Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I've often heard that KJA is much better when writing his own work than when writing Dune or Star Wars fanfiction. How much better I couldn't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Any recommendations for spying/intrigue/spec ops heavy sort of books? I really enjoyed all of Banks' works and Hamilton's Commonwealth saga.

Also I just finished the first Uplift trilogy by Brin and am somewhat disappointed. My gripes are mostly with the third book, The Uplift War. The happy resolution comes from a deus ex machina, and none of the mysteries that set up the conflict back in book 2 are resolved. Brief google search indicates that the next trilogy doesn't seem to resolve them either.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

pokie posted:

Any recommendations for spying/intrigue/spec ops heavy sort of books? I really enjoyed all of Banks' works and Hamilton's Commonwealth saga.

Also I just finished the first Uplift trilogy by Brin and am somewhat disappointed. My gripes are mostly with the third book, The Uplift War. The happy resolution comes from a deus ex machina, and none of the mysteries that set up the conflict back in book 2 are resolved. Brief google search indicates that the next trilogy doesn't seem to resolve them either.

Wasp was pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_%28novel%29

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

pokie posted:

The second trilogy does resolve everything, you just have to wait until the third book for something interesting to happen. If you like reading about the live of some weird society in space, then the rest isn't too bad either.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

blue squares posted:

I saw a book called Leviathan Wakes at the book store by a James SA Corey. Is it any good? It looked cool but I know nothing about it (or space opera).

Yeah, it's pretty good. Some of it is trope-y, but that's what you get with Space Operas.

If you're going to read it, do it soon though, as SyFy has already begun casting it for a series.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Tanith posted:

Is it better than the Dune prequels? That was my first and only (:downsrim:)KJA, and I like pangalactic family feuding, but I'm wary.

Havent't read the Dune prequels, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Each book in the series tries to outmatch the previous by putting in even more stuff and it actually all just goes downhill.
I read the latter part of the series and it is kinda like seeing a train wreck slowly hurdle itself from a cliff, ie you know it is bad but you can't stop watching/reading.
I bought my book in an airport, which I guess says a lot.

XBenedict posted:

Yeah, it's pretty good. Some of it is trope-y, but that's what you get with Space Operas.
If you're going to read it, do it soon though, as SyFy has already begun casting it for a series.

First and second book is ok, from thereon the series goes downhill.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pokie posted:

Also interested in this. Although I can recommend a bunch non-SF ones off the top of my head.

quote:

Kiln People had the same problem: Brin sets up a nice crunchy SF setting and then goes completely off the rails into a magic-powered deus ex machina at the end, resulting in a profoundly unsatisfying ending. That and The Uplift War pretty much killed my desire to read more Brin.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

pokie posted:

Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise are a space opera duology by Charles Stross that heavily focus on intelligence/statecraft work. Main characters are spies, secret police, assassins, and black chamber agents.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fried Chicken posted:

Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise are a space opera duology by Charles Stross that heavily focus on intelligence/statecraft work. Main characters are spies, secret police, assassins, and black chamber agents.

Funny how that turned out to be a huge running theme in his later work. I kinda feel like Stross is secretly a little bit :smith: about not having gotten to be a Cold War spy novelist, Thatcher Years notwithstanding.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

eriktown posted:

Funny how that turned out to be a huge running theme in his later work. I kinda feel like Stross is secretly a little bit :smith: about not having gotten to be a Cold War spy novelist, Thatcher Years notwithstanding.

Except Accelerando all of his works focus on that. Even the "Scotland, 2017" books have elements of it. It makes sense really, plucky band of ragtag heroes saving the world is an absurd concept, intelligence agents subverting/defending the state is something that really happens.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's probably come up in the thread before, but speaking of Stross, is Neptune's Brood any good? I really liked Saturn's Children for its more modern take on "Heinlein space opera + Asimov robot mystery" formula. I know Neptune's Brood probably has almost no connection to it plot-wise, but even so, worth getting if I liked Saturn's Children?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I liked Neptune's Brood better in almost every way, though the ending is pretty abrupt and not great (and Stross has apologized for it in his blog; he says he was in an awful deadline rush when he finished the book due to having had to throw out half of it and rewrite it).

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm wondering if someone who's a big fan of The Expanse (or at least very knowledgeable about it) can spoil a few things for me about it. The reason is because I've been working on a science fiction IP for nearly 10 years now, wrote several drafts of a pilot in 2010, and am working on a novel that fleshes out the world. A few things I've seen about The Expanse have been a tad too similar for comfort, so basically I'm looking for ways to avoid writing something that will be seen as a clone of it without needing to read through it myself, since I'd rather not have ideas from The Expanse coloring the way I write it (either subconsciously ripping it off or consciously avoiding certain subjects - either is a bad way to write).

I'll probably get to reading it eventually, but I'd really like to know a few things about the following subjects just to see how similar my ideas already are:

-How much detail do they go into about what the planets are like on the surface, how they developed, and what the civilizations there are like? Is everything fully terraformed and breathable or are there failed/struggling colonies and atmospheres?

-Mine has no spaceships and no aliens. The method of transit is more space-bending oriented. The main antagonists are humans, and the technology they've created either going awry or breaking down and leaving us stranded. To what extent does The Expanse deal with these themes? I know a lot takes place on ships in space, but are they the main setting? And is everyone human? I did read something about alien technology but I don't know to what extent they use it.

-Mine focuses less on politics and more on military conflicts, but also a greater conspiracy and some metaphysical stuff. How focused is The Expanse on military operations? Do individual planets act like countries or does each planet have its own internal political system?

-I've heard The Expanse deals with a war between Earth and Mars. This is a particularly big issue for me because it's one of the central plot points of my story. What happens to trigger it, and what's the story arc like? How about the resolution? From what perspective is the war shown? Is it more background or does it have the full focus of the story? And does much of it take place on the ground? Mine is all land, sea, and air, but no space war.

Since I'm aware that not everyone has read The Expanse, answers can either come in spoilers or you can PM me if you'd rather not post them all in the thread. I'd appreciate the help. Or if you can point me to a very detailed spoilery Wiki or something - most of the ones I've seen so far are scarce in details.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bonk posted:

-How much detail do they go into about what the planets are like on the surface, how they developed, and what the civilizations there are like? Is everything fully terraformed and breathable or are there failed/struggling colonies and atmospheres?

-Mine has no spaceships and no aliens. The method of transit is more space-bending oriented. The main antagonists are humans, and the technology they've created either going awry or breaking down and leaving us stranded. To what extent does The Expanse deal with these themes? I know a lot takes place on ships in space, but are they the main setting? And is everyone human? I did read something about alien technology but I don't know to what extent they use it.

Everyone is human... more or less, though it's implied that different environments and the difficulty of emigration from the Belt to high-G environments is causing Earthers, Martians and Belters to diverge physically. There's a caveat to this but I don't think it's one you need to worry about.

The alien teck-nollogee is a scary goo-phase replicator that turns people into puke zombies (and has its own agenda). The setting is mainly on spacecraft and space habitats, with a few ventures onto the surface of Earth, Mars, and various moons and minor planets. Mars is lightly terraformed, though it has a long way to go. The outer planets are depicted as having incredibly fragile artificial ecosystems, and death and disaster happen in a matter of hours when those ecosystems are disrupted. We do see a colony on one of Jupiter's moons collapse when its ecosystem crashes due to damage during the Earth-Mars war; it's pretty clear that anyone who doesn't manage to flee as a refugee aboard a departing ship is probably going to starve to death over the next few weeks. In short, being a member of a failed or struggling colony in space basically means you're a dead man walking and your lifespan is measured in weeks.

Bonk posted:

-Mine focuses less on politics and more on military conflicts, but also a greater conspiracy and some metaphysical stuff. How focused is The Expanse on military operations? Do individual planets act like countries or does each planet have its own internal political system?

Earth and Mars have their own governments; friction between the major planets and the Outer Planets Association, which starts off as a sort of business association of outer habitats but morphs into a revolutionary government, is a major plot point.

Bonk posted:

-I've heard The Expanse deals with a war between Earth and Mars. This is a particularly big issue for me because it's one of the central plot points of my story. What happens to trigger it, and what's the story arc like? How about the resolution? From what perspective is the war shown? Is it more background or does it have the full focus of the story? And does much of it take place on the ground? Mine is all land, sea, and air, but no space war.

The war mainly happens offscreen. It basically happened because Earth and Mars were having a cold war, and both sides start flipping out because Earth corporations were experimenting with the alien goo and it got loose and killed a bunch of soldiers on both sides.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Your works don't sound very similar. You should be much less worried about some conceptual overlap in the already crowded space opera arena, and much more worried about actually finishing your work and getting it published.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Your works don't sound very similar. You should be much less worried about some conceptual overlap in the already crowded space opera arena, and much more worried about actually finishing your work and getting it published.

This is good advice.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

eriktown posted:

This is good advice.

It is and, also, stick with your instinct to not read the Expanse, there's much better stuff to have your writing be subconsciously influenced by.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Thanks for the details. I wasn't really that worried about it, just that now that it's gotten a TV deal I wanted to make sure I wasn't already going to be treading on too-familiar ground because it was originally a pilot and I have a series bible already. It sounds like most of what's similar happens for very different reasons, and the differences are strong enough that any comparisons are going to be very thin. I've been plinking away at it gradually because writing/editing other things is most of my day job, but I've been making good progress. I use Scrivener and it's been really awesome so far, especially for organizing something that takes place on so many different worlds.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 17, 2014

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

savinhill posted:

It is and, also, stick with your instinct to not read the Expanse, there's much better stuff to have your writing be subconsciously influenced by.

Or read it when you're done since this is valid but everyone's tastes are different and I actually really like the books.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I just finished reading Cibola Burn and liked it. It felt a bit flat compared to the previous entries in the Expanse series though. It entertained me to be sure, but if something along the same lines exists, but is "better" I'm open to recommendations. I really like the universe presented in the expanse. I guess I'm looking for something where the characters aren't so one-dimensional/off a single mind and show something more akin to regular human traits/have more internal struggle or something.

proka
Feb 6, 2007

dog nougat posted:

I just finished reading Cibola Burn and liked it. It felt a bit flat compared to the previous entries in the Expanse series though. It entertained me to be sure, but if something along the same lines exists, but is "better" I'm open to recommendations. I really like the universe presented in the expanse. I guess I'm looking for something where the characters aren't so one-dimensional/off a single mind and show something more akin to regular human traits/have more internal struggle or something.

I only just finished it two days ago and have similar sentiments. The last 100 pages took me a long time to get though and felt kind of disjointed close to the end. I honestly enjoyed the book quite a bit, but I think that I need a break from the Expanse series. I'll definitely return for the next two, although from what I've seen here the third book has a dip in quality, before picking up again for the fourth book. I've just started reading The Martian, which seems like a fun read.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Anybody know whether the newest Honorverse book ("A Call to Duty (Manticore Ascendant)") is more David Weber, or more Timothy Zahn? If it's more Zahn I'm inclined to pick it up, but...
http://www.amazon.com/A-Call-Duty-Manticore-Ascendant/dp/1476736847

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ulmont posted:

Anybody know whether the newest Honorverse book ("A Call to Duty (Manticore Ascendant)") is more David Weber, or more Timothy Zahn? If it's more Zahn I'm inclined to pick it up, but...
http://www.amazon.com/A-Call-Duty-Manticore-Ascendant/dp/1476736847

It looks like it avoids the biggest problems with Weber's writing. That is, it happens before the tech gets crammed up to ludicrous speed, Manticore isn't the dominant force in the galaxy,and it doesn't have Honor in it.

Also Timothy Zahn.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Huh, that's a pretty interesting collaboration. If you're looking to produce a functional, engaging, easy-to-read space opera, Zahn is a good pick to counterplay Weber's flaws.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I picked up the kindle preview on Zahn's name, and the first chapter has two separate instances of Foolish Liberal Politicos, a main character that blatantly thinks his motivations at the reader, and generic milSF boot camp sequence #421. Also, a forward declaring it to be the intended first in a series of 3+ books, and a ship size-comparison chart that includes Haven ships because of course it does.

So maybe this is the chapter Weber showed Zahn to say "please help"? :smith:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
53 pages of thread, lightly skimmed, but I was wondering if the Ark Royal trilogy by Christopher Nutall would be considered Space Opera? Or would that just be generic sci-fi?

It's about Humanity's first encounter with an alien race, and how an old museum warship brought back into service ends up being the only ship in the Space Navy able to stand up to the alien weaponry because it has solid armor instead of relying on force field/shield technology (which the alien weapons just punch through while only lightly scarring the old hull of Ark Royal).

EDIT: Also, B.V. Larson's Star Force series. So 80's Sci-Fi it hurts, with nanotechnology, Artificial Intelligence and Humans/other non-robotic life forms vs. a universe-spanning empire of intelligent machines.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 14, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah that'd be space opera, warts and all.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It's also kinda generic and honestly pretty mediocre. It has a couple nice concepts, like the way the aliens reproduction influences their society, but in the end it does feel rather uninspired to me. Like the author wanted to do a roughly WWII-period story but found the setting too constrained and just decided "screw it, we'll do this in space".

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

It's about Humanity's first encounter with an alien race, and how an old museum warship brought back into service ends up being the only ship in the Space Navy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9L9vWmvvX0 O RLY

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Does anyone know of any Lovecraftian space operas? Preferably directly incorporating Lovecraft's mythology, although I'd take something just along the lines of cosmic horror in the cosmos also. I've always been interested in what the future of the Lovecraft setting would have been once humans started going out into space on their own and encountering the Mi-go and Old Ones on different planets as equals. I think the only thing that kind of comes to mind in that genre is Charles Stross's story "A Colder War".

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Does anyone know of any Lovecraftian space operas? Preferably directly incorporating Lovecraft's mythology, although I'd take something just along the lines of cosmic horror in the cosmos also. I've always been interested in what the future of the Lovecraft setting would have been once humans started going out into space on their own and encountering the Mi-go and Old Ones on different planets as equals. I think the only thing that kind of comes to mind in that genre is Charles Stross's story "A Colder War".

Nothing other than warhammer 40k.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I've only read the first book in the Revelation Space series, but I think it would kind of fit the theme you're looking for: an alien species mysteriously goes extinct thousands of years ago, weird regions of space-time that only two men have returned from, and a FTL ship that's huge but mostly uninhabited/in serious dis-repair. If you're looking for something with fast pacing then WH40k might be something you'd enjoy, though I wouldn't really say that's space opera... :shrug:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Chairman Capone posted:

The Mutant Chronicles Trilogy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The first two Revelation Space books are almost exactly what you want. Chasm City as well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

In terms of cosmic horrors, there's the Graken-trilogy by Andreas Brandhorst.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

New Peter Hamilton book out today, set in the Commomwealth.
http://smile.amazon.com/Abyss-Beyon...s+beyond+dreams

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rafikki posted:

New Peter Hamilton book out today, set in the Commomwealth.
http://smile.amazon.com/Abyss-Beyon...s+beyond+dreams

poo poo, now I have to re-read my Void books, I remember practically nothing from the end of the trilogy.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th
Just FYI The last book in the Lost Fleet saga that focuses on the Midway systems, which rebelled from the Sydics, came out a few weeks ago. The Lost Stars: Imperfect Sword

Also FYI, battle cruisers are smaller, faster battleships. They lack the firepower or armor of a real battleship but were much preferred by officers because they can charge fast into battle and be at the front.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Vanilla posted:

Just FYI The last book in the Lost Fleet saga that focuses on the Midway systems, which rebelled from the Sydics, came out a few weeks ago. The Lost Stars: Imperfect Sword

Also FYI, battle cruisers are smaller, faster battleships. They lack the firepower or armor of a real battleship but were much preferred by officers because they can charge fast into battle and be at the front.
Is it any good? Or, well, marginally competently written?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

Mars4523 posted:

Is it any good? Or, well, marginally competently written?

It's been discussed on here quite a bit.

I feel it's worth a read, but is a bit repetitive. The last line of my post was a reference to that which many will get.

• Locked thread