Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zoux posted:

So the leaked trailer made me wonder: has Hulkbuster armor ever worked?

It always makes fans go, "Oooooh! The Hulkbuster! Now things are going to get real!" That's a kind of working, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It always makes fans go, "Oooooh! The Hulkbuster! Now things are going to get real!" That's a kind of working, I guess.

The last time I can remember he busted it out was during WWH and he got whooped bad. Have Hulkbuster SHIELD teams ever worked vs. the Hulk?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Bear in mind the Hulkbuster armor used in World War Hulk was sabotaged by HYDRA before Iron Man's fight with the Hulk; he didn't have any of the power-dampening technology he was supposed to have (and had previously depowered She-Hulk, so it was even field-tested). He was stuck firing blanks, essentially.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bear in mind the Hulkbuster armor used in World War Hulk was sabotaged by HYDRA before Iron Man's fight with the Hulk; he didn't have any of the power-dampening technology he was supposed to have (and had previously depowered She-Hulk, so it was even field-tested). He was stuck firing blanks, essentially.

Was that in one of the tie ins because I don't remember that at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also Hulk was at the strongest he has ever been, so the Hulkbuster might have worked before but in this situation he was hosed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Hulk was at the strongest he has ever been, so the Hulkbuster might have worked before but in this situation he was hosed.

It would have been even better if Stark had had all his special ammo and still gotten his rear end beat down.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hulkbuster armor basically can't work, because it's only ever going to be as strong as Tony built it to be, and Hulk's response to any amount of strength is to get mad at it until he's stronger.

But, y'know, go tell Tony Stark that some problems can't be solved by building Iron Man suits at them, see how that goes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It can work if you're trying to slow Hulk down or contain him, but it suffers the same problem as anybody else going up against him.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

zoux posted:

Was that in one of the tie ins because I don't remember that at all.

It was in Avengers: the Initiative; Hardball stole some of the SPIN technology for HYDRA. If memory serves, in World War Hulk you see Iron Man try and use the tech, only to be surprised when it doesn't work.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I do seem to remember that. The Initiative tie-in for World War Hulk is the only one I remember with any fondness.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It can work if you're trying to slow Hulk down or contain him, but it suffers the same problem as anybody else going up against him.

It seems like the ideal use of it would be like how Batman uses the suit against Superman in TDKR, but I never see Tony do that much planning. He always gets caught up in the brawl.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ror posted:

It seems like the ideal use of it would be like how Batman uses the suit against Superman in TDKR
Get off one good punch and then die convincingly?

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 23, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The very first time the Hulkbuster suit ever showed up was was in an Ironman two parter. And in that one, the armour does well against the Hulk (basically they are shown being well matched.)

Funnily enough at no stage in that story is the suit ever called Hulkbuster, just a heavy duty exo-armour.

In all other fights against Hulk it hasn't done well. But the amour did show up in Knuff's run on Iron-Man after he got the Extremis upgrade. Basically the Hulkbuster suit was hyjacked and sent to kill the Avengers. It wrecked the Avenger's team and only Ironman was able to stop the suit from killing Captain America.

In a tragic state of affairs, Ironman has never said the lines "Who are you Gonna' call" or "I aint afraid of No Hulks" while wearing this armour in 616 continuity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's really strange how most people remember that fight as "Batman won".

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's really strange how most people remember that fight as "Batman won".
I count every day I'm not killed by an extraterrestrial a victory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

Lex was Right

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

In a tragic state of affairs, Ironman has never said the lines "Who are you Gonna' call" or "I aint afraid of No Hulks" while wearing this armour in 616 continuity.

(IIRC, this was the first time they actually used Hulkbusters in the comics, too...)

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I mean technically his plan went off without a hitch, he just didn't plan on winning that fight. :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's like the spear throw in 300.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The last time I can remember he busted it out was during WWH and he got whooped bad. Have Hulkbuster SHIELD teams ever worked vs. the Hulk?

Have SHIELD teams ever worked against anything? I mean, maybe if Nick Fury is leading them personally or something, but let's be real, SHIELD and HYDRA are totally suited to be eternal enemies because both consist entirely of a few memorable characters behind an army of redshirts that do nothing but get owned in every one of their appearances.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

A pyrrhic victory still has the word "victory" in it :colbert:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Why doesn't he always use the Hulkbuster for everything ever.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hes trying to reduce his carbon footprint. Think global, act local.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

You can't perform brain surgery with a chainsaw.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You can't perform brain surgery with a chainsaw.

See, you say 'can't'....

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dr. Doom did, on the Hulk, and the chainsaws were adamantium.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Have SHIELD teams ever worked against anything? I mean, maybe if Nick Fury is leading them personally or something, but let's be real, SHIELD and HYDRA are totally suited to be eternal enemies because both consist entirely of a few memorable characters behind an army of redshirts that do nothing but get owned in every one of their appearances.

The end to Zero Tolerance, and the defeat of Bastion, boiled down to "and then SHIELD shows up, and Bastion is hosed".

It happens occasionally, just not very often.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

In a What If from when he first joined the X-men he was secretly working for Magneto. In the end he double crosses Mags, and Magneto, in a fit of murderous rage, pops Wolverine's claws and has Wolverine decapitate himself. He didn't survive that one.

Not quite. Magneto only made him cut his own throat up (coincidentally the same way Wolverine killed Hulk in the beginning of the issue). Wolverine was still able to have some dying words to Jean before going out. This was the early 80's, long before the power creep.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

Tony doesn't want people thinking he looks fat.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

zoux posted:

So the leaked trailer made me wonder: has Hulkbuster armor ever worked?

It's worked about as well as everything else that goes up against the Hulk.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Reed Richards ever been a herald of Galactus? What Ifs count.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm going to count Earth X even though it's not what you meant

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Opopanax posted:

I'm going to count Earth X even though it's not what you meant

That's fine. I was reading Secret Wars and it touched on Reed's relationship with Galactus so I wonder if that sort of thing happened anywhere, and how did it go.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

That's fine. I was reading Secret Wars and it touched on Reed's relationship with Galactus so I wonder if that sort of thing happened anywhere, and how did it go.

The best is Reed's son's herald.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Come to me my Galactus.

Hickman FF is like, absurdly good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Come to me my Galactus.

Hickman FF is like, absurdly good.

I always wonder at what point he had that idea. Future Franklin comes in fairly early as a weird voice in the corner, but the whole "Franklin Richards only had one herald" was that always part of the plan, or something Hickman came up with after the ball started rolling.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hickman doesn't seem like the type to shoot from the hip, I imagine it was mostly planned out early on

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Schneider Heim posted:

Sort of. There's an issue What If the Silver Surfer Had Not Betrayed Galactus, where Surfer yoinks the Ultimate Nullifier out of Reed's hands. The Avengers show up, get absolutely stomped and Galactus feasts on Earth. The only survivors are the Fantastic Four, Alicia, Wasp and Dr. Doom. Doom tries to steal Surfer's powers, but they end up destroying each other. Reed gets his hands on the Nullifier again and gets in Galactus' face, this time loving pissed off and ready to use it simply out of vengeance. But he can't bring himself to do it and surrenders it.

Galactus decides that he's misjudged those on the planets he feeds from, based on Reed's wisdom and the fact that he had the drop on him twice. The Fantastic Four, Alicia and Wasp seek out uninhabited worlds for Galactus to feast on, while trying to help him reconnect with his lost humanity. So he's a herald, but not in the shiny, cosmic sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Any good comics podcasts to look out for? I'm looking for more in the conversational vein, rather than interview-types like Kieron Gillen's where he just interviews creators about their latest product.