Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Whoa so it's Brink with fourth-wall-breaking humor? :smith:
That is simultaneously the most exciting and most depressing idea.

Man, Brink :smith:

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well 3rd/FPS games with parkour dynamics have historically worked so well. :smith:

What I decided tonight though, is that I want the next GTA game to be set in the world of Bojack Horseman. gently caress Vice City, I want jokes about scratching posts and cocaine and v-neck t-shirts and golden retrievers' hatred of mailmen. It's so bizarre it might be as amazing as the south park RPG.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I really liked the Heist missions from GTA V. It kind of reminds me of the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor, in that it's the coolest thing about the game, and you can tell they knew it too, but they weren't quite confident enough to follow through with it and the other 90 percent of the game leans on genre tropes you've played a million times before. If they put more of those in, beefed up the crew management system and cut out a few hours of the point-to-point drive/kill/follow missions that haven't changed at all since GTA 3, it would have been really cool.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Randallteal posted:

I really liked the Heist missions from GTA V. It kind of reminds me of the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor, in that it's the coolest thing about the game, and you can tell they knew it too, but they weren't quite confident enough to follow through with it and the other 90 percent of the game leans on genre tropes you've played a million times before. If they put more of those in, beefed up the crew management system and cut out a few hours of the point-to-point drive/kill/follow missions that haven't changed at all since GTA 3, it would have been really cool.

Did you get a chance to check out Watch Dogs? While the multiplayer stuff was mostly massively-unbalanced it added a really amazing level of stress to the game when you knew (or just suspected) that someone had invaded you game Dark Souls style and could be about to get a bunch of points for you not being able to find them - despite it having almost no negative repurcussions for being a losing invadee..

I still think the next GTA game would be better with slightly-random bad anthropomorphic animal puns interspersed with amazing guest star cameos, though.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

coyo7e posted:

Did you get a chance to check out Watch Dogs? While the multiplayer stuff was mostly massively-unbalanced it added a really amazing level of stress to the game when you knew (or just suspected) that someone had invaded you game Dark Souls style and could be about to get a bunch of points for you not being able to find them - despite it having almost no negative repurcussions for being a losing invadee..

I still think the next GTA game would be better with slightly-random bad anthropomorphic animal puns interspersed with amazing guest star cameos, though.

Not yet. For some reason I was expecting it to have a lot more cyberpunk flavor, and I was a little sick of traditional open world games after playing GTA V and Saints Row IV (which I was expecting to be a regular open world game and turned out to be a crazy cyberpunk game, but also mostly GTA-like.)

I would like to see the GTA team try something crazy too, but the impression I got from Jacked (the book about them by the Masters of Doom guy) is the Houser Brothers are laser focused on turning gangster movies into video games, and that's about it. There's a pretty funny anecdote in there about Sam Houser pressing hard for explicit sex in GTA San Andreas, and being flabbergasted when he's told it would turn into a big problem for them. Here's the e-mail he sent to their director of operations:

Sam Houser posted:

[J]ennifer, how are we going to handle the approval of certain bits of content in sa [San Andreas], we are keen to include new functionality and interaction in line with the ‘vibe' of the game. to this end, in addition to the violence and bad language, we want to include sexual content, which I understand is questionable to certain people, but pretty natural (more than violence), when you think about it and consider the fact that the game is intended for adults. Here are some examples of content that will be displayed graphically:

blowjobs
full sex (multiple positions)
dildo sex (including being able to kills [sic] someone with a dildo)
whipping (being whipped)
masturbation (one of the characters is compulsive; this MUST be kept)

all of these items are displayed both through cutsecnes [sic] and in-game. I know this is a tricky area but I want to find a way for this work; the concept of a glorified shop (walmart) telling us what we can/can't put in our game is just unacceptable on so many levels. All of this material is perfectly reasonable for an adult (of course it is!), so we need to push to continue to have our medium accepted and respected as a mainstream entertainment platform, we have always been about pushing the boundaries; we cannot stop here. . . . how do we proceed with this? we really don't want to cut these areas. please advise.

Judging by the strip club stuff in GTA V, I imagine not a lot's changed over there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, Jake/Chris, tell Sean he's had my number(my username at gmail dot com) for almost a year if he actually wants any of that stuff. :v:

Or I can just ambush him at PAX East if you guys go to the next one I guess

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I was thinking the same thing: even though I have no interest in any of the games they discussed, this is the most entertaining Idle Thumbs in quite a while.

Nick is back. :)

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

TetsuoTW posted:

I hadn't actually looked at Sunset Overdrive until right now. It seems like it could be cool, like a combination of Dead Rising, Jet Set Radio, and Borderlands (with fewer memes).

If you would like to see more, please consult this YouTube video.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's just really weird how I've not been able to tell at all, despite having seen a fair amount of gameplay footage of it, whether it could be good or not. Like there's lots of nice touches such as those respawn animations, but the grinding looks like poo poo. It's a back-and-forth of "looks interesting, maybe not"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

NuttO posted:

If you would like to see more, please consult this YouTube video.

I don't want to get this hype for this game, I don't even want an Xbone!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

coyo7e posted:

For real, thanks. I haven't heard of many games coming out this season and it's been getting frustrating - I'm spending my xbox $$$ on fishing lures and gas, instead. :unsmith:

stuff

I had to struggle to think of anything coming this season, too, mainly because near every game has been delayed into 2015.

Here are some more you might care about : Civilisation: Beyond Earth (Civ Rev but sci-fi, just released), the upcoming Dragon Age sequel, Lords of the Fallen (Dark Souls clone by ex-Witcher devs), two different Assassin's Creed games (one for next-gen, one for current-gen), a new Borderlands game, Little Big Planet 3, a bunch of remastered games (Halo 1-4 collection, GTA5, Kingdom Hearts), and that's ignoring all the Nintendo games, handheld games and indie/kickstarter poo poo I can't think of.

There's a decent gamut of noteworthy mainstream releases, even if most of what the publishers promised isn't gonna show up for a while.

RE: Alien Isolation, that game has won over a lot of skeptics, so you might wanna pay it a little more attention. It's a very specific type of horror game that can only really sustain itself for so long but it's great while it lasts and it definitely nails the atmosphere of the movie better than any other Alien game, or any other licensed game for that matter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Binding

Of

Isaac

loving

Rebirth

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, there's plenty of games but if you are not interested in the first 10 months of this year it's honestly a loss cause, especially if you're swearing off Nintendo for some reason.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I love when nick breckon guests on idle thumbs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Randallteal posted:

Judging by the strip club stuff in GTA V, I imagine not a lot's changed over there.

The fact that they think including a bunch of graphic simulated sex including dildo kills (which I hope doesn't mean what I think it does) will make video games more respected is almost too perfect.

Captain Invictus posted:

Binding

Of

Isaac

loving

Rebirth

I've found that you're either a binding of Isaac person or you think it's neat but you don't really get the obsession. I deffo fall into the latter category.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
BOI is a roguelike that is designed to be broken. There are so many mechanics and overpowered items, it's all about finding the path that leads to just bending the game over your knee. I once thought like that as well, that it was fun but eh, nothing special. Then I started reading the wiki and discovered just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Once you consistently make it to The Womb and The Chest, it can be incredibly challenging even if you've got a godly upgrade loadout. The Chest for example, well, it's got 2+ bosses in each room. It's insane. And then the final boss is a bullet hell shooter, basically.

And then they added the Wrath of the Lamb expansion which basically doubled the content. Edmund wanted to do more, but they had literally reached the limits of what the engine could handle, every attempt to add more to it corrupted the game code. So he rebuilt it from the ground up and that's Rebirth, which from what I hear doubles the content of the main game and Wrath of the Land combined.

It's going to have an insane amount of content. I've beaten BOI completely with almost every character and still haven't seen everything, Rebirth will have nigh-endless discoveries.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 24, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think its been a good year for niche games. It's not a year with big universal hits aside from the annual stuff but the spread of games has been far reaching. Some stuff I liked was Banner Saga, Broken Age (even if it's unfinished), Nidhogg, Octodad, Bravely Default, Danganronpa, Banished, DKC Tropical Freeze, South Park, Hearthstone, Age of Wonders 3, Super Time Force, Transistor, Valiant Hearts, Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight, Divinity Original Sin, Oddworld remake, Five Nights at Freddy's, Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, Bayonetta 2 hell yeah, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Dragonfall... been a good year for small titles. And coming out soon is loving Binding of Isaac in an engine that doesn't suck, Persona Q, Captain Toad, and Guilty Gear Xrd gently caress yeah.

Shadow of Mordor is the only "mainstream AAA" game I bought at full price this year (and it's loving awesome btw). Played a bit of Alien Isolation and will probably get that on sale but couldn't be interested in any other big name title and that's just fine with me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

al-azad posted:

I think its been a good year for niche games. It's not a year with big universal hits aside from the annual stuff

This is the year that two version of Super Smash brothers came out, it is really hard to get more universal and big than that outside of Pokemon who will also probably sell more copies than 90% of games released this year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tae posted:

This is the year that two version of Super Smash brothers came out, it is really hard to get more universal and big than that outside of Pokemon who will also probably sell more copies than 90% of games released this year.

Nintendo is such its own beast that I don't even count them. Of course Pokemon sells millions in a blink of the eye but I don't know about this Smash Bros. I don't know what the 3DS sales are looking like but there's certainly fewer Wii U consoles than the PS4 and maybe even the Xbone so that platform isn't looking hot even though Smash Bros is on my Christmas list.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Smash Bro 3DS is awesome and the WiiU version is going to be ever awesomer.

As a Nintendo fan it's fairly annoying to listen to guys drone on about how boring Destiny is for the 5th week in a row but sweet Nintendo games go unmentioned. Biased, all of them!

e: The 3DS version of Smash sold 2.8 million copies worldwide as of October 7th.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish there was a ban on Destiny chat. I don't think there's ever been a game that has been received so lukewarmly but discussed incessantly.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Wolfenstein was really good! It had some great nazi shooting and a plot that was pretty alright.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Brad Shoemaker's greatest crime in the past two months is never shutting up about Destiny even after agreeing to not talk about Destiny

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
If 2013 was Year of the Bow, then 2014 is Year of the AAA Wet Fart.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Captain Invictus posted:

Brad Shoemaker's greatest crime in the past two months is never shutting up about Destiny even after agreeing to not talk about Destiny

It's gotten to the point that I'm skipping past it now. It straight up sucks the air out of the room when he drones on and on about it, with Jeff there saying "yeah I don't know it sucks" and the other guys not saying anything.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I feel like he's talking about it because he feels he needs to talk about it because Destiny is the next big thing as Activision and Bungie and every media outlet has been telling us for years.

It's the worst and video games are horrible why do I keep playing these things.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like Destiny, but I can't stand hearing GB talk about it anymore. Thankfully this week's bombcast basically has zero Destiny talk in it (unless it's in the back third or so of the cast I haven't listened to).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I feel like he's talking about it because he feels he needs to talk about it because Destiny is the next big thing as Activision and Bungie and every media outlet has been telling us for years.

It's the worst and video games are horrible why do I keep playing these things.

Video games are great, games that are hidef veneers for endless grinding for digital things are horrible. I say that as someone who is spending hours and hours playing Diablo 3 to get slightly better gear. At a certain point it's no better than video poker and I should probably play a nice fun adventure game instead.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If 2013 was Year of the Bow, then 2014 is Year of the AAA Wet Fart.

Titanfall, Watch_Dogs, and Destiny. Are there others?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I keep seeing people say that Destiny sold a record amount of copies, that they've got a 10-year-plan that'll make it the best game ever, etc.

All I see is an incredible marketing campaign combined with a company with over a decade of built-up goodwill squandering it all on one of the most trite games of the year. How they blew half a billion dollars on something with a staggeringly low amount of content that somehow manages to be less inventive than WoW was at its outset(aside from being first-person) is mindblowing to me. It's like they're trying to create the WoW skinner box without the monthly fee, and I doubt the expansions will be even remotely satisfactory.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I like Destiny, but I can't stand hearing GB talk about it anymore. Thankfully this week's bombcast basically has zero Destiny talk in it (unless it's in the back third or so of the cast I haven't listened to).
I am pretty sure you are literally the only poster in the GB thread who has, after playing a fair amount of Destiny, come out of it with a positive outlook. Which is pretty impressive.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There are more and better triple-A games this year than last year, unless you thought the Last of Us was the epitome of video gaming in all facets.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
People like different things.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I am pretty sure you are literally the only poster in the GB thread who has, after playing a fair amount of Destiny, come out of it with a positive outlook. Which is pretty impressive.

Nah, me too. I've caught a lot of poo poo for it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The REAL Goobusters posted:

People like different things.

Shut down the internet, we've solved it

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Nah, me too. I've caught a lot of poo poo for it!
I really like Destiny. The shooting feels great, the movement feels great, the enemies are just varied enough in their AI for the planets to play out differently.

Game's fun. Not the best game ever but I really think at a different time in his life Jeff would be way less down on it.

Edit: the marketing sucked, the ads were annoying and I had no real interest in it until GB's raid videos.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Binding of Isaac is the single game I've put the most time into, including Dark Souls, which is crazy because I semi professionally talk about Dark Souls. I haven't been this hyped for a game since Fallout 3.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm looking forward to BOI's remake. I don't know why, but I just can't get myself to seriously play any game that runs on Flash. This may not be the fairest comparison, but I'd say the adoration for BOI is about the same as for Spelunky, but I don't see how it could possibly be anywhere near as good a game. Looking forward to being proved wrong, but even if I'm not impressed, I can just play some Spelunky!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I like BoI _significantly_ more than I like Spelunky. For me, it's about more variety in just about everything but specifically moveset. I think that Edmund knew that and said, "gently caress it, let's just have every single item synergize with every single other item," thus making a game where it seems like no two runs will actually be the same. Which is super appealing to me.

I also think Spelunky is a good game but it didn't grab me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I certainly feel like I can make more progress in a random game of BoI than Spelunky. I guess you can attribute that to the unlock nature where Spelunky adheres more traditionally to the roguelike model of running through a dungeon by the seat of your pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd be pretty darn happy to be proved wrong. Like I say, it's an unrealistic comparison, but whereas the very concept of Spelunky grabbed me immediately, BOI looks really good, but not brilliant. Still probably going to buy it and play it.

• Locked thread