Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Do you guys have any idea how difficult it is to replace a main board on a Panasonic plasma tv? I had a power surge on the tv a few days ago and not it turns on but none of the buttons work on the tv and nothing displays but the backlight. From what I've read it's most likely the main board that went out. I'm not sure if I should try and fix it or just trash it (it's only about 2 years old).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wandler20 posted:

Do you guys have any idea how difficult it is to replace a main board on a Panasonic plasma tv? I had a power surge on the tv a few days ago and not it turns on but none of the buttons work on the tv and nothing displays but the backlight. From what I've read it's most likely the main board that went out. I'm not sure if I should try and fix it or just trash it (it's only about 2 years old).

Can you handle a screwdriver?

edit: Actually its also possible you may have to do service menu adjustments, but the physical swap should be easy.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Hi, I hope I'm posting in the right place for help. If not, I apologize.

My mother just got herself a Wii U to replace her Wii, and she's been having trouble getting it to display on her LG 55LM6400-UA. We've attempted connecting it via HDMI to each of its four HDMI ports, but the television cannot detect any signal (it can detect that there is something plugged into its HDMI ports, however). We also attempted connecting via the original Wii's composite cables - but where the TV can detect a signal from the Wii, it cannot detect one from the Wii U.

We attempted to do a firmware update for the television, however it is at the most current version. The Wii U displays fine on other televisions in the home, both HDMI and composite.

I've been trying to Google a solution, but nobody else seems to have confronted the same issue that we have. Nintendo tech support just offers typical suggestions (make sure the Wii U is on, make sure you actually have a HDMI cable, make sure your Wii U is updated, yadda yadda). Other devices display fine on the LG's HDMI ports - satellite, Blu Ray player, etc. I don't know what exactly the problem is. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Thank you in advance for any help.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Try unplugging the TV from the socket for about 10 minutes.

HDCP can be weird.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Is there any downside to purchasing a refurbished TV that is a 2014 model? Specifically, I was looking at THIS VIZIO because it's gotten really good reviews. Also, are there any other display lag websites than the one listed in the OP? It didn't really have any of the models I was looking at.

edit: Eh, I guess I really don't need a SMART TV because I'll have my xbox hooked up. So, I can probably get a better TV for around that price. I'm waiting to see the black friday deals anyway, but my question still stands. Is there any downside to purchasing refurbished televisions?

10bux fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 22, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It depends who does the refurbishing.

A non-TV example, but Nintendo's refurbishing process requires their consoles to pass the exact same tests they do new off the line, whereas Gamestop's is little more than making sure it turns on.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm pretty much set on a Vizio M-series, either the 42 or 50 inch, but had one more question. I'm currently using my PC monitor to display my PS4. I'm a little worried about all the AV babble, will a modern TV look at least comparably good to my rather ancient PC monitor?

The monitor in question:
http://m.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-W2253V-lcd-monitor

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BGrifter posted:

I'm pretty much set on a Vizio M-series, either the 42 or 50 inch, but had one more question. I'm currently using my PC monitor to display my PS4. I'm a little worried about all the AV babble, will a modern TV look at least comparably good to my rather ancient PC monitor?

The monitor in question:
http://m.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-W2253V-lcd-monitor

Yes, it will look great on the m series. I dont know why you would think it wont.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, it will look great on the m series. I dont know why you would think it wont.

Just the usual pre-purchase jitters. I'm not an AV guy at all and Best Buy has a one day sale on the 50" M-series I'm thinking I'll jump on tonight.

Reading any sort of review site comes off so relentlessly negative about any TV less than $3000. I get that critics get paid to be hypercritical but you'd think anything less than top of the line was utter crap.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BGrifter posted:

Just the usual pre-purchase jitters. I'm not an AV guy at all and Best Buy has a one day sale on the 50" M-series I'm thinking I'll jump on tonight.

Reading any sort of review site comes off so relentlessly negative about any TV less than $3000. I get that critics get paid to be hypercritical but you'd think anything less than top of the line was utter crap.

If i was buying an LCD today and couldn't afford a a $6000 sony or panasonic FALD, id buy a vizio that fit my price range. In fact i did before the F8500 plasma dropped in price.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just bought a Vizio E 50 inch today at Best Buy. I got home and opened the box to find that the frame was completely cracked in the top and bottom right. Time to see how the replacement goes!

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
Need some quick advice!

Do I want...

This:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-4...01001&cp=1&lp=1

Or this:

http://electronics.woot.com/?ref=sh_lgo

Thanks fellow goonians!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Don Lapre posted:

If i was buying an LCD today and couldn't afford a a $6000 sony or panasonic FALD, id buy a vizio that fit my price range. In fact i did before the F8500 plasma dropped in price.

Thanks for putting up with my pre-purchase ramblings. Put a hold on a Vizio 50" M502i-B1 for the sale price of $749.99 CAD, gives me a day to mull it over and decide if it's worth the extra vs waiting for a sale on the 42" M422i-B1 that's currently $599.99.

I originally had my eye on that 42" E-series posted above, and I find myself about to pull the trigger on a $750 50". Whoops.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Krono99 posted:

Need some quick advice!

Do I want...

This:

Or this:

Thanks fellow goonians!

Do you game? Vizio. Otherwise I'd go with the Sharp since I stay away from refurbs. Barring that, the Vizio's likely a better TV (only have experience with larger E-series so assuming they're comparable).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krono99 posted:

Need some quick advice!

Do I want...

This:

Or this:

Thanks fellow goonians!

That Vizio isn't actually 120Hz (the specs say "60Hz Native, 120Hz SPS"). So I'd go with the Sharp if true 120Hz is important to you.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Speaking of Vizios, at the 55-60" range, what's the comparison like between the E and M series?

If I can get away with getting an E and putting the difference towards a nice soundbar/sound system I will.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

aBagorn posted:

Speaking of Vizios, at the 55-60" range, what's the comparison like between the E and M series?

If I can get away with getting an E and putting the difference towards a nice soundbar/sound system I will.

The 55" e series (e550i-b2) is a great TV unless you're super sperg about the best possible calibrated nerd video quality poo poo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

aBagorn posted:

M series has more local dimming zones is the main difference.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
According to the Rtings review of the 2014 Vizio lineup, the local dimming features on the E and M series are both equally bad. They recommend sticking with an E if you don't have any interest in the 4k P series.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Sounds like it's the E series for me.

I'm sure I'm going to be blown away, as I'm coming from a really lovely 2008 Phillips 42" model that I've just been keeping out of inertia.

e: \/ I would. and $679? Walmart is selling the 50 inch for $548

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 23, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Gorman Thomas posted:

According to the Rtings review of the 2014 Vizio lineup, the local dimming features on the E and M series are both equally bad. They recommend sticking with an E if you don't have any interest in the 4k P series.

So I should cancel my order for the 50" M-series and grab the 50" E-series for $120 cheaper? ($799 on sale vs $679 full price)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm looking at 50-55-60" TVs to replace my 7 year old 42" sony tv

Current contenders are the 50/55 Vizio P-series or 55/60 Sony 800B or 850B series, which all seem to have good specs for gaming.

It sounds like the major faults in the P-series is the limited viewing angle, but I'm thinking this could be mitigated somewhat by installing it on an articulating mount.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

BGrifter posted:

So I should cancel my order for the 50" M-series and grab the 50" E-series for $120 cheaper? ($799 on sale vs $679 full price)

If motion interpolation (smoother sports and video games) is worth $120 to you the M is still a fine choice. And the local dimming on both models will probably improve over time as they roll out firmware updates.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Gorman Thomas posted:

If motion interpolation (smoother sports and video games) is worth $120 to you the M is still a fine choice. And the local dimming on both models will probably improve over time as they roll out firmware updates.

I'm mainly going to use it for my PS4, so if that will look a little better on the M-series I'm fine with the extra $120. I'd just settled on the M-series, made the hold request last night, then saw your post and went all :derp:

It irks me a little that my price protection will expire about six days before Black Friday, but otherwise I'm pretty much set and super excited for a new TV. Beats the hell out of the 22" PC monitor and 21" Insignia bargain basement TV I've currently got.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Actually one thing the M does have over the E. The M is a true 120hz panel which means it can properly display 24p content. The E is a 60hz panel.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Actually one thing the M does have over the E. The M is a true 120hz panel which means it can properly display 24p content. The E is a 60hz panel.

The E is completely capable of displaying at 24hz.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm looking at 50-55-60" TVs to replace my 7 year old 42" sony tv

Current contenders are the 50/55 Vizio P-series or 55/60 Sony 800B or 850B series, which all seem to have good specs for gaming.

It sounds like the major faults in the P-series is the limited viewing angle, but I'm thinking this could be mitigated somewhat by installing it on an articulating mount.

I'm still in the same boat as you. I am taking back my 950B for a 800B or 700B this weekend. I keep going back to 4k but it is not a deal breaker.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

The E is completely capable of displaying at 24hz.

Playing 24hz content is different from doing it properly. It has to do 3:2 pulldown since 60 is not divisible by 24. You need a 120hz LCD or higher for proper 24p playback.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Playing 24hz content is different from doing it properly. It has to do 3:2 pulldown since 60 is not divisible by 24. You need a 120hz LCD or higher for proper 24p playback.

It's capable of entering an actual 24hz refresh rate mode though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

It's capable of entering an actual 24hz refresh rate mode though.

Your LCD refresh rate never changes. A 60hz panel always runs at 60hz and a 120 always runs at 120. When you send your 60hz TV a 24hz signal it does 3:2 pulldown and repeats frames unevenly to fit 24 into 60. On a 120hz panel it repeats frames but evenly, often called 5:5 pulldown. Its simply a 60hz panel limitation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the rate of all LCD panels is fixed, they aren't variable. (Well, perhaps not all, but anything that will be in a consumer level TV.)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sparticus posted:

I'm still in the same boat as you. I am taking back my 950B for a 800B or 700B this weekend. I keep going back to 4k but it is not a deal breaker.

How is the 700b and 800b different from the 850b?

Im not convinced that 4k is worth adopting right now...my denon receiver isn't compatible either. I've had really good luck with Sony products too

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

BraveUlysses posted:

How is the 700b and 800b different from the 850b?

Im not convinced that 4k is worth adopting right now...my denon receiver isn't compatible either. I've had really good luck with Sony products too

The 850b comes in 60 and 70. The 700b is the same panel as the 800b without the 3D and it is only at best buy. I'm leaning towards the 700b because I don't care about 3D.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Best Buy were scheduled to deliver my open box PN64F8500 with the missing coax input today, except they missed their window. Not only did they fail to contact me, but apparently they knew early this morning the screen on the unit had been cracked during transport to their warehouse. To make up for it, they offered to replace it with a new one (same $1350 base price) and deliver Saturday. Very impressed, because I expected a hell of an uphill battle with them. Best Buy's customer service has been top notch they last few time I've had to contact them, though in the past it was always for minor issues like missing DLC, etc..

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Best Buy extended warranty? I usually pass on these as a rule, but am wondering if it might not be a good idea for this plasma because sourcing parts might become difficult as production ramps down. They also supposedly cover any wear/tear, surge damage, and IR/pixel issues. Haven't had any issues with my LG set that is coming up on 4 years old now, so maybe it's the waste of money I always assume them to be.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AppleCider posted:

Best Buy were scheduled to deliver my open box PN64F8500 with the missing coax input today, except they missed their window. Not only did they fail to contact me, but apparently they knew early this morning the screen on the unit had been cracked during transport to their warehouse. To make up for it, they offered to replace it with a new one (same $1350 base price) and deliver Saturday. Very impressed, because I expected a hell of an uphill battle with them. Best Buy's customer service has been top notch they last few time I've had to contact them, though in the past it was always for minor issues like missing DLC, etc..

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Best Buy extended warranty? I usually pass on these as a rule, but am wondering if it might not be a good idea for this plasma because sourcing parts might become difficult as production ramps down. They also supposedly cover any wear/tear, surge damage, and IR/pixel issues. Haven't had any issues with my LG set that is coming up on 4 years old now, so maybe it's the waste of money I always assume them to be.

I would risk the IR/burnin on a samsung and get the $90 warranty from costco. I think the BB one is $450

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-42-class-42-diag--led-1080p-120hz-hdtv/5420123.p

Any better deals out there for that size of tv? I don't mind paying more of it's a better price:performance ratio. I don't need any smart stuff as its only purpose is to display XBMC.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does anyone know why my Vizio M602I-B3 doesn't work with 120hz refresh rate from my PC? It says 120hz panel, 240hz effective refresh rate but only syncs up at 60hz. Anyone got theirs running at 120hz?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Does anyone know why my Vizio M602I-B3 doesn't work with 120hz refresh rate from my PC? It says 120hz panel, 240hz effective refresh rate but only syncs up at 60hz. Anyone got theirs running at 120hz?

TVs can only accept a maximum 60Hz signal no matter what their refresh rate is.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

TVs can only accept a maximum 60Hz signal no matter what their refresh rate is.

That isn't true. The p series can accept 1080p/120hz

However the m series does only accept up to 60hz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Holy poo poo the Vizio M-series is gorgeous. Thank you all for the recommendation, couldn't be happier.

I've got the picture looking fantastic for PS4 games with one quirk, text in a game like Diablo 3 is a little too bright and the text colours a bit too intense. I don't want to bring down the overall brightness as backgrounds/games like Shadow of Mordor are perfect it's just the text in menus that's off.

What setting do I need to tinker with to adjust that?