Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Poil posted:

Yeah that would've been so much better. But, the childhood friend trope is too strong and must always come true I guess.

Gonna spoil the title of a series that avoids this: Tonari no Atashi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks, I'll read that. :)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

^^ edit, gently caress, beaten but :hf: anyway

jackofarcades posted:

Gonna spoil the title of a series that avoids this: Tonari no Atashi

Thanks, just finished Kaibutsu again and needed something new.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aaaand, finished. Hahaha, it was basically the exact same manga. Except with a better ending. Nothing too memorable, but it was fun enough.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's been a bunch of Ojojojo chapters released over the past week or so (latest is 25). It's still very good/cute/humorous, but also some plot now?? Worth a read, I reckon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

There's been a bunch of Ojojojo chapters released over the past week or so (latest is 25). It's still very good/cute/humorous, but also some plot now?? Worth a read, I reckon.

I swear to god this series is going to kill me with its swings between being adorable and incredibly lonely and worrying.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 23, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Poil, if you're looking for more yuri manga to read, you should check out Oosawa Yayoi's works (her last name has a lot of different translations). Very romantic author, with nothing explicit that might creep you out. Her favorite story of mine that I've read is called stay green?, which is incredibly cute and pretty short. Definitely worth a look.

But as far as story goes, "Dusk, Orange, the Blooming Flowers" is probably my favorite. Main girl hears a girl she hasn't talked to a lot is a lesbian, doesn't hold that against her or anything, and wants to learn more about her. They start becoming better friends very quickly, before main girl starts thinking she may be attracted to her friend. It certainly seems that her new friend is interested in her, but it turns out that the friend is a lesbian, but already has a girlfriend. The story ends with the friend admitting that, but the main girl still loves her friend just as much as before.

If you like really romantic yuri, can't go wrong with Oosawa Yayoi.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sylphid posted:

Poil, if you're looking for more yuri manga to read

http://bato.to/group/_/l/lililicious-r347

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Curl up with your meat pillow, it's a new chapter of Please Love the Useless Me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Baron Snow posted:

Curl up with your meat pillow, it's a new chapter of Please Love the Useless Me.
I love how her brain just malfunctions whenever meat is mentioned.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Taiyou no Ie 47. Well, that turned out to be a somewhat pointless plot thread.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

Taiyou no Ie 47. Well, that turned out to be a somewhat pointless plot thread.

Well, at least it wasn't full of drama, even if it did end up being somewhat pointless. Was hoping for some meeting between her parents for some type of closure there.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baron Snow posted:

God I love this series so much.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 24, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's paced way too slow for something we only get once every two blue moons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sylphid posted:

Poil, if you're looking for more yuri manga to read, you should check out Oosawa Yayoi's works (her last name has a lot of different translations). Very romantic author, with nothing explicit that might creep you out. Her favorite story of mine that I've read is called stay green?, which is incredibly cute and pretty short. Definitely worth a look.

If you like really romantic yuri, can't go wrong with Oosawa Yayoi.
Always looking for more. Thanks. :)

But I only found one story (collection?) and three oneshots.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Poil posted:

Always looking for more. Thanks. :)

But I only found one story (collection?) and three oneshots.

This is what I'm looking at, so yeah. She needs to have more of her stories translated if you ask me. She hits all the right notes for me.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I need to get around to browsing Dynasty scan's catalog. Since they don't like their stuff being rehosted, I forget to check their site and miss a lot of what they produce.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

fixed

Blhue posted:

I need to get around to browsing Dynasty scan's catalog. Since they don't like their stuff being rehosted, I forget to check their site and miss a lot of what they produce.
They've got a bunch of good stuff there, it's been harder to keep track of it all ever since they've started hosting doujin stuff too though. Ah well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have a quick question.

I do love romance and melodrama but I need more than that in mah shojo. I like action and/or fantasy or sci-fi elements. I just can't read a comic that is nothing but mundane everyday stuff. Maybe if it's really short but eh.

Furthermore, I have a really bad habit of not being able to focus on a series. There is just so much to read and watch in this world that getting it for free utterly trivializes its value for me. I'm like "oh, I can read that anytime so I can stop now and just come back to it later." I said that when i was reading Basara online about two years ago and I still haven't come back to it yet.

So here I am, with my question to you all.

Of Viz's Shojo Beat catalog, what would you recommend? And yes, I realize Basara is on there but I'll need to reread those first five volumes again and I don't feel like spending $35 on something I already read. I want to try out a new series but there's so much to choose from and I just can't make up my mind.

They also need to collect Basara into VIZBIG or 3-in-1 Editions. That's how I got NGE without going completely broke buying all 13 volumes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fushigi Yuugi fits your criteria I think. However I fully admit that I am bit biased regarding that show/manga because it was one of the first shoujo series I ever watched; people have a lot of issues with the main character and the, uh, situations she gets herself into.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh I've watched the FY anime already actually. Liked it quite a bit. Granted, the excellent music probably helped.

I have wanted to read the manga because I hear it is at least decently different. Gives a bit morE character to Miaka and whatnot. Plus pretty much everyone I talk to online says Genbu Kaiden is a fantastic work and benefits a lot from Watase having another decade or so to improve art and writing ability. But I'd like to read the FY manga and reacquaint myself with the story again because the storyline in GK was sort of outlined in FY I think. Or at least how it ended.

My overall impression of FY was positive but I recognize it had many problems.

But yeah, might be a good idea to get FY. I've mostly forgotten a lot about the second half of it. Plus it comes in VIZBIG Editions.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 26, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've only read the first few volumes, but Red River is really good and fits your criteria. The premise is pretty similar to Fushigi Yuugi but executed much better with a much more likeable protagonist.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I've only read the first few volumes, but Red River is really good and fits your criteria. The premise is pretty similar to Fushigi Yuugi but executed much better with a much more likeable protagonist.

I second Red River. I finished that one recently and absolutely adored it. I've been looking for similar manga ever since.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Thirding Red River. The protagonist is really pro-active despite being in constant danger, but the manga never stops with the melodrama and romance. It's a fun one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Fushigi Yuugi, since nobody mentioned it yet, I've seen the entire anime for Saiunkoku Monogatari twice, and I'm currently considering rewatching again (it's been 3+ years again).

It has a similar ancient China vibe, but it's so so much better IMO. I can't recommend this enough, easily one of my favourite shoujo titles. It's got two seasons of 39 eps each, but IIRC it's not too slow at all. It's not focused on romance, but there is a kind of a reverse harem thing going on through most of it. The protagonist is pretty awesome, and don't even get me started about her dad. :3:

My only problem is, while it doesn't end abruptly mid-arc as a lot of anime do, the overarching story isn't finished. The anime covered 12 of the 14 volumes that were out at the time, but the whole story is 18 volumes now. I hope someone eventually gets to either translating the novels or animating the final 6 volumes.

Yeah, like that'll ever happen. :sigh: Maybe I'll eventually just buy the original books, since it's shoujo any words I fail at should be furigana'd.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

For fantasy shoujo I've been enjoying Akatsuki no Yona quite a lot too, again its similar-ish to Fushigi Yugi, with a competent heroine. The translation up on Batoto is pretty decent too.

I have no idea if it's been licensed or not yet though, so if you're looking for books to buy it might not be what you want

Red River is also excellent!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Just blitzed through Inari Konkon Koi Iroha.

Jesus gently caress the cliffhanger from the latest chapter. I think that instead of Inari sucking the divine power out of Uka, this time it's Uka who's unconsciously taking the humanity from Inari? So Inari can't control the divine power flowing into her in exchange

I also started watching a couple episodes of the anime. After hearing standard Japanese in most anime, it's really strange listening to an anime where everyone is speaking in Kansai-ben.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I also started watching a couple episodes of the anime. After hearing standard Japanese in most anime, it's really strange listening to an anime where everyone is speaking in Kansai-ben.

Have you watched Lovely Complex? Because if you like the Kansai regional accent you will looove LoveCom.

It is also awesome for any number of other reasons.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 27, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

a kitten posted:

Have you watched Lovely Complex? Because if you like the Kansai regional accent you will looove LoveCom.

It is also awesome for any number of other reasons.
Whenever I go through this thread to see if I've missed some recommendation, there's always that .gif on the first post of the second page, just sitting there. I don't know how many times I've seen it now.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Tarezax posted:

Just blitzed through Inari Konkon Koi Iroha.

Jesus gently caress the cliffhanger from the latest chapter. I think that instead of Inari sucking the divine power out of Uka, this time it's Uka who's unconsciously taking the humanity from Inari? So Inari can't control the divine power flowing into her in exchange

I read it more as Uka becoming more human and thus losing her divinity, causing Inari to take on more of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just blitzed through all of Horimiya and Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai... goddamnit, this thread is just going to make my shoujo/josei/romance manga addiction worse, isn't it?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's the second best thing about it. :)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know why I keep reading Seo Kouji. His works have been poo poo since Suzaka, yet I keep reading them for some reason. And now he trolls with the M. Night level twist in his latest story. The name of the manga, who's named after the protagonist's girlfriend, died

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Let's be fair, Suzuka was pretty bad, too. Or, at least, the ending pissed me the hell off.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I haven't read anything of his in a while, but doesn't every "twist" of his involve the guy & girl splitting up in the last third of the manga due to ~real life issues~? I thought his whole gimmick was writing a happy love story that then falls apart the second everyone graduates from high school.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's sort of what happens in Suzuka? Guy meets girl, guy falls in love with girl, guy cheats on girl, girl leaves, girl returns after high school, guy and girl fall in love again, girl gets pregnant, ending plotline becomes about marriage and abortion and how both guy and girl must give up on their futures and desires and goals because abortion is evil.

Wait, what?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mors Rattus posted:

That's sort of what happens in Suzuka? Guy meets girl, guy falls in love with girl, guy cheats on girl, girl leaves, girl returns after high school, guy and girl fall in love again, girl gets pregnant, ending plotline becomes about marriage and abortion and how both guy and girl must give up on their futures and desires and goals because abortion is evil.

Wait, what?

And then that kid dies 16 years later anyways since she was supposedly the heroine of Fuuka. Seo Kouji just likes to put his characters through never-ending trauma, even to characters whose stories you assumed would be done by now. I only keep reading his series out of twisted curiosity to see what bullshit he'll pull out next. Kimi no Iru Machi just reveled in jerking the reader around about the main couple continually being split apart due to stupid circumstances or stupid opinions, as well as the cheating on the girl nonsense.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 27, 2014

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

New Cherry Boy, That Girl ! This has been my favorite webtoon so far.

Also new Henyoku no Labyrinth.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, what?

The baby that they decided to keep is the named character in the title of his current work. She also just died from getting hit by a loving truck, just like Suzuka's ex-boyfriend, rendering the entire "choose life" poo poo from Suzuka pointless. Then the lovely kid from the the lovely couple in Kimi no Iru Machi came out to troll the main character about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here's a new chapter of Hajiotsu, in which some story actually happens.