Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

Sorry to whoever was speculating phantom limbs earlier, none of those here :v:
I choose to ignore this and pretend they can't say that one of their villains went through the trauma have having her loving arms cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
According to the discussion, Vaatu's still too weak to be doing any harm at this point, though they did mention that Vaatu would probably be giving whoever's Avatar in 10,000 years a lot of trouble. They also went into more detail about Amon's motivations and what happened to the Equalists, though they pretty much confirmed what we all guessed. Izumi's mother is "?????" and apparently we will be hearing more from her (Izumi, not the mom). They also confirmed there will be no more shows in this universe for a while because they want to move on to other things.

I'm curious as to how they picked the questions they wanted to answer. Most of the ones they answered were pretty bland and many had been asked before in other interviews.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Jackard posted:

Sorry to whoever was speculating phantom limbs earlier, none of those here :v:

I remember reading some article somewhere that even children born without limbs have some phantom limb effect, although I can't find the link anymore so maybe I'm misremembering.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Weekly reminder that the new episode is now up on Amazon~

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Ming Hua was the coolest character design the series has ever had

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I never would've thought that Ikki will be playing a straight man part.
A good episode, even though it made me hungry.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ha, a Bull-Frog.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The Melon Lord really does tell the best stories.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I didn't notice it earlier because he didn't have many lines but the voice actor for the little airbender sibling boy is really stilted and bad

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I didn't notice it earlier because he didn't have many lines but the voice actor for the little airbender sibling boy is really stilted and bad

Well, he was cast when he was five. Child actors tend to be a toss-up. I've had on and off issues with Kiernan Shipka myself.

Episode is up on the main site.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Whoever decided it was better to get real kids instead of middle aged women with weird voices to make cartoons should get fired

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Well, I can see off the bat that the two guards aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer; and yet, neither is Ikki.

When she's tied to the chair, she can free her arm to rub her nose, then puts it right back

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

drat, just on the last few episodes of Book 3 and it's insanely good. How did they make this when Season 1+2 were more or less dreadful? Something must of changed.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Samovar posted:

Well, I can see off the bat that the two guards aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer; and yet, neither is Ikki.

When she's tied to the chair, she can free her arm to rub her nose, then puts it right back

She was loving with the guards the entire time out of a combination of boredom and to see if they knew anything.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Looks like Zaofu's the last holdout. Kuvira really got through that last 10% of the Earth Kingdom quickly. Wonder if this is going to be what makes Bolin snap.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

She was loving with the guards the entire time out of a combination of boredom and to see if they knew anything.

Her grandfather did the same thing in the original series a few times. I don't know why people even try with airbenders in this universe.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
TOPH'S THE BEST :allears:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

TOPH'S THE BEST :allears:

This series should've just been Legend of Toph.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That was a very funny episode, and very close in tone to ATLA.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Ok this opening with the idiot crew is painful to watch. Meelo is probably the worst character across both series.

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 24, 2014

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

Ok this opening with the idiot crew is painful to watch. Milo is probably the worst character across both series.

Meelo's best in small doses. This was not a small dose. Seriously? We're fartbending vines now?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Sato posted:

Meelo's best in small doses. This was not a small dose. Seriously? We're fartbending vines now?

Honestly this whole episode was Bolin-whistling levels of painful. Bad line reads from all three of the kids ("Once we're further outillbeableto hone in on her spiritual energy"), bad resolution - Korra touched a tree and just *bam* connected, and the ending where the three of them each realized their siblings were right all along~~* is so trite.

Funny my rear end, this episode was terrrible.

The very last scene was very well done though. Mostly because the kids were quiet and we actually focused on the plot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm about four minutes into this and I want to stop.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
gently caress this episode.

Holy poo poo this is terrible.

I hope the Earth Empire murders all three of these god drat rugrats.

This is literally the worst episode of any Avatar-related anything ever, not counting the movie.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

They needed to reverse the ratio of Toph & Korra to the Kids in this episode.

Korra's thing just felt rushed. :( Toph just goes "they weren't balanced!" and bam Korra gets it, even though it never feels like she really does.

I can definitely see the parts of a good episode in there, but it just didn't flow well.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Also, totally loving called the Dagobah thing. Not that it wasn't telegraphed to hell.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I want to smack Meelo across the face.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Does anyone actually like Meelo, Ikki, Jinora, or Kai? Anyone? At least Kai's balls dropped, but his VA is still terrible.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Yeah, I agree with the Meelo being really grating. They could have cut like 2 of his scenes and included more Swamp time. Though I was amused by seeing how he instinctively does fartbending now; partly because the show wasn't all "oohhhh look at this thing Meelo is doing."

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

So I see it's a very polarizing episode. I understand where people are coming from, but I wasn't bothered by it.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I couldn't even watch through the kid sections, I found myself fast forwarding. If I had been writing this, here's what would have happened:

-Korra does Dagobah training with Toph/Yoda
-Korra learns allllll about balance and poo poo, cool stories from Toph's avatar days
-Korra and Toph grow closer and Toph softens up towards Korra
-Optional: maybe Kora finds a cool swampbender dude or something I dunno and learns some bending tricks from him, like how to make a vine golem like in AtLA
-Korra eventually does THE CAVE where she fights DARK KORRA and overcomes her FEARS
-Connects with the tree and sees Kuvira's armies marching on Zaofu (aka BESPIN)
-In a dramatic scene, she removes the metal from her own body and SETS OFF TO SAVE THE DAY

Slight variation from star wars: Toph doesn't discourage Korra from going

This is what I expected to happen, and while I am of course OK with it not playing out like this, the whole kid-search-and-rescue routine was just painful to watch.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wellp, now that Korra's all fixed and balanced, it's time for her to return, beat up Kuvira, install Wu as God-Emperor, and bring on 10,000 years of prosperity! :haw:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wellp, now that Korra's all fixed and balanced, it's time for her to return, beat up Kuvira, install Wu as God-Emperor, and bring on 10,000 years of prosperity! :haw:

He sacrifices his humanity by combining with a sandworm spirit from the desert, and with his prescient powers guides fashion trends for all of mankind

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Now mind, I haven't seen the episode yet. But would you say that you haven't seen child acting this bad since the Avatar movie?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Jackard, just skip this episode. Major plot points:

Earth Empire is going to attack Zaofu (lol like that was ever in doubt) and Korra gets collected by the kids to return to Tenzin but still has the metal and poo poo in her.

Now save yourself 20 minutes of pain.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Major plot points.The swamp is still a dick to Bison. Toph tells the best stories.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Hauldren Collider posted:

Does anyone actually like Meelo, Ikki, Jinora, or Kai? Anyone? At least Kai's balls dropped, but his VA is still terrible.

I liked Jinora a lot in season 1 but she got more grating as they emphasized her connection with spirits. I find Ikki most tolerable now, especially since she seems to be the sane(ish) one now. Kai was fine in episode 1 of this season but we'll see what more screentime does to his likability.

Kazy posted:

They needed to reverse the ratio of Toph & Korra to the Kids in this episode.

Korra's thing just felt rushed. :( Toph just goes "they weren't balanced!" and bam Korra gets it, even though it never feels like she really does.

I can definitely see the parts of a good episode in there, but it just didn't flow well.

Yup, completely agree. You know what it reminded me of? The later Peanuts holiday specials where they cram jokes and random scenes in to disguise the fact that they need to fill up airtime somehow. Meelo is Rerun, people.

He sacrifices his humanity by combining with a sandworm spirit from the desert, and with his prescient powers guides fashion trends for all of mankind

Shut it down, folks, we have the perfect series ending.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Earth Empire is going to attack Zaofu (lol like that was ever in doubt) and Korra gets collected by the kids to return to Tenzin but still has the metal and poo poo in her.

Actually she doesn't have the metal in her anymore; did you watch the ending sequence? She got it out.

I didn't think Jinora or Ikki were that bad (but then I've also never really had a problem with Kai) but man Meelo is just not likable at all. I think his VA has a lot to do with it; the kid is just grating.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I guess Bolin did draw those stick figures and not Meelo, confirming he is a still a manchild.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Alternatively, watch it and experience 20 minutes of bij. :gowron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

I guess Bolin did draw those stick figures and not Meelo, confirming he is a still a manchild.

Or he was three years ago, when the pictures were drawn. From what we've seen he seems to have matured to the level of season 1 Bolin.

Alternate ending: It turns out this was an animated series/comic drawn and produced by Meelo all along.

• Locked thread