Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Supposedly last week of October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
last week of October is probably still end times for fantasy.

got my copy of IA 13 today. really looking forward to playing my chaos more with this.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
New faqs are out I hear.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nothing really of note though in them, only thing that really changed was the Imperial Knight getting a fix for moving through heavy terrain. However, for whatever reason they buffed Khorne Chariots.

Which is unusual for a FAQ to just be like " Here's some new rules".

My only gripe right now is all the drat awesome models thatare coming out for Fantasy, those loving Nurgle models are so drat boss. I just wish we got them in 40k. :(

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 23, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I occasionally run a Skull Cannon of Khorne, so it's kinda neat to get d6 S7 HoW hits and now an additional 4 S5 AP3 attacks at WS5I4. Considering it's primarily a ranged cannon it's nice to have the backup of being able to run down 3-5 MEq a turn.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
I get that arbitrary list restrictions are often poorly thought out or unfair, but I see no problem with running a tournament where players are encouraged to bring units that aren't normally included in a given army list.

I play Dark Angels but would never bring a Nephilim Fighter, Dark Talon, Land Speeder Vengeance, or Deathwing Knight squad. Doesn't mean I don't own the models - I have the flyer magnetized for both options, my Dark Shroud is magnetized for Vengeance, and I could just pretend my fancy terminators are Knights? But it'd be nice to have a reason to play with them.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

DJ Dizzy posted:

Grey Knights are allowed 12. Heh.

But then there's a cap of TEN terminators?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

last week of October is probably still end times for fantasy.

got my copy of IA 13 today. really looking forward to playing my chaos more with this.

Baby, don't tease me like this!

What are the deets on relic chaos preditor and sicaran tanks??

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Baby, don't tease me like this!

What are the deets on relic chaos preditor and sicaran tanks??

They're pretty much c/ps from the legion books, with the exception that their vehicle upgrades are pretty much all from CSM (possession, havoc launchers, dirge casters, the works)(the Sicaran can also take Armored Ceramite). Predator has the Legion weapon options but it's auto cannon gets inferno bolts free. Pretty much every vehicle in the book can take malefic ammunition for a cost (gives certain weapons rending). Predators can't be taken in squadrons compared to 30k.

They're both Infernal Relics, which means you need to take a Warpsmith/Abbadon/Sorceror with...malefic(??? Why is this an option just do this one) if you want to take more than just one.

All in all, it's a really good book and the legacies of ruin are sweet. Can't wait to give my Death Guard rending just by being near a Typhon. At least it gives us something regular Space Marines don't get.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Fire Raptor is loving insane even better than the Space Marine one I've always hated the Heldrake, unless it's converted.

This motherfucker has the ability to have double Reaper turrets and missiles. I think it came out to be able to have 6 ST6 AP3 + 7 ST7 AP4 + 4 Missiles. 2 of the weapons can fire independently. Its pretty awesome.

The Sicaran is pure awesome as well.

Still waiting on my book as well, super stoked though.

This has the breakdown of the book if you're just curious.

http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/10/imperial-armor-13-review/

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 23, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cool thanks guys. Basically all the cool 30k stuff you can have in a chaos army now with more-or-less the same options. Looks like the real winner are Chaos rapier batteries that can slap on reaper autocannons in addition to the regular legion stuff. Hellbaldes are good, which rocks, but the talon is still pretty :flaccid:

Bummer that forgeworld still can't balance their chaos walkers. It's ok though. I've got 30k in 40k.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah , I'd have liked to have seen more of the Lost and the Damned stuff in regards to Beastmen etc.. but from I've read the list looks really cool.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I need all y'all peoples help.

I will be participating in a tournament rather shortly (next month) and I am having some trouble deciding on my army list.

These are the restrictions I have to deal with:
*deletia*

Hmmm. I'm gonna have to with other folks here- that list is not gonna do well, I don't think. You're really short on bodies and you just kinda have a mish-mash of units that don't sync with each other well. Obviously the absurd, Alice-in-Wonderland list of demands the TO has put out doesn't help that any, but I think it's possible to work around that. I'm not really sure what models you have access to, though, so what I'm throwing down here is gonna be completely theoretical.

code:
Chapter Tactic: White Scars (Iron Hands could work in theory, also)
1 Chapter Master (Bike, Artificer Armor, Storm Shield, Power Fist)
8 Bikes (2 Grav Guns, Combi-Grav, Attack Bike w/Multimelta) 
8 Bikes (2 Plasmaguns, Combi-Plasma, Meltabombs, Attack Bike w/Multimelta)
8 Bikes (2 Meltaguns, Meltabombs)
1 Stormtalon (Skyhammer)
1 Thunderfire Cannon

1 Knight Paladin
Should be 1500 on the nose, unless I'm remembering some numbers wrong. I dunno if you actually have access to those bikes and Knight, but that would be my "ideal" list for SM in a format like that. Another variant might run three Bike squads plus two Rhino units using Khan (and maybe a Drop Pod or two), essentially looking to overwhelm the enemy early with lots of Scouting stuff. You could also do some shenanigans by combining multiple codices together- take two Drop Pods from SM plus two from BA plus two from SW or whatnot, depending on the exact wording of the rules.

Direwolf posted:

I get that arbitrary list restrictions are often poorly thought out or unfair, but I see no problem with running a tournament where players are encouraged to bring units that aren't normally included in a given army list.

I fully encourage the use of units that don't get seen as often, but the problem is that restrictions like the ones above usually don't do what the organizers want because they don't really understand the consequences of the rules they are applying. For example, the list I wrote above is wholly within the restrictions listed, but is still quite strong and includes virtually all of the elements about the "fast bike SM list" that people tend to dislike without ever actually crossing the line. The rules prohibit putting the Shield Eternal on a guy, so I just took a normal Storm Shield- 90% of the time, it's just as good. I can only have three of a particular squad, so I took three units that are actually more than that thanks to Combat Squads. Etc.

Writing "comp" restrictions like these is very, very difficult to do and almost inevitably something that can be broken by a competent player, at which point you are right back where you started only everyone is following a bunch of weird and arbitrary rules and can't play the army they want. I've reviewed probably a dozen or more different variants of such systems, from the relatively simple to the extraordinarily complex, and not one of them has actually stopped me from being able to write up a list that is likely to "break" the system just as badly as the then-standing power lists did to regular 40K. I won't say it's literally impossible, but I've never seen it work before and I don't really ever expect to- there's just too many hurdles in the way.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Blastmasters on dreads might be nifty, since they are basically battlecannons that ignore cover. Depending on the cost it could make for a fun core to your army- MSU noise marine troops and some dreads to march alongside of them.

Now if only they brought back the mutated hull rule :(

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BULBASAUR posted:

Blastmasters on dreads might be nifty, since they are basically battlecannons that ignore cover.

They use the small blast, so that's a bit of a stretch. But otherwise, I agree.

The new IA book sounds so great.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got my copy of IA13 and as soon as my kid is asleep I'll be tearing into that thing.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

DJ Dizzy posted:

Murderfang delivers 8-10 s8 ap2 mastercrafted shred attacks on the charge. The flyer of doom has 2 twinlinked multi meltas, a twinlinked lascannon and a doomgun that can either shoot S6 AP3 small blast, or S8 AP1, both with the helfrost special rule that says if you suffer an unsaved wound, take a strength test or immediately be removed from the battle. It's also 12 12 12 with ceramite plating and has power of the machine spirit. Oh and its an assault vehicle with 16 transport capacity.

Why aren't you hanging out on irc with the other euro warhams goons? #tinypewtermen on irc.synirc.net

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whilst only tangentially linked to warhammer, we play a bunch of hero quest in our latest AoA video.

http://youtu.be/BB0bqPZrYiY

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Whilst only tangentially linked to warhammer, we play a bunch of hero quest in our latest AoA video.

http://youtu.be/BB0bqPZrYiY

Was sooooo great!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Frobbe posted:

Why aren't you hanging out on irc with the other euro warhams goons? #tinypewtermen on irc.synirc.net

Because I got banned :smith:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

DJ Dizzy posted:

Because I got banned :smith:

Hah, i asked about that and all i got was "who?" unless you managed to get banned from synIRC in general.

In other news, i've ordered a Plastic commmisar. what a world we live in when GW makes plastic models that come in blisters!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Nah, just tinypewtermen.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Foul Ole Ron posted:

a killy archon and court in a venom.

I'm really interested on how people are running courts, especially small ones. Can you elaborate with your load-out, your plan and what actually happened?

Regarding That One Tournament A Goon Is Going To, I personally don't have a problem with Highlander rules at all. Compulsive minmaxers get an excuse to play something different without feeling like they're intentionally playing a bad list, and everyone else doesn't have to build their lists around countering the same lists they play against all the time anyway. It shakes things up, and let's be honest here. At the very worst overall game balance remains the same. Usually I don't like people adding composition rules on top of Highlander, but it seems like this TO only introduced some minor tweaks that address some common Highlander loopholes without just being a huge list of forbidden units.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hmm... after some number crunching, I came up with an idea.

Pedro

8 sternguards with 1xCombiMelta and 2xMelta in a drop pod
Ironclad in drop pod

2x10 tacticals in party busses with plasma guns

3 gravcents
vindicator
thunderfire cannon

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 23, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I intend to go with 5 Sslyth, 3 Medusae, and an Archon in a Raider with splinter racks. Lots of poison 4+ shots, three AP3 templates, majority T of 5. And a non-scattering deepstrike to get them where I need them.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I intend to go with 5 Sslyth, 3 Medusae, and an Archon in a Raider with splinter racks. Lots of poison 4+ shots, three AP3 templates, majority T of 5. And a non-scattering deepstrike to get them where I need them.

Meant to try this last night, I think my Raider swarm list is pretty nailed down, I can vary it for points by adding or removing a Raider or Razorwing.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Someone was telling me about a unit where you run a 3 man broadside unit with missiles and missile drones, then you take a commander with a drone controller to buff them. Has anyone encountered this unit and have more info on it?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

40 is a lot to deal with, just for you as the person playing. 30 is the right balance between durability and maneuvering in my experience. You'll want a Priest or Commissar with them too, since you don't want 40ish dudes just up and running. Commissars also help with leadership, which makes them better for a unit you want to use orders on. If you're going to put autocannon teams on the backfield squad, you might as well give them plasma guns too - they'll be shooting lots of S7 fire every turn that way. At the very least give them grenade launchers for the extra S6 shots or S3 small blasts that take forever and don't do anything. I feel with IG if you can take a neat gun, take it, with the exception of officers.

I agree that 30 is the right size, it covers an insane amount of ground when fully spread out. I am also going to experiment with just 20 for squads that I know are going to sit back and not try for forward objectives. Every blob absolutely should have a commissar or a priest. I am not so sure that plasmaguns are worth it on backfield squads, 15 pts is a lot if you are unlikely to get in rapid fire range. But I do strongly agree with the maxim that the only upgrade IG armies should take is weapons, and every soldier that can carry a special/heavy weapon should have one. (exception is CCSs, who can just hide instead)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
20 works for backfield squads; I run a 20 man blob in my retro Cadians since they're meant to hold down the fort while the Ultramarines go forth and kick rear end. 30 is a must if you're advancing. As for plasma being too expensive for a backfield squad, I wouldn't exactly disagree, but it does work nicely with autocannons. Grenade launchers may be the more reasonable alternative. I usually give my CCS a lascannon and a Master of Ordnance so they can Bring it Down! on a vehicle somewhere and I can twin link that sweet artillery scatter to make it land where I want. My Cadian CCS is just plasma guns though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Hra Mormo posted:

I'm really interested on how people are running courts, especially small ones. Can you elaborate with your load-out, your plan and what actually happened?

Ran a Archon with a Shadow field, 4+fear armour, anti-psy helm, husk blade, wwp and soul trap. Backing him up were 3 Sslyth and one of lamhaens(what ever they are called) and I dropped them all in a venom.

The turn I landed my Sslyth pumped carbine shots into a blob of grey knight termis, killy several and then went on to tank wounds for the lord et al. This allowed my Archon to weather clshooting until he got into close combat. There he ate a librarian and unit champion, buffing his strenght up to 6. He got smashed in the next shooting phase after I forgot the shadow field now lasts until the end of the phase but over all he was a beast and the court helped him get where he needed to go, while doing damage themselves.

For small units, 3 Sslyth are a must.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

rjderouin posted:

Someone was telling me about a unit where you run a 3 man broadside unit with missiles and missile drones, then you take a commander with a drone controller to buff them. Has anyone encountered this unit and have more info on it?

Well the Drone Controller doesn't work on Missile Drones, sooooooo...

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
I suppose then that person was probably cheating. Was that FAQd and it used to work or what?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ran a Archon with a Shadow field, 4+fear armour, anti-psy helm, husk blade, wwp and soul trap. Backing him up were 3 Sslyth and one of lamhaens(what ever they are called) and I dropped them all in a venom.

I ran an archon with the fear armor and a phantasm launcher against orks, and he was ruthless.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah that seems like an absolutely monstrous wargear combo against the right armies.

I've only played once with the new book, and probably no more than four or five games with the old one, but man the new Dark Eldar feels really fun to me. I usually do vanilla Marines, but something about the rules in this codex just clicks with me.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 23, 2014

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

rjderouin posted:

I suppose then that person was probably cheating. Was that FAQd and it used to work or what?

The Drone Controller specifically states it works with Gun, Marker and Sniper drones. Seems to be a pretty common mistake where people read the entry, don't realize Missile drones aren't mentioned and memorize Drone Controller as the upgrade that just lets any drone use the controller's BS.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Frobbe posted:

Instead, I joined the channel.

Look what you have done.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hra Mormo posted:

The Drone Controller specifically states it works with Gun, Marker and Sniper drones. Seems to be a pretty common mistake where people read the entry, don't realize Missile drones aren't mentioned and memorize Drone Controller as the upgrade that just lets any drone use the controller's BS.

It could very easily be that the commander had a M3S, giving the drones twin linked.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

20 works for backfield squads; I run a 20 man blob in my retro Cadians since they're meant to hold down the fort while the Ultramarines go forth and kick rear end. 30 is a must if you're advancing. As for plasma being too expensive for a backfield squad, I wouldn't exactly disagree, but it does work nicely with autocannons. Grenade launchers may be the more reasonable alternative. I usually give my CCS a lascannon and a Master of Ordnance so they can Bring it Down! on a vehicle somewhere and I can twin link that sweet artillery scatter to make it land where I want. My Cadian CCS is just plasma guns though.

Bring it down is tank hunters/monster hunters now I'm afraid, so no more accurate MoO. Shame, there was a sweet period at the end of 6th where you could take a cheap psyker and have reliably TL, tank hunting squads. Still not bad now, and of course you can still take a psyker, it's just not as straightforward.

I do take plasma/autocannon on my backfield squads. It's ok, but given the plasma's tendency to shoot at long range, if that, and then kill at least one of themselves, I am considering dropping it. Also considering going from autocannons to lascannons. AP2 is a big deal. I will see how it goes. Wouldn't go grenade launchers as they are just a compromise - if you genuinely think you will get close enough, by all means take plasma.

I would definitely consider weapons on my CCS, but in the old codex you needed LoS to the target (ie what you wanted your troops to shoot) to give orders. When they took that away I sort of thought 'bang, CCS is never coming out of total cover if I can help it now'.

I am really excited about taking some inquisitorial allies and/or assassins. Going to paint my first inquisitor this weekend. And I have ordered the rest of the assassins. Going to paint them all up soon as I'm done with the current batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Genghis Cohen posted:

Bring it down is tank hunters/monster hunters now I'm afraid, so no more accurate MoO. Shame, there was a sweet period at the end of 6th where you could take a cheap psyker and have reliably TL, tank hunting squads. Still not bad now, and of course you can still take a psyker, it's just not as straightforward.

Well then, guess I learned a rule today. Things keep on changing in tiny bits and it keeps throwing me for a loop.

• Locked thread