Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Downercut posted:

I've never understood the big deal about "representation" in Smash Bros. Taking more characters from the same series doesn't have any effect on how they play in the game. Mewtwo is going to play differently than whoever else they add, or could add. I'm all for putting in characters from series that don't have as many, but the two aren't mutually exclusive unless we only get the one character, and I'll take the returning, unique fan favorite over fretting over the fact that his symbol will be a Poke Ball.
I can understand wishing that characters that you like got in over ones you didn't but going 'personally i believe 5.50 pokemon characters is ideal balance for the roster' is dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
How likely is it that the Ice Climbers will show up as DLC later on? Will the 3DS limitations still keep them out of play?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Sakurai, you just displayed Bowser Jr.'s reveal trailer on the stream for the whole world to see. He doesn't need to be in the Secrets section of the smashbros.com website.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
I wonder if it's not even just the 3DS that made them decide not to include the Ice Climbers, but eight player mode. I guess if it were only the latter, they could just disable them like they will most stages, but that'd blow.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SL the Pyro posted:

Sakurai, you just displayed Bowser Jr.'s reveal trailer on the stream for the whole world to see. He doesn't need to be in the Secrets section of the smashbros.com website.

Yeah especially since Lucina is not in the page and she a unlockable character.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You know how people say the Pichu from Melee evolved into the Pikachu from Brawl? They should bring back the Pikachu from Melee as a Raichu!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
There a compiled list of announcements yet? Can't watch the direct at the moment.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Rhonne posted:

You know how people say the Pichu from Melee evolved into the Pikachu from Brawl? They should bring back the Pikachu from Melee as a Raichu!

Pffft like Nintendo wants to acknowledge Raichu.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There a compiled list of announcements yet? Can't watch the direct at the moment.
I posted this mostly from memory earlier.

quote:

Mewtwo is being worked on and will be available in the spring. He's free if you own both versions of the game.
Stage builder lets you draw terrain freehand with the gamepad.
Online tournaments, same-console two-player online for team battles.
Eight player mode. Reduced stage count for this mode because most aren't big enough. There's a Big Battlefield for this mode (and maybe the rest?) Levels in 8P will have danger zones on the walls and ceilings and such that kill anyone over 100% that is knocked into them.
Amiibos are for white-rear end people.
:siren:THE SECOND BOMB IN TARGET SMASH ON WII U IS BIGGER THAN THE FIRST:siren:
Smash Tour is the board game mode. You play as a Mii, collect characters and Smash Run style power ups, and things happen on the board. It ends with a stock battle using the characters you collect.
The Bowser Jr./Koopalings trailer was shown, then it was revealed that all the character videos will be watchable in the game.
Classic mode works in some different way I didn't really follow. Master Fortress is an additional Master Core form on high difficulties, and is basically an entire Smash Run type stage from the look of it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Downercut posted:

I've never understood the big deal about "representation" in Smash Bros. Taking more characters from the same series doesn't have any effect on how they play in the game. Mewtwo is going to play differently than whoever else they add, or could add. I'm all for putting in characters from series that don't have as many, but the two aren't mutually exclusive unless we only get the one character, and I'll take the returning, unique fan favorite over fretting over the fact that his symbol will be a Poke Ball.

Because of an insidious train of thought that the characters are somehow competing for a limited number of slots and one being chosen means that they're somehow "stealing" it from whatever character or franchise the person prefers.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Cia after Mewtwo :pray:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

http://kotaku.com/53-things-we-just-learned-about-super-smash-bros-wii-u-1650062397

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Just came across it. Thanks though.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I simply don't understand how anyone can not like Morton.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
At least now that I've registered the 3DS versio on Club Nintendo, I can get the Wii U one and register IT and get the sweet soundtrack offer. Life is good.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Davinci posted:

it was kind of useless attack, when you have ultima why would you ever need to cast morton which hurts your party members as well, it could put you in a bad position when fighting the kefka statues

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Davinci posted:

Iggy/Larry/Lemmy are the worst, I still can't even remember which is which.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I'm feeling excited about the whole Divine Peanut Gallery commenting on the match to take the place of Snake's Codec's (unless he turns out to be one of the coming DLC characters).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sakurai please.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Geostomp posted:

I'm feeling excited about the whole Divine Peanut Gallery commenting on the match to take the place of Snake's Codec's (unless he turns out to be one of the coming DLC characters).

I was hoping for Doc Louis commentary, personally, but I guess it wouldn't really work if Mac doesn't talk back.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Geostomp posted:

If that happens, I can't help but feel that they would combine the two. Either in style (Have Pit and Palutena use codec for the conversation) or just have the KI:U and MGS characters in one conversation.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was hoping for Doc Louis commentary, personally, but I guess it wouldn't really work if Mac doesn't talk back.

He's an assist trophy though, which is pretty good

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Geostomp posted:

(unless he turns out to be one of the coming DLC characters).

he won't, sorry

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Hellioning posted:

If that happens, I can't help but feel that they would combine the two. Either in style (Have Pit and Palutena use codec for the conversation) or just have the KI:U and MGS characters in one conversation.

Both of these sound like excellent ideas. Doc Louis would probably be restricted to the WVBA stage, but still good.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Chrom shows up in that preview they showed, Doc might show up for the Little Mac conversation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sakurai please.

Haha I didn't even process this picture when it flashed by. I'm all about the new stuff you can do with screenshots and stuff

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Davinci posted:

I don't understand why people actually like the koopa kids, they were pretty lame boss fights in Mario Bros 3 and World and it sucked they were brought back all the time as bosses in the New Super Mario Bros series instead of those games actually getting original bosses.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
The Wii U menu is so beautiful holy hell.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Haha I didn't even process this picture when it flashed by. I'm all about the new stuff you can do with screenshots and stuff

I'm just waiting for the moment it gets shutdown like SwapNote. :smith:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I don't understand why people actually like the koopa kids, they were pretty lame boss fights in Mario Bros 3 and World and it sucked they were brought back all the time as bosses in the New Super Mario Bros series instead of those games actually getting original bosses.

Nostalgia's a seductive liar and the koopa kids were there in the early days. Besides, those New Super Mario Bros games are deliberate call backs and, for some reason, absolutely huge in Japan.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sakurai please.

Hey that version of Link is the one they showed off on the faceplates stuff. Hopefully it's recurring.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Chronojam posted:

Hey that version of Link is the one they showed off on the faceplates stuff. Hopefully it's recurring.

And Kirby Pyamu Pyamu! :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Geostomp posted:

Nostalgia's a seductive liar and the koopa kids were there in the early days. Besides, those New Super Mario Bros games are deliberate call backs and, for some reason, absolutely huge in Japan.

NSMB is huge everywhere.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

This owns

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

NSMB is huge everywhere.

Next you're gonna tell me Pokemon is popular. :rolleyes:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They were brought back for nostalgia's sake, but Nintendo also went to the extra effort of updating their designs, and giving each one their own personality. I mean granted they're not having full scenes showing how robust their characterization is, but at this point they're popular not JUST because of nostalgia. It's cool that Nintendo gave them each some kind of personality. It's something they try to do with a lot of their Mario characters, even minor ones.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

NSMB is huge everywhere.

True, but from what I understand, they're even moreso in Japan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chronojam posted:

If he's just drawing the costumes over the screenshots it means they won't be adding them to the actual game, which is bad news. Dad Bowser would be eternal.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blatant Zelda favoritism in full effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If he's just drawing the costumes over the screenshots it means they won't be adding them to the actual game, which is bad news. Dad Bowser would be eternal.

However they are going to do dlc next year.

• Locked thread