Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TehKeen posted:

What is everyone's opinion on the German Recon's scout car? I'm getting close-ish to going recon and I was wondering if I should be looking forward to unlocking it. :)
You may get a chance to use it like once every 100 games. Maybe less. I kinda regret getting it because it gets no mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Nitrox posted:

You may get a chance to use it like once every 100 games. Maybe less. I kinda regret getting it because it gets no mileage.

This, plus it's one of the only vehicles that forces multicrewing- you need a second person in order to use the main gun. I'm also pretty sure you can be sniped out of it.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
... I use the scout vehicle very frequently.

FYI - hitting "c" switches your seat ... A second person can't shoot for poo poo driving anyhow. The main gun is nice and can take out light tanks. Definitely go for it.

E: this is one of those vehies designed for solo use...

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 15, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

And while we're talking about vehicles, it is possible to equip both infantry and AT upgrades on a kubelwagen at the same time or must I choose?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TehKeen posted:

And while we're talking about vehicles, it is possible to equip both infantry and AT upgrades on a kubelwagen at the same time or must I choose?

You can only have 1 equipped at a time.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Played this for the first time with a full squad of 6. It's fun when we get good maps but any time we got maps with tanks, or to a lesser extent, planes, we got farmed. Bazooka should be available from the start.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

alg posted:

Played this for the first time with a full squad of 6. It's fun when we get good maps but any time we got maps with tanks, or to a lesser extent, planes, we got farmed. Bazooka should be available from the start.

Panzerfausts usually are. It takes 3-4 to bring down a tank, with 6 people and a jeep, it should never be a problem.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
A jeep packed with 6 guys driving near tanks. I suggest that only if you're playing US.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

Panzerfausts usually are. It takes 3-4 to bring down a tank, with 6 people and a jeep, it should never be a problem.

The dispenser allows only one out at a time, with a cool-down in between. Get sticky grenades.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_MqlAjJu2E

New build has arrived, let's hope this new supply system gives US a chance of winning a war 1 out of 10 times instead of 1 out of 1000.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Triple A posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_MqlAjJu2E

New build has arrived, let's hope this new supply system gives US a chance of winning a war 1 out of 10 times instead of 1 out of 1000.

Can't fix stupid.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Every map I join as a paratrooper, there are no planes. But that's not all. There is never any infantry support, just para, tanks and planes. Enemy infantry scatter like roaches and win maps by the handful while we suck our thumbs and do gently caress all. Yes, we definitely need 2 squads of heavy tanks against several squads of motorized infantry, that will win the battle. Good job Gen Retard

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Nitrox posted:

Every map I join as a paratrooper, there are no planes. But that's not all. There is never any infantry support, just para, tanks and planes. Enemy infantry scatter like roaches and win maps by the handful while we suck our thumbs and do gently caress all. Yes, we definitely need 2 squads of heavy tanks against several squads of motorized infantry, that will win the battle. Good job Gen Retard

The best is when you have a squad of Heavy or Medium tanks, but no one in the game is qualified to use them, so they just sit there taking up a useful spot instead.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This is unfolding to be something magical. Paratroopers seem to be the core of german operations, I routinely see several squads of them deployed and nothing else. Against diverse allied force that can easily overwhelm with numbers and firepower. I think Germany is being trolled right now, nobody could be that stupid unintentionally... The bitching and moaning from fellow para is through the roof. People join in, see the loadouts and rage quit within a minute. I'm switching to infantry, because gently caress this noise forever. Only 38k to lieutenant rank

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You know the only coordination between generals is whatever blobs they own and whoever is in chat at the time, right? There isn't some mystical thing. poo poo, you can't even see what's going on somewhere unless you have a unit there.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

You know the only coordination between generals is whatever blobs they own and whoever is in chat at the time, right? There isn't some mystical thing. poo poo, you can't even see what's going on somewhere unless you have a unit there.
I never played as a General. It takes something like 6 months of everyday gameplay to reach that spot. Are you telling me that general deploys 1 unit each or something? He/she can't just select 4 infantry, 1 tank, 1 para and 1 recon to be deployed together? Because if they can, gently caress talking to other pubbies. That loadout is enough to win 80% of assaults

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Artless Meat posted:

The best is when you have a squad of Heavy or Medium tanks, but no one in the game is qualified to use them, so they just sit there taking up a useful spot instead.

This is only a major problem on the US side, since nobody's gonna put down real money on a Sherman or a Pershing.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Is anyone else suddenly getting a ton of database connection errors? It's constantly booting me out of matches. :(

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Nitrox posted:

I never played as a General. It takes something like 6 months of everyday gameplay to reach that spot. Are you telling me that general deploys 1 unit each or something? He/she can't just select 4 infantry, 1 tank, 1 para and 1 recon to be deployed together? Because if they can, gently caress talking to other pubbies. That loadout is enough to win 80% of assaults

You'd have to get enough general-dollars to buy each AT. Infantry is the cheapest at "gently caress you", with tanks and planes especially being rather expensive.

I don't think you can equip all those ATs, either.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

You'd have to get enough general-dollars to buy each AT. Infantry is the cheapest at "gently caress you", with tanks and planes especially being rather expensive.

I don't think you can equip all those ATs, either.
That makes sense. I still don't get how we end up with nothing but the expensive troops on the field and no infantry.

Does having a bazooka equipped puts me into a different category? Because search time just doubled

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

Does having a bazooka equipped puts me into a different category? Because search time just doubled

It should not matter.

e: how the hell did Germany win that last war?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gerbil_Pen posted:

It should not matter.

e: how the hell did Germany win that last war?
Server reset and Germany was declared a winner when it went back online. Many unhappy people in chat. Also, there is now a chat window that allows you to talk to privte groups, your side of the conflict, or everyone in general.

P>S> Nobody ever in mumble :(

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The RTS portion was a decent way to waste time, but the queue for ATs now is dumb as poo poo. It might change the outcome of a war (which has zero practical consequence) but makes the game slower... which is really unfun.

e:

Nitrox posted:

I still don't get how we end up with nothing but the expensive troops on the field and no infantry.

I blame the queue

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 24, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So bazooka is my new favorite boomstick. With silver hoarder badge it has 6 shots, which is enough to remove 3-4 light tanks out of the game. Combined with MP40 and one of every type of vehicle, I'm changing course of the battle all by my lonesome. The best story so far is the allied tanker, who popped his head out of the hatch to see me standing behind him, aiming the bazooka. So I shot him directly in the face and took his Hellcat. Feels good, man.

I am however really really pissed off that Fallschirmgewehr 42 is only available to you when you're a paratrooper. $298,500 it costs, and it only unlocks when you're at the end of your para career. And then gently caress you, can't equip it when you're back on infantry. Maybe there should be a note or something, because it's alot of loving money. To top it off, it's not a very good gun at all. The whole point of it, is that there is supposed to be a switchable single shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozPqC4JANQ

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 24, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

That reminds me of one of my greatest achievements in this game so far. It was the airfield map and I was playing my scoped K98 infantry guy. I was trying to go up into the hills to get a sniping vantage point and came across a guy in a chaffee roughly where I was planning on going. I was moving in to plant some AT grenades when he just popped out of the tank so I murdered him with the pistol and then stole his tank and proceeded to kill three more allied tanks with it.

:getin:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Playing as america and this is fun once you play with friends and get to the second tier of gameplay.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Can you play this with more than 6 friends? A few times my group has had to split up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

If you que as an infantry unit you can be 6. I do not think you can que as a larger group.

your friends can queue for your game though through the friends list if you are friends with each other

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Not sure if game is full but queuing for a friend's game never seems to work.

I discovered this game a couple of weeks ago and it was surprisingly fun. Reminds me of the fun I had in bf2, something the newer battlefields haven't seems to replicate

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It can work but it takes a long time if it is a good match.

Other than that, you guys could try to join a specific mission all at once.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's official, the new S build sucks bunches.

You can spend all night waiting to deploy your ATs in the RTS side, and we all know that sitting and waiting on a week night for 6 hours is great game design that keeps you coming back for more!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Something is terribly hosed when it comes to balance. One side always have ridiculous advantage and steamrolls another, no exception. Haven't seen a balanced matched since the update came out. Attack/defense doesn't matter. Also, 2800+ per team is the most I've ever seen play online. There are however ridiculous number of thompson-wielding bazooka man in Ally infantry ranks. All while half of German soldiers show up with KAR98 and run for the hills to play sniper for some dumb reason.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I never saw too many americans pull out a bazooka most of the time I played or germans. That is until I got in a tank then it is one or two guys who always come find you.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

I never saw too many americans pull out a bazooka most of the time I played or germans. That is until I got in a tank then it is one or two guys who always come find you.

The key to tanks in this game is to constantly move. Unless you're in a heavy tank, then you're screwed.

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

The key to tanks in this game is to constantly move. Unless you're in a heavy tank, then you're screwed.

This is good advice. Another trick to keep in mind is, if you don't have any enemy tanks to square off with or if you're trying to put pressure on a point, then parking yourself between the point you're attacking and the point your team's infantry is coming from is a good way to stay safe too. You can't really depend on your team going out of their way to help protect you, but if killing dudes with rockets and antitank grenades is something they can do as they pass by, then they become pretty reliable protection for you.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

I was sitting outside an enemy point, waiting for reinforcements to get close enough so I could get in cap. In the meantime 3 defenders ran out of the building while another arrived by car, all with thompsons. German tank came into view, with no infantry support of course, and all 4 of those guys pulled out bazookas. That was the moment I realized that we're not going to do very well here. And also watching my fellow teammates run across the field on foot in a straight line, conveniently ignoring a bike, a truck and other vehicles spawning nearby.

But other tanks or not, if your tank is ahead of infantry, you done hosed up. A tank engine near cap point is music to my ears because I have a bazooka in my loadout and it takes very few shots to make you not exist. Except a Hellcat, loving thing takes 4 rockets to kill.

Edit: Just left the game where out of 20 people I was the only person with an APC, the rest of the assault team was forced to run on foot or share a single bicycle spawn. All new people with mp34s and starting rifles. The defending infantry had BARs, bazookas and N74s, which is pretty much an endgame content.

Seriously, it's like every veteran went to play Allies for the last 2 wars.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 2, 2014

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Kar98k significantly better than the Gewehr 43? Also, is there a way to make crouch a toggle command so I don't have to hold it down? Thanks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

L-Boned posted:

Is the Kar98k significantly better than the Gewehr 43? Also, is there a way to make crouch a toggle command so I don't have to hold it down? Thanks.
If you're engaging at 75+ meters then yes. It's terrible in close quarters, where an infantry soldier should spend 50% of his time. You could however equip K98 and SMG34 together and be stingy with ammo. Best all around gun for me has been mp40, I've shot people anywhere from point blank to 100m away. 32 round mag will work in a last ditch pray and spray effort.

I doubt you could change registry key functions and not get flagged by the anti-cheat software.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 2, 2014

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

L-Boned posted:

Bolt-actions are way better than semi-autos after you mod them to become OHK railguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
It's not a bad F2P and it's good that it is F2P because the interface through steam and the numerous errors I've had trying to log on are horrendous. It seems to work when it wants to. Other than that it has good potential as a time waster.

• Locked thread