Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it pretty much means you have to start the game as the Fatimids. Oh well.

Would Charlemagne change this mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Started up a viking age game as Amalfi and am trying to claw my way up to becoming the ruler of the Byzantine empire and restoring the Roman republic. It's currently 940 and things are going pretty well for me but not for the realm itself. I started by swallowing up everyone around me until I could form Sicily and then I swore fealty to the emperor. The upside of this, besides making me slightly more powerful than his other vassals, is that he can't easily revoke my title. Genoa, my main competitor, was swallowed up by Burgundy (which was then swallowed up by Italy but fragmented back into Burgundy on inheritance and then by East Francia and then fragmented again into Italy) and Venice by the Byzantines making me the only merchant republic in the world. There's been a lot of holy wars and jihads against the empire, which always seem to occur at the exact same time as major rebellions, but so far all of them have been unsuccessful. Probably because most of them have been by the Shia who aren't very numerous or powerful. There is currently a host attacking the empire but the dude lost like half of his army marching it all the way from northern Germany down to Italy so he'll probably fail. It'll probably be a while until I can get anywhere close to the imperial throne though.

The election bug seems to work in reverse for me. Several times it's looked like I was going to lose the election but somehow I won against all odds.

There is something strange going on with Hungary though. There are two seperate kingdoms: Catholic Hungary, which holds basically all of de-jure Hungary, and Tengri Magyar which has two unconnected counties inside of Catholic Hungary. Both kingdoms are ruled by the same dynasty. I'm guessing this is gavelkind loving up.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

FreudianSlippers posted:

There is something strange going on with Hungary though. There are two seperate kingdoms: Catholic Hungary, which holds basically all of de-jure Hungary, and Tengri Magyar which has two unconnected counties inside of Catholic Hungary. Both kingdoms are ruled by the same dynasty. I'm guessing this is gavelkind loving up.

That's some serious family drama right there!

In my game, from the 1066 Stamford Bridge start, there isn't a Hungary and I don't think there ever was. No Magyars either, though there sure is a loving gigantic Tengri Tartaria that thank god has never hosed with me yet.

Also, William the Bastard must have never become the Conqueror, because the English are still Godwins. At least until the current heir takes the throne, and then he'll be a Lupino. And when he takes the crown of Emperor of Sicilia in another generation or so, he'll have four or five kingships to his name too.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
How do I make those colored flat maps people sometimes show off in the thread? I'm finishing a game soon that I'd like to showcase a bit.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

How do I make those colored flat maps people sometimes show off in the thread? I'm finishing a game soon that I'd like to showcase a bit.

Press F10 (I think, might be F11. Whichever one of those two isn't the normal screenshot button) and it will make one in the screenshot folder using whatever map mode you have it set to currently.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Frijolero posted:

Yeah it pretty much means you have to start the game as the Fatimids. Oh well.

Would Charlemagne change this mechanic?

No its the same for every small dejure empire. Italia is worse it needs parts of two other empires.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Soo, I haven't heard anyone talk about the custom kingdom aspect of the game. It's really poo poo as far as I can tell. I'm certain I read somewhere that you could choose the flag etc and I was expecting you could choose colour as well, but it's literally just an upgrade of your primary duchy that resets all of your inheritance laws. Sorry son, now that I have a gold circle floating around my head I HAVE to split everything between your 12 brothers now. But hey. Look on the brightside, I have one more demesne slot.

I wonder if resetting your laws is intended. That's not cool or fun. Pretty sure I'd just console fix that.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Rumda posted:

No its the same for every small dejure empire. Italia is worse it needs parts of two other empires.

It's not impossible though, and the third kingship can be whatever. I used Africa because gently caress the Fatamids.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Martello posted:

It's not impossible though, and the third kingship can be whatever. I used Africa because gently caress the Fatamids.

Burgundy makes for the cleanest borders, even if it is on the wrong side of the Alps. Of course, you'll probably have to fight either the HRE or the Karling clowncar to get it, but them's the breaks.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait wait wait, am I reading this right in the tech tooltips? Pagan Attrition penalty now goes away at Mil Org 2? Which practically every kingdom in the Indian Subcontinent already has? Faaaa. Does it at least not remove it but make it not as harsh?

Snatch Duster posted:

Yea I agree it is pretty stupid. Ethopia was a legit empire in and of itself, and adding in Egypt is dumb.
But but but, that might mean adding more Africa to the Map and we can't have that, can we?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 23, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'd like some advice. My current character is queen of Sicily, though there are two duchies that are not part of the Kingdom: one is owned by an Italian duke, another by a Byzantine. I already tried taking on a weakened Byzantine empire for a county and won while spending way too much money.

Taking on an empire title would be nice, and since Italy isn't an empire yet, I could swear fealty to the Byzantines and try to take them down from within as a strong vassal. I'd be an Italian Catholic though, which would make a "put me on the throne" faction kind of weak, and I'm guessing they're not elective since they are currently at High CA. The last time I managed to take over the Byzantines was very different (I also owned Tunis and the Byzantines had lost some territory, also they were Elective.) I'm not quite sure about the strategies for getting the throne.

Another possibility is that (and I'm not sure how) a distant cousin of my dynasty is currently King of Germany, so I could try to breed with them and try to form the HRE against a fairly fragmented area. Last is trying to get Italy and form Italia somehow.

I want my Emperor achievement dammit :(

FYI I'm still on 2.1.6.

EDIT: also I could try to vassalize the Pope which I hear is useful.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 23, 2014

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
I think I found a gamey way for Catholics to get around splitting their realm when they are on Gavelkind and to hand pick the best male child to be sole heir.

Forcing your children to take vows requires your sons to be imprisoned, normally requiring you to take a tyranny hit. However, it does not require heirs to be imprisoned by you. Just make them your court chaplain and send them on conversion missions to independent pagan counties and they'll be imprisoned in no time. After that, you can force them to take vows easy-peasy!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised that being Chaplain doesn't require you to be a bishop first.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

Also it sounds like merchant republics are still broken post beta patch

I have not experienced any brokenness in my post-patch merchant republic games upon losing the election.

Deus Rex fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 23, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Deus Rex posted:

I have not experienced any brokenness in my post-patch merchant republic games upon losing the election.

I lost an election, had one day of not being supreme doge, the next day I was back to being supreme doge and all the other families had dissolved and been replaced with new, random families with 0 holdings each.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Corbeau posted:

The capitol city doesn't get handed out properly upon succession, so frequently the new "doge" wins up without a city and reverts to something else, destroying the republic. Basically, it's broken.

I was going on posts like this that have been cropping up, and have not actually played a republic game

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

awesmoe posted:

I lost an election, had one day of not being supreme doge, the next day I was back to being supreme doge and all the other families had dissolved and been replaced with new, random families with 0 holdings each.

This sounds strangely like an election in a Soviet satellite state.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Tevery Best posted:

This sounds strangely like an election in a Soviet satellite state.

I kinda sat back and thought about it for a bit and then decided to chalk it up to divine intervention (I had a very good chaplain).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

So yeah Karloman is an insanely easy start. Why would he be worth an achievement? "congratulations, you successfully fended off the Ai's clumsy attempts at plotting your doom"?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Excelzior posted:

So yeah Karloman is an insanely easy start. Why would he be worth an achievement? "congratulations, you successfully fended off the Ai's clumsy attempts at plotting your doom"?

There's an achievement for getting married. Achievements for everybody! :homebrew:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Personally I prefer when devs use achievements as messaging for "here's something you could try to do!" Rather than things like walk 7,000,000 steps.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Does anyone know of a workaround fix for the religion tab crashing the game? I tried the beta patch but it's still broken, did some searching here and couldn't find anything either. (I'm on a mac if that makes a difference).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Personally I prefer when devs use achievements as messaging for "here's something you could try to do!" Rather than things like walk 7,000,000 steps.

CK2 has some good achievements and some real stinkers. Outside bet, Caliph Strikes back and the various challenge ones are cool, but there are way too many stupid stuff like "conquer britain as india" etc that would just be boring.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

But but but, that might mean adding more Africa to the Map and we can't have that, can we?

Well, if you look at Ethopian Empire, its nearly what is in the game. Also, its larger then HRE or Francia.

Hurf Durf Euro-centrist world view

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Who are you mocking.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Who are you mocking.

Paradox forums posters, I think. But there's not quite enough GORIOUS SERBJA for it to be authentic, I give it a 3/5

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I thought so too, but then I remember that mod that adds a billion provinces to Africa.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why is Basque in the same culture group as Visigothic?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Succession is going to be rough. There must be something I don't understand about Gavelkind, because that last son is getting two kingdoms, while everyone else(hooded son is a monk, not getting any) including my heir is getting only one. Shouldn't my heir be getting the second one?

hiandbaii
Jul 24, 2014

Swedish Horror posted:

Succession is going to be rough. There must be something I don't understand about Gavelkind, because that last son is getting two kingdoms, while everyone else(hooded son is a monk, not getting any) including my heir is getting only one. Shouldn't my heir be getting the second one?

Your main heir is getting an empire?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

do the indian religions spread as quickly as other organized faiths?

thinking of doing a tataria game and i dont want to stay tengri

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Whorelord posted:

do the indian religions spread as quickly as other organized faiths?

thinking of doing a tataria game and i dont want to stay tengri

As long you're not trying to convert other Indian religions, I think so.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unimpressed posted:

Does anyone know of a workaround fix for the religion tab crashing the game? I tried the beta patch but it's still broken, did some searching here and couldn't find anything either. (I'm on a mac if that makes a difference).

This was happening to me until I went into the steam game's properties and set Properties ---> Set Launch Options ---> add option: "-threads=1". Also, run vcredist.exe in your game's install folder as well.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

hiandbaii posted:

Your main heir is getting an empire?

My main heir is getting the empire, one kingdom, and a single lovely holding(Brienne). County distribution among heirs is really messed up in gavelkind. I guess the first son not getting two kingdoms if he's heir to an empire makes sense, but the county thing is either intentionally made to screw players over, or just badly designed.

hiandbaii
Jul 24, 2014

Swedish Horror posted:

My main heir is getting the empire, one kingdom, and a single lovely holding(Brienne). County distribution among heirs is really messed up in gavelkind. I guess the first son not getting two kingdoms if he's heir to an empire makes sense, but the county thing is either intentionally made to screw players over, or just badly designed.

yeah county distribution is weird... always feels like you're getting the short stick

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I really wish it would let you assign stuff, then have each heir assess whether they like what they got based on base tax of holdings, vassals etc, compared to other people and use that along with things like content/ambitious/envious to see whether they revolt against their siblings.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So are the new requirements for winning a war bugged or am I just not understanding them correctly? My current war, which has been going on for 6 years, is capped at 99% because it apparently hasn't been 36 months and I haven't won a major battle. Does this mean I have to do both of these things in order to win? Because I thought the devs explained it as you only had to fulfill the time or the battle requirement, not both. The guy I'm fighting doesn't have any levies because he's also involved in two other wars, so I don't see how I can even have a major battle.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Swedish Horror posted:

This is why if the religion allows concubines, I take that, and set them aside once they spit out an heir, as Gravelkind, stating that it splits the land up between the siblings seems to be more that it fucks up the player heir to get instantly game overed

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Is there a consensus on some good starting locations to make a tribal -> Republic game or do they all go to poo poo the moment you convert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I've played two Tribal->Republic games in Pictland and in neither case has losing the election been game over for me. So try that, I guess.

• Locked thread