Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't find the post I was looking for but someone brought up Batman's straight on fighting style in TDKR as opposed to the stealthy ninja style moves he used in the other movies. I always just chalked that up to the long layoff. Bruce didn't exactly look like he was training every day and staying sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He explicitly gets called out for trying to slug it out like a younger man. That complaint always struck me as really weird.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The thing that bugs me about Nolan's Batman movies is that Bruce spends a year fighting crime as Batman for like, a year and a half at the most. There's only about a year between BB and TDK as Joker says. He then goes into hiding/retirement at the end of The Dark Knight and TDKR is like 8 years later. In the near-decade timeframe the Batman movies cover, Batman is barely Batman in it.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Oct 22, 2014

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

The thing that bugs me about Nolan's Batman movies is that Bruce spends a year fighting crime as Batman for like, a year and a half at the most. There's only about a year between BB and TDK as Joker says. He then goes into hiding/retirement at the end of The Dark Knight and TDKR is like 8 years later. In the near-decade timeframe the Batman movies cover, Batman is barely Batman in it.

It kind of works in the films. The justification being that with Dent as a symbol people would rally and clean up the city in a way that Batman couldn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Away all Goats posted:

Batman works because he makes himself a myth figure; not seeing him but knowing he's out there is more effective than seeing him every day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I also wouldn't say it was directly after the end of TDK that he goes into hiding, they just say it was after the Dent Act gets passed which let them do the whole indefinite detention for mobsters thing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this? posted:

I also wouldn't say it was directly after the end of TDK that he goes into hiding, they just say it was after the Dent Act gets passed which let them do the whole indefinite detention for mobsters thing.

It appears that the 4th amendment is very different in the Nolan-verse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's the theory of nuclear bat deterrence. Didn't you guys ever read about that in school?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

It appears that the 4th amendment is very different in the Nolan-verse.

Well, that was definitely on purpose since it's what caused Gordon to become disillusioned.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I agree with Away All Goats. I know it's because they wanted Dent as a symbol, Batman as a myth and all that but it doesn't feel satisfying. It's hard to explain.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gaunab posted:

I agree with Away All Goats. I know it's because they wanted Dent as a symbol, Batman as a myth and all that but it doesn't feel satisfying. It's hard to explain.

Was it because they did more telling than showing?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
In an old Star Trek episode Abraham Lincoln appears in space for some reason. He asks Captain Kirk whether they still use minutes and seconds to measure time, and Kirk replies: "No, but we can convert." Later in the episode Kirk says some crazy space distance and it's in miles. So in the future seconds are out but miles are in? Bullshit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ways The Dark Knight Rises could have been better in hindsight:
  1. Have Bruce be Batman for the last eight years and it's worn him down. This way Batman would be absent from a quarter of the movie, not half the loving thing.

2. Shave off some of the subplots. What was the point of Matthew Modine's character?

3. Reveal Talia earlier on in the movie. Maybe have her do something awful, like killing Alfred, so audiences would remember to hate this character.

4. Give Bane a proper death. What the gently caress was that? I sneezed in the theatre and missed him being taken out like a common mook. Imagine if Roy Batty fell off that slippery ledge before he got his speech out.

5. Get some proper sound-mixing. Drowned-out, mumbled dialogue has always been a problem in Nolan's blockbusters but it really comes to a head here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkOIm6sCI9E

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Oct 22, 2014

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I'm watching TDKR for the second time right now, and it's funny how Bane's speech changes in the middle of the loving scene because they obviously had to dub/ADR some of it. But I think that was prominent in TDK as well. Every main character should have been given strange voices just to keep things consistent. Definitely agree on no. 3 and 4.

I can forgive Nolan for his giant plot holes because that's sort of expected by now, but technical stuff is just jarring.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, it would've been fine, but then Bale got annoyed with some guy and started messing with his lights...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ways The Dark Knight Rises could have been better in hindsight:

Burn the film and start over would be my suggestion.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

To this day I don't understand what Bane says during the football stadium scene. Then again that scene is so goofy maybe it should have been left out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bane's voice in that movie is so drat stupid. God it's so stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everytime anyone tries to do the Bane voice, it just comes across as Sean Connery to me.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Tom Hardy had three backup accents. One was Elmer Fudd but the director binned 'Goffams weckoning'.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have not seen TDKR, but I'm starting to think I should just so I can understand what people mean by things like "the Bane voice." I get the feeling it's going to be a joke/complaint for a while.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lotish posted:

I have not seen TDKR, but I'm starting to think I should just so I can understand what people mean by things like "the Bane voice." I get the feeling it's going to be a joke/complaint for a while.

Have you played Diablo? He sounds like younger Deckard Cain when he says "Stay a while and listen"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

KoB posted:

Have you played Diablo? He sounds like younger Deckard Cain when he says "Stay a while and listen"

I am so glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Why does Bane sound like an old, upbeat Irish/Scottish/Welsh man? That's the kind of voice you expect from someone handing out caramels at the old folks' home.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They should have done something like the Hush storyline for TDKR. It could have been a story that focused on Bruce/Batman and could have displayed batman's detective skills while he's trying to find out who's sabotaging his life. They could even play off the public's attitude on Batman and still fit Talia in it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

KoB posted:

This is spot-on. Younger, and with some croaky-ness to it, and some Darth Vader breathing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I still think it's weird to have a movie about Bane and ignore the whole venom thing. I get that super muscle juice is pretty out there, but it's not really any worse than fear gas.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Dr_Amazing posted:

I still think it's weird to have a movie about Bane and ignore the whole venom thing. I get that super muscle juice is pretty out there, but it's not really any worse than fear gas.

DC just can't handle how loving dumb comic books are and desperately tries to be gritty and realistic. I'm really curious how far they are taking this. Will someone finally get his arm ripped off like in every DC comic in the last year?
How will they grit up Wonder Woman? Does the golden lasso decapitate everyone and the invisible plane carry Amazonian nukes?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dr_Amazing posted:

They could have spun it into a steroids kind of thing.

Which wouldn't even be out of line with reality, considering Tom Hardy :v:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Lotish posted:

It sounds a bit like Doctor Robotnik in the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons, but more sleepy and less excited about everything.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Shai-Hulud posted:

DC just can't handle how loving dumb comic books are and desperately tries to be gritty and realistic. I'm really curious how far they are taking this. Will someone finally get his arm ripped off like in every DC comic in the last year?
How will they grit up Wonder Woman? Does the golden lasso decapitate everyone and the invisible plane carry Amazonian nukes?

They had her torture suspects for information, then go mope about how she has no Facebook friends.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shai-Hulud posted:

The made all the amazons in to rapists and baby killers.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bobkatt013 posted:

The made all the amazons in to rapists and baby killers.

:stonklol:
I looked up New 52 Wonder Woman on wikipedia and you aren't even joking.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aleph Null posted:

:stonklol:
I looked up New 52 Wonder Woman on wikipedia and you aren't even joking.

Funny enough other than that its the best Wonder Women run they have had in years.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

muscles like this? posted:

A really stupid thing about Enemy of the State is the lingerie store where they just have models walk around in underwear.

There are much stupider things than that in that movie.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

I am so glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Why does Bane sound like an old, upbeat Irish/Scottish/Welsh man? That's the kind of voice you expect from someone handing out caramels at the old folks' home.

It was actually based on Bartley Gorman, a gypsy bare-knuckle boxing champion.

Adding to the Nolan-dubs, the opening heist in Dark Knight just sounds straight up weird. All the masked robbers are dubbed over and it sounds like they're reading their lines with no context.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I enjoyed Lucy. It was fun :colbert: It went full Akira and I appreciated that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shai-Hulud posted:

What's weird is that what little I've seen of their recent tv shows (Arrow, Flash and even Gotham, especially in the latest episode) they've decided to stop resisting and just embrace the utter lunacy of the source material (Gorilla Grodd :hellyeah:). The shows aren't great by any means, in fact they're pretty actively terrible in a lot of regards, but at least they don't seem to be embarrassed about where they come from.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It took a long goddamn time for Arrow to have and loving humor about itself.
Also, Solomon Grundy is just a strong guy in a black mask? That worse than Black Canary not having sonic powers. Those little disks don't count. The Flash has actual super powers, why can't she?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Lotish posted:

Basically it sounded like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i61aSmql7a8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Inzombiac posted:

It took a long goddamn time for Arrow to have and loving humor about itself.
Also, Solomon Grundy is just a strong guy in a black mask? That worse than Black Canary not having sonic powers. Those little disks don't count. The Flash has actual super powers, why can't she?

I'm only early into season 2 but I thought the show was really funny... was that not intentional? :sweatdrop: