Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Caros posted:

Can't be that taxing considering they use it for electricity.

Extremely rapid turnover of workforce, zero safety regulations, and slave wages. Welcome to the Industrial Age, boys! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Caros posted:

According to the first Korra artbook, "This kind of work [power plant battery charging] is incredibly taxing on a person's chi reserves; that's why the plant bosses tend to get desperate, strapping young men like Mako to sign up for the grueling task." From that it seems it's fine in short doses but can be incredibly draining if sustained for long periods of time. The wiki has pretty much the same info.

And no, I can't believe I actually grabbed the drat artbook to check.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

ImpAtom posted:

Like, I'm honestly kind of confused what you wanted unless you're specifically upset that you got spoiled on the game when you expected to get spoiled on an upcoming episode. :psyduck:
That's pretty much it, with the caveat that I expected to get spoiled on what you THOUGHT might be in an upcoming episode. But you know what? gently caress it, whatever. With a little time I'm actually happier now. I was worried this was going in a "IT WAS ALL A DREAM, OOOOO" direction.

Caros posted:

They have outright said, in the artbook and commentary if not the show itself, that the power plant thing specifically targets desperate young firebenders, pays them a pittance, and exhausts them physically and spiritually. It's as close to literal Capitalist Exploitation as you can get, really.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I wonder how lightningbending spread. As far as we saw in the original series, only the Fire Nation royal family could lightningbend. I can't imagine Azula, Iroh, or Ozai sharing the secret of lightningbending.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wow, three different people telling me the same thing. I agree that shooting lightning into a generator for an entire day is probably exhausting as gently caress, my point was that it probably isn't so much so that Mako couldn't throw it out occasionally in combat if the need occurred.

I mean, lets be honest. The reason they don't usually show him busting out the lightning is that lighting is supposed to be more or less a one hit kill in the series. Mako used it a bunch of times in the first season, but only ever aimed at materiel like cars instead of people. The only time he used it on a person was Amon, and then only at a really low power out of total desperation.

Rosalind posted:

I wonder how lightningbending spread. As far as we saw in the original series, only the Fire Nation royal family could lightningbend. I can't imagine Azula, Iroh, or Ozai sharing the secret of lightningbending.

I do think the lightning bending seen in Korra is a streamlined/weaker version judging by what we see. Azula and Ozai tended to have a lot more wind up and a lot more visual effect when they busted out the lightning compared to when Mako does it.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
^^^^^

I agree. We've seen bending techniques for the other elements change so it's not particularly far-fetched. Also, Ozai was described as the world's greatest living firebender and Azula was a prodigy, so I'd guess they would have more powerful lightning either way.

Rosalind posted:

I could see Zuko spreading it. He couldn't do it (it hasn't explicitly been said whether he ever really learned during his lifetime after the original series) but he knew the technique. Apparently high-level members of the military knew it as well so Zuko could have ordered they teach it to anyone who wanted to learn.

Sato fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 23, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Caros posted:

Wow, three different people telling me the same thing. I agree that shooting lightning into a generator for an entire day is probably exhausting as gently caress, my point was that it probably isn't so much so that Mako couldn't throw it out occasionally in combat if the need occurred.

I mean, lets be honest. The reason they don't usually show him busting out the lightning is that lighting is supposed to be more or less a one hit kill in the series. Mako used it a bunch of times in the first season, but only ever aimed at materiel like cars instead of people. The only time he used it on a person was Amon, and then only at a really low power out of total desperation.

I do think the lightning bending seen in Korra is a streamlined/weaker version judging by what we see. Azula and Ozai tended to have a lot more wind up and a lot more visual effect when they busted out the lightning compared to when Mako does it.

Lightning Bolt Zolt had a pretty big wind up.

Zuko wasn't dispassionate enough as a young man to to do, as he mellowed out I think he'd eventually master it. He wasn't a prodigy, but he was talented enough that he should be able to do it, especially if it's easy enough to learn that enough firebenders can be found that can do it to power a large city.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lightning Bolt Zolt had a pretty big wind up.

I suspect a lot of that was for effect. He was in front of a baying mob after all.

Lightning Bolt Zolt was actually Mako's teacher apparently. I love how they gave him a stereotypical mobster accent.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Zypher posted:

Is the world map from Avatar inspired from any real world source? Because I saw this at a high end furniture boutique yesterday and burst out laughing.

I posted this to tumblr (linking back to the post) and a good response I got from someone was that it could be a leftover prop from the movie. No idea how it'd get in the store, though.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
The game I'm really interested in is Grand Theft Auto: Republic City. Five stars and Korra comes after you.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

blurry! posted:

The game I'm really interested in is Grand Theft Auto: Republic City. Five stars and Korra comes after you.

Yeah, I really just want to roll a character and dick around in Republic City.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

blurry! posted:

Goddammit now I'm gonna want this forever. How many stars before Lin Beifong comes hunting you down?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Maybe you just don't know who will come after you if you get 5 stars. It could be Lin, Korra, Airbenders...

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thexerox123 posted:

Maybe you just don't know who will come after you if you get 5 stars. It could be Lin, Korra, Airbenders...

1 Star- Small numbers of regular cops.
2 Stars- Large number of regular cops, occasional benders.
3 Stars- Small number of regular cops, large number of benders, some of them are Metalbenders.
4 Stars- Large number of Metalbenders, medium number of other benders.
5 Stars- Large number of Airbenders swoop in along with the rest.
6 Stars- Gotten if you either stay wanted for a very long time or regularly achieve 5 Stars, Korra shows up and Avatar States your stupid rear end.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

6 Stars- Gotten if you either stay wanted for a very long time or regularly achieve 5 Stars, Korra shows up and Avatar States your stupid rear end.

Fighting the Avatar State should mean running from the Avatar state.
Hell, I'd play a game that was nothing but "Running From Kyoshi."

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I want to play as pre-reveal Amon and destory the bending opressors of the common people :ussr:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Saints Row: Republic City.

Sewage Bending mingame.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rosalind posted:

I could easily see Zuko being able to learn to lightningbend as he aged, and I could also see him sharing it once the idea for lightning fueled generators came to exist. Think about it. The ability to lightningbend is associated with the royal family, and is a big part of their whole might makes right, the Fire Lords are just better than other people thing. Something that Zuko would want to get rid of. Sharing the art of lightningbending tears down those ingrained ideas of the Fire Lord and his family are just plain better, and teaching it to fire benders who aren't from the fire nation goes further and does the same to the notion that the fire nation is just better than everyone else.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Gnome de plume posted:

Saints Row: Republic City.

Sewage Bending mingame.

Saints Row is pretty much Varrick: The Game.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kazy posted:

I posted this to tumblr (linking back to the post) and a good response I got from someone was that it could be a leftover prop from the movie. No idea how it'd get in the store, though.

Yep. It definitely is.

PriorMarcus posted:

It isn't a coincidence, it's from the film. Their version of Zhao has it hanging in his office.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

A brave but foolish person actually admits they watched the film. I wonder what crazy turn-of-events resulted in a prop ending up in an expensive home decor store.

Do people think Korra is going to regain her Avatar mojo in the next episode or do we think she's going to mope a bit longer?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rosalind posted:

A brave but foolish person actually admits they watched the film.

I've watched it a few times, and I'm not ashamed to say it! :colbert:

(Because every time I've watched it aside from the first has been with the Rifftrax, which makes it hilarious.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Rifftrax is really good.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

The Rifftrax is really good.

I think my favourite part is their reaction to the foot massage reveal, because I think the first time I'd watched it, my soul was so crushed by that point in the movie that I hadn't even noticed it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rosalind posted:

A brave but foolish person actually admits they watched the film. I wonder what crazy turn-of-events resulted in a prop ending up in an expensive home decor store.

Do people think Korra is going to regain her Avatar mojo in the next episode or do we think she's going to mope a bit longer?

I imagine it's going to be split Korra trying to do just that, probably successfully enough by the end of the episode to rejoin the main narrative, and Team Jinora finding her, though possibly by the middle of next episode at the very latest. There isn't a whole lot of time to waste if Korra is going to be involved with the main plot and there will probably still be some healing done on the fly even after she does.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping that Korra IS the deus ex machina for this season, at least as far as the other characters are concerned.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VanSandman posted:

Fighting the Avatar State should mean running from the Avatar state.
Hell, I'd play a game that was nothing but "Running From Kyoshi."

This isn't a bad idea for an endless runner.

uncleKitchener posted:

I know. Isn't it great!

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
I think Korra hiding/training to overcome her fear for several more episodes (3-4) would be ideal. It would allow a lot of the other plots to simmer to a boil. Kuvira continues her expansionist campaign with Varrick's experiments. Bolin and Mako's relationship continues to strain. The three air bender kids get some screen time looking for an avatar that doesn't want to be found (it'd be sorta cheap and too easy if they found her in a single episode). If this takes place over 4 more episodes, you'd still have 5 more left in the season. That would be sufficient time for both a satisfying climax and epilogue.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Legend of Korra suite played live at Paleyfest.

Possible finale musical queue spoilers? Who curs it's loving beautiful.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I expect Korra's recovery to take at least two more episodes. The airbender kids have to find her, for one, and if Jinorah doesn't play some part in her spiritual healing process I'll be very surprised.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bryan and Mike did an 'Ask Us Anything' with the Avatar Wiki and stuff was learned:

Bryke posted:

Zuko's daughter is named Izumi.

Ming Hua was born without arms.

Toph's babydaddies will be revealed.

Sokka and Suki moved to the suburbs.

Zuko's dragon is a descendant of Ran and Shaw from ATLA.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Cool, so Sokka's the father of one of them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

uncleKitchener posted:

I wish Troy Baker voiced a character in this show now :negative:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

But what happened to Azula?!?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Rosalind posted:

But what happened to Azula?!?

I smell another 3 part comic series.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

mateo360 posted:

I smell another 3 part comic series.

I'm ok with this. I just wish they came out more quickly.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Hell, add bending and an early 20th century aesthetic to Sleeping Dogs, and you'd have GTA Republic City. Easy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ming Hua was born without arms.
Sorry to whoever was speculating phantom limbs earlier, none of those here :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

blurry! posted:

Hell, add bending and an early 20th century aesthetic to Sleeping Dogs, and you'd have GTA Republic City. Easy.

Let's just add bending to Sleeping Dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kibayasu posted:

Let's just add bending to Sleeping Dogs.

gently caress you, Polarbeardogeyes!

• Locked thread