Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, that one is basically different but as-good as before. Chimes even better with prescience than before of course. Overall I think the orders in general are better/more flexible. Ignores cover (used to be re-roll successful cover save) is huge, for the junior officers there is just a lot more utility. Even more than the content, the increased range for junior officers and the relaxed LoS/target restrictions are a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah that seems like an absolutely monstrous wargear combo against the right armies.

I've only played once with the new book, and probably no more than four or five games with the old one, but man the new Dark Eldar feels really fun to me. I usually do vanilla Marines, but something about the rules in this codex just clicks with me.

Yeah, I am really liking the book. It's gimmicky, sure, but I think it's the best presentation of those gimmicks yet, and it has a really strong, fluffy "feel" to it.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I am really liking the book. It's gimmicky, sure, but I think it's the best presentation of those gimmicks yet, and it has a really strong, fluffy "feel" to it.

Gimmicky yes but the gimmicks dont carry it. God raiders are brilliant now :)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Gimmicky yes but the gimmicks dont carry it. God raiders are brilliant now :)

I would call raider spam a gimmick because it's something you'll always use, and it's pretty unique to the list (ark spam comes close but has some big differences).

But that's not a bad thing by any means. To a great extent, factions are defined by their gimmicks. You need that in a game with over a dozen different factions. The trick is making those gimmicks characterful and representative of the fluff. The DE codex succeeds at that trick. It basically boils down to deep striking boats of dudes and supporting units that get better over time, and that works perfectly for an army of evil space pirates who thrive on misery.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Where are these headlights from?

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012
Does anyone reckon if the regular version for the new IA13 be cheaper?

£50 is a little steep to pay for a fancy slip cover

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

leongzanfa posted:

Does anyone reckon if the regular version for the new IA13 be cheaper?

£50 is a little steep to pay for a fancy slip cover

all of the imperial armour books are areound 50 quid. So i don't think the price will be any different for the non slip cover version.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BULBASAUR posted:

Where are these headlights from?

Baneblade and the variants thereof. Although, that said, they may be part of the FW Deimos (?) upgrade kit that has been used on that model.

Edit: Nah, I think those are the Baneblade ones.

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012

Cataphract posted:

all of the imperial armour books are areound 50 quid. So i don't think the price will be any different for the non slip cover version.

Time to bite the bullet then

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

leongzanfa posted:

Time to bite the bullet then

i've got my copy here and it's great it's almost everything you ever wanted... I say almost cause The only thing that's holding it back from being perfect is that it seems that it has to comply with the restrictions of the regular GW line.

cHaos gain access to theor versions of all they loyalist FW stuff but not GW stuff. Storm eagles are fine but storm ravens are out. All the cool land raider variants are there but you still can only have lascannons on the side. You get access to the cool FW drop pods but not the regular ones.

there's some great stuff in here... upgrades to predators to have rending ammunition and ap3 autocannons are a standout so far for me.

i think my favourite thing is that to represent the fact tgat renegade militia have such a divided dedication to the cause; some are absolute devotees to the chaos gods whilst others are just along for the ride there's a rule that at the start of a battle you work out the leadership value of each unit. a unit of renegades has a leadership value of d6+4... which i think is just super.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That is a really cool rule.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I know opinion on Miniwargaming is split, but their current narrative campaign is kicking off with Sisters of Battle Vs. Genestealer cult inspired Tyranids! On a Zone Mortalis board, no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW4d5g_Q8BQ&index=1&list=UU2mQ7x6K74NBfmxBoMwZCnw

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Planning out a conversion project and wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts on the various third party jetbike minis. I want to make the Sammael equivalent for my DA successors, and I kinda like the Kromlech and Maxmini designs for differing reasons. Anyone had experience using either for conversion fodder or should I just bite the bullet and throw down the fifty bucks for the official fine cast model and make modifications from there?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Had a proxy game with my Chaos Daemons against Dark Eldar. Phantasm Launchers and Torment Grenade Launchers are not fun cause Daemons have Pseudo Fearless. Yuck. Do not like.

It was interesting , we did a small point game that took like a hour, but was still fun to see the new stuff even if he was substituting Eldar for Dark Eldar.

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012

Cataphract posted:

i've got my copy here and it's great it's almost everything you ever wanted... I say almost cause The only thing that's holding it back from being perfect is that it seems that it has to comply with the restrictions of the regular GW line.

cHaos gain access to theor versions of all they loyalist FW stuff but not GW stuff. Storm eagles are fine but storm ravens are out. All the cool land raider variants are there but you still can only have lascannons on the side. You get access to the cool FW drop pods but not the regular ones.

there's some great stuff in here... upgrades to predators to have rending ammunition and ap3 autocannons are a standout so far for me.

i think my favourite thing is that to represent the fact tgat renegade militia have such a divided dedication to the cause; some are absolute devotees to the chaos gods whilst others are just along for the ride there's a rule that at the start of a battle you work out the leadership value of each unit. a unit of renegades has a leadership value of d6+4... which i think is just super.

That sounds awesome! Although might be a nightmare to keep track of

Looking forward to the new fluffy dread rules too, more fun ways to field this fellow again

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PeterWeller posted:

Not really. The random leadership thing happens the first time the unit is required to take a Ld test, and is rolled for each unit that has the special rule. So it becomes an annoying chore to keep track of it all, especially since on average they'll have the same base Ld as most IG units.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

Not really. The random leadership thing happens the first time the unit is required to take a Ld test, and is rolled for each unit that has the special rule. So it becomes an annoying chore to keep track of it all, especially since on average they'll have the same base Ld as most IG units.

Okay yeah, that's too much book keeping. I was thinking they took a lesson from things like DE combat drugs, and you rolled once at the start of the game.

Hollismason posted:

Had a proxy game with my Chaos Daemons against Dark Eldar. Phantasm Launchers and Torment Grenade Launchers are not fun cause Daemons have Pseudo Fearless. Yuck. Do not like.

That occurred to me, and it seems like a big oversight, like they legitimately forgot demons don't have fearless anymore.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think that the IA 13 book will be good for Daemons. The basic troop units can get up to 30 guys, I look forward to just having 200 bodies on the table for like nothing.

Then just backed up with mass Daemons.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I just placed my first ever order from FW, buying IA13. :retrogames:

Broken Loose will (rightfully) have an even lower opinion of me than he already does.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

To be fair he probably has a vague distaste for each person who posts in these threads.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JerryLee posted:

I just placed my first ever order from FW, buying IA13. :retrogames:

Broken Loose will (rightfully) have an even lower opinion of me than he already does.

If it helps - my opinion of you went up.

This book is a FANTASTIC addition for any Chaos player.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

I am so incredibly excited that other people are seeing what I saw in this book as well. I am really thrilled with it and I am going to build an incredibly fun and fluffy Black Legion army that is based upon many of the units in this book. Basic CSM troops still pretty much suck - but I just don't care. I'm so looking forward to this.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

That's a nod to the old 3rd edition eye of terror campaign. In there you had the 'lost and the damned' list with chaos guard using the exact same rule.

I played panascope a few times with that list and it was neat, but kinda lovely at the same time. Why? You rolled their leadership after you deployed so it was tough to figure out your battle plan until you already committed all your guys. I hope in IA13 you roll before you deploy.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Baneblade and the variants thereof. Although, that said, they may be part of the FW Deimos (?) upgrade kit that has been used on that model.

Edit: Nah, I think those are the Baneblade ones.

Thanks dude! I have always wondered where they got those since it was never in the kit!

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 24, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

That's a nod to the old 3rd edition eye of terror campaign. In there you had the 'lost and the damned' list with chaos guard using the exact same rule.

I played panascope a few times with that list and it was neat, but kinda lovely at the same time. Why? You rolled their leadership after you deployed so it was tough to figure out your battle plan until you already committed all your guys. I hope in IA13 you roll before you deploy.

Haven't people quoted it as saying you roll when they need to take a LD test? So you're in the dark until then. It doesn't sound like the best rule but the book still sounds net awesome.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I know opinion on Miniwargaming is split, but their current narrative campaign is kicking off with Sisters of Battle Vs. Genestealer cult inspired Tyranids! On a Zone Mortalis board, no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW4d5g_Q8BQ&index=1&list=UU2mQ7x6K74NBfmxBoMwZCnw

What's wrong with miniwargaming? I think their battle reports are pretty fun most of the time, even if they do have bad players in them occasionally

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ghost Hand posted:

I am so incredibly excited that other people are seeing what I saw in this book as well. I am really thrilled with it and I am going to build an incredibly fun and fluffy Black Legion army that is based upon many of the units in this book. Basic CSM troops still pretty much suck - but I just don't care. I'm so looking forward to this.

I think FW did a really good good this time around, yeah- it's back on par with IA9/10/12, which were some of their best books to date in terms of presentation and rules. There's definitely stuff I don't like in there, like the random Leadership values for each Renegade unit (which is a pain in the rear end to track) and stuff like the Dreadclaw/Kharbybdis (which are still just kinda lovely versions of the Drop Pod), but most of the units in there are decent or even good and there's some real high points as well. The Renegades army list is also a nice addition, being both similar to IG but still different enough to care.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you really dig into the rules, the Dreadclaw is pretty good. Its better than a drop pod for an assault squad, but worse than one for a suicide shooting squad. At least in the HH books you need to think of it as a 1st turn flier that can assault turn 2 and not an armored deepstrike cylinder.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Twisted posted:

What's wrong with miniwargaming? I think their battle reports are pretty fun most of the time, even if they do have bad players in them occasionally

This thread tends to not like really enthusiastic people on YouTube sometimes?

I've always been a fan of them, although I haven't watched any of their videos in quite a while. Their painting videos are really helpful too. One of my group's players watches all of their narrative campaign videos, I've been meaning to catch up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

This thread tends to not like really enthusiastic people on YouTube sometimes?

I've noticed that every Youtube content producer and every web comic artist has goons that hate them and are more than willing to tell you all about it if you bring up that you like them anywhere on the forums :v:

Except for Kate Beaton anyway. So far.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh hai

Transports 20 and its probably AV14 or AV13. I bet it's going to cost 150 points or less, which includes a demolisher cannon. That would make this one hell of a good transport. God damnit forgeworld why can't marines have something cheap that's better than the lovely old rhino :mad:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Vehicles based on Malcador hulls :swoon:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Transports 20 and its probably AV14 or AV13. I bet it's going to cost 150 points or less, which includes a demolisher cannon. That would make this one hell of a good transport. God damnit forgeworld why can't marines have something cheap that's better than the lovely old rhino :mad:

Where are you getting 'demolisher cannon' from? I don't see one there. If it's any comfort most FW transports are overcosted. I really like the idea, in huge games, of those Gorgon super-heavy transports, but the points cost is a joke.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It's in a few of the pictures, replaces the lascannon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It says on FW that the twin-linked lascannon is standard, but can be replaced with the demolisher cannon at the expense of troop capacity

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Ghost Hand, call up FW and tell them their release schedule is awful. I don't want to buy Solar Auxilia until the book is out, but I also want to start Ultramarines. It's cruel to release them both.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My favorite part of MWG is the guy who is basically Badger from Breaking Bad. As far as I know, it may be the exact same guy.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
AbusePuppy is that Taylor Swift at a nerd shop?

:wow:

You know that model didn't medal because the judges felt that it did not respect the severity and very serious nature of Warhams.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

AbusePuppy is that Taylor Swift at a nerd shop?

:wow:

You know that model didn't medal because the judges felt that it did not respect the severity and very serious nature of Warhams.

M'banshee.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mango Polo posted:

M'banshee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

lol gently caress that frog