Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Goddamn, I hate the "homophobes are gay and in denial" trope as much as the next goon, but "a scheme to demonstrate a homophobic point by pretending to be gay with a friend" is like something out of a bad fanfiction.

It's an attempt at humor, I think, the way a 13 year-old who saw himself as edgy would attempt, using his photoshop skillz in 1997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know you are attributing it to Maher in specific, but considering nothing about him says troll, you might as well apply it to everyone. Maher is not a troll, Rush is a troll if you want an example of an actual troll. As his opinion changes whenever it is more useful for him, Maher is extremely consistent.

Can a troll still be extremely consistent, if it gets results? I see your point and maybe there's only one way to go about trolling. It's given me something to think about anyway.

I also don't consider Maher part of the Right Wing Media so agree to disagree there.

VitalSigns posted:

For someone who :airquote:doesn't care:airquote: about Maher, you sure can't seem to let a single negative post about him go by without saying somethin'

And when they do, I'm glad to know you'll be here to inspire us with your defense of your sweet prince's honor.

Nice try, if a bit immature. You seem to be upset that I'm not frothing with rage and hate at Bill Maher because I don't even know where the disagreement is coming from. If you could tell me maybe we can settle up. I'm just saying he's small potatoes and why does anyone even care about him enough (or at all) to get this angry?

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 24, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

For what it's worth I've imagined Patrick Stewart saying everything, and that had been pretty enjoyable.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

N. Senada posted:

For what it's worth I've imagined Patrick Stewart saying everything, and that had been pretty enjoyable.

In that case I should have written my posts with more Captain's speeches and weightier prose. :smith:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
We all have regrets, friend.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Here's another right wing nutcase trying to cause hysteria with just rumors and hearsay.

http://www.infowars.com/medical-professional-health-authorities-covering-up-ebola-cases-in-u-s/

quote:

“These patients are disappearing, they’re doing something with the patients and God knows where they’re going,” said the doctor.

“They’re preparing for something,” he added, speculating that the endgame could be medical martial law or the Obola administration’s complete takeover of the medical system."

World War O

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 24, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ninjasaurus posted:

I'm just saying he's small potatoes and why does anyone even care about him enough (or at all) to get this angry?

He's not small potatoes and he makes us all (liberals, progressives, etc) look terrible.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lurker1981 posted:

Here's another right wing nutcase trying to cause hysteria with just rumors and hearsay.

http://www.infowars.com/medical-professional-health-authorities-covering-up-ebola-cases-in-u-s/

World War O

I love Infowar. It's like a serious Weekly World News. And Alex Jones is their Bat Boy.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Ninjasaurus posted:

Nice try, if a bit immature. You seem to be upset that I'm not frothing with rage and hate at Bill Maher because I don't even know where the disagreement is coming from. If you could tell me maybe we can settle up. I'm just saying he's small potatoes and why does anyone even care about him enough (or at all) to get this angry?

every post you make drips with some baseless condescension while providing some defense of clearly idiotic statements by maher. then you backpedal and say "lol hes a troll y u fall for it??" as if you can make everyone forget you were tripping over your own feet to defend those actions for 2 pages. also this logical robot incapable of emotion shtick is really lame and just adds a lovely flavor to your condescension.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/colorado-dems-james-okeefe

Dunno if this has been discussed yet but O'Keefe is being creepy again.

It sounds like the actual video doesn't show much of anything, so only right wing news sites are carrying it as a bombshell.

The Denver Post did cover it, however:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2014/10/22/video-activist-james-okeefe-targets-colorados-mail-voting/114385/#disqus_thread

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Where does O'Keefe get the money to do what he does? Or it just daddy's money?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Where does O'Keefe get the money to do what he does? Or it just daddy's money?

He fabricates the dirt that gets legitimate institutions like ACORN out which keeps Republicans in, he's a good investment who has no shame or hesitation about lying for soundbites.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Have any of his schemes worked post Acorn? That was a pretty big win since politicians were too gutless to really fight the obvious lies. However afterwards it seem that people know who he is or are at least aware of people trying to get them saying something bad on camera so they just leave or don't let him into an area where he can get footage to doctor. All I can really think of is his ridiculous sex boat, sneaking across the boarder dressed in a robe, and tapping the phone of the senator, none of which really hit pay dirt. Riling up conservatives and making them think all Democratic voters are criminals is their natural state so if he doesn't get a non-profit shut down or something it feels like a waste.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It seems he's never going to get the reception from the rest of the media that he initially got with the Acorn charade. His Wikipedia entry is fairly interesting and longer than you would expect. At this point I would assume his 501c gets bank rolled by the usual suspects.

Also check this out, it would seem to give insight into the frame of mind he works with when manufacturing his works of fiction:

quote:

For his first video, O'Keefe and other Centurion writers met with Rutgers dining staff to demand the banning of the cereal Lucky Charms from dining halls because of its offense to Irish Americans. O'Keefe said the leprechaun mascot presented a stereotype. He intended to have officials lose either way: to appear insensitive to an ethnic group, or to look silly by agreeing to ban Lucky Charms.[15] They expected to be thrown out of school,[16] but the Rutgers official was courteous, took notes, and said their concerns would be considered. Rutgers staff say the cereal was never taken off the menu.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_O%27Keefe

edit: In the past a lot of us had figured he had some mental issues, but after seeing that "first video" description above it seems he just enjoys being an rear end in a top hat.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 24, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Banning Lucky Charms just seems like a dick move.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yes, I'm sure the omnipresent and all-powerful Obama regime is just chomping at the bit to take over the US Healthcare system. Next they'll seize the printed news industry and TAB Soda factory.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Banning Lucky Charms just seems like a dick move.

They're magically delicious, and the magic is racism.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tab8715 posted:

He's not small potatoes and he makes us all (liberals, progressives, etc) look terrible.

No he doesn't. No one I know cites him for anything and I travel in highly liberal circles. When people say "liberals do the same thing!" and cite people like Maddow, Obermann and, poo poo, I don't know...Ed Shcultz or Stephanie Miller as examples, the differences becomes palpable because nobody I can think of - none of my hard left leaning friends - ever come up to me and ask me if I watched Maher or FW:FW:FW: links from Buzzfeed to me or anything like that. We don't get our news and our marching orders from these sources or let it dictate how we think.

The right does this and it's demonstrable and provable. I think that's the difference and what I think people are referring to when they say "Bill Maher is small potatoes".

Let's talk for 5 pages about Micheal Moore now and how he's just like Dinesh D'Souza

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Not like it's the most fun thing in the world but I'd rather this than having to 100% defend, and pretend I agree with, everything that comes out of a wrongness-factory like Hannity. I think Maher comes up a lot because he's a big target who's staking out a niche position that's pretty polarizing.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I have no way to explain this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfjU3_XOaA

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
O'Keefe is just such a creeper. Like how do you even get that batshit crazy?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darkman Fanpage posted:

He's not crazy, he just gives no fucks and is willing to be a useful idiot in the culture wars. I guess maybe narcissism, in that you're so willing to sell out to become notorious and a pseudoceleb that you garner universal hatred.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

He's not crazy, he just gives no fucks and is willing to be a useful idiot in the culture wars. I guess maybe narcissism, in that you're so willing to sell out to become notorious and a pseudoceleb that you garner universal hatred.

It also helps that he never faces consequences for anything. He got away with wiretapping a Senator's office.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

He's like Sarah Palin and a lot of other conservative icons in that mostly I just wish people would stop pretending he's legitimate or worth listening to. But he (hamfistedly, dishonestly, idiotically) tries to make the other side look bad, so people are willing to overlook it. If he wasn't serving the hardcore conservative movement's purposes, he'd have no credibility with anyone anywhere, and would have to figure out something actually worthwhile to do with his life.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

I think the whole "seduce a reporter on a boat full of dildos" thing at least calls this into question.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

No he doesn't. No one I know cites him for anything and I travel in highly liberal circles. When people say "liberals do the same thing!" and cite people like Maddow, Obermann and, poo poo, I don't know...Ed Shcultz or Stephanie Miller as examples, the differences becomes palpable because nobody I can think of - none of my hard left leaning friends - ever come up to me and ask me if I watched Maher or FW:FW:FW: links from Buzzfeed to me or anything like that. We don't get our news and our marching orders from these sources or let it dictate how we think.

The right does this and it's demonstrable and provable. I think that's the difference and what I think people are referring to when they say "Bill Maher is small potatoes".

Let's talk for 5 pages about Micheal Moore now and how he's just like Dinesh D'Souza

I still hear people talk about Michael Moore as if he's the most influential liberal pundit to this day, never mind the the fact that he hasn't made a documentary since the beginning of Obama's first term, and even that one slipped under the radar a bit, which is a shame because it was my favorite one, tbh. I can count on one hand the number of self-described liberals today who actually admit to liking him; at best they'll say he "makes a good documentary" but then they'll throw in some South Park bullshit about how "in the end, he's not that different from Rush or Hannity, just on the other side of the spectrum and we need to take both sides with an equal grain of salt".

I mean, I have heard that he uses unpaid intern slave labor or something in his production crews, but I don't know how true that really is.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I still hear people talk about Michael Moore as if he's the most influential liberal pundit to this day, never mind the the fact that he hasn't made a documentary since the beginning of Obama's first term, and even that one slipped under the radar a bit, which is a shame because it was my favorite one, tbh. I can count on one hand the number of self-described liberals today who actually admit to liking him; at best they'll say he "makes a good documentary" but then they'll throw in some South Park bullshit about how "in the end, he's not that different from Rush or Hannity, just on the other side of the spectrum and we need to take both sides with an equal grain of salt".

I mean, I have heard that he uses unpaid intern slave labor or something in his production crews, but I don't know how true that really is.

For some reason I just kind of assumed that Moore had died at some point.

Not sure who you're talking to because I spend too much time in the right wing media sphere and I can't remember a single instance where his name has come up in years.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the whole "seduce a reporter on a boat full of dildos" thing at least calls this into question.

Eh that's the kind of plan a rich entitled idiot would come up with.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Perhaps the same could be said of all conservative ideas...but enough talk, have at you!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ProperGanderPusher posted:

but then they'll throw in some South Park bullshit about how "in the end, he's not that different from Rush or Hannity, just on the other side of the spectrum and we need to take both sides with an equal grain of salt".

One of the weirdest things about D&D to me is that if a liberal/progressive figure is ever criticized for any reason other than holding a non-progressive stance on something, South Park is inevitably namedropped. Like clockwork, for at least four years. The longevity of that meme is astounding. Look, Michael Moore is kind of a shithead, in a Big-Lebowski "you're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat" sense. Thinking this does not make me automatically a centrist or a contrarian; it's not even necessarily a political stance. It makes sense for him to behave like a shithead in the context of 2000s-era America, but that doesn't make him magically not a shithead.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Goddamn, I hate the "homophobes are gay and in denial" trope as much as the next goon, but "a scheme to demonstrate a homophobic point by pretending to be gay with a friend" is like something out of a bad fanfiction.

I'm sorry Stephen, I'm just having trouble staying in character. I think if I'm gonna do this with you, I'm gonna have to go ALL IN.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I still feel Michael Moore was most effective with "Canadian Bacon".

There's a lot of great criticism brought up in that movie, but it's kind of subtle in some regards because people see it and go "LOL John Candy".

He should have stuck it out and kept doing Comedies.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

You're going to have Micheal Moore, Obermann referenced much more than Maher but he's still a dick. I can't stand Micheal Moore, the way he presents anything is just mind grating.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The person I used to hear referenced as a left-wing Limbaugh most often apart from Moore was Al Franken, but he's a Senator now which has kind of tempered his shock-jock status.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Not sure who you're talking to because I spend too much time in the right wing media sphere and I can't remember a single instance where his name has come up in years.

It's more in real life than in the blogosphere, actually. These are the same people who still make Monica Lewinsky and Chappaquiddick jokes, for what it's worth.

loquacius posted:

One of the weirdest things about D&D to me is that if a liberal/progressive figure is ever criticized for any reason other than holding a non-progressive stance on something, South Park is inevitably namedropped. Like clockwork, for at least four years. The longevity of that meme is astounding. Look, Michael Moore is kind of a shithead, in a Big-Lebowski "you're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat" sense. Thinking this does not make me automatically a centrist or a contrarian; it's not even necessarily a political stance. It makes sense for him to behave like a shithead in the context of 2000s-era America, but that doesn't make him magically not a shithead.

With the exception of that one time he grilled a Parkinsons-ridden Charleton Heston in Bowling for Columbine (which I admit was kind of a dick move), what other lovely things has he done?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

AdjectiveNoun posted:

It also helps that he never faces consequences for anything. He got away with wiretapping a Senator's office.

He seems like the sort of guy who is going to pick the wrong pocket at some point, but then you're right, he did somehow escape major consequence for that wiretapping stunt.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Good Citizen posted:

I feel bad for Michael Moore.

He was skinny before he made that 'SuperSize Me' documentary, and now he can't lose the weight no matter what he does. Exposing McDonald's as being an absolute monster that was giving American citizens cheap, affordable "food" was important, but at what cost? They got rid of the supersize option because nobody wants to end up like Michael Moore.

South Park namedrop

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

The person I used to hear referenced as a left-wing Limbaugh most often apart from Moore was Al Franken, but he's a Senator now which has kind of tempered his shock-jock status.

Yea, he's not so much a political-pundit any longer but even when he was he never came across so grating, rude or disrespectful like Maher.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

lurker1981 posted:

He was skinny before he made that 'SuperSize Me' documentary, and now he can't lose the weight no matter what he does. Exposing McDonald's as being an absolute monster that was giving American citizens cheap, affordable "food" was important, but at what cost? They got rid of the supersize option because nobody wants to end up like Michael Moore.

South Park namedrop

Unless I'm missing a joke, that wasn't Michael Moore. It was Morgan Spurlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

lurker1981 posted:

South Park namedrop

Morgan Spurlock did SuperSize Me.

EFB