country), though!

The problem with the passport card as voting ID is though that it doesn't mention your place of residence. So I'd imagine you'll still need a utility bill or something like that. Most American DLs I've seen have the owner's address.

That always struck me as a little dumb, you just apply for a new one whenever you move?, over here it's solved by having a national population register that keeps track of where everyone is domiciled.

My DL has the same address I had almost two decades ago because renewing it was dropping off twenty bucks, taking a picture, done.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chokes McGee posted:

He claimed to have killed a guy last week so that quote isn't the most shocking thing he's said in the past 2 weeks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

My DL has the same address I had almost two decades ago because renewing it was dropping off twenty bucks, taking a picture, done.

My DL has an out of date address because California DMV's are so backed up it'd take me the better part of a day to renew it, even if I registered in advance online.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Here you don't actually have to get a new license as long as you update DMV with your new address within 10 days of moving. You can even do it online, which is surprisingly convenient and hassle-free.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Time for the next chapter in the deification/hero worhship of Ronald Reagan, peace be upon him.

Former Reagan and Bush sr. speechwriter wants South to secede, new country should be called Reagan

quote:

A growing number of our leaders seem determined to erase our borders,” he wrote in a recent syndicated column promoting his book, “do away with the rule-of-law, expand the nanny state into a theology, bankrupt or punish American companies in the name of fighting climate change, do away with the 2nd Amendment, censor or demonize the history of western civilization and replace it with multiculturalism, give every kid a trophy and turn them into wimps, continue to support the completely unfunded public-employee pensions which are destroying the financial solvency of cities, counties, and states across our nation, add billions every day to our $17 trillion in debt, destroy our health-care system to substitute socialized medicine, vilify fossil fuels, and attack all faith in God with a particular and unhinged bias against the Christian faith.

Also, gently caress Lincoln. A message you don't hear every day.

quote:

He argued on the radio program that the South had “seceded legally” and “peacefully” in the months prior to the Civil War.

“President Lincoln waged an illegal war that was, in fact, not declared against the South after the South basically did what we’re talking about in this book now in terms of peacefully, legally and constitutionally leaving the union,” MacKinnon said.

However, MacKinnon brushed aside Mefford’s concerns that secession would trigger another Civil War, saying only that “it wouldn’t remotely come to that” because news coverage is faster and more thorough in modern times.

He said the new country should be called Reagan, at least until voters there could decide on a permanent name.

Edit: bah, way too late with this fun little tidbit.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 23, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Sydin posted:

My DL has an out of date address because California DMV's are so backed up it'd take me the better part of a day to renew it, even if I registered in advance online.

Last time I went I was in and out in 20 minutes :shrug:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SubponticatePoster posted:

Pretty sure individual US states don't own nukes. Besides, then we can invade them for having WMD's as a pretense :getin:

New York might. We have an army, navy, and air force.
(We... probably... don't. But I know a guy... he can get one for you wholesale.)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nutranurse posted:

Because a ridiculous amount of Americans actually share his viewpoint? We Americans don't really deal well with mental health issues at all.

That's what happens when you stuff a bunch of hyper-religious goobers in a boat for two months and then let them found a country when they land. Injuns should've done the world a favor while they still had the chance.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Here you don't actually have to get a new license as long as you update DMV with your new address within 10 days of moving. You can even do it online, which is surprisingly convenient and hassle-free.

Yeah, not sure where you are at but that is true in iowa, so I don't actually have the address on my ID matching my DMV and voter registration database entries.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, not sure where you are at but that is true in iowa, so I don't actually have the address on my ID matching my DMV and voter registration database entries.
Utah. We do a lot of dumb poo poo, but the state's website is surprisingly functional and you can do lots of things with it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

Lol at this former Reagan aide.

To summarize, this guy who was presumably vetted and employed by the most powerful man in the world and participated in high level meetings regarding the welfare of literally every person on the planet believes the South should secede over gay rights and create a new nation named Reagan.

Forget Clinton or any other woman. I want to see a Hispanic democrat win in 2016. Ideally someone who's a 2nd or maybe 3rd generation Mexican-American.

I'd say this guy's zealotry is part of why Reagan hired him. I do appreciate that he's not even trying to cloak the racism&bigotry one-two punch.

zoux posted:

The worst was when he spelled his name to the police he used the NATO phonetic alphabet to hint that he was "one of them". Also he purposely gave them a false last name.

Track's stupid enough that I can believe they unintentionally misspelled their own name.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Evil Fluffy posted:

Track's stupid enough that I can believe they unintentionally misspelled their own name.

Palimo is probably the codename for their limo.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or stupid enough to think that nobody would notice he's the only member of his family to give a fake last name.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Good. GTFO

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zeroisanumber posted:

Reagan also nominated Robert Bork to SCOTUS, and Bork was a frothing religious lunatic.

quote:

This one, however, will be nuclear. As an example of judicial incontinence, it will rival Roe v. Wade , and will deal a severe and quite possibly fatal blow to two already badly damaged but indispensable institutions”marriage and the rule of law in constitutional interpretation.

The wreckage may be subtler but more widespread even than that.

Gay marriage.

It will be subtle.

Subtle like a nuclear explosion.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell was arrested recently and plead guilty to corruption charges today. Of course he gets no jail time but is going to be acting as an informant for the plethora of other corruption investigations in my state.

There is a chance Nikky Haley gets caught in it, she was caught red handed as acting as a lobbyist a couple years ago stemming from when she was governor but skated on the state investigation because of more corruption. Harrell's arrest was amazingly a state investigation too but there is an open secret that a Federal investigation is going one too.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/23/3763350/from-powerful-official-to-government.html?sp=%2F99%2F205%2F&ihp=1

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 23, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shbobdb posted:

Clearly you don't understand inflation. If we just handed out money to everybody prices would rise. But if we give money to specific organizations that know how to spend it, we will all be richer. A rising tide lifts all boats.

We need to change it to "a rising boat lifts all tides".

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lamentable dustman posted:

South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell was arrested recently and plead guilty to corruption charges today. Of course he gets no jail time but is going to be acting as an informant for the plethora of other corruption investigations in my state.

There is a chance Nikky Haley gets caught in it, she was caught red handed as acting as a lobbyist a couple years ago stemming from when she was governor but skated on the state investigation because of more corruption. Harrell's arrest was amazingly a state investigation too but there is an open secret that a Federal investigation is going one too.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/23/3763350/from-powerful-official-to-government.html?sp=%2F99%2F205%2F&ihp=1

See? Gay marriage is legal for less than two weeks...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

richardfun posted:

Time for the next chapter in the deification/hero worhship of Ronald Reagan, peace be upon him.

Former Reagan and Bush sr. speechwriter wants South to secede, new country should be called Reagan

Also, gently caress Lincoln. A message you don't hear every day.

Edit: bah, way too late with this fun little tidbit.

These people should have the states have the right to suck it image tattooed on their foreheads.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Forget Clinton or any other woman. I want to see a Hispanic democrat win in 2016. Ideally someone who's a 2nd or maybe 3rd generation Mexican-American.

Why hello. The misogyny is coming from inside the thread.

You do realize there are Hispanic women, right?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

McAlister posted:

Name some Hispanic women prominent enough for a presidential campaign. Is Sotamayor going to resign her sweet lifetime gig or something?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
RBG/Sotamayor 2016.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

So will the feds let him walk if he's informing for the state or can the Feds still decide "yeah we're going to put you in prison" even if it could be seen as a dick move from a legal perspective?

e:

McAlister posted:

Why hello. The misogyny is coming from inside the thread.

You do realize you're missing my point, right? The GOP freak out over a hispanic, of any gender, would be far worse than how they act about a potential Clinton run.

Or you could continue crying about misogyny that isn't there despite your desire for it.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 23, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Sydin posted:

RBG/Sotomayor 2016.

Reverse that and I'm down.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Name some Hispanic women prominent enough for a presidential campaign.

Susana Martinez

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Name some Hispanic women prominent enough for a presidential campaign. Is Sotamayor going to resign her sweet lifetime gig or something?

Cause people we've never heard of before don't come out of loving nowhere in the primaries.

That never happens. No matter how young and charismatic they are.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
e: Obama wasn't unheard of, he made quite a splash in 2004 at the DNC IIRC

Gee, that wouldn't be the same guy who said the charges were a "political witch hunt" just a couple days ago or am I getting my indicted Republicans mixed up again (that's not partisan, I often get my indicted Democrats mixed up too)?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

McAlister posted:

Cause people we've never heard of before don't come out of loving nowhere in the primaries.

That never happens. No matter how young and charismatic they are.

Obama didn't come out of the primaries, he made his national debut at the 2004 DNC with a great speech. He wasn't some unknown in 08.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Gee, that wouldn't be the same guy who said the charges were a "political witch hunt" just a couple days ago or am I getting my indicted Republicans mixed up again (that's not partisan, I often get my indicted Democrats mixed up too)?

I believe that was newly indicted Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
See? Mixed up! Thank you.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Pope Guilty posted:

Obama didn't come out of the primaries, he made his national debut at the 2004 DNC with a great speech. He wasn't some unknown in 08.

And Herman Cain's political resume was ...?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

McAlister posted:

Ah yes, the triumphant political success story that was Herman Cain.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

McAlister posted:

I think most people read an implicit "viable" into your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

You do realize you're missing my point, right? The GOP freak out over a hispanic, of any gender, would be far worse than how they act about a potential Clinton run.

If what you wrote wasn't what you meant then fix it. There is an edit button. Getting snippy because you typed "or any other woman" but didn't actually mean it is silly.

• Locked thread