Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I just can't live without swipe select, auxo 2, and the ios8 quick reply is pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

F.lux is what is going to keep me fighting tooth and nail to jailbreak.

I literally cannot look at the phone screen when f.lux is disabled during evening hours. There are some other neat tweaks that are nice to have but f.lux is definitely the main reason I'm jailbreaking at this point.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why is it not in the App Store? They just don't want to bother going through whatever process it is to get something there?

There must be some weird Apple rule that doesn't allow it. Because so many people run it on PC these days They'd make a killing just charging a couple bucks

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Christoff posted:

Why is it not in the App Store? They just don't want to bother going through whatever process it is to get something there?

There must be some weird Apple rule that doesn't allow it. Because so many people run it on PC these days They'd make a killing just charging a couple bucks

It's a safe bet that overall system brightness/warmth isn't changeable via whatever settings APIs that iOS exposes.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

F.lux is what is going to keep me fighting tooth and nail to jailbreak.

F.lux and SMS on GV are about the only things I can think of. After using f.lux consistently for months the switch to an iphone 6 has claimed my eyes.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I need iCleaner.

Last month I noticed Facebook was taking up over 1 gig of space on my iPad, whereas the base app is around 100 mb. It was either something like iCleaner, or uninstall Facebook and reinstall, which is a pain to do often. AS well as clearing the 1gig Facebook's cache was talking up, it also released 4 gigs other apps I had no idea could take up so much space in caches were holding onto.

F.lux is great too.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
F.lux is a god damned necessity. My 6+ is still about two months away from shipping, according to at&t, and I'm anxious. :|

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Hell, I love it so much my PC has F.lux, too.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Yeah there's no real reason to JB just yet unless you want to mess around as a dev.

I don't know if doing iOS dev as a jailbreaker is feasible anymore. There was this thing called jailcoder for iOS 6 that was kinda plug-and-play for doing unsigned app dev, it never got updated.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bummey posted:

F.lux is a god damned necessity. My 6+ is still about two months away from shipping, according to at&t, and I'm anxious. :|

This is the best opinion you've ever expressed and largely why I haven't upgraded yet. I can't live without f.lux at this point.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I will likely update my 5S to 8.1 once PdaNet and Aria are updated. PdaNet is the main one, though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My god, i0n1c's twitter is an incredible stream of perpetual tears.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I'll jailbreak because I like adblock, that clear dock thing, nitro, and some other garbage. It's little tweaks that I use it for more than huge game changers.

I have to say using activator so you can disable turning off the phone on the lock screen is a great idea and I've never thought of that.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yay can't wait until the real end user release is out, with cydia

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

averox posted:

I'll jailbreak because I like adblock, that clear dock thing, nitro, and some other garbage. It's little tweaks that I use it for more than huge game changers.

FYI, nitro is no longer required as of iOS8. iOS apps using unwed views now get the faster JavaScript as well. One more thing apple finally fixed.

I'll always jailbreak for random tweaks. But it no longer keeps me from upgrading to the latest iOS and hoping someone finds a new exploit.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Moose-Alini posted:

Yay can't wait until the real end user release is out, with cydia

It'll be functionally no different. It's easy enough to install .deb files on a jb device without cydia and you'll still have the same problem: No cydia apps updated for 8.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Zigmidge posted:

It'll be functionally no different. It's easy enough to install .deb files on a jb device without cydia and you'll still have the same problem: No cydia apps updated for 8.

Oh I just googled it and the article made it sound really involved. Just running dpkg is easy

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Dromio posted:

FYI, nitro is no longer required as of iOS8. iOS apps using unwed views now get the faster JavaScript as well. One more thing apple finally fixed.

I'll always jailbreak for random tweaks. But it no longer keeps me from upgrading to the latest iOS and hoping someone finds a new exploit.

Wow no loving poo poo huh.

But yes there are still various tweaks that I install to make my devices feel more, I dunno, at home? I really hate that you can't set this dock bar clear.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I really want to upgrade my iPad to 8.1 and get continuity on it, but I use videopane too much to upgrade. I'm hoping it, or any similar tweaks, get upgraded before I lose my chance to upgrade and jailbreak.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
considering the latest developments it's almost a guarantee we get a proper user friendly jailbreak before apple releases a new IOS. just hold out until someone packages everything together/the tweaks you like get upgraded to work with the new jailbreak.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Denim Dude posted:

considering the latest developments it's almost a guarantee we get a proper user friendly jailbreak before apple releases a new IOS. just hold out until someone packages everything together/the tweaks you like get upgraded to work with the new jailbreak.

The bummer here is that iOS8.1 still has some substantial bugs. :\

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Pangu now comes with Cydia included.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/10/30/pangu-updated-with-cydia-installer/

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

awesome. Is there any difference between this process and the "old" jailbreaks I should know about? I haven't jailbroken an iPhone in 2 years.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guess I just need a Mac version and I'm good.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

JiUC posted:

awesome. Is there any difference between this process and the "old" jailbreaks I should know about? I haven't jailbroken an iPhone in 2 years.

Just follow the provided instructions.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
Is there any way to keep safari from reloading a page when I go back to it? for example, if I'm checking out gizmodo.com and I see an interesting article I will long press the link and open it in a new tab. I'll read it, close the tab to go back to gizmodo.com and safari reloads the page. Not only do I have to find my place again but I imagine It's eating up data.

Probably a question better suited for a general IOS thread but I don't know where that one is and this one is in my bookmarks.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Zigmidge posted:

Just follow the provided instructions.

thanks, it worked. Anyone have a list of useful cydia apps that are actually compatible with iOS8/iPhone 6? As I said I haven't done this in a while.

edit: I got flux, but I'd like to customize the lockscreen...

JiUC fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 30, 2014

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I can't for sure tell what version of pangu just came out with cydia rolled in... Is it 1.0.1? That idownloadblog links to that but says it came out over a week ago.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Moose-Alini posted:

I can't for sure tell what version of pangu just came out with cydia rolled in... Is it 1.0.1? That idownloadblog links to that but says it came out over a week ago.

I *just* jailbroke 8.1 with the latest pangu and the application said 1.0.1. Once everything booted back up, there was a blue Pangu app that let me install Cydia. Everything has been peachy since then.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I think the newest Pangu release is coming out tomorrow, no? Or is that today with time difference accounted for?

The one time a windows machine would be useful..

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Sunblood posted:

I *just* jailbroke 8.1 with the latest pangu and the application said 1.0.1. Once everything booted back up, there was a blue Pangu app that let me install Cydia. Everything has been peachy since then.

Aha thanks! I'm updating to 8.1 r'now!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just jailbroke my 6 Plus. It's the first device I've jailbroken since I had an iPhone 4. I've installed OpenSSH and Top (hey, what can I say,I like looking at running processes sometimes), f.lux and NoSlowAnimations, but I'm looking for some more things to install (unfortunately, BrowserChanger doesn't appear to work with iOS 8 yet). What do y'all have on your phones?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

lelandjs posted:

Just jailbroke my 6 Plus. It's the first device I've jailbroken since I had an iPhone 4. I've installed OpenSSH and Top (hey, what can I say,I like looking at running processes sometimes), f.lux and NoSlowAnimations, but I'm looking for some more things to install (unfortunately, BrowserChanger doesn't appear to work with iOS 8 yet). What do y'all have on your phones?

I don't have my 5S broken yet, but r/jailbreak's escape plan is a great guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/escapeplan

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Just jailbroke my 6 because of this and it worked without a single problem. Considering it's my first non-Android phone after 5 years in that camp and all the runarounds for rooting that stuff involved I didn't know what to expect, but that was quite painless. Looking forward to checking out all the tweaks as they get updated, seems to be a ton of useful ones out there.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't have my 5S broken yet, but r/jailbreak's escape plan is a great guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/escapeplan

thanks, this is great. I installed BatteryLife from Cydia but the icon doesn't show up on any of my home screens, any idea what the problem might be?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Also, here's a spreadsheet of tweaks, and how the fare with iOS 8.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Exactly what I came here for, thanks. Did this jailbreak not seem as smooth as the others to anyone else?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

UncleBlazer posted:

Exactly what I came here for, thanks. Did this jailbreak not seem as smooth as the others to anyone else?

Yeah I had a LOT of problems with my iPad, havnt done my phone yet. The bar would keep getting like 2/3 full then weird red moon language errors would pop up. I ended up restoring my phone, then it worked on the like third try. Idunno what was wrong, but got it in the end!

More detail:
The first time I did it, the progress bar flew through super fast and stopped about 90% in. The pangu icon was there so I thought, whatever, but it threw errors trying to install cydia. So I installed ssh with pangu to install cydia manually, but it wouldn't accept a connection from putty or winscp. That's when I tried a few more times with even less success to jailbreak. After I restored it, the progress bar took much longer to move, but kept stopping about 50% I was about to give up so hit the jailbreak button one more time and it went through without a hitch...

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 31, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do we know typically how long the delay on an OSX version tends to be? Probably hard to know, but I'm unable to jailbreak til then. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Windows 8.1 JB released. It's in English, and is bundled with Cydia.

As for a Mac verison, they tweeted this:

We will definitely release a Mac version. But pls give us some time. If there is no major problem for v1.1 we will then focus on Mac version

• Locked thread