Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't been downtown during the day in a long time, does Chris Riley still use that blue and green Austin skyline picture in his signs? A friend of mine designed that for his campaign. It was cool seeing her work all over town last election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That one?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Is Anne Kitchen really WASPy or what?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Is Anne Kitchen really WASPy or what?

She's a white person running for Austin city council so I'm going to guess yes.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
nix. I'll be back with more productive commentary later.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 22, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Woo! Went and voted today.

I'll admit I'm a Democratic version of a low-information voting goon so I mostly voted D when it was available, and G when it wasn't because gently caress if I'm giving the Libertarians or Republicans any votes that I can avoid. But, yeah, was glad to vote for Van dePutte and Davis.

True, Davis is a rather milquetoast dem, but she's miles better than Abbot. A sack of flour would legitimately be better than Abbot.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Alkydere posted:

Woo! Went and voted today.

I'll admit I'm a Democratic version of a low-information voting goon so I mostly voted D when it was available, and G when it wasn't because gently caress if I'm giving the Libertarians or Republicans any votes that I can avoid. But, yeah, was glad to vote for Van dePutte and Davis.

True, Davis is a rather milquetoast dem, but she's miles better than Abbot. A sack of flour would legitimately be better than Abbot.
Oh hey, hello person who is literally me.:hfive:

Like you, I have also done what the OP and the thread title wants, I have got out and voted.:toot:

Also, policywise I voted yes on Amendment 1, for pretty much exactly Tatum Girlparts's reasoning:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm for it. It's not enough and yea in a perfect world I'd love the rainy day fund to be used for slightly more pressing issues like education but we do objectively need more money in infrastructure and I'd rather have something than nothing. It's a typical Texas proposal, we'll throw some money at it but not enough so we can huff and puff about how the gaddang gubmint can't do nothin right, but it's better than voting no which would result in absolutely nothing.
Agreed, ideally I'd like more spent and to more places (education), but the alternative is just letting the rainy day fund sit there and do nothing (like it has been for years) so gently caress it, whatever helps. Infrastructure is good, roads are good, and maybe we can start tapping the rainy day fund for more stuff once we break the ice on using it the first time.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 23, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Someone from Downtown Austin Alliance came to my class today, are they really going to sink I-35 from 12th to Cesar Chavez? That's crazy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Someone from Downtown Austin Alliance came to my class today, are they really going to sink I-35 from 12th to Cesar Chavez? That's crazy.

As in destroy that section of interstate?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

They've been talking about that for as long as I've lived here, so 15 years.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

They've been talking about that for as long as I've lived here, so 15 years.

Well, there's a video of TxDOT's current "plan" here: http://kutradio.tumblr.com/post/87728560966/txdot-backs-plans-to-bury-i-35-just-dont-hold

There's money for that plan here:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, there's a video of TxDOT's current "plan" here: http://kutradio.tumblr.com/post/87728560966/txdot-backs-plans-to-bury-i-35-just-dont-hold

There's money for that plan here:

They'll figure out a way to make this Austin's Big Dig.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nonsense posted:

They'll figure out a way to make this Austin's Big Dig.

The Big Dig at least had a point to it. This, not really so much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The I35 split is a horrendous abomination that turns every exit on the lower deck into a concrete gauntlet but I get a rash thinking about how bad a five year construction project on all of the downtown stretch would be.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This thread must survive until dedication.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

The Big Dig at least had a point to it. This, not really so much.

Its the final step in gentrifying the east side.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

The I35 split is a horrendous abomination that turns every exit on the lower deck into a concrete gauntlet but I get a rash thinking about how bad a five year construction project on all of the downtown stretch would be.

I love it. It would actually be a good idea if they did it, but the whining would be amazing.

Trabisnikof posted:

Its the final step in gentrifying the east side.

We actually asked him about gentrification and his response was "hey at least they get a good price when they sell and move out!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

You just need to tie in into graft to get it approved. Redirect through traffic onto 130, have the state pay the tolls to provide returns for the Perry sweetheart deals which haven't gone as well as they hoped.

It is insane just how much better Austin's traffic situation would be had we started working on things 15 years ago.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

We actually asked him about gentrification and his response was "hey at least they get a good price when they sell and move out!"

:stare: I.......that's one of the most sleaziest things you can say holy poo poo. gently caress that guy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jiro posted:

:stare: I.......that's one of the most sleaziest things you can say holy poo poo. gently caress that guy.

I had a person trying to push a petition to overturn Austin's ban on digital billboards by straight up lying to me and saying it was to upgrade the amber alert signs on the highway.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I had a person trying to push a petition to overturn Austin's ban on digital billboards by straight up lying to me and saying it was to upgrade the amber alert signs on the highway.

Any chance this was at the early voting location in Pflugerville? 'Cause I got this pitch there.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

It is insane just how much better Austin's traffic situation would be had we started working on things 15 years ago.

Yes, but 15 years ago the old-guard hippies were still largely convinced that if we didn't actually build any infrastructure, it would prevent people from moving here (and they could continue to live in their central-city rentals for $400 a month).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

e_angst posted:

Yes, but 15 years ago the old-guard hippies were still largely convinced that if we didn't actually build any infrastructure, it would prevent people from moving here (and they could continue to live in their central-city rentals for $400 a month).

The 2000 rail measure failed because the suburbs didn't want to pay for a train that didn't go to their community not because of old guard hippies in the core.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

~My wife~ and I just early voted, +2 straight Democrat plus a handful of Greens where there weren't any Ds running. :toot:

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Louie Gohmert, ladies and gentlemen:

quote:

I’ve had people say, “Hey, you know, there’s nothing wrong with gays in the military. Look at the Greeks.” Well, you know, they did have people come along who they loved that was the same sex and would give them massages before they went into battle. But you know what, it’s a different kind of fighting, it’s a different kind of war and if you’re sitting around getting massages all day ready to go into a big, planned battle, then you’re not going to last very long. It’s guerrilla fighting. You are going to be ultimately vulnerable to terrorism and if that’s what you start doing in the military like the Greeks did … as people have said, “Louie, you have got to understand, you don’t even know your history.’ Oh yes I do. I know exactly. It’s not a good idea.”

:beck:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Before I voted today I saw a pigeon with a broken wing sitting under a car waiting for the end. Probably an accurate omen for how the election will turn out :(

Harris County goons please vote for Kim Ogg for district attorney thank you in advance.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

The 2000 rail measure failed because the suburbs didn't want to pay for a train that didn't go to their community not because of old guard hippies in the core.

And that's why this one will fail too. Everyone I've talked to has given me the, "it doesn't help me and my taxes are already too high" bullshit. Literally cannot see past their own existence to see how a boon to one community is a boon to the entire city.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rabble posted:

And that's why this one will fail too. Everyone I've talked to has given me the, "it doesn't help me and my taxes are already too high" bullshit. Literally cannot see past their own existence to see how a boon to one community is a boon to the entire city.

I've heard a lot more "it's not the right route!!!!!!!!" people than that, but I also don't know many people not associated with the university.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

Also there was that guy with a store on the drag that plowed a ton of money into whipping up opposition because he thought the construction would ruin his business or whatever. Which I will note is out of business now.

Speaking of, I'd love to know who is behind OurRail and the Central Austin Community Development Corporation. There's one guy who is director at both and I think he lives near 38th and Speedway (which gives him a reason to care that Guad/Lamar got shot down I guess) but he can't be the sole source of funding.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Thanks to this thread for reminding me to vote today

For Abbot :twisted: Even I couldn't bring myself to vote for Dan Patrick though; I just left it blank. gently caress that guy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Frackie Robinson posted:

Thanks to this thread for reminding me to vote today

For Abbot :twisted: Even I couldn't bring myself to vote for Dan Patrick though; I just left it blank. gently caress that guy.
My friends are all in the Wendy Davis bubble but I've got this nagging feeling she's gonna tank a lot harder than they expect. I'm usually wrong though.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And I would say there's a couple of reasons why that might happen. One is that this could be a Republican swing year nationally. Though, to be sure, a national swing doesn't necessarily translate to Texas. The other is bad polling numbers for Davis. But again, the polls could be wrong. The other is that while Davis has motivated progressives, or so it seems, she's also motivated conservatives to turn out against her, which could negate Battleground Texas' targeted voter registration drives. There's voter ID.

Republicans also do better in midterms, and I feel there's a sense in the public right now that the world is falling apart, with Ebola and crises in the Middle East. There's a pessimistic mood, and Republicans might do better when people are fearful. The Davis campaign has this sweaty desperation to it. Davis also struggled to connect in the RGV during the primary, and some of the (again, fishy) polling suggests Abbott is nearly tied with Davis among Hispanic voters. And Abbott has played heavily on Spanish language ads. The true-blue Anglo Democrats I know take Hispanics waaaay too for granted in this state. They don't personally know any devout Catholics so they may as well be from Mars, but there's legions of them. But I have no idea how the result will turn out.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 25, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Omi-Polari posted:

My friends are all in the Wendy Davis bubble but I've got this nagging feeling she's gonna tank a lot harder than they expect. I'm usually wrong though.

There is absolutely no chance Wendy Davis can win. She has a lot of media buzz but the state is still far too red, and her campaign is far too inept to capture upon the momentum. Polls show her well, well behind.

Let's just hope higher registration/awareness helps in the future. I can't speak to their effectiveness in hispanic communities (where they're needed most), but a lot more students are registered/interested because of her campaign.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swan Oat posted:

Before I voted today I saw a pigeon with a broken wing sitting under a car waiting for the end. Probably an accurate omen for how the election will turn out :(

Harris County goons please vote for Kim Ogg for district attorney thank you in advance.

Is there any reason I should care about Ogg other than her not being a drone to Lycoss? In her debate she seemed pretty terrible in her own unique way of milquetoast bullshit ex republican red state democrat still regressive but she likes weed so she tricks dumb libertarians crap.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

I love that you seem to recognize Dan Patrick is a crazy person yet you somehow can't bring yourself to vote for the obviously better candidate :freep:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 26, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I love the you seem to recognize Dan Patrick is a crazy person yet you somehow can't brimg yourself to vote for the obviously better candidate :freep

Frackie Robinson's an Aggie - what do you expect?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

Frackie Robinson's an Aggie - what do you expect?

I'm an Aggie :mad:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

VitalSigns posted:

I love that you seem to recognize Dan Patrick is a crazy person yet you somehow can't brimg yourself to vote for the obviously better candidate :freep

Come on, I basically cast 1/2 of a vote for her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ReidRansom posted:

Condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted: