Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Who are you mocking.
The people that hemmed both African nations in with huge muslim nations with one having the worst mechanics in the game and the other a sad outside bet that usually amounts to nothing, that has the dull parts of the Byzantines with none of the perks.

Literally never seen Mali or Ethiopia do dick without player intervention. And the fact that Ethiopian Empire requires you to trigger jihads to form as does the West African third holy site is just mean.

I guess the new Nubian retinue is ok with all of them being made worse? Although they don't have longbow volley they still get the 240% generic one.

Excelzior posted:

Is there a consensus on some good starting locations to make a tribal -> Republic game or do they all go to poo poo the moment you convert?
Tutorial Island is your best bet probably. Or I guess you could try Iceland. The Canaries are also in an interesting position and you probably won't be attacked by anyone. Maybe.

Whorelord posted:

do the indian religions spread as quickly as other organized faiths?

thinking of doing a tataria game and i dont want to stay tengri
Yea they spread fine over non-Indians, had a few fun runs into Arabia with them and it worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Does the pope need to be independent for Crusades to fire, or do I need to be Catholic to get the notification that they are active? It's early 12th century, Islam has Jerusalem and no Crusades. I'm Jewish Ethiopia and I want to have my crack at the Fatmids.

hiandbaii
Jul 24, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Does the pope need to be independent for Crusades to fire, or do I need to be Catholic to get the notification that they are active? It's early 12th century, Islam has Jerusalem and no Crusades. I'm Jewish Ethiopia and I want to have my crack at the Fatmids.

don't think so. do you mean the event for saying the age of the crusades has come or an actual crusade

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

hiandbaii posted:

don't think so. do you mean the event for saying the age of the crusades has come or an actual crusade

Ya, the event saying the crusades have come. I thought everyone got that event, but I can;t find it in the event files.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Has anyone gotten the EU4 export to work since Charlemagne?

hiandbaii
Jul 24, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ya, the event saying the crusades have come. I thought everyone got that event, but I can;t find it in the event files.

I remember getting that event as norse. I assume everyone else gets it

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

hiandbaii posted:

I remember getting that event as norse. I assume everyone else gets it
I've gotten it as Ethiopia, but usually when the Christians lose Santiago.

Speaking of poo poo triggering, what is the trigger for the Zun holy order? Just reformed and it doesn't seem to be appearing? Was looking forward to loving over the Indians with it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Does anyone know where the crusade events are. The actual crusade events file is just for characters that are already on crusade.

edit: it's in religious events.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 24, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Soo, I haven't heard anyone talk about the custom kingdom aspect of the game. It's really poo poo as far as I can tell. I'm certain I read somewhere that you could choose the flag etc and I was expecting you could choose colour as well, but it's literally just an upgrade of your primary duchy that resets all of your inheritance laws. Sorry son, now that I have a gold circle floating around my head I HAVE to split everything between your 12 brothers now. But hey. Look on the brightside, I have one more demesne slot.
Also thanks to this you can now become the leader of the might Mumu Empire.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So, I'm fighting the Fatmids, and they hired every merc in existence to beat me, except now they're bankrupt and the mercs are still serving them while they bleed 30 ducats a month.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Swedish Horror posted:

Succession is going to be rough. There must be something I don't understand about Gavelkind, because that last son is getting two kingdoms, while everyone else(hooded son is a monk, not getting any) including my heir is getting only one. Shouldn't my heir be getting the second one?

This reply is to you as well as others that are commenting about Gavelkind being terrible. It is. You can game it. Dont like the way the game is divvying out your counties? Then give your non-heirs land before you die. If you are going to lose almost everything anyway, at least give away want you least mind losing. I have kept 1 kingdom 2 duchies and 7 counties for my primary heir by giving each other son 3 counties and a duchy by choice. I made sure to tutor them myself or had them tutored to be Stewardship-trained so I could make sure they had enough stewardship to own 3 counties without needing to give one away. This worked for me for 200 years playing a game as Lithuania. I kept son counts somewhat low by marrying older women with good stats and then grabbing concubines if I wasnt having any kids before the wife got too old. I had to conquer new land to give away, of course, but if you are a huge blob that is not hard. It is also not hard if you are marrying people with claims.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
How do I stop the councilor's popups when they improve relations or increase reinforcement rates? I don't see it in message settings.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Gavelkind has been very odd for me since Charlemagne was released. Like I had 3 sons, all perfectly eligible for inheriting everything with my firstborn as heir. When I died, the Empire and a Kingdom went to my second son and the third son received the rest and my first son received nothing.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

How do I stop the councilor's popups when they improve relations or increase reinforcement rates? I don't see it in message settings.

There should be a button in the bottom right corner of the popup to change its settings.

Zeron posted:

Gavelkind has been very odd for me since Charlemagne was released. Like I had 3 sons, all perfectly eligible for inheriting everything with my firstborn as heir. When I died, the Empire and a Kingdom went to my second son and the third son received the rest and my first son received nothing.

I played a game earlier where I had 4 sons and 3 counties (no duchy). When I conquered that 3rd county, my second son became my new primary heir, even though the eldest son was still inheriting my current capital/primary title.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

KOraithER posted:

I played a game earlier where I had 4 sons and 3 counties (no duchy). When I conquered that 3rd county, my second son became my new primary heir, even though the eldest son was still inheriting my current capital/primary title.
I played a game where I was in control of nine counties and for some reason Gavelkind decided to give seven of nine to the second and third son even though son #3 already had his own lands. It's kind of hosed up.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

KOraithER posted:

There should be a button in the bottom right corner of the popup to change its settings.

There isn't it's just the scroll.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Is it just me or is it too easy to bribe other leaders to get them out of honoring an alliance with an opponent when you go to war? Maybe there should be some kind of mechanism where you can only find out foreign alliances and opinions of other leaders if you set up a spy network in the target county. As it stands now, if I want to conquer a county I can click on the leaderhead, see who his allies are, and just give them some money, which in most cases is enough to keep them from fighting against me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zeron posted:

KOraithER posted:

Crazy Ted posted:

I played a game where I was in control of nine counties and for some reason Gavelkind decided to give seven of nine to the second and third son even though son #3 already had his own lands. It's kind of hosed up.

:stonk: I guess I am doubly glad I am playing the pre-Charlemagne beta patch or whatever it is, because gently caress that noise.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So, my Scandinavia game just gets better and better. I've finally managed to achieve most of my goals - become Scandinavia, conquer Britannia, become Emperor of that, reform my religion, get out of Gavelkind in almost all of my titles. Now, I'm searching around for stuff to do, when the Pope calls a crusade on me for England.

I fight it off, but not before I lose well over half my retinue and a shitton of my vassals forces. Mostly, I suspect, through ill-advised attacks, but still. I've won, its okay, I've got plenty of time to rebuild. Thats when 100,000 Aztecs show up.

As it turns out, I'd forgotten to deactivate that little piece of DLC. So now 100,000 screaming bloodthirsty Aztecs have shown up off the coast of Ireland seeking to conquer it. I raise all the vassal forces I can, all the Mercenaries I can recruit, and my remaining half of my retinue to Britain to fight them off. It looks like they've all split off into 10,000 man stacks to siege, so I figured I'd be okay. Nope, as soon as the two 25,000 man armies of mine show up the Aztecs bunch up and slaughter them all.

I now have no retinues left. The only thing stopping an outright rebellion is the fact that my vassals have practically nothing left to. I knuckle under and hand over Ireland to the Aztecs, and go back to desperately trying to rebuild my shattered forces. At least I've got money (vast sums of it) so I can get my retinue back to full easy, but I don't think I've got much in the way of mercenaries or vassal levies left.

Now the Aztecs have declared war on me again for Scotland, which is where I saved. I'm thinking its not even worth trying to fight them off - just grant the Empire of Britannia title to somebody in England and leave it to their own devices? Then I can go back when the Aztecs have expended thier insane doomstack and fallen to rebels and take back Britain all over again. Is that a reasonable thing to do?

Goddamn, I love this game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Adventurers are busted now. I just saw some guy with 30k troops declare a conquest of Arabia and all he took after winning was the 3 provinces he sieged. Good poo poo.

edit: it was the Duchy of Arabia, not the Kingdom. :sweatdrop:

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 24, 2014

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I haven't had any issues with gavelkind, I have no idea why everyone else seems to get these bizarre happenings. Maybe your electors changed their votes to one of your other sons without you noticing at some point before your death? They tend to change their minds constantly and if you're occupied with wars and whatever I can totally imagine missing the popups.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why is Basque in the same culture group as Visigothic?

Because they both live in Iberia. No really, that's it.
As far as I can tell Visigoth never changes either, I'm at 1100 with my Hispanic empire and I'm still a visigoth.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I talked earlier about matri-marrying my second son to the Queen of England, and everyone told me what a bad idea that was. I tried to benefit from it by regular-marrying a later descendent to her only daughter, but that didn't work out well either. I lost some land in Egypt due to succession, and it was gonna take some serious finagling/plotting to get the second-generation queen's son on the Empire of Sicilia throne.

So I went back to the last save before the matri-marriage, and offered a regular betrothal myself with my as-yet unlanded second son, Uberto II. As soon as Uberto II turned 16, Constance sent her marriage request and I paused, made him a very powerful duke with a bunch of land, and unpaused. The request disappeared, but a month or so later, they got married on their own. Now Uberto III is the heir to England, Africa, Sicily, Italy, Jerusalem, and the Empire of Sicilia. Definitely a good thing I rewound. I also just won a Holy War for Carinthia versus the thankfully-Fraticelli HRE. I had to hire three Holy Orders and the Great and St. George Companies, but it was well worth the cash. Chipping away at those assholes every ten years, and hopefully my vassal Pope calls a crusade against them at some point.

As you can see, that terrifying Tartaria blob is finally having internal issues. At some point I'll have to deal with the Ilkhanate I guess, but hopefully by then I'll have a lot more of Europe and I'll definitely have England and Anatolia when Uberto III takes the throne.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Martello posted:

and hopefully my vassal Pope calls a crusade against them at some point.

IIRC, If the Pope is your vassal you can just tell him to call a crusade on whoever you want as long as you're not on cooldown from the previous one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Martello posted:

So I talked earlier about matri-marrying my second son to the Queen of England, and everyone told me what a bad idea that was. I tried to benefit from it by regular-marrying a later descendent to her only daughter, but that didn't work out well either. I lost some land in Egypt due to succession, and it was gonna take some serious finagling/plotting to get the second-generation queen's son on the Empire of Sicilia throne.

So I went back to the last save before the matri-marriage, and offered a regular betrothal myself with my as-yet unlanded second son, Uberto II. As soon as Uberto II turned 16, Constance sent her marriage request and I paused, made him a very powerful duke with a bunch of land, and unpaused. The request disappeared, but a month or so later, they got married on their own. Now Uberto III is the heir to England, Africa, Sicily, Italy, Jerusalem, and the Empire of Sicilia. Definitely a good thing I rewound. I also just won a Holy War for Carinthia versus the thankfully-Fraticelli HRE. I had to hire three Holy Orders and the Great and St. George Companies, but it was well worth the cash. Chipping away at those assholes every ten years, and hopefully my vassal Pope calls a crusade against them at some point.

As you can see, that terrifying Tartaria blob is finally having internal issues. At some point I'll have to deal with the Ilkhanate I guess, but hopefully by then I'll have a lot more of Europe and I'll definitely have England and Anatolia when Uberto III takes the throne.

I'm more amused that you are Baron of Gurk. I know it's a real place, but drat if doesn't sound like an involuntary throat noise.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Automated Posting posted:

IIRC, If the Pope is your vassal you can just tell him to call a crusade on whoever you want as long as you're not on cooldown from the previous one.

That's what I thought, but when I enter diplomacy with him I never see "call crusade" as an option. Unless I'm somehow missing it.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm more amused that you are Baron of Gurk. I know it's a real place, but drat if doesn't sound like an involuntary throat noise.

Haha, yeah it's a silly name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurk,_Carinthia

I took that screenshot before I parceled out the land. I'm using Carinthia as my Designated Heir Duchy. Gives him power and prestige for votes, a vote in the Kingdom of Italy (historically my toughest election to win), and it can just keep passing down to the next heir. So in the Empire of Sicilia, Duke of Carinthia is equivalent to Prince of Wales. He'll also be Duke of Tripolitana and Calabria (with just a county in each to preserve my demesne consolidation) to give him votes in the other two kingdoms. Not sure how I'll play it when Uberto III inherits England.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
New beta patch:

quote:

MAJOR:
- Disabled the Depose Liege CB and the Weaken Fellow Vassal plots for not working well enough
- Fixed an issue where adventurers would no longer spawn fleets correctly
- Tweaked Gavelkind succession to focus more on the current capital duchy region for the primary heir rather than the "preferred" capital
- Tweaked Gavelkind succession to take no heed of what heirs will inherit from outside your realm

MINOR:
- Fixed bug where combats with multiple units on one side would always pick the WORST leader for each flank
- You can now only complete the "Become Exalted Among Men" ambition once per lifetime.
- Fixed OOS if all players did not reselect their characters after the last player had loaded the save.
- Tribals will now upgrade towards castle if their liege is feudal and city if their liege is republic.
- Removed the vassal king opinion penalty.
- Faction CBs are now invalidated when the liege is in a faction.
- The Byzantine free revoke on duchies are now in the Imperial Administration law.
- If the Charlemagne DLC is enabled, the Byzantine free revoke on duchies only applies to Viceroyalties.
- Fixed bug where the Centralization law was reset to the first level when enabling High Tribal Organization.
- The viceroyalty status of titles are now reset when the top liege gets the title, instead of just the liege.
- Lowered the opinion penalty for feudal vassals for granted viceroyalties (was -5 for king viceroys and -2 for duke viceroys, is now -2 for kings and -1 for dukes).
- Vassals can now grant viceroyalties if their topliege have laws allowing this and they have viceroyalty titles to give away.
- The viceroyalty flag for titles now resets when the topliege inherits the title, not just the liege.
- Viceroyalty titles can no longer be given as a normal title to a vassal.
- Added missing decision icon for offering to help with lieges titles.
- Minor localization fixes for events.
- Viceroyalties now provide their lieges with fewer levies.
- Fixed bug where overridden tribal holdings were not properly removed.
- The decisions for forming kingdoms and empires now have their succession laws inherited from the base title.
- Fixed CTD when using the console to increase attributes and the target character was dead.
- Event when regent is in on plot to lower tribal organization now have the right localization.
- Crash fixes for total conversion mods when learning scenario characters did not exist.
- Fixed republican succession where the capital was not a county capital.
- Tribal buildings now show what castle and city buildings they convert to in their tooltip.
- Republics now use their succession laws properly for all their titles and not just some of them.
- Fixed bug where looters were able to siege several holdings in one province simultaneously.
- Fixed broken calculation of months when determining if the war is undecided.
- Fixed bug where characters selected before loading a save was still the selected character after the save was loaded.
- Fixed issue where the exported chronicle showed the wrong year.
- Fixed bug where chronicle entries were missing from the chronicle.
- Characters with portraits in the chronicle will no longer be pruned from the database.
- Fixed bug where filler-entries showed the wrong year.
- The call all tribal allies tooltip now tells you when you can not call tribal vassals.
- AI no longer changes viceroyalty laws to handle being over vassal limit.
- Tribals and pagans can now raid others of the same religion.
- Triggered modifiers will no longer be added repeatedly and will be removed when no longer valid.
- Fixed bug where succession laws inherited from viceroyalties defaulted to gavelkind instead of the intended law.
- It is no longer possible to destroy viceroyalties.
- Fixed bug where factions to change succession laws were allowed against viceroyalties.
- When copying laws from viceroyalties, the liege title will be used for copying the laws.
- Fixed bug where the mongols could enact the open elective law.
- Viceroyalties can no longer change succession laws.
- Pressing "G" when having several units selected will now merge the units instead of changning mapmode.
- Blocked several CB's and plots against viceroyalties.
- Fixed bug where characters lost the viceroyalty-tag on their titles when they rebelled against their liege.
- Fixed bug where characters did not lose the viceroyalty-tag when they inherited their top liege title.
- Forming a merchant republic no longer creates a patrician of your own dynasty vassal.
- Mercenary costs are now calculated properly before raising them.

MODDING:
- Added copy_title_laws flag to the create_title effect (yes will copy laws from the base title)
- The priority_shortcut flag in interface scripts can now be used to define priority shortcuts. Priority shortcuts will fire before any other shortcuts.
- Added error log message for assigning is_viceroyalty in history where the title is owned by the top liege.

Bishop Rodan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 24, 2014

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is that the 2.2.0.2 patch on Steam?

Is it possible to disable the "has accepted your call to arms"-popup? As a tribal king it gets very annoying and spammy. I can't find it in message settings (though there is a setting for "declined your call to arms"). It's weird that they didn't put in the same search-thingy for message settings that's in Victoria 2, it would have been very useful.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Does that invalidate Beta saves?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Apoffys posted:

Is that the 2.2.0.2 patch on Steam?
It is!

SkySteak posted:

Does that invalidate Beta saves?

I don't think it would, though I haven't tested it yet.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

quote:

- Pressing "G" when having several units selected will now merge the units instead of changning mapmode.
it only took them nearly two years, but it's finally here!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just remembered that during the live twitch stream for charlemagne I asked (begged) for a map mode where a vassal can see his own vassals (the current vassal mode only shows the vassals of independent realms, so you have no way of seeing your own vassals if you are a vassal yourself), which is something really lacking and makes playing a vassal of a big empire very annoying when you get big and have to deal with your own internal politics.

One of the guys in the stream read my comment and said it could be introduced on the next patch or something, I wonder if it was? Nobody mentioned it yet.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just remembered that during the live twitch stream for charlemagne I asked (begged) for a map mode where a vassal can see his own vassals (the current vassal mode only shows the vassals of independent realms, so you have no way of seeing your own vassals if you are a vassal yourself), which is something really lacking and makes playing a vassal of a big empire very annoying when you get big and have to deal with your own internal politics.

One of the guys in the stream read my comment and said it could be introduced on the next patch or something, I wonder if it was? Nobody mentioned it yet.

I feel your pain. In my game as the Duke of Austria, I was a vassal of the King of Bavaria, who in turn was a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor, so I couldn't even see my realm. :gonk:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Nothing about preventing viceroys making duchies and kingdoms.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

That HRE border gore :allears:

I asked yesterday about what do with my queen of Sicily, after she found that her uncle was King of Germany. Obvious answer - kill his wife, marry uncle. Press claim on Burgundy, HW to get enough provinces, and culture flip to German for the HRE decision.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ninjahedgehog posted:

I feel your pain. In my game as the Duke of Austria, I was a vassal of the King of Bavaria, who in turn was a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor, so I couldn't even see my realm. :gonk:

It seems something so useful and easy to implement (if I remember correctly even one of the devs admitted it was), I wonder why is not a feature yet.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I thought royal laws on converting to feudalism were supposed to get fixed in the first beta patch? Investiture is still hosed up, defaults to neither Papal nor Free when you make the switch :(

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bishop Rodan posted:

I don't think it would, though I haven't tested it yet.
It didn't - I loaded my most recent save up after Steam downloaded 5.6 megabytes of "something" that turned out to be the beta patch, and it works just fine.

However, I did just see a nine-year-old girl die due to severe Depression.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

That HRE border gore :allears:

I asked yesterday about what do with my queen of Sicily, after she found that her uncle was King of Germany. Obvious answer - kill his wife, marry uncle. Press claim on Burgundy, HW to get enough provinces, and culture flip to German for the HRE decision.

Ah yes, the niece/uncle marriage, the Hapsburg specialty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Martello posted:

That's what I thought, but when I enter diplomacy with him I never see "call crusade" as an option. Unless I'm somehow missing it.

It's not done in the pope's diplomacy screen, it's done in the diplo screen of whoever you want crusaded (but the option doesn't appear at all if it's on cooldown).

• Locked thread