Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

Hell, one of my favorite things about QC is that the Singularity already happened in that world and it turns out real life still keeps going afterward.

I too like how it takes cool idea and alchemises it into stale water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I checked out QC briefly yesterday to see what all the talk was about and it really is just incredibly boring. I read from page 2810 to 2819 and all that happened was 1 really awful joke, a girl being grumpy about her boyfriend getting a job some robots for no reason and a purple dildo running around? I don't get it or like.. what the hook is even supposed to be.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Diaz is superior an artist to JJ (much like how one is larger than zero), and more fascinating in his hubristic ambitions. Diaz is like Icarus flying too close to the sun. JJ is like Icarus never escaping Crete.

I'm not comfortable with any analogy that paints the guy with the 100:1 tweeting to doing what he's paid for ratio as somehow more ambitious or less lazy than the guy who's bootstrapped a successful business producing and continuously updating the world's longest-running T-shirt ad

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wezlar posted:

I checked out QC briefly yesterday to see what all the talk was about and it really is just incredibly boring. I read from page 2810 to 2819 and all that happened was 1 really awful joke, a girl being grumpy about her boyfriend getting a job some robots for no reason and a purple dildo running around? I don't get it or like.. what the hook is even supposed to be.

Well, you should check some goon-recommended ones:

Remember, it may be mostly boring, but it's reliable!

e:

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I'm not comfortable with any analogy that paints the guy with the 100:1 tweeting to doing what he's paid for ratio as somehow more ambitious or less lazy than the guy who's bootstrapped a successful business producing and continuously updating the world's longest-running T-shirt ad

You're right, but Diaz has the advantage once again, because he mostly doesn't do bad webcomics.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 23, 2014

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
QC ain't exactly high art but high art isn't what makes money to start with, and I feel like if you're going to go at things for being successful mass-produced demographic-focussed media products the freakin internet comic made by one dude in his house is a wierdass place to start, and you're probably much better focussing on the steampunk cheesecake SCIENCE!!! jerkoff who actually claims to be a boundary-pushing iconoclast, or the creepy yiffmeister with the ouvre of 100% stolen IPs and the pose that he's running some sort of radical social experiment by pandering to losers. Like for a followup are you gonna be dropping sick burns on the woman with the garage sewing business for not taking the fashion world by storm

None of this should be taken as a recommendation to read QC, mind, it's just roughly as interesting and offensive a small business as tax accountancy and is clearly succeeding at what it intended to do

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 23, 2014

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You're right, but Diaz has the advantage once again, because he mostly doesn't do bad webcomics.

Instead he's writing Legend of Zelda au fanfiction and last time I checked the nerd hierarchy charts that put him below webcomics that aren't also au fanfiction

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Jacques makes money in the most blandly inoffensive way possible, and he's done it in a market where everything is free and competition comes down entirely to other people's tastes. Questioning his success in regards to what people see in his work and how much importance people place on what we would traditionally consider the hallmarks of a 'good' comic, like art and a strong narrative, can be the basis for a healthy discussion; suggesting he doesn't 'deserve' his success, in a market dependent entirely on personal taste rather than market forces or personal wealth, is jealousy and covetousness at its most toxic, pointless and self-defeating, and it needs to stop.

[...]

I think QC is sort of boring and bad and stale (also now inconsistently written unless it turns out Sven was replaced by a Cylon or something before his last appearance) but I generally agree with the gist of this post.

I can respect that JJ at least keeps to his schedule more consistently than many others, and I won't begrudge him his success. I don't get mad at the producers of lovely soap operas either for earning a paycheck, even while actively disliking the product :shrug:

I'd rather see JJ making money, whose worst offenses appear to be 'is depressed, doesn't visibly push himself to improve' than the shithead who writes LICD.

I think the product is bad, but he produces it consistently and people are giving him money without being compelled to. Shine on, I guess :shrug:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you guys worked out an anxiety reducing consensus yet

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait to find out what the new status quo on QC opinion is.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"goons are terrible"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Megazver posted:

"goons are terrible"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

:shrek:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Ant Comic, does anybody know if Deforge is doing any webcommicy poo poo right now. He's got lots of work coming out but I always liked finding out he's doing some small webcomic poo poo tucked somewhere.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I propose that all webcomics are gay as gently caress

thanks for reading my revolutionary new theory

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 23, 2014

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
Speaking of webcomics and things that are gay as gently caress (also straight as gently caress depending on who you're asking), MANCALENDAR was featured on Comics Alliance!

Lots of goon creators are involved, including bigbigtruck, Skratte, Kismet, Tank!, myself, and moooore!

If you like calendars and webcomics and cute dudes, 9 out of 10 dentists recommend MANCALENDAR.

Preorders are open until October 30th!

MANCALENDAR is brought to you by Countershot Press and made possible by Viewers Like You.

Grantaire fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 23, 2014

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Megazver posted:

"goons are terrible"

As are webcomics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dude on the far right's smile is weirdin' me out. That looks like the face I'd see in a dark forest before I was murdered (if I lived near a dark forest populated by burly men)

Sair
May 11, 2007

Afraid of Audio posted:

As are webcomics.

And your posting.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sair posted:

And your posting.

luckily we you here to show us how good posts are made

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a way to get the huge beefy dudes delivered to my door or?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Schtein what are you doing in there

you are not a beefcake get out

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Psykmoe posted:

I think QC is sort of boring and bad and stale (also now inconsistently written unless it turns out Sven was replaced by a Cylon or something before his last appearance) but I generally agree with the gist of this post.

I can respect that JJ at least keeps to his schedule more consistently than many others, and I won't begrudge him his success. I don't get mad at the producers of lovely soap operas either for earning a paycheck, even while actively disliking the product :shrug:

I'd rather see JJ making money, whose worst offenses appear to be 'is depressed, doesn't visibly push himself to improve' than the shithead who writes LICD.

I think the product is bad, but he produces it consistently and people are giving him money without being compelled to. Shine on, I guess :shrug:

QC to me is like trying to eat an entire box of Saltines in a sitting because that's all the food left in the house. Everyone decides hey, let's send out ol' Jeph with our money, go get some real food! He proceeds to come home with a carload full of crackers, and they're not even Saltines, they are store brand that were on sale.

For some reason, everyone thanks Jeph for both his time and effort, and gives him enough money so he can keep the pantry stocked with crackers well into next year, because that's just what they are willing to settle for.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sair posted:

And your posting.

Take a look at this guy bringing out the big guns in the war of webcomics.

Afraid of Audio fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 23, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Well, the idea of a Schtein pinup is going to haunt my dreams forever now, so good job!

Also, thank you to the folks who recommended Wilde Life. It is looking pretty amazing so far:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
see, I think that QC is best compared to the medium of the telenovela

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hogge Wild posted:

luckily we you here to show us how good posts are made

Afraid of Audio posted:

Take a look at this guy bringing out the big guns in the war of webcomics.

Woah the commentary is cutting as deep as diamonds tonight, but who will win the war of posting in a webcomics thread? Only history can decide!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Woah the commentary is cutting as deep as diamonds tonight, but who will win the war of posting in a webcomics thread? Only history can decide!

Nice post. Idiot!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kramjacks posted:

Nice post. Idiot!

That is incredibly triggering

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nuns with Guns posted:

That is incredibly triggering

Your face is triggering!

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. I just got carried away. I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Phylodox posted:

Your face is triggering!

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. I just got carried away. I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry.

Excuse you... these are scars from an unbelievably sick burn Dave Willis gave me

The ableism in this thread is shameful

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Abyssal Squid posted:

I'm partial to the theory that Jimmy's daughter is also a demon and possessed Marsh, which is why he degenerated to the intelligence of a child.

Goddamn, you people are like the loving Nostradamus of webcomics or something. :v:

Also, I love Jimmy's facial expression there. Such a perfect mixture of surprise, confusion, and a little anger with just a few lines and dots.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Excuse you... these are scars from an unbelievably sick burn Dave Willis gave me

I'd love to see what Willis considers a sick burn. Do tell.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Bravo posted:

Goddamn, you people are like the loving Nostradamus of webcomics or something. :v:

Also, I love Jimmy's facial expression there. Such a perfect mixture of surprise, confusion, and a little anger with just a few lines and dots.

I kinda wonder why the organization that is tracking Jimmy is using the name Jimmy made up to describe his powers. They know his abilities and how to handle him, which implies that they dealt with someone similar before. And I would have thought they would have had their own jargon.

Course, that could be a silly inconsistency, or they simply liked his name better. I am going with the later.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Maybe he really is a demon.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Fortis posted:

One thing I actually like about the other thread is how people will post (rehosted!) pages from some comics. For every awful comic someone does that with, there's a genuinely good one too.
I'll be honest, I kept telling myself I'd check out Monster Pulse and never did, and I only did it because it was finally getting posted in there. And I really like it! Maybe I'm biased because I'm a creator whose comic has a stupid title (which I think makes people not want to check it out), but I think that the "Hey guys [webcomic] updated, it's very good" just doesn't get a lot of discussion going or motivate people to check it out. Full archive dumps are probably not a great idea, but there's probably a middle ground.

I agree with this post more than I could say

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Sluggy Freelance updated.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hogge Wild posted:

And it looks like poo poo is going down :stare:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hogge Wild posted:

That's still going? I stopped reading it over ten years ago! :stare:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

That's still going? I stopped reading it over ten years ago! :stare:

It may be mostly unreadable garbage, but it's a reliable comic that updates often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Unlucky7 posted:

I kinda wonder why the organization that is tracking Jimmy is using the name Jimmy made up to describe his powers. They know his abilities and how to handle him, which implies that they dealt with someone similar before. And I would have thought they would have had their own jargon.

Course, that could be a silly inconsistency, or they simply liked his name better. I am going with the later.

I also wonder how he apparently hadn't seen the driver-guy since the accident. Shouldn't he have seen the guy in court and noticed his daughter's head there?

• Locked thread