Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Opopanax posted:

That was kind of part of it, though. That conversation he has with The Other makes it pretty clear that he's desperate and Thanos is calling the shots

Oh, I can understand that the true villains were meant to be The Other's army (With Thanos in the background), but I guess Loki getting poo poo on constantly kind of annoyed me. If it was just the Hulk scene it'd be okay, but it was him getting poo poo on by the Other, getting tricked by Widow, catching the arrow and having it blow up in his face AND get knocked around by Hulk. It felt like he was more of a comedic bumbler than an actual villain.

I know the end was supposed to just be the Avengers finally coming together and ruining the enemy's poo poo, but the villain was probably one of the weakest points of the film for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Guardians of the Galaxy was the feel-good hit of the summer. I am glad when a movie has an uplifting message that makes you feel like maybe good can prevail.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The one thing I don't like in the trailer (on further reflection) was ironically one of the things that got me hyped just to see: the Hulkbuster. Just because gently caress, we already had a scene of "Hulk goes nuts" in the first Avengers and I don't want to waste screen time with hero v. hero fights when I could be getting actual plot and/or hero v. villain fights.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think my favorite shot of the trailer is that weirdly busted up creepy looking proto-Ultron walking in all stiffly and just crushing that helmet/robot head.
Oh, absolutely. There was an actual horror component there that hasn't really existed in the Marvel films so far. More of that, please!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

The one thing I don't like in the trailer (on further reflection) was ironically one of the things that got me hyped just to see: the Hulkbuster. Just because gently caress, we already had a scene of "Hulk goes nuts" in the first Avengers and I don't want to waste screen time with hero v. hero fights when I could be getting actual plot and/or hero v. villain fights.

Look man fighting the Hulk is just something heroes have to do regularly.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

TwoPair posted:

There's always the possibility the Hulkbuster isn't being controlled by Tony.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thenakedflip posted:

There's always the possibility the Hulkbuster isn't being controlled by Tony.

It seems remarkably unlikely considering we see Iron Man suiting up inside the Hulkbuster.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ImpAtom posted:

It seems remarkably unlikely considering we see Iron Man suiting up inside the Hulkbuster.

We also see Ultron controlling his armor in the very same trailer??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

We also see Ultron controlling his armor in the very same trailer??

It seems really unlikely they would have Ultron controlling the Iron Man suit and then controlling the Hulkbuster inside from inside the Iron Man suit with a dramatic 'suiting up' pose.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

It seems really unlikely they would have Ultron controlling the Iron Man suit and then controlling the Hulkbuster inside from inside the Iron Man suit with a dramatic 'suiting up' pose.
What if Ultron wanted people to think Tony was inside? It's a very public setting...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

Its not like a trailer has a bunch of scenes out of order.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

redbackground posted:

What if Ultron wanted people to think Tony was inside? It's a very public setting...

Or most importantly, he wants Hulk to think Tony is attacking him

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

TwoPair posted:

In their defense though, that's an actual thing in the comics. The Avengers are constantly having to go take down Hulk during one of his hissy fits. It's so common that The Hulk may as well be considered a major member of The Avengers' rogues gallery despite simultaneously being a team member. It's the entire reason behind the Planet Hulk and World War Hulk storylines. Tony and Co. got sick of his constant back and forth from friend to threat and kicked his rear end off the planet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Its not like a trailer has a bunch of scenes out of order.

I'm not sure what that has to do with it. The scene is shot like a heroic suiting up scene. It could be misleading but it seems a bit much to assume.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what that has to do with it. The scene is shot like a heroic suiting up scene. It could be misleading but it seems a bit much to assume.

It also has him reloading when he gets in implying the Hulkbuster was in use before. Plus we really hope there isn't another Hulk goes crazy scene and Tony is just reclaiming it in the middle of a fight. Let us live in our dreamworld you monster.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

It also has him reloading when he gets in implying the Hulkbuster was in use before. Plus we really hope there isn't another Hulk goes crazy scene and Tony is just reclaiming it in the middle of a fight. Let us live in our dreamworld you monster.

Would it ruin the bromance between Bruce and Tony :(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

As much as I loved the first film, Avengers real failure was that Loki never really felt like a legitimate threat. It was partly Thor humanizing him to an extent, but in Avengers it really seemed like he never came out on top except MAYBE once. He always got punked so I never felt like "Oh gently caress, this guys a real danger."

Even from just this one trailer, they make Ultron seem like an actual menace. If the movie can make Ultron into something that can stand toe to toe with the heroes instead of just swamping them with drones then I'm happy.

Loki showed up and got repeatedly owned, as is appropriate for a crossover structured to have a bunch of heroes team up and look cool while winning in an uncomplicated situation. However, he got exactly what he wanted in the end: he and the Tesseract were both in Asgard.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus he got to shiv Thor.

Also, maybe the Hulk/Tony fight is because Tony tried to zap Bruce with that little taser looking prod thing again and WHOOPSIE THERE GOES BRAZIL or wherever the hell they are.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gaz-L posted:

"Give up, Ultron? WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?"

Edit: Also, if that shot of the Iron Patriot armour being destroyed doesn't lead to a line about how "we don't need a patriot now. We need a War Machine...", I'll... eat sweet popcorn when I see the movie! And I HATE sweet popcorn!

I'd be a lot more surprised if it wasn't Rhodey has been killed and Tony now has the drive to take down Ultron because this time, it's personal.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think that was the IP armor being destroyed. It's got the Avengers A on it, and it looks a lot less... War Machine than the other armor did. Seems to be a full bodied suit of some kind, like a blown up proto ultron body or something.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Madkal posted:

Where's my Blue Devil movie!?

We're already on movie 2 dude

Flash TV show Easter egg for those that missed it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think that was the IP armor being destroyed. It's got the Avengers A on it, and it looks a lot less... War Machine than the other armor did. Seems to be a full bodied suit of some kind, like a blown up proto ultron body or something.

One of Tony's drones that kick off the plot, maybe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fun to see a Doom Patrol reference.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It'd be really fun if Marvel switched gears and the Avengers found themselves fighting Raymond Reddington.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bobkatt013 posted:

Would it ruin the bromance between Bruce and Tony :(

If the Hulk wrote off every single person that tried to maim or kill him over the years, he wouldn't be able to talk to anyone. As everyone has said, sometimes you just have to fight the Hulk. Most people have a bad day where they lash out at those around them every so often, it's just that with Banner that generally ends with him leveling a major city. The reason they keep him around is sometimes that city he levels is filled with enemies, and he marched through an army of robots/aliens/actual people but they were bad people so it's cool to get there.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Esroc posted:

It's the entire reason behind the Planet Hulk and World War Hulk storylines. Tony and Co. got sick of his constant back and forth from friend to threat and kicked his rear end off the planet.
Well, the real reason was that Civil War was being written and they couldn't think of a good reason for Hulk not to give an overwhelming advantage to whichever side he joined (probably anti-registration). :)

But it resulted in my favorite Hulk story so w/e.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Contrived or not, shooting Hulk into space is a really good idea provided the one in a billion chance that he lands on The Planet of War and Revenge Preparation doesn't happen. But it did and welp.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Contrived or not, shooting Hulk into space is a really good idea provided the one in a billion chance that he lands on The Planet of War and Revenge Preparation doesn't happen. But it did and welp.

Even if he had landed on the good planet, it would have ended the same. The skrulls still would have hosed with him until he came back.
But you're right, they were just giving him what he always said he wanted.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

edit whoops, i think i posted this in the wrong thread.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 24, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Senor Candle posted:

Which is why the "send him to space" bit isn't the reason he gets angry and comes back, but rather than he thinks they left a bomb on the ship to kill him which resulted in killing Caiera.

RIGHT BEFORE the end of Planet Hulk, he clearly thinks that this is totally his jam and he is having an awesome time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Agent_grey posted:

We're already on movie 2 dude

Flash TV show Easter egg for those that missed it

Further proof that the DC-TV world is so much better than ours.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Even if he had landed on the good planet, it would have ended the same. The skrulls still would have hosed with him until he came back.

It was more his best friends gently caress with him and kill his wife.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

It was more his best friends gently caress with him and kill his wife.

I thought it was the Skrulls that planted the bomb? I could be wrong I don't remember those very well

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I thought it was the Skrulls that planted the bomb? I could be wrong I don't remember those very well

Sorry its was

quote:

Red King loyalists had planted a damaged warp core on the Hulk's ship hoping it would kill the Hulk. Miek did not tell the Hulk hoping it would encourage the Hulk to keep destroying

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Have the TV/Film universe's been given official multiverse designations yet? WIll they? Is that a bad idea?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hi liter posted:

Have the TV/Film universe's been given official multiverse designations yet?
Yes, yes it has.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

bobkatt013 posted:

Sorry its was

That was always my biggest problem with World War Hulk. The final reveal should always have been "no Hulk the Illumanti didn't plant a bomb and make the ship explode. No one did. It was just a stupid, tragic, random accident that happened and you've been lashing out at Earth because it's easier to do that then admit that no one is at fault."
After all, it's just a stupid twist of fate that leads Bruce Banner becoming Hulk (rather than later nonsense about it being a conspiracy to have him locked outside when the bomb goes off.)
Tragic stuff can happen, and while it's frustrating not having a target to direct your rage at, in the end you just have to learn to let go to move past it.

But that's probably a discussion for another thread.

Bringing it back to movies, I bought a kick rear end red Jacket and I'm going to be Starlord this Halloween. I want us to reflect on this. We live in a world, where it is perfectly acceptable for people to dress like Peter Quill for Halloween. Truly this is the greatest of all universes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

Bringing it back to movies, I bought a kick rear end red Jacket and I'm going to be Starlord this Halloween.

It's a great costume because it comes with a ready-made reference/joke if people don't know who you're dressed up as.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The Question IRL posted:

That was always my biggest problem with World War Hulk. The final reveal should always have been "no Hulk the Illumanti didn't plant a bomb and make the ship explode. No one did. It was just a stupid, tragic, random accident that happened and you've been lashing out at Earth because it's easier to do that then admit that no one is at fault."
After all, it's just a stupid twist of fate that leads Bruce Banner becoming Hulk (rather than later nonsense about it being a conspiracy to have him locked outside when the bomb goes off.)
Tragic stuff can happen, and while it's frustrating not having a target to direct your rage at, in the end you just have to learn to let go to move past it.
The incident with the gamma bomb wasn't just a stupid twist of fate. Rick Jones was being a moron and jerking off on the bomb site or something. Banner was forced to save him. If Rick hadn't been there, the test may very well have gone completely fine. Honestly, I don't know why anyone in the Marvel universe hasn't tossed that kid onto another planet.

Anyway...if no one planted a bomb, the bulk of the responsibility still falls on the engineers who designed and built the craft. There's such a thing as tragic fated accidents and then there's spaceships that kill a goddamn planet. The Hulk never really believed that the Illuminati were evil madmen who intentionally wanted to destroy a planet full of innocents (yet :downs:); that wasn't the point, the point is that a planet full of innocents still died from their creation. Saying "Oh, but we didn't mean for that to happen" is poor consolation for the fact that it still happened because the spaceship you built with your own hands was crazy dangerous.

Miek had to be the one truly behind it. It turns the situation from "You sent me to a planet with an Armageddon device waiting to go off" to "The device was actually perfectly harmless and would have stayed perfectly harmless if it hadn't been tampered with by another person entirely, like someone using gasoline from inside a Prius to set a house on fire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Lobok posted:

It's a great costume because it comes with a ready-made reference/joke if people don't know who you're dressed up as.

Yeah, that can be important. One year I found out the hard way that "who are you?" was not a setup for my best "I'm the motherfuckin' Juggernaut, Bitch!" The whole party ground to a halt so fast I could swear I heard a record skip.

• Locked thread