Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Dark doesn't come close. It was a disturbing, hellish ride from beginning to end.

imprisoned their queens under torturous conditions such that the only two things they could do were make babies or dies

Most likely Maria got the same treatment. The episode with the queen is much more disturbing on a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I'm looking for something relatively new to binge watch while I wait for new episodes to come out on current series.

I'm currently watching SAO, Fate/Stay Night, Log Horizon, Nobunaga Concerto, and Akame ga Kill!. I've tried watching Black Bullet, Aldnoah Zero, kill la kill, and persona 4, but I couldn't get into them. In the past, I've enjoyed My Hime, FMA/Brotherhood, Btooom!, Attack on Titan, and Brynnhldr in the Darkness.

Any recommendations? The only caveat is that it needs to be on CR

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

abaddonis posted:

I'm looking for something relatively new to binge watch while I wait for new episodes to come out on current series.

I'm currently watching SAO, Fate/Stay Night, Log Horizon, Nobunaga Concerto, and Akame ga Kill!. I've tried watching Black Bullet, Aldnoah Zero, kill la kill, and persona 4, but I couldn't get into them. In the past, I've enjoyed My Hime, FMA/Brotherhood, Btooom!, Attack on Titan, and Brynnhldr in the Darkness.

Any recommendations? The only caveat is that it needs to be on CR

If you haven't already, there's always Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Additionally, you can marathon through Hunter x Hunter as well since that just finished.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Is Black Lagoon on crunchyroll? That's always a fun ride.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Brainamp posted:

Not that I recall

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's on Hulu.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Brainamp posted:

I actually found that I didn't like it that much. There were a few amazing episodes sprinkled, but most of them were early on. I've heard it thrown around that the dub is actually super good and improves the whole show. I could see how that may be possible since there's an awful lot of incomprehensible engrish in the Japanese.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The dub is, in fact, excellent, yes.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Maryke Hendrikse is the greatest crazy person as Revy and Brad Swaile just sells the despondent Japanese businessman act perfectly. I laughed in my friend's face when she said that the dub was garbage. Granted, she also called FMP's dub garbage, particularly Monica Rial as Kyoko.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kubla Khan posted:

Help me out! I'd like to watch something funny/cute, along the lines of Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou.

The emphasis is on funny, though.

Sabagebu! is a really fun/funny almost slice of life thing. I went in expecting not much, and had a blast. I laughed quite a bit. The narrator is a funny guy, too.

goodness posted:

Any supernatural investigation series that are pretty good?

Ghost Hunt was really pretty good.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
+1 for Sabagebu though towards the end it kinda started sucking. All the Urara/Momoka masochist scenes were pretty hilarious though, love the one with fat Momoka smashing Urara

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Besides Legend of Galactic Heroes, is there any anime or manga out there that is recommendable for someone who loved House of Cards?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Besides Legend of Galactic Heroes, is there any anime or manga out there that is recommendable for someone who loved House of Cards?

I watched House of Cards and Death Note (conveniently also on Netflix) back-to-back a while ago. They have similar overt themes, even if the latter comes with supernatural aspects and is more blatant about the murder. Like House of Cards, Death Note is a series centering around the elaborate machinations of the manipulative villain protagonist. I do think it works a bit better in Death Note, because the protagonist doesn't have quite as high of a success rate as Underwood mainly due to the presence of an effective foil, so there's an ongoing volley of increasingly complicated plans. The protagonist is also a more dynamic character than Underwood since he does start out as a high school student, and the character transformation into sociopathy is a pretty wild ride.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Code Geass follows somewhat similar themes as Death Note in that whether ends justify the means, it just has a slight problem in the first and second acts of the second season. Personally I like it, but there's a lot of weird stuff in there to get past. Also Lelouch and Suzaku are considerably more sympathetic protagonists than Light ever could be.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does Death Note have a dub that's at all decent?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Does Death Note have a dub that's at all decent?

It's actually one of the better ones out there, Light and L both have some of the best performances in dubs overall. I think the only one who's close to average is maybe Mello, but I didn't really like that guy in the first place so I may be a bit biased.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ah man, I've read Death Note already (though I kind of lost track of it after L died) and just a few months ago I binge-watched Code Geass with a friend of mine. Death Note was really engrossing, seeing the intricate plans and all, but I found Code Geass rather too melodramatic and hammy at times.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kubla Khan posted:

Help me out! I'd like to watch something funny/cute, along the lines of Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou.

The emphasis is on funny, though.

Watch K-ON

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DrSunshine posted:

Ah man, I've read Death Note already (though I kind of lost track of it after L died) and just a few months ago I binge-watched Code Geass with a friend of mine. Death Note was really engrossing, seeing the intricate plans and all, but I found Code Geass rather too melodramatic and hammy at times.

If you read Death Note and didn't watch the anime you wouldn't realise how hilarious this sounds :v:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

If you read Death Note and didn't watch the anime you wouldn't realise how hilarious this sounds :v:

Yeah no poo poo, that was a brow raiser.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you're looking for maximum mind games, look no further than Liar Game (the manga; no anime, and there's a live action show but idk if its good). I haven't watched House of Cards so idk what exactly you're looking for, but it's a more down to earth version of Death Note's mind games.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

You should watch it anyway, since the anime's way better. The anime added a few scenes that were really good and the pacing in the back third isn't agonizingly slow because the authors wanted more chapters than they had story to tell.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Strange Quark posted:

You should watch it anyway, since the anime's way better. The anime added a few scenes that were really good and the pacing in the back third isn't agonizingly slow because the authors wanted more chapters than they had story to tell.

On the other hand, everything after the L twist is still garbage in comparison to what came before it.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Read Sanctuary. It's about two friends trying to transform Japan into their very own sanctuary. One becomes a yakuza, and the other a politician, and the manga follows them as they try to reform both the underworld and the government of Japan. It's written by Buronson and illustrated by Ryoichi Ikegami, so it's pretty good poo poo. This was a really lovely summary or whatever but trust me, if you liked house of cards you'll probably like this.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kokoro Wish posted:

On the other hand, everything after the L twist is still garbage in comparison to what came before it.

Excuse you. (ending spoilers)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Read Sanctuary. It's about two friends trying to transform Japan into their very own sanctuary. One becomes a yakuza, and the other a politician, and the manga follows them as they try to reform both the underworld and the government of Japan. It's written by Buronson and illustrated by Ryoichi Ikegami, so it's pretty good poo poo. This was a really lovely summary or whatever but trust me, if you liked house of cards you'll probably like this.

Thanks, I'll take a look at this! Ikegami is a great artist, one of the classics.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

If you're looking for maximum mind games, look no further than Liar Game (the manga; no anime, and there's a live action show but idk if its good). I haven't watched House of Cards so idk what exactly you're looking for, but it's a more down to earth version of Death Note's mind games.

The live action series is pretty good and worth a look.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Finished the Aoi Hana manga.

...ehhhhhh. I was a bit disappointed, honestly. The manga just seemed...unfocused. Like, Akira and Fumi had good chemistry pretty much up until they actually started dating, and we keep sort of ping-ponging between them and a bunch of side-characters who just...didn't do much for me, and it felt like the second and third year just went by way too fast for how little happened with the relationships, and then after chapters and chapters of Akira waffling over "Am I into this or not," we get the huge downer of her breaking up with Fumi, only for the next and final chapter to go "...aaaah, nevermind, I didn't like that plot-point," and put them back together without really earning it. Maybe I just binged it too quickly, but the pacing just felt really off and it didn't have nearly as many :unsmith: moments as I was hoping for - which is a shame, because I really like the Fumi and Akira as a couple in theory, when one side or other isn't completely paralyzed by awkwardness/shyness, but it turns out that "one side or the other is paralyzed by shyness or awkwardness" pretty much sums up the whole drat thing. Like...it felt like it was a romance that never actually convinced me that both sides of the primary couple were unreservedly into each other. And that's a shame. :smith:

So, with that said, which of Sasameki Koto or Girl Friends (or something else entirely) is a better source for warm fuzzies?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 24, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah something happened with the ending to that. I don't know what but it was paced and handled weirdly

i think sasameki koto is the better work but girlfriends is more fluffy or whatnot if that's your speed

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

yeah something happened with the ending to that. I don't know what but it was paced and handled weirdly

It really suffers from the same problem as the anime in that there's no drat catharsis. The anime didn't give any catharsis because it ended before the actual relationship even started, and the manga doesn't give any catharsis because, even though Fumi and Akira actually have some romantic scenes, they're all blunted and really unsatisfying because the story goes to great pains to let us know how incredibly uncomfortable they're making Akira.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 24, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I enjoyed both it and Girl Friends, but I think Sasameki Koto suffers from some of the same problems as Aoi Hana, mostly along the spends-maybe-a-little-more-time-than-it-should-have-on-some-of-the-side-characters lines. The ending, at the very least, was a lot nicer than Aoi Hana's. That part, if nothing else, should give you some decent warm fuzzies.

Edit: Oh, and, like the others, I'd agreed Sasameki Koto is the stronger of those two.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 24, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She ended Aoi Hana and her other big series Wandering Son at roughly the same time, both felt pretty rushed (Aoi Hana moreso), I don't know if something happened to cancel them or what. Aoi Hana could definitely have used another chapter at the very least.

If you just want warm and fuzzy yuri, grab a copy of Girl Friends and maybe also Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry-blossom Pink by the same author. Sasameki Koto is overall a stronger work, but it wobbles between too silly and serious and has some moderately frustrating digressions into karate tournaments and stuff.

Also, volume 2 of Sasameki Koto is out this week and in the mail, hooray for pre-ordering.

edit: maybe I'll find a few more typos, that would be cool.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 24, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Girlfriends if you want warm fuzzies, Sasameki Koto or Octave if you want a proper story that can occasionally be annoying.

Also try 'The Flower and the Star', it's about a girl who loves table tennis until she gets knocked out of a tournament by a nobody and gives up, then she meets the girl who knocked her out again in high school. It's equal measures fuzzy and hilarious.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 24, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Poor Poor Lips is another good yuri one that I recommend. Its a 4-koma about a really poor girl who gets a job at a jewelry store run by an openly lesbian woman.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The single downside to poor poor lips is the moeblob main character. The series is already cutesy enough that I don't know why they went even further with the poor girl.

That said, it's really good especially for a fairly plot-heavy 4koma.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Wow that sounds right up my alley.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I just finished watching toradora and man, if there's one egregious thing that was wrong with that show it was near the end where Takasu
gets mad and says some Real poo poo to his mom. I thought that was kind of hosed up considering how much right she did by him despite the way her life kind of unfolded. And he never really ever said sorry either!

Whatevs though, the show was pretty meh overall

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Besides the part where one of the characters literally beat the poo poo out of one of her love rivals, which was interesting with how kind of hosed up it was, I never understood why people gave Toradora the time of day.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nate RFB posted:

Besides the part where one of the characters literally beat the poo poo out of one of her love rivals, which was interesting with how kind of hosed up it was, I never understood why people gave Toradora the time of day.

Haha yeah the cat fights were pretty hilarious and made it somewhat worth the time sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
A teenager said bad things to his mom and another teenager got in a fight? :captainpop:

It's kinda ridiculous sometimes but the writing is decent, and it's the best rom com anime I've seen. It manages to be funny without just being fluff. I've enjoyed other romantic comedies like Lovely Complex, Nodame Cantabile and I even kinda enjoyed Kimi ni Todoke, but those things are just 100% pure unadulterated fluff.

• Locked thread