Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Like he says, one day I will invade your 5 militia provinces.

just bumped them all up to 6, now I'm safe forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
more pd better than

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Smarms get into contact with me about Noobgame. I'm on IRC a lot.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Boing posted:

Could you explain what your in-game strategy would be with that choice of scales and that pretender? All the basic troops except Vestals are resource-heavy, so going Sloth 3 makes it seem like you're relying exclusively on Vestals in the early game. But then you're blessing them with E4 D4 N9 which doesn't seem to do much at all for them. Is Cold3 just a dump scale or is there some synergy to it (Don't your human troops tire out more easily, which means your thaumaturgs are summoning less skeletons)? Sceleria seem like they want a lot of money for all those temples and indie priests. What are the research targets? I know the pretender E4 is for forging dwarven hammers but what else is there in Earth to tech toward?

I was actually looking at a Titan of Rivers because of the native water gem income she gets, which is useful for bootstrapping into water summons and water sitesearching and so on (but again, I wouldn't know what to actually do with it).

Sorry if I'm being dense, choice of strategy still doesn't come very easily to me with a new nation. I appreciate the help!

e: Aren't Skull Mentors what death nations are meant to use for research boosts? +18 RP sounds like a lot!

JBrereton has much more experience than me but i'm gonna throw in some things that I kinda disagree with

-I've tested both and I'm an S9 fan for Sceleria. As a bless for vestals, their protection is garbage but their defense is huge, negating that first attack just flat out works better for expansion, which I don't think he's necessarily contesting. An immobile S9 can still teleport at thaum 3, and you get the oracle chasis which means better scales than other X9 blesses.

-I have done small communions as Sceleria and with power of the spheres path boosting plus M3 dominion I honestly had to work to kill my slaves, even after enchantment 5. By the time it really matters (due to enemy fatigue enchantments) you hopefully have tricks available like propagating soul vortex with regenerating units set to guard commander.

-I prefer m3 scales and good econ scales. You live and die by your research but your non-cap forts are making rp 9 researchers while every one of your cap only mages is reanimating. This is a problem. m3 also reduces spellcasting fatigue in your dominion AND reduces MR in your dominion. You're not ermor and easier banishment is a small price to pay for mr penetration on all the astral + death spells in your arsenal. Undead chaff is called chaff for a reason, it's okay if it dies. Meanwhile you're rolling against mr on stuff that actually matters, like apostasy, enslave mind, and all the death spell effects.

-your A random thaumaturgs should be guarded carefully. You will eventually run into things that skelespam just cannot kill. When this happens, throw up dark skies and wait for the morale route. Later on, throw up wind of death as well (it's mr negates easily, and you're the guy with a + mr bless, antimagic access, and scales that reduce MR)

There are other important things but I think they're obvious. Longdead spam forever. Cold3 and sloth3 were not things I considered since an S9 oracle can go Order3 Growth3 Magic3 dom 8, but you could wake it up earlier for better domspread and trade out on really good principes (sloth) or worse econ (cold).

edit: Also one of these days I'm gonna get burned by this but I'll be damned if thinking "ehh magic diversity will solve itself somehow" hasn't actually worked for me like three games in a row now. Thrones giving really good recruitable mages, plus watching your neighbors for choice indies and their own thrones is pretty reliable even if you get screwed by indie mage roulette.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 21, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Due to all the games that seem to be ending now and in memory of several unfortunate souls, I'm throwing up a pudmod MA game, hitler retard betrayer. Totally standard settings, nothing particularly special. Just pudmod.

http://brainwrinkle.net/games/205

pudmod is available here and the complete changelog is here.

crossposting this, it needs a few more people

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Just a shoutout to all the goons who have patiently helped me figure out this horrible game, both in this thread and IRC. You guys/girls are great, I genuinely appreciate your tireless commitment to making me less of a poo poo noob.

Ok carry on with the thread

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

TheresNoThyme posted:

JBrereton has much more experience than me but i'm gonna throw in some things that I kinda disagree with

-I've tested both and I'm an S9 fan for Sceleria. As a bless for vestals, their protection is garbage but their defense is huge, negating that first attack just flat out works better for expansion, which I don't think he's necessarily contesting. An immobile S9 can still teleport at thaum 3, and you get the oracle chasis which means better scales than other X9 blesses.

While I appreciate what the +MR and Twist Fate and a couple more scales does for you, I will always stand by W9 being a superior Scelaria bless because the Vestals need help killing things with their dinky spears.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
In my experience, a few extra swings with their spears won't break through Ulm's Prot or do enough damage-per-square vs something like Ashdod giants. It's not really worth investing in an offensive bless for them unless it's F9. Even then, I feel that's wasteful too, because you just won't be using Shadow Vestals past the first year or two.

They're too fragile vs magic to be useful later in the game.

I do like S9 though because it does help with early expansion and it's helpful on your Thaumaturges later. Extra MR is nice when you're casting stuff like Astral Tempest and Soul Drain, and Twist Fate is basically doubling their health in an environment now full of things like Earthquake traps and Rains of Stones. An S9 pretender with good scales has its perks, too.

edit: and just as a final thought, Shadow Vestals, Sceleria skelly reanimation, good 10/20 infantry and their gladiators make it very easy to expand without a bless at all. It's just a preference thing for them.

Have Some Flowers! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 22, 2014

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
So, raiding and pillaging.

In one of my games, my cap has been all but razed to the ground by what I think is Raid actions. For multiple turns I have received 4-6 messages to the effect of "an enemy force has raided <province>. XXXX people have been killed", killing pop and raising unrest.

1) I own this province, so straight-up pillaging is impossible.
2) The provinces bordering my cap that are not owned by me are an indy throne, or owned by LA Man.
3) My other most immediate neighbours are LA TC and Bogarus.
3a) LA TC has plenty of troops with a pillage bonus, meaning that they have access to the Raid command, but they do not own any of the immediately-neighbouring provinces. But LA TC's stealthy units are only their scout, who does not have a pillage bonus, so can't Raid.
3b) Bogarus has stealthy unrest-producers, but no units with a pillage bonus, so can't Raid.
4) Caelum is not in the game. LA Pan is ~3 provs away, and they have stealthy fliers, but they still shouldn't be able to Raid.
5) This is early-game so the odds of someone managing to forge 4-6 Implementor Axes (and acquire some means of flight) are pretty slim.

Can someone explain how this is possible?

Whoever's responsible, congrats on making a province worthless, I guess?

Lastly, apparently the upper Unrest limit is 500, which is a bit obscene, but there we are.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TC probably rushed const 4 and is hitting you with flying scouts wielding axes. You can get the whole implementor axe thing rolling in year 2.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
And people would get miffed at me when I would say that the Bogus Target Commander bug wasn't an exploit. The flying raider poo poo seems pretty loving broken.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
poo poo happens, in one game I was losing I suddenly noticed my enemies' cap close enough for hurricanes to reach him, so I went through my stockpile of air gems to drop multiple hurricanes per turn until I ran empty.

I guess he didn't like that either.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I always wonder why Desura has a weird obsession of trying to thug anything that has two arms and magic paths.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

I always wonder why Desura has a weird obsession of trying to thug anything that has two arms and magic paths.

Extension of dumb Dom3 guides advocating the same thing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

poo poo happens, in one game I was losing I suddenly noticed my enemies' cap close enough for hurricanes to reach him, so I went through my stockpile of air gems to drop multiple hurricanes per turn until I ran empty.
You don't get any direct benefit from hurricaning your opponent's cap with a jillion gem's worth of spells, and they could at least protect themselves a little with domes provided it was mid-late game.

Raiding with flying implementor axes gives you money as well as ruining someone else's provinces, and you can't do anything about it other than clear every loving province within a 3-prov radius of anything you consider important, which isn't usually all that plausible.

I'm deliberately not doing it in an LA Caelum game because there's bad form and then there's Airya scouts with Implementor Axes.

e: btw garth/modpud I like the MA/LA pythium switch in Pudmod, but maybe give Serpent Cult Pythium's Comitatense troops shittier armour?

They're basically impervious to MA indies, including most heavy cav, and unlike Ulm's Morningstar/Shield troops which have about equal protection, they have MA 3, more AP, 10 defence before parry, and a back-up/ranged weapon (although they do cost more upkeep, to be fair).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 22, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

You don't get any direct benefit from hurricaning your opponent's cap with a jillion gem's worth of spells, and they could at least protect themselves a little with domes provided it was mid-late game.

Raiding with flying implementor axes gives you money as well as ruining someone else's provinces, and you can't do anything about it other than clear every loving province within a 3-prov radius of anything you consider important, which isn't usually all that plausible.

I know this was just a special case in the early game, where my cap was under siege and evoc 4 was literally the only thing I had researched, it was just a last "gently caress you" before going under.

But on the other hand, fiaxing (flying implementor axing) sounds pretty evil. I guess the only counter is noticing which player is doing this to you and making a note like: -If you join a game with this player, take a nation which can raid, rush construction 4, try to get close to him with an ungodly amount of those things, start fiaxing him to death.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
It's a legitimate tactic, but I can't help feeling that this early in a game, it's not going to pay off in the long run. While you're spending a considerable number of gems on this, and ruining territory you hope to soon conquer, other players are spending their resources on not such short-term measures, and taking territory that is in better condition.

Meh.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FnF posted:

So, raiding and pillaging.

In one of my games, my cap has been all but razed to the ground by what I think is Raid actions. For multiple turns I have received 4-6 messages to the effect of "an enemy force has raided <province>. XXXX people have been killed", killing pop and raising unrest.

Whoever's responsible, congrats on making a province worthless, I guess?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

TC probably rushed const 4 and is hitting you with flying scouts wielding axes. You can get the whole implementor axe thing rolling in year 2.

How is the formula of raiding a normal province vs raiding a province with fort? I was thinking that forts should provide help against raiding, and more a fort with all the upgrades. And the capital is a province with upgraded fort.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 22, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

FnF posted:

It's a legitimate tactic, but I can't help feeling that this early in a game, it's not going to pay off in the long run. While you're spending a considerable number of gems on this, and ruining territory you hope to soon conquer, other players are spending their resources on not such short-term measures, and taking territory that is in better condition.

Meh.

I'd consider it a legitimate tactic if the only way to counter it wasn't Perpetual Storm OR making sure you have at least a 3 province buffer between anything you care about and anyone else. It's an exploit, pure and simple, and the fact it's cropping up from more people in more games is kind of depressing. :shrug:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

All tactics in video games are legitimate... until the day the devs comes and makes a nerf in response to the tactic, signaling it wasn't 100% "legitimate" all along.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It's broken as hell and we have actually posted on desura about it a bunch of times to maybe fix it with very little response. If I start anymore games it will include a mod that moves implementor axe to const8, which will remove the most egregious method of generating remote pillage.

You could still do it with barbarian leaders or whatever with flying boots but that is VASTLY less efficient (raid efficiency is heavily affected by pillage strength and fear, both of which are granted by the axe) and also gem expensive so I don't think it would matter nearly as much.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

jBrereton posted:

e: btw garth/modpud I like the MA/LA pythium switch in Pudmod, but maybe give Serpent Cult Pythium's Comitatense troops shittier armour?

They're basically impervious to MA indies, including most heavy cav, and unlike Ulm's Morningstar/Shield troops which have about equal protection, they have MA 3, more AP, 10 defence before parry, and a back-up/ranged weapon (although they do cost more upkeep, to be fair).

They're almost 150% the resources of Emerald Empire's principes(26 to 19), and have 2 more body protection, 15 versus 13. They're Not A Big Deal

Also MA Ulm's shield troops are complete trash and using them as any sort of a comparison is dumb as hell. imo. When I was sieging/held the caps of 7(maybe 8?) other players before year 4 as MA Ulm all I had ever recruited from turn 1 was pikeneers

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's broken as hell and we have actually posted on desura about it a bunch of times to maybe fix it with very little response. If I start anymore games it will include a mod that moves implementor axe to const8, which will remove the most egregious method of generating remote pillage.

You could still do it with barbarian leaders or whatever with flying boots but that is VASTLY less efficient (raid efficiency is heavily affected by pillage strength and fear, both of which are granted by the axe) and also gem expensive so I don't think it would matter nearly as much.

Implementor Axe is an Artifact so you have to fight over it. :unsmigghh:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I was really disappointed after learning yesterday that Vanarus had no national heroes, so I've decided to try modding some in. I could easily make up some weird alternative pseudo-folklore for Svyatogor or Dobrynya Nikitych.

I'm trying to read the modding guide and it's vague on the subject. But as far as I can tell, I basically have to create a couple of units with fixednames and modify the Vanarus nation to have them as heroes, right?

e: I guess the more important question is about hero balance. What is a hero supposed to do for a nation, and how powerful are they supposed to be? As far as I can tell they seem to offer path bonuses rather than path diversity, being stronger versions of national mages or national commanders, and maybe with some useful miscellanous poo poo like flying or stealth that you wouldn't otherwise get. Does that sound about right?

I also don't know that much about the fictional justifications for the heroes. Most of them seem to be taken from the folk tales and mythologies of the cognate nations in the game, based on e.g. Cu Chulainn for Eriu, the undead Osiris for C'tis or Angerboda for Niefelheim. But I haven't seen all that many heroes so I don't know if the pattern holds up. You wouldn't put in mythological gods as heroes, but you would put in the famous (and less famous) characters from traditional stories and so on.

Boing fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 23, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Will firebird spam just make them always show up? I'm not sure how the arrival of heroes is decided.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

goatface posted:

Will firebird spam just make them always show up? I'm not sure how the arrival of heroes is decided.

3% +- 1% per luck/misfortune scale on your cap per turn. At Mis3 you do not receive heroes.

quote:

e: I guess the more important question is about hero balance. What is a hero supposed to do for a nation, and how powerful are they supposed to be? As far as I can tell they seem to offer path bonuses rather than path diversity, being stronger versions of national mages or national commanders, and maybe with some useful miscellanous poo poo like flying or stealth that you wouldn't otherwise get. Does that sound about right?

They can offer diversity too and some heroes are flat out insane. See Lugh the Long Handed for an example.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 23, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Lugh is one of the most amazing heroes in the game and him alone is reason to play as TNN in an EA game. :pcgaming:

So of course every time I get him and send him site searching he farts into an Inkpot End or something.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Lugh is one of the most amazing heroes in the game and him alone is reason to play as TNN in an EA game. :pcgaming:

So of course every time I get him and send him site searching he farts into an Inkpot End or something.

You can still keep him alive through even this. Just have him tag along with some armies and do personal regen until you can eventually provide him with some form of heal/disease heal. He can also do H3 duties or general combat casting while doing this so it's not a waste.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

I'm trying to read the modding guide and it's vague on the subject. But as far as I can tell, I basically have to create a couple of units with fixednames and modify the Vanarus nation to have them as heroes, right?
That's exactly right.

Although I think they don't actually have to have fixednames even if they aren't multiheroes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can still keep him alive through even this. Just have him tag along with some armies and do personal regen until you can eventually provide him with some form of heal/disease heal. He can also do H3 duties or general combat casting while doing this so it's not a waste.

Yeah, I tried to do that then two turns before I produced that one N thing that cures disease, bogarus and his crew attacked the staging province he was in. :suicide:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I've just found out that the Worthy Heroes mod also adds Vanarus heroes, but they're based on Estonian folklore for some reason whereas I interpreted Vanarus as being about the Kievan Rus, founding of Novgorod era. An EA Chud nation would be cool for channeling that early Finno-Ugric history, but I'm still gonna do my own thing

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Boing I am nominating you for the most refreshing poster in this thread. You have been learning well and now are providing your own contributions, especially in such short time. So props for that.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Donkringel posted:

Boing I am nominating you for the most refreshing poster in this thread. You have been learning well and now are providing your own contributions, especially in such short time. So props for that.
Yeah, but he's only a short step from graduating to the spooky skeletons nations :unsmigghh:

"Hey guys, what are some of your favorite strategies for rushing burden of time, I hear that's a pretty good global that doesn't affect my undead mages???"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Donkringel posted:

Yeah it's really nice to see "how do I play this nation" and encouraging actual discussion rather than weird slapfights and "there is a game starting".

That said I thought we had some mods being made but they seem to have fallen out of discussion. I know there were some dinosaurs and some dwarves but maybe there were more.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Naw thanks. Give it a couple months and I'll be one of you grizzled veterans who can appraise nations and stuff on my own and don't want to talk about anything for fear of giving away my top secret multiplayer strats.

I've definitely learned a lot but I still have a lot of different nations and playstyles to get through. This horrible game is lots of fun

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

scalded schlong posted:

Yeah it's really nice to see "how do I play this nation" and encouraging actual discussion rather than weird slapfights and "there is a game starting".

That said I thought we had some mods being made but they seem to have fallen out of discussion. I know there were some dinosaurs and some dwarves but maybe there were more.

I'm in the process of working on a gimmicky Turmoil nation based on Aboriginal Australian myth. I'll probably have a playable version done in a week or so, once I get some more free time to make sprites.

A general overview:
--Palisades only, half priced temples, Heat 2 preference.
--Dying dominion and no blood sacrifice; preaching only.
--Recruitable priests are H2 stealthed inquisitors, auto-communion slaves, and foreign and fort recruits
--Recruitable mages are sacred and come with S1H1+100% FAWEDN 1. They also have Divine Inspiration and a few points of Inept Researcher.
--All regular troops and regular troop generals are stealthed foreign and fort recruits, but are more or less crappy tribals.
--The big gimmick: true-immobile undisciplined slow-to-recruit S3H+100% FAWEDN 3 mage priests who summon random dream spirits in friendly dominion. They can't research or craft items, only preach, cast rituals, and passively summon. Depending on how testing goes, they might also increase (goo) event chance like the Firebird.
----Said gimmick mages summon randomly from a pool of six types of unit (one for each non-astral, non-blood path). The units are all sacred magical beings and have both Chaos and Magic Power. They're unremarkable without these bonii, but are quite powerful with them. The immobile mages can also summon more of a specific type with one of six national rituals, but any given mage can only summon they type affiliated with their random path.

So basically excellent magic variety hamstrung by crappy research and poor forging, units that are very powerful in dominion hampered by difficulties in spreading dominion, and lots of freespawn mitigated by the expensive spawners being protected only by palisades.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I miss Dinosaur Machaka :smith:

I mean, I am loving the hell out of Lion Kings right now, but it's not dinosaurs, you know?

E: ^ Oh that looks fun, cannot wait. What age is it going to be for?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

E: ^ Oh that looks fun, cannot wait. What age is it going to be for?

EA.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMhzaF7puM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Annunaki of the Sky, pretty tough throne.

• Locked thread