Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

El Scotch posted:

How about an all aluminium Mustang with a turbo straight-six? :awesome:

Called the Ford falcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Phy posted:

Why is nobody calling it Poop Group

:haw: stealing this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All of the scat pack cars collectively are the poop group. The package for the cars themselves is the poo poo kit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Called the Ford falcon.

Exactly, they already have a 400hp turbo straight-six; they just need to borrow it from the aussies and we're golden.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Phy posted:

Holy. poo poo.

:lol:

It looks like you can get that 2.7 ecoboost in a regular cab F-150 with 4wd. I'm sold; hardest part would be not driving it straight to Livernois Motorsport from the dealer for a tune.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Phy posted:

Powershift posted:

All of the scat pack cars collectively are the poop group. The package for the cars themselves is the poo poo kit.

you guys are only focusing on the bathroom humor and ignoring the obvious homosexual implications of the name

Scat Pack is funnier on a much deeper level

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

El Scotch posted:

Exactly, they already have a 400hp turbo straight-six; they just need to borrow it from the aussies and we're golden.

Noooo, bring the falcon ute xr6 over. Literally everyone south of the mason Dixon will buy one. gently caress u Holden

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Noooo, bring the falcon ute xr6 over. Literally everyone south of the mason Dixon will buy one. gently caress u Holden

Also acceptable.

Earlier this week there was a dude waiting at a red light as I walked by, with a big beard and a mint El Camino. I gave him a thumbs up along the way.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Falcon AND the Commodore are both dead as of 2017.

no one buys the loving things but government fleets and taxis so they're dead.

Its strange because it seems they are desirable in the USA but Ford is too stupid to get them over there.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Powershift posted:

What exactly do you drive that stops in 100 feet flat yet can't hit 60 in 4.5 seconds?

The frs/brz takes 120 feet, the Mustang gt and scat pack challenger take 108. The 1le Camaro does it in 99 feet but has 285 section 120 Treadwear front tires

I was off on the braking. I got rear ended recently on a straight road so conscious of it now. 350z with brembos is 112ft with stock tires 60-0.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laserface posted:

Its strange because it seems they are desirable in the USA but Ford is too stupid to get them over there.

In reality it would sell about as well as the GTO / G8 / SS. There's a lot of people who like the idea of a big sporty sedan but the ones who want that and have the money to buy one new... buy 5's and E's.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Oh no i think full sized australian sedans are horrible. I meant just take the 2015 mustang body, throw on a different bumper and taillight package, slap a straight 6 turbo in it, and call it the falcon.

This falcon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(North_America)

Not this falcon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Australia)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

I was off on the braking. I got rear ended recently on a straight road so conscious of it now. 350z with brembos is 112ft with stock tires 60-0.

Motor trend has it at 115ft on the same surface as the f-150 test, So your braking distance from 60mph is closer to a 5000lb f-150 with all terrain tires than it is to a 1LE camaro. You've practically already killed somebody.

Yeah, an f-150 is going to do more damage if it hits you, but really that's going to be the fault of the driver, not the vehicle, as the f-150 performs about in line with most common vehicles on the road in almost every regard, even when specced to within 200lbs of it's max curb weight on a less than optimal tire option. The 5090lb FX2 tremor with the pirelli scorpions stopped from 60-0 in 115 feet, the fully loaded truck M/T tested weighed less, a modern tremor would reasonably weigh around 4400lbs.

The 2500lb nissan versa note does the 0-60 in 10.4 seconds, 60-0 in 127 feet, 0.77Gs of lateral acceleration, and does the motor trend figure 8 in 29 seconds at 0.55G average
The 5000lb f-150 4x4 extended cab does the 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, 60-0 in 127 feet, 0.75Gs of lateral acceleration, and does the motor trend figure 8 in 28.5 seconds at 0.69G average

You're never going to get someone who wants a pickup out of a pickup and into a car, but giving the pickup the performance of a car is the next best thing.

Laserface posted:

The Falcon AND the Commodore are both dead as of 2017.

no one buys the loving things but government fleets and taxis so they're dead.

It's not that ford's too stupid, aussies want american prices on stuff, but aren't prepared to accept american wages, so they're losing all their manufacturing. GM gets away with it because most of the hard work was already done for the camaro platform, and even then it's 40 grand+ for an SS.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

you guys are only focusing on the bathroom humor and ignoring the obvious homosexual implications of the name

Scat Pack is funnier on a much deeper level

Today I discovered that :metis: is no longer a valid smilie.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Powershift posted:

It's not that ford's too stupid, aussies want american prices on stuff, but aren't prepared to accept american wages, so they're losing all their manufacturing. GM gets away with it because most of the hard work was already done for the camaro platform, and even then it's 40 grand+ for an SS.
Aussies that have nothing to do with manufacturing want american prices on stuff and wouldn't give a poo poo if the people working manufacturing were forced to accept american wages (as long as white collar jobs aren't affected.)
Just as long as the lower class filth can still afford the $600+ p/w rent somehow so the 'investors' can collect it while at the same time cry poor using negative gearing and tax write offs. As long as everything goes their way so they can build on their residential real estate portfolio and whine about the rates that blue collar tradesmen and the like charge, or whinge about some boring apple/android app or IT stuff on whirlpool.net.au.
Yeah, many aussies would be happy for an underclass earning american wages as long as it improves their bottom line as a white collar working property investor.

I feel better now.
I think you guys are missing out by not having the falcon (at least the ute) :australia:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 24, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

In reality it would sell about as well as the GTO / G8 / SS. There's a lot of people who like the idea of a big sporty sedan but the ones who want that and have the money to buy one new... buy 5's and E's.

enthusiasts are only good at taking an existing platform and making a balls out version

the minute an enthusiast car is designed from the ground up, enthusiasts buy one (1) and keep it for 20 years

after 3 years the enthusiast car is cancelled due to lack of sales

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Previa_fun posted:

Today I discovered that :metis: is no longer a valid smilie.

Truly a sad day for the forums when :regd04: sticks around despite being a decade past its relevance but metis is no longer :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Truly a sad day for the forums when :regd04: sticks around despite being a decade past its relevance but metis is no longer :(

To be fair I think hardly anyone on these forums remembers Metis' attempt at crowd funding a Brazilian scat film. Either by virtue of not being here or having blocked out the memory.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Bovril Delight posted:

To be fair I think hardly anyone on these forums remembers Metis' attempt at crowd funding a Brazilian scat film. Either by virtue of not being here or having blocked out the memory.

Yeah but it was the prequel to two girls one cup, which everybody and their grandma (in my case, literally) has seen.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Dodge is making something for people who feel that the regular Viper and TA aren't crazy enough.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

That thing looks loving mean.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Got any details?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The Midniter posted:

Got any details?
Here's the official blurb about it.

quote:

Dodge Viper ACR Concept

It's difficult, but yes, you can improve the ultimate hand-built American exotic supercar. For a blueprint, look no further than the Dodge Viper ACR Concept.

Ready to strike at the track, the Dodge Viper ACR Concept sports an aggressive carbon fiber front splitter and a competition rear wing anchored to the Snake's steel skin by sculpted aluminum stanchions. Many development hours in the wind tunnel achieved balance between the wing and stanchions, as well as how these elements work in conjunction with the front splitter to maximize downforce. Carbon fiber dive planes on the front fascia and hood heat extractors flanking the front fenders pour on even more aero downforce and aggressive styling cues. All of these lightweight carbon fiber elements work in unison to strike the perfect balance of maximum downforce for tight cornering and high speed maneuvers on the track.

The Dodge Viper ACR Concept races on satin black lightweight 19-inch front and rear wheels, with massive 15.4-inch Carbon Ceramic two-piece rotors with Brembo six-piston brakes. Brakes are kept to optimal temperature levels through carbon fiber brake duct openings in the front fascia. Differential cooler ducts rearward of the side windows supply fresh cool air to the differential for optimal performance. The signature ACR-style white paint is highlighted by a gloss black center stripe, accompanied by an offset Adrenaline Red stripe that flows from tip to tail, encompassing the competition spoiler with accented stanchion and end cap. The iconic heritage ACR side sill badge and Stryker front nose badge signify that this Viper is certainly a force to be recognized.

The race-inspired interior of the Dodge Viper ACR concept puts an emphasis on weight reduction for superior performance with unique styling cues that express its racing thoroughbred pedigree. Only the bare necessities remain as radio amplifier, speakers, carpet and NVH treatments have been removed to take advantage of every ounce. Carbon fiber virtually fills the cabin as every possible bezel has been replaced with this space-age lightweight material. Alcantara suede-wrapped steering wheel, shifter and seats provide ample grip to fully exercise its modified race suspension with razor sharp agility through the most demanding turns. A Header Red stripe that adorns the 12 o'clock position of the steering wheel provides an emotional connection to the exterior through the Adrenaline Red body stripe. Header Red accents carry over from the unique "Stryker" steering wheel badge to the iconic heritage "ACR" instrument panel badge with carbon fiber inlay, and are harmoniously joined by full interior accent stitching.
Ralph Gilles also said that it would have 1500lbs of downforce at speed.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Got any details?

Does it still come with such soft-core, Prius-only features like traction control and an AC?

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 24, 2014

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Car and Driver has been getting on my nerves lately:

Lotus Exige Getting Automatic-Transmission Option for People Who Love Sports Cars But Not Driving Them

There will, of course, be a manual offered, but C/D is so offended that an auto is offered in the first place that they absolutely had to write an article about it :rolleye:

Oh, and the auto isn't any slower - it's actually a tenth quicker to 60mph (4.0s vs. 3.9)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I will admit that I can't comprehend why anyone who would want an Exige would want an auto.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

InitialDave posted:

I will admit that I can't comprehend why anyone who would want an Exige would want an auto.

Yea, me either really. It's just their editorial :supaburn: and the comments section. Maybe I'm spending too much time there. Where do y'all get your auto news?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^ This very thread, TBH.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Does it still come with such soft-core, Prius-only features like traction control and an AC?

I think traction control is mandated on all cars after MY 2012 or so.

That said, even on the base Viper I'm pretty sure it can be fully disabled, so there you are.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

a primate posted:

Lotus Exige Getting Automatic-Transmission Option for People Who Love Sports Cars But Not Driving Them

There will, of course, be a manual offered, but C/D is so offended that an auto is offered in the first place that they absolutely had to write an article about it :rolleye:

Oh, and the auto isn't any slower - it's actually a tenth quicker to 60mph (4.0s vs. 3.9)

I would take this over hearing MotorTrend talk about how awesome the auto version is/why they cant imagine what would possess someone to want one with a stick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tekne posted:

Here's the official blurb about it.
Ralph Gilles also said that it would have 1500lbs of downforce at speed.

Wait. The Viper is still steel bodied?

Is this 1994?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Might as well get a Caterham with an enclosed cockpit and sound deadening. Throw in some heated seats too. Seems to defeat the point of that kind of car. I totally get why a lot of cars are going away from manual transmissions in their performance versions, but the Exige isn't insane enough for it to matter.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

a primate posted:

It's a trackday only special in the US. Of course offering it with a slushbox is ridiculous. And take the manufacturer provided performance estimate with a grain of salt.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah I don't understand why they wouldn't have used a dual clutch transmission--you could probably mark it up even more.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Powershift posted:

Wait. The Viper is still steel bodied?

Is this 1994?
As far as I know, the car's exterior is made out of carbon fiber and hot stamped aluminum.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah I don't understand why they wouldn't have used a dual clutch transmission--you could probably mark it up even more.
Lotus has a near-zero engineering budget, and their mechanical parts bin (the Toyota Camry) doesn't have a dual clutch transmission.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SouthLAnd posted:

It looks like you can get that 2.7 ecoboost in a regular cab F-150 with 4wd. I'm sold; hardest part would be not driving it straight to Livernois Motorsport from the dealer for a tune.

Yeah, that's the setup I'm leaning towards. A new truck with 4x4 is frikkin expensive though. :smith:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

It's a trackday only special in the US. Of course offering it with a slushbox is ridiculous. And take the manufacturer provided performance estimate with a grain of salt.

What's a trackday-only special? No AC etc.?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

a primate posted:

What's a trackday-only special? No AC etc.?

You can't register it for road use.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Maybe they made it for someone who can't physically drive a stickshift :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

a primate posted:

They're probably offended because Lotus is pretty much the only manufacturer on the planet who has no business installing anything with a torque convertor in any of their cars. The most practical daily drivable car they ever sold was the 1990-1992 Carlton, which with 377 hp and a top speed of almost 180 mph was faster than most supercars of the era, and only came with a 6 speed manual (same one used in the original corvette ZR1). They've generally never offered autos on any of their older models.

Also, Toyota has made SMG style paddle shift manuals before - it was an option on third gen MR2s. Lotus could just borrow that if they needed a trans without a third pedal. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 25, 2014