Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
The Icestorm minis are turning out to be a lot easier to paint than the old minis. Can't decide if they've space marine-ed the proportions or not. Working on an infinity mini always used to leave you feeling bad about your ability to paint. Hardest part is getting colors I like for the PanO in the box.

Decided to make the fusiliers from the box NeoTerran. Berets matching the main color never seemed to look any good. Think I need to get some lighter highlights for the blue too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Looking good.

I had one of those great games tonight that came down to the final die roll. I lost by making only two of three saves against explosive ammo, failing the third by only one point. It could not have been any closer. What's better is that my road to potentially winning came as a surprise to my opponent until the last turn, so he was pleasantly surprised to be suddenly on the defensive.

The new HMG ranges are great. I had never seen a Jotum in reverse before.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Why is the beret marking over the ear of that Fusilier? God drat it CB. It's supposed to be located over the eyes, usually the left eye. :commissar:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It's the future bro

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Hoboskins posted:

Maybe it came up earlier but I was just directed to the thread that contains all the removed troop profiles for 3e. Sorry Yu-Jing Hmg Tiger soldier RIP

Also completely removing all Exrah models forever that was surprising. Cascuda, vector and void operators all profiles...

Wait so the Caskuda has been deleted from the game? I have a friend that is going to be pissed.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Acceptableloss posted:

Wait so the Caskuda has been deleted from the game? I have a friend that is going to be pissed.

It could be worse I bought the entire exrah range for my slow grow league at the end of September. I emailed CB, but I haven't heard back yet. As it stands I probably won't buy anything else from them 'Cuz they straight hosed a new player that just got 10 people to buy in.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

It's the future bro

That's no excuse! Yet more proof that foreigners cannot do berets. Oddly enough for a French item of headgear, only the British do it right. Funny old world.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Are we doing the beret derail thing again? :can:

Have a (beretless) new Tokusetsu instead:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 22, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

It could be worse I bought the entire exrah range for my slow grow league at the end of September. I emailed CB, but I haven't heard back yet. As it stands I probably won't buy anything else from them 'Cuz they straight hosed a new player that just got 10 people to buy in.

Out of curiosity what response do you expect or even want from CB?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm just kind of confused as to why they're being taken out at all. They must've sold terribly.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

S.J. posted:

I'm just kind of confused as to why they're being taken out at all. They must've sold terribly.

From what I heard, the sculpts were designed badly and were tearing up the molds, and they didn't sell well enough to justify a resculpting/new mold costs.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That sucks, but it does happen. Too bad. Although I don't think I've ever seen one of those models in person.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Suck it xenos! Humans, abhumans, and protohumans only!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Suck it xenos! Humans, abhumans, and protohumans only!
The 40k thread is over there.

VVV: Yaozao, I choose you! :japan:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 22, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Pierzak posted:

Are we doing the beret derail thing again? :can:

Have a (beretless) new Tokusetsu instead:

That hat makes her look like one of the Pokemon player characters.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

The 40k thread is over there.

VVV: Yaozao, I choose you! :japan:

To be honest, I never really loved the inclusion of aliens in Infinity. Future global factions that kick each others asses always seemed like enough to me.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Out of curiosity what response do you expect or even want from CB?

Take back my models, send me different ines that I can play with. I really don't think it's an unreasonable request.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Take back my models, send me different ines that I can play with. I really don't think it's an unreasonable request.

Pretty sure you can still play with those models actually, you can basically use them as whatever.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

S.J. posted:

Pretty sure you can still play with those models actually, you can basically use them as whatever.

You could say that about anything. People still, for the most part, buy the correct models for what they represent in the game.

I didn't just buy models, I bought models for use in a miniatures game. If it was any other industry this wouldn't be an issue.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but you can still freely use the models with no repercussions. Sorry man.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
It really hasn't helped that CB actually handled the situation really poorly. For such a great game company that does so many things right this is even more shocking. They had to have known about this in advance and they have had ample opportunity to warn people that it was going to happen. Zero communication except to say "oh by the way these models you bought, they are now defunct. Sure we knew about it well in advance but why should we stop you from giving us money?". I doubt that was their actual intention but they have spent zero time on handling peoples expectations. Telling people that their Caskuda will be a stand in for another tag (that they actually have) is not really a good solution.

Anyway I really want to know about the new USA/Kazak Ariadna profiles they are releasing. I am pretty sure Carlos has said that USA profiles that already exist will be getting tweaked considerably to make them more distinct. I am really hoping that I will get to use the Ariadna tag rule that has been taunting me since forever.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There was a very good post on the CB forums speculating why they handled the Exrah this way. The short version is that it was likely a very long-running discussion that probably didn't get resolved until very recently, hence the conflicting prior rumors.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yup. I do wish I'd get to go to one of the CB panels at events so I could ask if they plan to stop invalidating existing stuff like YJ Ko Dali and now the Exrah.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hoboskins posted:

I am pretty sure Carlos has said that USA profiles that already exist will be getting tweaked considerably to make them more distinct.
I wouldn't be surprised. Making vanilla Invincibles into Zuyong Invincibles with their own distinct flavor (e.g. HMG Automedkit LT) means a departure from the "vanilla [multi] rifle HI everybody has".

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

You could say that about anything. People still, for the most part, buy the correct models for what they represent in the game.

I didn't just buy models, I bought models for use in a miniatures game. If it was any other industry this wouldn't be an issue.

CB made some mistakes in handling this but if you think the only acceptable outcome is for them to replace every Exrah model ever purchased for free I don't know what to tell you. That's just not a plausible scenario.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

They are not taking away the N2 rules. You can play Exrah forever.

They are simply no longer selling new Exrah, or creating new rules for them in N3.

Nothing was taken away.

You might as well demand that Sony compensate you for invalidating your PS2 with the release of the PS3 because your old games won't work on it. Except in this case, 99% of your old games work on the new console.

CB isn't being remotely unreasonable.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

CB made some mistakes in handling this but if you think the only acceptable outcome is for them to replace every Exrah model ever purchased for free I don't know what to tell you. That's just not a plausible scenario.

I don't expect them to replace every exrah model ever purchased, but these ones that I just bought, yeah. Exrah comprise fully half of my investment to this game as a new player, so yeah make it right. There can't be that many people in the world in my situation. There's always gonna be someone screwed, but it's CB who decided to do the screwing. It's on them to make it right. I don't know what the cutoff should be, but I know it's wholly unacceptable for me personally. I'm not asking for them for free either. I will ship the exrah back to them. I want models that are represented by in-game stats, and no one can convince me that's an obnoxious position, considering that's what I bought.

The PlayStation analogy doesn't hold water for me either. PlayStations have expected lifetimes. Generally, I expect my game purchases won't be invalidated a couple weeks later. If I bought an appliance that I expected to last years, and it broke a few weeks later, I'd want my money back or a replacement. It's seriously mind boggling to me that people are like yeah that sucks, but what are they gonna do?

And the notion that models are specific to editions is completely absurd. Well they worked in the last edition, if applied to entire factions is patently ridiculous, but the argument is the same.

There's a sort of social contract at work here. Anyone could represent anything in the game with whatever they wanted, but for a variety of social and psychological reasons we generally don't. To me, the models have value as both the physical material and artistry of the scuplt plus their accompanying use as game figures. If, CB thinks only the first two matter then give me my money back and you can have your product back. If it's the latter then make it right.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Have you emailed them about it?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Yeah, as I said in my first post on the subject I've emailed them, but haven't heard anything back yet.

It's unfortunately a bit of frustration boiling over from when I posted on the official boards and mostly just had a bunch of people tell me too bad, you're just out +$100, and didn't really reply because I wanted to handle it less publicly.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
A lot of people are quite reactionary to this sort of posting; most wargamers spend more time complaining than wargaming, after all.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
This image is a repost but I am looking for game specific feedback.

This is one of my lasercut building floors,

Here is a shot with more floors, they all lift off each other for easy access. and obviously Im not done painting them.

Should work well enough for Infinity right?
I know I've shown them before in their fresh cut state but I want to make sure the design is good before I call it done.

Also any thoughts on color scheme would be great, the one with off-white paneling is the direction I am planning to go with all of them.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 24, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Here is a shot with more floors, they all lift off each other for easy access. and obviously Im not done painting them.

I know I've shown them before in their fresh cut state but I want to make sure the design is good before I call it done.

Also any thoughts on color scheme would be great, the one with off-white paneling is the direction I am planning to go with all of them.

You might consider adding window lintels and ledges to give them a little more depth, but I wouldn't say you have to add them.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

LumberingTroll posted:

I've been playing a lot of xcom, so I have cover on the brain, and I wonder if you could add notches at each quarter on the interior sides, so that you could cut another wall and slot it in to divide the space on the floor.

I'm having weird flashbacks of aliens getting critical hits on your soldier by getting los from a window on the opposite side of the building.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I've been playing a lot of xcom, so I have cover on the brain, and I wonder if you could add notches at each quarter on the interior sides, so that you could cut another wall and slot it in to divide the space on the floor.

I'm having weird flashbacks of aliens getting critical hits on your soldier by getting los from a window on the opposite side of the building.

I already have this done, not notches, but walls that slide in and have their own "feet" to stand on. These rooms are 6"x6" btw

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

LumberingTroll posted:

I already have this done, not notches, but walls that slide in and have their own "feet" to stand on. These rooms are 6"x6" btw

Well then, it's awesome, and if anybody wants to mess with the facade they can do it pretty easily I'd think for variety.

Maybe a couple brick patterns for thin balsa wood to lay over and make drybrushing on a different materials texture easier? Red brick size and fitted cinderblock size?

Unless they're not futuristic enough.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Yea, adding some more highlighting really made a difference on the blue I think.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

Colours aren't fluro enough. You can never have too much fluro in Infinity. Get some lime green, sky blue or hot pink on it. Preferably all three :v:
The buildings look good, but I was semi-serious about the paint thing. I feel the buildings could do with a brighter/lighter palette to fit the normal Infinity aesthetic, but that's just the opinion of a random internet nerd who has no idea what sort of paint scheme you have for your models or other terrain, so this could very well be fitting with what you have for all I know.

In other news, I just moved to Perth (the one in Australia, not Scotland) and it turns out my housemate is the English editor for Infinity. No, he won't tell me any spoilers (I asked him already).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Colours aren't fluro enough. You can never have too much fluro in Infinity. Get some lime green, sky blue or hot pink on it. Preferably all three :v:
The buildings look good, but I was semi-serious about the paint thing. I feel the buildings could do with a brighter/lighter palette to fit the normal Infinity aesthetic, but that's just the opinion of a random internet nerd who has no idea what sort of paint scheme you have for your models or other terrain, so this could very well be fitting with what you have for all I know.

In other news, I just moved to Perth (the one in Australia, not Scotland) and it turns out my housemate is the English editor for Infinity. No, he won't tell me any spoilers (I asked him already).

Spoilers be damned, get him to talk to CB headquarters and have them support the oath thread again!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Spoilers be damned, get him to talk to CB headquarters and have them support the oath thread again!
They used to do that? That's pretty cool actually, though I'm not surprised since hearing they sent a bunch of prize-fodder for one of WAR FOOT's tournaments. I'll see what I can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

They used to do that? That's pretty cool actually, though I'm not surprised since hearing they sent a bunch of prize-fodder for one of WAR FOOT's tournaments. I'll see what I can do

Yeah if you look here http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161#post415016296 you can see last years thread. krushgroove is still running it this year as well, but apparently the contact person used previously has moved on from CB and so we lost a sponsor.

I know their inclusion as a sponsor gave me a real incentive to paint Infinity minis from month to month.

• Locked thread