Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have stopped using the Google now launcher and started just using trebuchet. The only thing I miss is being able to swipe to the right on my home screen to bring up the Google now page. Is there any exposed module that will bring that back?
It can't be done in any way that looks as nice as GNL does it because it involves launching a separate app. You might be able to set up a gesture to launch the app or something, but it can't be integrated like GNL is.

What do you actually prefer about Trebuchet? There's an Xposed module which adds a bunch of features to GNL which might be a better solution, but it depends on your reason for switching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
When can I load the final version of lollipop on my N5 and will it require a wipe/clean install or can I upgrade from kitkat? What is the state of root on lollipop, will have to root it again?

Christ, just read that root will require a custom kernel. Ugh, really?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 23, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

It can't be done in any way that looks as nice as GNL does it because it involves launching a separate app. You might be able to set up a gesture to launch the app or something, but it can't be integrated like GNL is.

What do you actually prefer about Trebuchet? There's an Xposed module which adds a bunch of features to GNL which might be a better solution, but it depends on your reason for switching.

I went back to Trebuchet so I could use some of the CM11 themes. I really like one of them and also just wanted a bit of change. I really miss being able to swipe to the right and get to the Google Now page though.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

r0ck0 posted:

When can I load the final version of lollipop on my N5 and will it require a wipe/clean install or can I upgrade from kitkat? What is the state of root on lollipop, will have to root it again?

If the preview is any indication, you will be able to upgrade w/o wipe. BUT, that can cause some issues and its always better to wipe with major version changes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Almost definitely but you have a Nexus so it will be as simple as flashing a ZIP to install it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In fact the SuperSU zip could be made to pre-flash the kernel for you, which Chainfire hinted at in his post. So it might not actually require any additional steps for the user.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tunga posted:

In fact the SuperSU zip could be made to pre-flash the kernel for you, which Chainfire hinted at in his post. So it might not actually require any additional steps for the user.

Ya but what are we going to lose by running a custom kernel? Is this going to make updates harder, have to revert to a regular kernel before applying OTA updates?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

r0ck0 posted:

Ya but what are we going to lose by running a custom kernel? Is this going to make updates harder, have to revert to a regular kernel before applying OTA updates?
The custom kernel is literally the stock kernel with one very specific change. It will probably break OTAs (not certain on this, it's been a long time since I ran a custom kernel) but root frequently does that anyway and you have a Nexus device so you can just fastboot update the factory image just like always and then reapply the patched kernel. Anyone who is comfortable using a rooted phone should be more than comfortable with these things already.

revolther
May 27, 2008
If you have physical buttons(home back recents type poo poo) you can typically set double tap of home and long hold of home to be separate actions, I keep google now on one and voice search on the other.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tunga posted:

The custom kernel is literally the stock kernel with one very specific change. It will probably break OTAs (not certain on this, it's been a long time since I ran a custom kernel) but root frequently does that anyway and you have a Nexus device so you can just fastboot update the factory image just like always and then reapply the patched kernel. Anyone who is comfortable using a rooted phone should be more than comfortable with these things already.

Currently I apply the update, then restore root, with SuperSU OTA root survival its even easier. But now you have to flash the original kernel, that was backed up somewhere? then apply the update, and flash the kernel and root again? Its not a matter of being comfortable doing this, its just a waste of time.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Err when I updated to the latest stable CM my mobile data cut out. Turns out that I need to update my Modem firmware according to XDA and Cyanogenmod's forums.

Im told this is the file which I'm ready to use https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407584296

Is this installed normally like Gapps and other roms through Clockworkmod Recovery? Most webpages I see discussing it are rather dodgy and say I need to do some insane amounts of poo poo like flash the original stock image then something something your good now reflash all your poo poo back to your custom rom / recovery.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

r0ck0 posted:

Currently I apply the update, then restore root, with SuperSU OTA root survival its even easier. But now you have to flash the original kernel, that was backed up somewhere? then apply the update, and flash the kernel and root again? Its not a matter of being comfortable doing this, its just a waste of time.
That would work, yes. Alternatively you can just ignore the OTA entirely and fastboot update the new factory image and then apply the modified kernel and root as normal (and these two may even become one step). This takes about two minutes total. Personally I haven't run an OTA for years because the factory images usually show up first anyway.

So yes, things will be a little more involved but it's not an unreasonable price to pay for better security on unrooted devices which is a goal that should be applauded.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Err when I updated to the latest stable CM my mobile data cut out. Turns out that I need to update my Modem firmware according to XDA and Cyanogenmod's forums.

Im told this is the file which I'm ready to use https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407584296

Is this installed normally like Gapps and other roms through Clockworkmod Recovery? Most webpages I see discussing it are rather dodgy and say I need to do some insane amounts of poo poo like flash the original stock image then something something your good now reflash all your poo poo back to your custom rom / recovery.

This is why I stopped dealing with Cyanogen.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

YouTuber posted:

I just want to point out that you are planning to replace your phone's modem firmware with something some people on a message board told you about. Something that was uploaded to a file hosting site by a guy named "DocHoliday77". How much do you trust DocHoliday77? Because once you install that, DocHoliday77 could monitor everything you do.

When you get caught up in the custom rom scene, you tend to lose sight of things like this. Take a step back and decide if it's worth it. Think about what you're gaining with your custom rom, and what you're losing by having to deal with things like this. Think about DocHoliday77. Who are they? What do they do? What are they doing right now? Are they making malicious phone modem software? Are they convincing people to use said software?

You really don't need to do this anymore.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

He has a Galaxy S III. Post-4.2 they can actually beyond-JTAG-brick themselves if you don't line the modem and bootloader up right. Even the T-Mobile version.

So OTA-juggling might be his only option and I sure as gently caress wouldn't listen to anyone that brings "DocHoliday77"'s modem into it. Note that this is part Samsung's fault too, since they don't actually provide factory recovery images for anything (especially since carrier bullshit), and OH YEAH their fancy Knox security? Not so much. Note that this comes right on the heels of it being DoD-approved. :suspense:

Better option is to get a phone that isn't user-hostile and let eBay find some other idiot to deal with yours.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Better option is to get a phone that isn't user-hostile and let eBay find some other idiot to deal with yours.
But but my SD CARD!!!!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is there any way to improve a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0? My first option was a CM rom, but there's no official release and messing around with random roms off xda doesn't seem worth it. I'm not trying to fix the tablet since it works perfectly fine for its intended user (2-year-old), but I'm curious to know if there's something root-y I can do to make it less... well, less Samsung.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

But but my SD CARD!!!!

The Moto G has an SD card slot.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Skeezy posted:

YouTuber posted:

This is why I stopped dealing with Cyanogen.
That's where I ended up after a known "unfixable" bug on the Razr Maxx in which you would eventually lose GPS until you booted into stock, waited 20+ minutes outside for GPS to get a fix without AGPS, then went back to CM. The people who develop it are really good for the most part, but they don't have the debugging resources that hardware OEMs do to take that last step to being an OEM replacement.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

That's where I ended up after a known "unfixable" bug on the Razr Maxx in which you would eventually lose GPS until you booted into stock, waited 20+ minutes outside for GPS to get a fix without AGPS, then went back to CM. The people who develop it are really good for the most part, but they don't have the debugging resources that hardware OEMs do to take that last step to being an OEM replacement.

Custom roms are a totally worthwhile endeavor. Definitely worth your time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GWBBQ posted:

I remember when the Evo 4G was first getting CM7 it took months to get GPS working properly and the workaround was something like this. Boot to stock, reset AGPS, and it would work for some indeterminate amount of time.

Anyone know enough about the Android GPS subsystem to explain why this happens when on the PC side of things GPSes are basically universal devices that show up as a serial port and output a standard data format (NMEA)? Has Qualcomm gone out of their way to make their GPS chips insane?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

wolrah posted:

I remember when the Evo 4G was first getting CM7 it took months to get GPS working properly and the workaround was something like this. Boot to stock, reset AGPS, and it would work for some indeterminate amount of time.

Anyone know enough about the Android GPS subsystem to explain why this happens when on the PC side of things GPSes are basically universal devices that show up as a serial port and output a standard data format (NMEA)? Has Qualcomm gone out of their way to make their GPS chips insane?

What seems more likely, Qualcomm making their chips insane or android ROM developers being incompetent?

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

LastInLine posted:

But but my SD CARD!!!!

This wouldn't be problem if I could actually buy phone with 32/64GB internal storage, but I couldn't find any phone like that here when I bought S4. And if they did they were pretty much huge ripoffs compared to buying the phone+SD.
To be honest I care more about easily removable batteries than SD cards. It's shame most phones are trying too hard to be thin as a paper :(

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 25, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

What seems more likely, Qualcomm making their chips insane or android ROM developers being incompetent?

It could be other situation, where asus hosed up TF101 and 201s so they never got gps to work properly and then some guy makes it work with a custom rom :v:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Guillermus posted:

It could be other situation, where asus hosed up TF101 and 201s so they never got gps to work properly and then some guy makes it work with a custom rom :v:

Not that that can't happen, but when the solution is "reboot out of our rom and back into the working stock rom and the feature works perfectly!!!", I think it's unlikely :)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Custom roms are a totally worthwhile endeavor. Definitely worth your time.
To their credit, the CM maintainers for the XT910/912 got 4.0 through 4.3 mostly working on an OMAP device after Motorola said it wasn't possible, but in the end the real solution was to buy a Moto X

wolrah posted:

The response developers always gave is that you would have to write a new radio to fix it, which sounds to me like the maintainers for certain CM builds just didn't know how the hardware abstraction layer for GPS worked.

edit: apparently some ROMs store incorrect values to the radio NVRAM and restoring to stock overwrites them.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 25, 2014

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hey I've got a couple questions I figure should go in here.

A) Is there a rom I can use to replace dumb samsung stuff on a note 10.1 but still keep all my stylus things? I already switched launchers, but it's still all samsung-y.

B) I'm having problems using multirom, I'm getting an error booting Ubuntu touch and it tells me to view the log, but as far as I can tell it's impossible for me to see the mulitrom log, because it gets overwritten by successfully booting android any time I get far enough booted to access the logfile. Does anybody know how to actually view a failed log for multirom?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

I've got a Samsung Xcover 2 (GT-S7710), which for some reason only has 1 gb of internal storage, and a strange partition setup that doesn't allow moving apps to the SD card. This isn't ideal.

This blog entry suggests that the way to go is to flash a "deodexed" and pre-rooted ROM, and use Mounts2SD with a properly formatted SD card. Is the advice here correct, or is there a way to fix the SD storage issues without doing that?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vlad the Retailer posted:

I've got a Samsung Xcover 2 (GT-S7710), which for some reason only has 1 gb of internal storage, and a strange partition setup that doesn't allow moving apps to the SD card. This isn't ideal.

This blog entry suggests that the way to go is to flash a "deodexed" and pre-rooted ROM, and use Mounts2SD with a properly formatted SD card. Is the advice here correct, or is there a way to fix the SD storage issues without doing that?

Not sure. But lol at the Cyanogenmod talk at that page:

that link posted:

*** UPDATE September 14, 2014: I did not get my Samsung Xcover 2 to recognize the SIM card with any of the CyanogenMod versions 10.1, 10.2 or 11. I also tried the OmniROM but it did not recognize the SIM card either. Some people have reported that their Xcover 2 works fine with the CyanogenMod. The only way I could get it to recognize the SIM card was to use a pre-rooted Samsung ROM that enabled me to change the default installation location to the SD card. Read about the method below. ***

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
uhh I have a problem.

I flashed my T-mobile note 2 with a ROM designed for a different note 2 carrier. Which lead to a bootloop.

I can still boot into recovery mode and download mode. I tried to install a new bootloader with Odin, but it seemed like it froze, and now the samsung usb drivers aren't recognizing my phone. I assume that means I will not be able to use adb to make any other changes.

Anytime I try to flash a backup or a fresh ROM from SD card, it fails. If I copy the file using aromaFM, then flash, it will just result in a bootloop.

What can I do? Can T-mobile just flash it back to stock somehow if I can't fix it?

e:

I was able to see my phone while in recovery with adb. I couldn't get Odin to recognize it in download mode. I reinstalled the usb drivers with zadig(http://zadig.akeo.ie/), for fun. Yesterday, I had tried using the CM installer on win7 to see if it would do anything. CM installer wouldn't recognize it after my failed bootloader update. Today it was able to recognize my device, and now its slowly doing its thing.
I don't know if this will fix the problem, but at least I can use adb now.

e2:

I dunno, it installed finally. I got the upgraded CM guy logo, then back to the mean guy face and the spinning arrow. Now it is bootlooping.

e3:

Somehow everything I try now is recognizing my phone as a GT-N7105, instead of as a sgh-t889. How can I fix this?

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 27, 2014

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

RZA Encryption posted:

I just want to point out that you are planning to replace your phone's modem firmware with something some people on a message board told you about. Something that was uploaded to a file hosting site by a guy named "DocHoliday77". How much do you trust DocHoliday77? Because once you install that, DocHoliday77 could monitor everything you do.

When you get caught up in the custom rom scene, you tend to lose sight of things like this. Take a step back and decide if it's worth it. Think about what you're gaining with your custom rom, and what you're losing by having to deal with things like this. Think about DocHoliday77. Who are they? What do they do? What are they doing right now? Are they making malicious phone modem software? Are they convincing people to use said software?

You really don't need to do this anymore.

So I have a AT&T Galaxy S3 with CM on 4.3 and was thinking about updating it to 4.4.
Is this a problem that a lot of people are experiencing?
Should I just not update my phone?

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
gently caress rooting phones in the future. Anytime I need some magical custom extracted file to fix step x, the last link is >1 year old, and there are somehow no other sources.

Does anyone have the modem.bin from T889UVBMB4? The XDA thread with modem downloads has dead links. Even just attempting to find the full T889UVBMB4 firmware file for download is a huge hassle. The developer community so devoid of working links. All I need is the drat radio.

Things I need: modem file, impossible to find apparently. AGNI kernel, plenty of threads, no links though!

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 28, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Isaac Asimov posted:

Does anyone have the modem.bin from T889UVBMB4? The XDA thread with modem downloads has dead links. Even just attempting to find the full T889UVBMB4 firmware file for download is a huge hassle. The developer community so devoid of working links. All I need is the drat radio.

Things I need: modem file, impossible to find apparently. AGNI kernel, plenty of threads, no links though!

Rooted Android Thread.txt

Right here.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

I agree.

XDA.jpg is a picture of the largest trash island in the Pacific ocean.

I'll post again, although this thread is the forgotten shoebox of obsolete trinkets in the closet of a room used for storage: What can I do? Can T-mobile just flash it back to stock somehow if I can't fix it?

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 28, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Isaac Asimov posted:

I agree.

XDA.jpg is a picture of the largest trash island in the Pacific ocean.

I'll post again, although this thread is the forgotten shoebox of obsolete trinkets in the closet of a room used for storage: What can I do? Can T-mobile just flash it back to stock somehow if I can't fix it?

Why would T-Mobile touch the phone after you've voided the warranty? Hopefully someone helpful will come by, but you're basically on your own + guidance from here and xda. As far as I can recall, Samsung phones should be completely fixable if you can get it into download mode, get it seen in Odin, and have the stock flashable image thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer is pretty much right, when it comes to rooting you are expected to keep track of not only the files you need to do what you want to do but all the files you'll need if you want to go back.

In the future if it's something you want to burden yourself with there are Nexus phones that don't actively work against you but I think you'll find that the ones fighting you are the ones you'll most want to fix.

I wish you luck, I don't know where to find your files but hopefully you'll get lucky.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Although I'm now am android user, I loved how iTunes would always revert your phone to stock regardless of how bad you hosed up your phone while jailbreaking. Keis sucks for that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Although I'm now am android user, I loved how iTunes would always revert your phone to stock regardless of how bad you hosed up your phone while jailbreaking. Keis sucks for that.
Android also has this, until the OEMs/carriers get hold of it. Flashing the stock image to a Nexus device takes two minutes and fixes anything you can do it. It's not quite as user-friendly as iTunes but it should be trivial for anyone interested enough to be loving around with this stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

While it may be this way now, it certainly was not always. I had the original iPhone and the 3G before going to Android and more than a few times I spent hours dicking around with different combinations of DFU mode, booting with buttons pressed, random CLI utilities I had to compile from source, etc. to get back to a working device after something went wrong while jailbreaking a new version of the OS.

The restore button always worked for normal user level fuckups, but if you've messed with the boot process or other parts of the system it's not as reliable.

On the other hand I don't believe we've seen anything on the iOS side like the dozens of cases in Android ROMs where someone copied one too many things from their dev phone and suddenly all their users have their IMEI/WiMax Key/whatever or none at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

Android also has this, until the OEMs/carriers get hold of it. Flashing the stock image to a Nexus device takes two minutes and fixes anything you can do it. It's not quite as user-friendly as iTunes but it should be trivial for anyone interested enough to be loving around with this stuff.

My galaxy s4 would like some words with you! Kies knew my phone was hosed but didn't do poo poo to fix it