Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Redcrimson posted:

Black Lagoon isn't so much about character development(though Revy and Rock certainly get plenty, IMO) as it just using established characters for variations on a central theme. Black Lagoon's worldview(that only the cruel and merciless can survive in a cruel and merciless world) is the centerpiece of the whole show.

The reason why I got drawn into the show was the Revy/Rock dynamic. A sort of 'coming of age' story of a boy who decided to think and live for himself and a little girl hiding behind a wall of anger and cynicism. Their emotional growth ended after this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_loFcUvd1aM

Rock just went back to being the body pillow dude for Revy.

quote:

Also, did you watch the Roberta's Blood Trail OVAs?

I haven't. Should I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Third episode of Yuuki Yuuna turns things into a comedy, instead of anything dark magic girl stuff it sort of set up for with all the Madoka-lookalike. It introduces a fifth girl who's totally good at the hero stuff, but really bad at anything like being social etc.
Nothing remarkable, but entertained me plenty.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

The reason why I got drawn into the show was the Revy/Rock dynamic. A sort of 'coming of age' story of a boy who decided to think and live for himself and a little girl hiding behind a wall of anger and cynicism. Their emotional growth ended after this scene:

I disagree, that scene was supposed to show how the two found common ground and how Revy gained some respect for Rock.
And Rock basically becomes the team planner, especially in the manga. He notes that he can't kill the way the rest of the characters can, but he is content with his position (which is what his speech to Yukiko was about).

Revy still gets pissed at him, but that's just Revy being Revy. And to be fair he does some really dumb things, like trying to make Balalaika give up on destroying the Washimine. It was a noble goal, but he was trying to convince loving Balalaika!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 23, 2014

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Kubla Khan posted:

I haven't. Should I?

Yes.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

I haven't. Should I?

It's more Black Lagoon, with extra gore and a higher budget. If that appeals to you, go for it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

You get to see a nun kill everyone. Except Revi. And Rock. Ok, fine, except everyone with plot armor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maid, not nun. It's not Eda's Blood Trail.

Also, Roberta's Blood Trail is commendable for compressing an arc that, at its end, made up about half of the manga's entire chapter count and that even the author admits went on for way too long and was way too slow into something that's actually watchable that takes like a quarter of the time and loses nothing, except for a slightly altered ending.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's more Black Lagoon, with extra gore and a higher budget. If that appeals to you, go for it.

It also has some good thematic and character parallels with Rock/Garcia and Revy/Fabiola. It's a pretty important arc in the narrative.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It even includes side characters that you've likely completely forgotten about!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Kubla Khan posted:

The Revy/Rock dynamic is in full swing in the final arc as well. Her expectations of him are a large part of the Japan storyline, as well as him trying to reconcile where he is with where he came from (and Revy is a large part of that). That video you linked is the turning point, they air a bunch of stuff out and grow as a result. Rock is just not a fighter, if you interpret that as him being a pushover, you might be missing the point.

And I mean, while all of this stuff is going on there's a guy slicing bullets in half with a sword and that's not the most ridiculous thing that happens in the show, so maybe temper your expectations of the emotional depths here.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Looking at the blu ray to tv comparisons for Tokyo Ghoul and some of what they censored are downright laughable.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Stall_19 posted:

Looking at the blu ray to tv comparisons for Tokyo Ghoul and some of what they censored are downright laughable.

Do you have any links or anything? I wouldn't even know where to begin looking.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Can't show some Brutal Ketchup on TV. That's crazy.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Legs Benedict posted:

Do you have any links or anything? I wouldn't even know where to begin looking.

http://imgur.com/a/tvt2r

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've never seen/read TG but in some scenes I prefer the censored version because it focus on the active character opposed to look dead people here and there. Now moving on with the plot.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The censorship was so bad it made the author rage-quit his series.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Looks about the same as the Terraformars censorship.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Grouchio posted:

The censorship was so bad it made the author rage-quit his series.

And now he's drawing the sequel manga and writing the story for the second season of the anime, so I guess his rage quit wasn't THAT bad.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Censoring anime is stupid and should never happen under any circumstances.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Except for that one time they censored Jotaro smoking, that cracked me up.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

English streaming sites should just get the AT-X version of raws instead of the TV broadcast ones, since those are often uncensored.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
AT-X usually only gets uncensored raws for the occasional titty show (I think the last one was Daimidaler or something?). Generally if the show doesn't premiere on AT-X then they'll get the same raws as the other stations, and even if it does they'll still get the same raws most of the time.

It's actually far more common these days for western streaming services to get them while Japanese TV remains uncensored. Akame ga Kill for instance is uncensored on Crunchyroll and Daisuki but filled with ridiculous amounts (ep16 spoilers) on Tokyo MX.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 24, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Did new laws get passed in japan or something? I dont think it was ever this bad till very recently.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Xythar posted:

AT-X usually only gets uncensored raws for the occasional titty show (I think the last one was Daimidaler or something?). Generally if the show doesn't premiere on AT-X then they'll get the same raws as the other stations, and even if it does they'll still get the same raws most of the time.

It's actually far more common these days for western streaming services to get them while Japanese TV remains uncensored. Akame ga Kill for instance is uncensored on Crunchyroll and Daisuki but filled with ridiculous amounts (ep16 spoilers) on Tokyo MX.

What is the first screenshot even censoring?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Did new laws get passed in japan or something? I dont think it was ever this bad till very recently.

yes, according to who you ask, anime has been irrevocably damaged

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Widdiful posted:

What is the first screenshot even censoring?

She's had her arm sliced off.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Pyronic posted:

She's had her arm sliced off.

Well yeah I get that but why are they censoring more than half the screen for that?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Widdiful posted:

Well yeah I get that but why are they censoring more than half the screen for that?

art

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Ya-ay! DanMachi is getting animated. Should be a lot of fun. I'm reading volume 2 of the light novels now, and it's oozing love for RPGs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

Ya-ay! DanMachi is getting animated. Should be a lot of fun. I'm reading volume 2 of the light novels now, and it's oozing love for RPGs.

Suzuhito Yasuda still has a really bad case of the same-face + gravity-defying boobs. So, it's the novel any fun beyond what looks like a Dragon Quest-knockoff?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Wark Say posted:

Suzuhito Yasuda still has a really bad case of the same-face + gravity-defying boobs. So, it's the novel any fun beyond what looks like a Dragon Quest-knockoff?

I'm enjoying it. I'd assumed it was another Log Horizon or SAO, but this is their reality. A mysterious endless dungeon suddenly shows up, and then bored gods descend upon the world and start founding "familia" and leveling up the stats and abilities of their chosen "children", who then venture forth into the dungeon to kill evil monsters, whose drops now fuel the economy of the city built over the dungeon. It's a fun spin on building up your strength and buying better gear and brewing potions and all that RPG stuff. It helps that the goddesses are all sex-crazed MILFs out to get with the hapless young hero, I guess.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Wark Say posted:

are there really that many pictures in most light novels for this to matter? this seems like a weird reason to not read a light novel. i liked his pictures for the Durarara!! light novels though

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Watamote OVA was released yesterday. No word on any subs yet, but it looks to have some anime original content.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Does Watamote ever get easier to watch?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would cease to be funny if it did.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

nuru posted:

If its like the manga, I've you've seen one episode you've basically seen all of them.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

are there really that many pictures in most light novels for this to matter? this seems like a weird reason to not read a light novel. i liked his pictures for the Durarara!! light novels though

I enjoyed DRRR!! and both Devil Survivor games all the same, I just wish he would do a female character (beyond Dolly on Devil Survivor 1 and Airi on the 2nd) that, at the very least, don't have the same goddamn body type.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

Sure, if you're not a huge baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Legs Benedict posted:

And now he's drawing the sequel manga and writing the story for the second season of the anime, so I guess his rage quit wasn't THAT bad.

TG is a completed manga series? For some reason I thought it was ongoing apart from the anime. Man, the manga-ka works fast if he's already on the sequel.

• Locked thread