Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

Black Bayonetta would just be Lana from Archer

Would her hands be super exaggerated rather than her legs then?

Obviously we know what her climax theme would be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just listened to the follow up talk for polygon's review. Dude was really worried about putting up that score.
https://soundcloud.com/polygons-quality-control/bayonetta-2

We're so close to release!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Korra reviews are trickling in but I can't read them at work. Anybody here have some first impressions to share?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
These are mine.

Golden Goat posted:

Just listened to the follow up talk for polygon's review. Dude was really worried about putting up that score.
https://soundcloud.com/polygons-quality-control/bayonetta-2

We're so close to release!

Maybe 3 days is just too long a wait.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

That's too bad, I was sort of hoping it'd be a good buy, if only to give me some reason to care about this Airbender nonsense.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've admittedly played very little, but I think it is fine so far.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah those reviews look awful for Korra. Oh well we always have Bayonetta 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not seeing the complaints about Korra, honestly. It's not Bayonetta but it's got a bunch of classic Platinum mechanics and plays pretty good. It's not the best game ever or anything but dodge-offsetting bending moves and taunting enemies like Jetstream Sam never gets old.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I'm not getting the hate either. I just played through it in one sitting (took about 4 hours) and came away with a smile on my face. I've never watched Avatar or The Legend of Korra but it was pretty easy to follow along with what little story there was. Enemy variety is nice and the game doles out the elemental powers at a satisfying pace. There's loads of side passageways to explore and optional fights to activate, and the game really kicked my butt in a few spots. The game has dodge-offsets and taunts as ImpAtom said, and even has guard-cancelling which works similarly to blade-cancelling in Revengeance. It's a Platinum game through and through.

The counter system is really satisfying and pretty forgiving to activate. Countering those motorcycle goons as they ride at me and then punching them in the chest 30+ times will never get old. Some enemies feel harder to counter though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the counter window becomes smaller on Extreme difficulty. I agree with the complaints about a couple health-spongy enemies, but countering helps a lot as it does a fair chunk of damage. The game also has one of the coolest super modes I've ever seen. Goddrat. :stare:

I don't mind the Pro-bending sections as they're basically just counter practice. The Naga-riding sections are dumb though and there are a few of them. And I have to agree that the camera is terrible - easily just as bad as Revengeance's. Sometimes it's better not to lock on in a fight so you can have a wider view of the battlefield.

All that said, killing dudes with elemental powers and countering them to oblivion is fun. I'm definitely going to go back to find all the hidden goodies and try out Extreme mode. If you're used to the usual Platinum caveats (terrible camera, jarring gameplay shifts) it's easily worth the $15 to tide you over till Bayonetta 2.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I don't know what to think after S ranking all of revengence and being pure platinum in bayonetta 1 and only getting final score silver in this.

Its good for 15 bux

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd call Korra "competent, but clearly low budget" and leave it at that.

Which is more than I can say about season 2 :haw:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

I agree with the complaints about a couple health-spongy enemies, but countering helps a lot as it does a fair chunk of damage.

I really found that the key to them was keeping your Chi meter fully charged basically 24/7. Admittedly I went through the game with the x2exp/half health item equipped the entire time so I had maxed-out levels by the end but a level-3 chi charge wrecks some serious poo poo, especially if you hit the perfect charge.

Also on an unrelated note if you do the Pro-Bending stuff you unlock after you finish the game (which takes like ten minutes to go through tops) you unlock an accessory which is basically Witch Time Lite, which is pretty fun.

Pomp posted:

Yeah, it's low budget for sure but pretty good for a low-budget $15 title.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
I'll just quote the review I put on steam with regards to Korra:

JDetan posted:

No, it's not Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising. Yes, it is a Platinum game. It's short, but priced appropriately. There's not much variety in enemy design, but they're challenging and different enough to not be samey. If you're a fan of the show, you'll certainly like the game more than someone who doesn't, but the core gameplay is great as always with Platinum, with lots of hidden depth, and just like Metal Gear Rising, the PC version is excellent: it doesn't need to install DirectX redistributables or whatnot, it just opens, and it opens in a window, which I prefer. I also like how when you change resolutions, it does so on the fly, without having to hit "apply". There aren't a huge amount of PC specific options, which would probably be annoying if it wasn't so silky smooth and optimized. Honestly, you can't go wrong with this if you're looking for about 5-6 hours of a fun Spectacle Brawler.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just find it boring. Like it's not bad, but there's too much stuff I don't particularly care for for me to really enjoy it.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

ImpAtom posted:

I really found that the key to them was keeping your Chi meter fully charged basically 24/7. Admittedly I went through the game with the x2exp/half health item equipped the entire time so I had maxed-out levels by the end but a level-3 chi charge wrecks some serious poo poo, especially if you hit the perfect charge.

Also on an unrelated note if you do the Pro-Bending stuff you unlock after you finish the game (which takes like ten minutes to go through tops) you unlock an accessory which is basically Witch Time Lite, which is pretty fun.

I never actually understood what the Chi meter was for. I knew that I was missing something though. It'll definitely come in handy on repeat playthroughs.

And Witch Time Lite sounds amazing. Gonna go do that right now.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I never actually understood what the Chi meter was for. I knew that I was missing something though. It'll definitely come in handy on repeat playthroughs.

And Witch Time Lite sounds amazing. Gonna go do that right now.

I didn't figure it out until the end of the game, but charging the chi meter buffs all of your attacks. It's especially noticeable once you get 3 bars of airbending meter.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit and will definitely give it a run through on extreme. Dodge offset works just like Bayonetta and you can seamlessly switch bending modes midcombo. I think it's really fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basically when you do a charge move, you build up Chi meter which boosts your damage and slightly alters your attacks. Each level has a greater effect. It's most obvious on Earthbending where Level 3 has Korra start pulling up giant boulders and smashing them together and stuff and Airbending which becomes basically "the entire screen is death." The damage boost lasts until the chi runs out. As you're charging you also have circles which begin closing in on Korra and if you time it just as they hit her body it'll flash and the move you're charging will do huge damage.

Also you can dodge while charging to instantly 'lock in' the current level of chi charge without having to actually do a move so you're not actually really vulnerable while doing it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I wish triple puddle ice pillar was more damaging considering the difficulty of setting it up. Luckily ice is still a contender once you get the ice daggers upgrade but I can't help but feel wind is just straight up better in most situations.

Fire letting you essentially teleport at lvl 3 charge is really cool

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I bit the bullet and got Korra on Steam. It feels exactly like what it is: a budget Platinum title. Now the real question is whether or not I'll still enjoy it without all the bombastic over the top action that usually accompanies P* games.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

notZaar posted:

I bit the bullet and got Korra on Steam. It feels exactly like what it is: a budget Platinum title. Now the real question is whether or not I'll still enjoy it without all the bombastic over the top action that usually accompanies P* games.
Looks like it's still got some crazy poo poo in it:

There's a Korra thread for the game up if you want to continue discussion there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pomp posted:

Which is more than I can say about weason 2 :haw:

Pretty much, if you heard that Platinum was making a $15 licensed Nickelodeon game and thought "I want to play that" you'll probably enjoy it.

Anyone have any idea if Target is going to have Bayo II in stores? There website says online only but it also says that for Smash Bros and there's no way that's right. Got a stack of gift cards to burn through.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Cool Korra chat but let me remind you this game will be out and released to the North American public in less than 24 hours.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

oknope posted:

Cool Korra chat but let me remind you this game will be out and released to the North American public in less than 24 hours.

It'll be out sooner in Europe. I grabbing a physical copy the moment the stores open.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Download codes are out, so if they unlock it at the same time they did Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2 will be available for download in ~7 hours here in Euroland.

Really wish pre-loading was possible on the WiiU, but oh well.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Please move the OP back here. Don't care about the 10 pages of feminism chat, just the OP.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Does this poo poo come out at midnight eastern for download in the us? Hoping so!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Got the game early from Amazon!!!! My family got in today and will be staying with me until Sunday so I can't play...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ethiser posted:

Got the game early from Amazon!!!! My family got in today and will be staying with me until Sunday so I can't play...

gently caress it, just play it in front of them. If they find it objectionable there's a ton of internet essays you can point them towards.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ethiser posted:

How lame is your family that you can't play Bayonetta in front of them?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

Mine hasn't even shipped :(

Pomp fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 24, 2014

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Download codes are go in Europe now, you can start downloading.
It's also 14.7GB according to the eShop, as opposed to 17GB.

e: also, if you've bought Bayonetta 2 Digitally, you can get Bayonetta for 10£ / 10eur etc etc.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

New trailer bragging about all of the positive reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU0d6s-8xGY

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

alcharagia posted:

How lame is your family that you can't play Bayonetta in front of them?

It's not the play in front of them that's the problem it's that I won't be free to play.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ethiser posted:

It's not the play in front of them that's the problem it's that I won't be free to play.

Make Bayonetta a communal family experience.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've got this downloading as we speak!

The WiiU has decided for me that it's going to download to USB storage rather than system storage. I don't want that! In this case I'll move it after the fact (although it'll take a while because USB 2.0 and Nintendo doesn't seem great at moving files around) but in future is there a way to tell the WiiU to not do that? I want to play my shiny action game from not USB storage so I can avail of not USB 2.0 loading times.

Christ 32GB was a terrible storage choice.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm borrowing a friend's WiiU just to play this. Ideally do I want him to give me a pro controller to play it with? I know next to nothing about Wii controllers. I just know there is a pro controller out there, and it looks like pretty decent. If he doesn't own a pro controller, is the default controller a decent option?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 24, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Evil Eagle posted:

New trailer bragging about all of the positive reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU0d6s-8xGY

I really hope they end the trailer with the "Great game but Im offended by all the tits - Polygon"

Edit: Aww they didnt. What a wasted opportunity

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Pomp posted:

Mine hasn't even shipped :(

Mine hasn't shipped from Amazon yet either. Guess I'm heading to Gamestop first thing tomorrow morning.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone else having trouble getting Bayonetta 1 to show up for the discounted price after purchasing 2 on the eShop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone else having trouble getting Bayonetta 1 to show up for the discounted price after purchasing 2 on the eShop?

Yup. Rewatched the instructional promo vid just to make sure I hadn't hosed something up, but it seems it's just not working as intended.

Give it an hour or so. It's not like you can play both at the same time anyway.

• Locked thread