Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

News articles from reputable news sources have been proven false in this very case. Anonymous sources are incredibly lazy and make impossible for any peer review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Centripetal Horse posted:

Do you have reading comprehension problems, or what? All the real witnesses who know the truth are afraid to speak up because they fear reprisals from the urban thug protester neighborhood gangbangers. They only feel safe speaking to representatives of national publications.

You phrased this like a joke, but that is literally what is happening.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

I mean its not like you could use the forums search feature and find several times where Washington Post articles and information from Washington Post articles have been used further this and other threads fascination and "proof" of a certain chain of events in Fergueson and a FTP narrative story. But oh no when an article from the very same newspaper is posted that doesn't play in to D&D's world view and fit the narrative it wants it suddenly becomes a bad paper again.

Narciss posted:

Ferguson is largely black, and largely lower-class. There is a certain culture that permeates places like this that is insular and hostile to the police, and encourages solidarity in any confrontation with them like we're seeing with this battle over the media narrative.

Like taking a loaded gun to a protest with anticipation of making a "get arrested" point. Because that's a step in the right direction on police relations.

http://tinyurl.com/letktva

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's not like anyone has ever used "unnamed sources" to feed lies to the media to change the national narrative before... Oh wait.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Like taking a loaded gun to a protest with anticipation of making a "get arrested" point. Because that's a step in the right direction on police relations.

http://tinyurl.com/letktva

The awesome part is that there is going to be an open carry march around the City Garden and Arch and old Courthouse grounds in support of the latest "woohoo wild west guns for every (white)body!" amendment. Because taking an AR-15 to a playground is how one does, apparently.

The best part for me was the admonition in the promotional material to leave your "don't tread on me", militia flags, and cammies at home, because this is an "educational walk" not a militia meeting. 2nd amendment enthusiasts need to be told, and told repeatedly not to rep RAHOWA when there are cameras about.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 23, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Slo-Tek posted:

The awesome part is that there is going to be an open carry march around the city garden and capitol grounds in support of the latest "woohoo wild west guns for every (white)body!" amendment. Because taking an AR-15 to a playground is how one does, apparently.

Surprising thing was she doesn't appear to have been charged with a weapons violation. Not sure what MOs laws are on concealed weapons but most states take a pretty harsh stance on that vs. open carrying weapons without a permit. Especially on or near government property.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Which makes sense since most defendants probably don't want to testify for a variety of reasons even if given the chance.

I wonder if it is more common in cases of self-defense/justification?

But a trial that is going to fail doesn't really help anyone. I mean I doubt Wilson would cop a plea because he is facing a rigged indictment (which is still not good faith but whatever) so what's the point in half assing it here?

If Wilson is truly innocent and the evidence supports it, going to trial will get him a Not Guilty verdict and he won't have to worry about being tried for it ever again. Though not perfect (see OJ) a Not Guilty is also a good defense against civil suits. There's lots of reasons why an innocent Wilson would want his day in court. If he isn't even indicted, everyone will know it's the system protecting a cop, if not necessarily promoting racism. At some point in the future some new witness might come forward with new evidence and he could end up going to trial in a much different political climate that's not as favorable to police. He should want to be indicted.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Police are the last people who would have any confidence in an innocent person being exonerated in court.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I see if the new autopsy doesn't fit the SA narrative it is bogus. Clearly, actual evidence is less trustworthy than an eye witness account (especially when large portions of those accounts have been proven false). Also, Narciss owned this thread.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

L-Boned posted:

I see if the new autopsy doesn't fit the SA narrative it is bogus. Clearly, actual evidence is less trustworthy than an eye witness account (especially when large portions of those accounts have been proven false). Also, Narciss owned this thread.

Promise not to run off now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

L-Boned posted:

You'll find nobody has a problem with the autopsy, friend. The problem we have with the article is that they bring in someone who has no connection to the case made a definitive and unprovable statement :)

Feel free to return to the hole you crawled out of at any time :)

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
The only statements I recall seeing made were "his wounds are consistent with someone grabbing for a gun" and "the wound on his arm is not consistent with someone who was shot with their arms in the air", though, and neither of those are definitive or unprovable

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

semper wifi posted:

The only statements I recall seeing made were "his wounds are consistent with someone grabbing for a gun" and "the wound on his arm is not consistent with someone who was shot with their arms in the air", though, and neither of those are definitive or unprovable

My friend, if you would kindly take the time to go back and read the article, I'm sure you yourself could easily find the part where the forensic pathologist from San Francisco that the newspaper had independently look at the autopsy information states that the residue on the hand "supports the fact" that he was reaching for the gun, and that it backs up the officer's version of events.

Of course, my friend, I'm sure you will also note that it is written in an incredible biased way, and makes it appear as if this is part of the official report, and not the paper's own interpretation of events, which is what everyone has a problem with. You'll also note that we already know Brown fell down, because he was killed, so it is entirely unsurprising that he was shot again after his arms were no longer in the air.

I hope this helps your understanding of the situation :)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
rip mike brown rip this thread

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah:

chitoryu12 posted:

Why do all of your posts always seem to be filtered through a tin foil hat even when relatively benign?

It's called "style"

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
gently caress all the racists in this thread. I'm so tired of seeing all this bullshit dancing around the truth. Admit it, you dont think black people are as smart, trustworthy, or respectable. Please, post some more statistics that prove my point, and pretend that they prove your point.

I'm looking at you, semper wifi. Your willful intellectual dishonesty is astounding. But please don't respond or I will be forced to use lethal forums force in response to your violent carjacking of this thread. I, in this situation, may respond as officer wilson did, and smoke your rear end like a quality brisket.

Of a lower income bracket

repeating fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 23, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

repeating posted:

gently caress all the racists in this thread. I'm so tired of seeing all this bullshit dancing around the truth. Admit it, you dont think black people are as smart, trustworthy, or respectable. Please, post some more statistics that prove my point, and pretend that they prove your point.

I'm looking at you, semper wifi. Your willful intellectual dishonesty is astounding. But please don't respond or I will be forced to use lethal forums force in response to your violent carjacking of this thread. I, in this situation, may respond as officer wilson did, and smoke your rear end like a quality brisket.

Of a lower income bracket
The amount of misinformation in this thread is staggering. The brisket is a chest cut, not from the butt.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
So if Darren Wilson's story might be true that means that systemic racism doesn't exist, right?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stultus Maximus posted:

Are you saying it makes any more or less sense than Brown diving through a truck window across a cop's lap to grab his gun?

How many times has this even happened in the real world, that someone has tried to take a cop's gun?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arri posted:

So if Darren Wilson's story might be true that means that systemic racism doesn't exist, right?

Well if it existed you could bring up a case that hasn't been justified and excused by white people. Bet you can't do that, huh?

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

If Wilson is truly innocent and the evidence supports it, going to trial will get him a Not Guilty verdict and he won't have to worry about being tried for it ever again. Though not perfect (see OJ) a Not Guilty is also a good defense against civil suits. There's lots of reasons why an innocent Wilson would want his day in court. If he isn't even indicted, everyone will know it's the system protecting a cop, if not necessarily promoting racism. At some point in the future some new witness might come forward with new evidence and he could end up going to trial in a much different political climate that's not as favorable to police. He should want to be indicted.
So trials don't ever wrongly convict innocent people?

Plus a criminal trial doesn't remove the threat of federal civil rights charges so yeah he would still have to worry.

Plus a criminal trial doesn't mean poo poo to the activists and mob calling for his head. Ask Zimmerman how much his acquittal silenced his critics. The idea that an acquittal at trial for Wilson wouldn't be ignored by his critics as "the system protecting a cop, if not necessarily promoting racism" is laughable.

So why exactly should Wilson want to roll the dice with an indictment again? Unknown new evidence that might pop up? A possibility of a political climate worse than the literal President of the United States taking notice, mentioning the incident in international speeches and ordering investigations up Wilson's rear end?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Gorilla Salad posted:

How many times has this even happened in the real world, that someone has tried to take a cop's gun?

Like, all the time, bro.

Don't you remember that time in Legal Weapon 4 where Donnie Yen totally takes Danny Gibson's gun apart with his bare hands? I'm pretty sure I'd remember if I hadn't seen that first-hand.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Waco Panty Raid posted:

So trials don't ever wrongly convict innocent people?

Plus a criminal trial doesn't remove the threat of federal civil rights charges so yeah he would still have to worry.

Plus a criminal trial doesn't mean poo poo to the activists and mob calling for his head. Ask Zimmerman how much his acquittal silenced his critics. The idea that an acquittal at trial for Wilson wouldn't be ignored by his critics as "the system protecting a cop, if not necessarily promoting racism" is laughable.

So why exactly should Wilson want to roll the dice with an indictment again? Unknown new evidence that might pop up? A possibility of a political climate worse than the literal President of the United States taking notice, mentioning the incident in international speeches and ordering investigations up Wilson's rear end?

Wilson personally shouldn't want a trial, but if his supporters, colleagues, department, and state government believe in his actions so much they should want to have a public trial air out all the details. The fact that everyone involved seems thrilled that he won't even be indicted or contributed to undermining the indictment implies that they realize something wrong happened here, but don't really want to look too closely because of the possible conclusions.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
The autopsy could support either story as it doesn't detail what the sequence of shots was, or what was happening directly before it.

Either way, as a cop you should be capable of restraining a fat man with a bullet in him without having to shoot him instead of "He's coming right for me!".

Also, whoever said bringing a gun to the protest was the wrong idea is completely wrong. Everyone there should have a gun. I'm not even a fan of guns, but as long as open carry is a thing, it should be a thing at real protests as well.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mugrim posted:

sequence of shots
How do they determine this? I could see it being a bit obvious if the shots were far apart in time based on amount of bleeding and maybe platelet counts or something. The report specifically says the shot to his arm came after the fatal shot to his head, and I wonder how they determine sequence when the shots happens within the span of a few seconds.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Wadjamaloo posted:

How do they determine this? I could see it being a bit obvious if the shots were far apart in time based on amount of bleeding and maybe platelet counts or something. The report specifically says the shot to his arm came after the fatal shot to his head, and I wonder how they determine sequence when the shots happens within the span of a few seconds.

In Brown's case it doesn't seem they've established one.

In unrelated cases, I've seen blood layering on clothes or (more often than not) Officer testimony.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mugrim posted:

Also, whoever said bringing a gun to the protest was the wrong idea is completely wrong. Everyone there should have a gun. I'm not even a fan of guns, but as long as open carry is a thing, it should be a thing at real protests as well.

You're sortof rhetorically right but being black and armed in front of the Ferguson PD is just going to get you shot. I mean, live forever in history or whatever but still.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wilson personally shouldn't want a trial, but if his supporters, colleagues, department, and state government believe in his actions so much they should want to have a public trial air out all the details. The fact that everyone involved seems thrilled that he won't even be indicted or contributed to undermining the indictment implies that they realize something wrong happened here, but don't really want to look too closely because of the possible conclusions.
Indictment gets these people nothing, either in theory (because it means there was not enough evidence to support going to trial) or in practice (detailed below):

Wilson's supporters and colleagues will view no indictment as not just validation of their position but validation with a cherry on top: it'll be spun as there was so little evidence that there couldn't be an indictment. No indictment is a slam dunk for them.

The local government? They want this affair over ASAP: it's embarrassing and probably super costly. No indictment just means this drops out of the news sooner. People who would be upset at no indictment are still going to be upset at an acquittal.

Only in some fantasy land where trials are free, totally accurate and completely definitive in the public mind should any of these people welcome an indictment.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Kalman posted:

Wilson (apparently) testified that he drew his gun before Brown tried to grab it, so this scenario isn't what anyone is saying happened.

More likely he yelled at them to get out of the road, they said something stupid back, he got pissed off and confrontational and then Brown did too and everything escalated from there, leading to him drawing his gun when he definitely should not have (you are in a car why don't you just start rolling along) which lead to shots being fired because don't loving draw a gun if you aren't intending to fire it because you probably will do so.

^Ding ding ding ding ding. Roll up window. Call for backup. Even if Wilson had been punched. Roll up window. Call for backup.

And just to clear a few misinformation/misperception issues here:

1. The fact the prosecutor called Wilson should not be seen as bad faith. Prosecutors jizz themselves at the prospect of getting a defendant on the stand and almost never do because most invoke their constitutional right not to testify. If you have the opportunity to put the defendant on the stand...you ALWAYS do it. Here, if there is an indictment, if he says anything inconsistent at trial, he can be impeached with his grand jury testimony. If he doesn't testify at trial, his grand jury testimony can be introduced as a statement of the defendant, and then contradicted by other witnesses. So I don't see a red flag with his being put on the stand. (At least in my state...does anyone know if grand jury testimony in Missouri can be used for impeachment? Too lazy to look it up, but I imagine so.)

2. We don't now what any of the witness testimony was. We have statements whatever a news source chose to include from a post testimony interview, or anonymous leaks. We have no idea how credible any of these witnesses were (for either side) that's what the grand jury is there for. so I'd be hesitant to say what any of the testimony was, or what of it should be believed. It's one thing to read excepts in print, it's another thing to see and hear the witness.

3. Saying the prosecutor needs to recuse himself b/c he is pro law enforcement is dumb. Almost all prosecutors are pro law enforcement. However, as a matter of perception, were I a prosecutor whose father had been shot in the line of duty, I would probably recuse myself. The flip side, as this is going to be messy regardless, is a senior person may want to spare their staff from being involved in this clusterfuck. Usually the top dog takes the high profile/messy cases. That's what they are paid for. Still, I'd probably recuse because of the family/perception issue.

4. There are ethics issues with prosecutors defining the battle space by speaking to the media. If the leaks are coming from the prosecution office, this is a big problem, and should be investigated. Actually, they should be investigated regardless, because grand jury is supposed to be sealed.

5. There is still a civil rights investigation. Presumably, although grand jury testimony is sealed, a federal investigation would have access for official use only. If there is fear that Ferguson is just a bunch of racists, can we at least acknowledge that Holder's justice department will not take that position? And if the federal investigation matches the state, then perhaps there really wasn't enough evidence to indict.

6. Not being indicted/convicted does not necessarily mean innocent. See e.g. OJ Simpson, Casey Anthony etc. This is a good thing. Our system is designed to hold the state to a high burden. This rule benefits all accused...even politically unpopular ones.

7. No one is claiming brown lunged into the car at a holstered gun. That's stupid.

8. Pot does not = crazed aggressive brute. (And it's tested by nanogram level...so there's no conclusive way to say how much was consumed and when. It can only reveal "Consistent with" or inconsistent with" Example: Is this nanogram level consistent with a person who smoked a joint within the last 24 hours? Yes. Cross Examination: Is it also consistent with someone who smoked a lot more than that a week ago? Yes. And of course there are metabolic differences etc. And nanogram level does not reflect individual impact. Some people are less affected than others.)

9. It is not uncommon for witnesses to refuse to testify, or to provide a different account to the media than they did to the police. Or to lie to the police. Or to lie in court. That's why the grand jury is specifically instructed to assess their credibility.

10. Law gives people resisting use of force from a cop a lot less latitude than people resisting an assault from a civilian. There isn't really a "self defense" argument if you are in fear of bodily harm because of law enforcement. If there were it would essentially negate offenses relating to assaults on officers.

11. Biometric triggers/wrist sensors for law enforcement guns is an asinine idea.

12. If you believe that racial profiling doesn't exist you are woefully naïve. This case actually does a really great job showing the racial polarization in this country. I don't believe for one moment that Wilson shot Brown because he was black, but the fact some many don't want to rule that out as a possibility reflects a major societal problem. If you are on "Team Wilson" Brown was a thug and all witnesses challenging Wilson are thugs in cahoots. If you are on "Team Brown" the whole system is covering up the murder of a black teen because...well, why not? The fact there are a considerable number of people adamantly on one side or the other should really serve to demonstrate that race relations in this country need a lot of work.

OK, with that, carry on.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 23, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

semper wifi posted:

It's irresponsible reporting when the latter point could still support either story, and you only say it supports the killer's testimony, and not the testimony of every other eyewitness. Given that he was struck many times it's not at all a stretch to believe any of the numerous other bullets struck him before he was hit in the arm.

"His arm was not raised when the bullet struck it" being reported as "Autopsy indicates he did not have his hands raised" is straight up dishonest and borderline lying.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/23/us-usa-missouri-shooting-doj-idUSKCN0IC1U320141023

quote:

(Reuters) - U.S. Justice Department officials on Thursday criticized local authorities' investigation of the shooting death of an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson, Missouri, saying the case had been handled in a "selective" and "inappropriate" manner.

The department's criticism comes after the official St. Louis County autopsy of Michael Brown, 18, who was shot by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson on Aug. 9, was leaked to media on Wednesday.

The autopsy report, obtained by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and published on its website, suggested Brown sustained a gunshot wound to the hand from close range and came as a grand jury considered whether Wilson should face charges.

"The department considers the selective release of information in this investigation to be irresponsible and highly troubling," Justice Department spokeswoman Dena Iverson said.

"Since the release of the convenience store footage there seems to be an inappropriate effort to influence public opinion about this case," Iverson added, referring to the Ferguson police department's release of video shortly after the shooting that showed a robbery at a nearby convenience store, although it did not specifically link Brown at the time to the footage.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder expressed frustration with local officials investigating the incident as the Justice Department also conducts a federal investigation, according to a department official.

In a meeting with Justice Department lawyers on Wednesday, Holder said he was "exasperated" by the "selective flow of information coming out of Missouri" and called the leaks "inappropriate and troubling," the official said.

Brown's death ignited angry protests across Ferguson, a mostly black community with a majority white police force and city government, and drew global attention to racial tensions in the United States.

Protests have continued since August and flared again on Wednesday night, leading to multiple arrests, according to police.

Accounts of the shooting differ, but witnesses and law enforcement officials have said Brown and Wilson got into an altercation through the window of the officer's vehicle after Wilson told Brown and a friend to leave the middle of a street.

Brown, who was shot six times, died about 30 feet from the patrol car.

The official autopsy released this week said at least one bullet struck Brown's hand at close range, suggesting that Brown's hand was near Wilson's weapon at some point. It also showed Brown tested positive for marijuana.

St. Louis County's medical examiner office verified the autopsy report but said it did not release it.

Some activists have said the leak seemed aimed at bolstering support for Wilson and has further strained the community.

An attorney for Brown's parents has said the autopsy was not surprising given witnesses accounts of an altercation at the patrol car.

Brown's family released a preliminary private autopsy findings in August. The Justice Department also ordered its own autopsy but has not yet released its report.

I guess we're not the only ones who question the information that's being released.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Dum Cumpster posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/23/us-usa-missouri-shooting-doj-idUSKCN0IC1U320141023

I guess we're not the only ones who question the information that's being released.

ABA Rule 3.8 regarding special considerations for prosecutors:

quote:

(f) except for statements that are necessary to inform the public of the nature and extent of the prosecutor's action and that serve a legitimate law enforcement purpose, refrain from making extrajudicial comments that have a substantial likelihood of heightening public condemnation of the accused and exercise reasonable care to prevent investigators, law enforcement personnel, employees or other persons assisting or associated with the prosecutor in a criminal case from making an extrajudicial statement that the prosecutor would be prohibited from making under Rule 3.6 or this Rule.

I imagine making statements by proxy via media leaks is also frowned upon. The leaks are a huge problem and need to be investigated. Now, granted, this is geared at condemnation of the accused however, the spirit of the rule is that the prosecution should remain neutral and not try to inflame the public at all.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lessail posted:

rip mike brown rip this thread

I don't care what the evidence says, this thread made threatening gestures toward us and has to be put down :cop:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Reuters posted:

Brown, who was shot six times, died about 30 feet from the patrol car.

Even this appropriately neutral Reuters article is repeating this incorrect distance falsely claimed by the police chief in the initial press report. Brown was over 100 feet away from the car. It's been like two months since that was debunked.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

Even this appropriately neutral Reuters article is repeating this incorrect distance falsely claimed by the police chief in the initial press report. Brown was over 100 feet away from the car. It's been like two months since that was debunked.

Got a link? Cause drat

E: vvvvv man I hate this country :smith:

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 23, 2014

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Choadmaster posted:

Yeah, I was going to say this too. Here is where someone proved that the distance was actually over 100 feet (although he seems to think it means Wilson was firing at Brown from 100 feet away when the more likely scenario seems to be Wilson chasing after Brown while shooting at him).

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

12. If you believe that racial profiling doesn't exist you are woefully naïve. This case actually does a really great job showing the racial polarization in this country. I don't believe for one moment that Wilson shot Brown because he was black, but the fact some many don't want to rule that out as a possibility reflects a major societal problem. If you are on "Team Wilson" Brown was a thug and all witnesses challenging Wilson are thugs in cahoots. If you are on "Team Brown" the whole system is covering up the murder of a black teen because...well, why not? The fact there are a considerable number of people adamantly on one side or the other should really serve to demonstrate that race relations in this country need a lot of work.

Wilson did not shoot Brown because he was black (because even phrasing that way sets up a "premeditation" straw man), but I think that the bar for lethal force against a white suspect is significantly higher than for a black suspect. LEOs consistently give the benefit of the doubt to white suspects in use of force decision making that they do not give to black suspects.

The death of Brown is the result of poor decision making by Wilson, and those poor decisions were escalated by racial profiling.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
American police officers are trained to shoot and kill black men. How else would they be so consistent and prolific in doing so? (racist trolls please answer).

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I like the use of passive voice in the police report attached to the local autopsy:

quote:

As Officer Wilson attempted to exit out of his patrol vehicle the deceased pushed his door shut and began to struggle with Officer Wilson, during the struggle the Officers weapon was un-holstered. The weapon discharged during the struggle.

The gun arose from his holster of its own accord! :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

amanasleep posted:

Wilson did not shoot Brown because he was black (because even phrasing that way sets up a "premeditation" straw man), but I think that the bar for lethal force against a white suspect is significantly higher than for a black suspect. LEOs consistently give the benefit of the doubt to white suspects in use of force decision making that they do not give to black suspects.

The death of Brown is the result of poor decision making by Wilson, and those poor decisions were escalated by racial profiling.

that's kind of what I was going for here. It wasn't an intentional "I'm going to shoot this black guy" but it's a good illustration of how race is still a factor in this country even if a subconscious one.

• Locked thread